6%
1%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootalyzer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wootalyzer

Wootalyzer's Pricing Post! - The price of today's woot item is saved here for future reference
------------------------------------------------------------
Asus 23.6" i3 4GB 1TB All-In-One PC
$579.99 + $5 Standard Shipping
Condition: Refurbished

*DISCLAIMER* Wootalyzer! is in no way affiliated with Woot!, and this post may not always be here!

rom

quality posts: 54 Private Messages rom

This would be perfect for Windows 8. I'd prefer the 27" though but this machine is great except for the integrated graphics card (for those into gaming or graphic intensive work)

Shinespark

quality posts: 30 Private Messages Shinespark

Seen this on Deals.woot before-- pretty decent AiO. The CPU isn't nearly as underclocked as laptop ones are, and it has a decent panel (for a TN one, anyway).

Some caveats, though:

No WLAN. You use an adapter or a CAT5/6 cable.
I remember the recovery software requiring you write to a USB drive and not an optical disk
Really stubby mouse, which won't work for some grips.
No analog inputs/passthroughs for use as a pseudo-TV.

rhycochet

quality posts: 16 Private Messages rhycochet

oooh, look how shiny everything is!

fingerprint magnet to the max...although because the color is "graphite," i'm seriously considering one just to match the color of my car.

...and everything else i own, apparently.

gpooni

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gpooni

which one is better?
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3988403&CatId=3839

sdc100

quality posts: 497 Private Messages sdc100

I'm not a fan of these all-in-one computers. Generally speaking, they use a lot of proprietary parts and are often not upgradeable, and difficult to repair. It's a major reason I don't allow Macs in my department, and why Macs can't get a foothold in the business world. With a regular Windows PC, if the monitor breaks, we have plenty of stock monitors in storage as replacement. Downtime is about 10 minutes. With these all-in-one models, i.e. Macs, sending the monitor out for repairs means sending the entire computer. Downtime is about a week. And it's much more expensive. Likewise for those who want to upgrade to a larger monitor. It's simply not an option with these all-in-ones, although you can clumsily try to add one through the USB port or VGA output.

The cramped space also means the inability to swap/add video and sound cards, extra ports (i.e. a legacy Firewire card), etc. Nor can you add in extra hard drives or optical drives, except through USB/eSATA. That means additional wires, power supplies and desk space. Disappointingly, this Asus can't read -- much less write -- Blu-rays. That means an external optical drive is a must in a few months, as Blu-rays are becoming the default permanent media of choice.

sdc100

quality posts: 497 Private Messages sdc100

Nor am I a fan of touchscreen PCs. History has shown them to be mostly useless in a desktop setting. They're only useful in public displays where users usually stand, and contact is brief. Otherwise, they take a lot of a energy just to make something happen. With a mouse of touchpad, some simple finger and wrist movement can move a cursor across the screen. With a touchscreen, you need to lift your entire arm and them move your wrist and fingers too. In fact, you also often need to bend forward using your waist. That's simply inefficient. And it's not just a matter of laziness. Moving your hand away from keyboard level is a break in flow.

I can't think of one desktop app where using a touchscreen is advantageous to using a mouse or touchpad -- or tablet digitizer (with pen) connected through USB. Tablet digitizer often measure pressure levels, which a touchscreen can't. Those can be bought for $20.

jensenrob91

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jensenrob91
gpooni wrote:which one is better?
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3988403&CatId=3839

I'd go with the Asus has usb 3.0 ports and 2 hdmi. The other one has a slightly better processor speed.

caferace

quality posts: 1 Private Messages caferace
sdc100 wrote:Likewise for those who want to upgrade to a larger monitor. It's simply not an option with these all-in-ones, although you can clumsily try to add one through the USB port or VGA output.

To be fair, it does have HDMI out.

hammerpatrol

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hammerpatrol
Shinespark wrote:Seen this on Deals.woot before-- pretty decent AiO. The CPU isn't nearly as underclocked as laptop ones are, and it has a decent panel (for a TN one, anyway).

Some caveats, though:

No WLAN. You use an adapter or a CAT5/6 cable.
I remember the recovery software requiring you write to a USB drive and not an optical disk
Really stubby mouse, which won't work for some grips.
No analog inputs/passthroughs for use as a pseudo-TV.

To be fair they do make USB WLAN cards. They're usually pretty cheap too. This for example. Cheap and small. Though you will be out a USB port.

Gatesay

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Gatesay

Can you mount this on a wall?
VESA mount would be great.

[MOD: Per the vendor - To wall mount this unit the customer must purchase an optional wall mount adapter from Asus and a wall mount kit. Asus recommends using the following, VESA100.]

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1062 Private Messages whatsamattaU

electricfx

quality posts: 4 Private Messages electricfx

Perfect Kitchen/Breakfast Bar Computer. Been wanting one for a long time. Hmmmmm...

greenchuck

quality posts: 0 Private Messages greenchuck
electricfx wrote:Perfect Kitchen/Breakfast Bar Computer. Been wanting one for a long time. Hmmmmm...

I was thinking the same thing, it could nice with Windows 8 slapped on it too.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 501 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Gatesay wrote:Can you mount this on a wall?
VESA mount would be great.

Morning! Per the vendor:

To wall mount this unit the customer must purchase an optional wall mount adapter from Asus and a wall mount kit. Asus recommends using the following, VESA100.

jwebster34

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jwebster34

What software is installed ie Windows__, anything else?

catamount1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages catamount1
jwebster34 wrote:What software is installed ie Windows__, anything else?

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

heyyu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages heyyu

Wonder how easy it is to upgrade the internal components -

"Yes, you can upgrade the memory, the hard drive, and the optical disc drive by removing the back panel of the monitor/desktop. Access to the memory will be under a silver metal shield that you will need to remove to get access to do the SO-DIMM memory slots. The hard drive is a standard 3.5'' desktop hard drive which you will see in the center when you remove the back panel. The DVD drive is a standard notebook DVD drive with a removable bezel so you can remove the drive and install a notebook Blu-ray drive if you'd like and reinstall the removable bezel after installing the Blu-ray drive."

One day Baggie of Cthulhu, you will be mine

heyyu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages heyyu

Wish it had a tv tuner and a better graphics card.

One day Baggie of Cthulhu, you will be mine

garrettwheat

quality posts: 3 Private Messages garrettwheat
catamount1 wrote:Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

I'm sure you'd qualify for the $15 upgrade to Windows 8 if purchased.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 501 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

garrettwheat wrote:I'm sure you'd qualify for the $15 upgrade to Windows 8 if purchased.

The last upgrade program I heard was for new PCs. This is a refurbished one.

mbecker

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mbecker

I bought 2 of these ASUS all in ones for my office....may not be the same models but similar. They are awesome...the HDMI out is nice for setting up a second monitor. No complaints so far any I may end up getting this for my home.

tike012

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tike012

Can anyone provide feedback regarding the quality of the touchscreen and how it compares to other capacitive/resistive models? I know someone with a similar all-in-one type system with what I can only guess is a resistive touchscreen, and that aspect of the computer goes pretty much unused nowadays. When I tried it I felt it to be too laggy for regular use.

Big Jim

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Big Jim

I tried to buy one of these today. When the price came up there was a $43. charge for TAX! One of the reasons to shop on line is so we won't have to PAY TAX! So when it showed up on the screen I declined.. Be warned.
Big Jim

iwade2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages iwade2

How do I connect to the internet?
Can I connect a 2nd monitor and view 2 programs simultaneously

mstrblueskys

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mstrblueskys

Just FYI - the specs here say it has no Wifi, but on Amazon and on Tiger Direct it says it has built in wifi.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
Big Jim wrote:I tried to buy one of these today. When the price came up there was a $43. charge for TAX! One of the reasons to shop on line is so we won't have to PAY TAX! So when it showed up on the screen I declined.. Be warned.
Big Jim

Sales tax is always charged on shipping.
What state?
Effective September 1, 2012, Woot, Inc. was required to begin collecting sales tax on orders shipped to destinations in Kentucky and Pennsylvania.
Effective September 15, 2012, Woot, Inc. was required to begin collecting sales tax on orders shipped to destinations in California.

Hope this helps.

I'm just hanging out, really.

mcahren

quality posts: 6 Private Messages mcahren

Sooo tempted.. We need a new PC for the kitchen nook, where we currently have both a small TV and an old, underpowered laptop. I already have a USB TV tuner, and the main family room TV is literally right around the corner from the nook, about 4' away, so this could act as a HTPC. I might also be able to split the main TVs DVR HDMI signal over to this to display the same program on both, though maybe not.. not sure about HDCP. We're only watching OTA on the current TV in the nook, full on cable would be nice.

I would probably buy 8GB of RAM right off the bat, and I could use a wireless laser printer. I will probably attach my 3TB ext HDD.

Sorry for the ramblings, just thinking out loud, trying to justify.

minniesm

quality posts: 1 Private Messages minniesm
mstrblueskys wrote:Just FYI - the specs here say it has no Wifi, but on Amazon and on Tiger Direct it says it has built in wifi.

I could swear last night it listed 802.11 wifi but today it doesn't show it. When I go to specs it has Wireless - none. Woot, are you just not saying it has wifi? Why would I want to buy any computer without wifi?

chompahs

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chompahs

Tempting, have an hp this size with Wi-Fi, blue- ray,tv tuner & remote but was also bout twice the price. I do use the touch screen more than expected, mainly while running around multi-tasking, don't sit behind a desk all day.

MichXelle

quality posts: 35 Private Messages MichXelle
inkycatz wrote:Sales tax is always charged on shipping.
What state?
Effective September 1, 2012, Woot, Inc. was required to begin collecting sales tax on orders shipped to destinations in Kentucky and Pennsylvania.
Effective September 15, 2012, Woot, Inc. was required to begin collecting sales tax on orders shipped to destinations in California.

Hope this helps.

It stinks but you guys have to follow the law. It's not your fault. So far the rest of the states don't require it unless you reside in the state where the merchandise is shipped from.

Thanks for clarifying the new laws that began in September.

OVER 518 W00T CARTFULS as of 04/01/14. You're killing us with wonderful items W000T!

OVER 7 years on The W00T Forum, since 02/06 with now a whopping 34 Quality Posts L-M-A-O! We do post quality information as do others that isn't recognized. Thanks for the 3 in 1 entire week! We're humbled. 3 additional noticed in 3 months.

pinstripesuit

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pinstripesuit

Unfortunately, the touch screen has a bezel, which means you will have a very hard time using the side swipe gestures from Windows 8

rom wrote:This would be perfect for Windows 8. I'd prefer the 27" though but this machine is great except for the integrated graphics card (for those into gaming or graphic intensive work)

Dkw5334

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Dkw5334

Is this a touch screen this would be a great deal if this was a touch screen. Anyone?

Leng

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Leng
Dkw5334 wrote:Is this a touch screen this would be a great deal if this was a touch screen. Anyone?

Would you like me to read the product description to you?

djcro

quality posts: 0 Private Messages djcro
Dkw5334 wrote:Is this a touch screen this would be a great deal if this was a touch screen. Anyone?

Hint: Bullet 3!

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 140 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

iwade2 wrote:How do I connect to the internet?
Can I connect a 2nd monitor and view 2 programs simultaneously

We've confirmed that this model is listed as not having built-in WiFi capabilities. If you want to connect to the Internet with this model, you can do so via an Ethernet connection.

Sincerely,
Woot Staff

ORDER CANCELLATION: now within 15 mins, click here for more details...
Need Some Help? Hit us up at support@woot.com
Have Any Questions? Check out Woot FAQ
Wanna Hear What's Going on All Things Woot? Swing by Our Blog

djames42

quality posts: 7 Private Messages djames42
sdc100 wrote:I'm not a fan of these all-in-one computers. Generally speaking, they use a lot of proprietary parts and are often not upgradeable, and difficult to repair. It's a major reason I don't allow Macs in my department, and why Macs can't get a foothold in the business world.

Funny you don't allow Macs in your department because of the concern over a part dying. I work on a team of 23, 22 of whom use PCs. In seven years I've had two Mac Minis on my desk. In seven years, I've spent exactly zero dollars keeping my machine running, while Every.Single.Person.On.My.Team has had their machines out multiple times for hardware replacements and for re-imaging due to system crashes. Not only have these cost money in hardware and support costs, they've also cost the company even more money in loss of productivity due to workers sitting on their thumbs while their machines are replaced.

Seems to me that if long-term cost and reliability is your concern, then you should stop allowing PCs in your department and only allow Macs.

zarchitect

quality posts: 3 Private Messages zarchitect

I'm not sure about all-in-one PC's... with planned obsolescence (wiki it if you have to), one thing goes and the whole thing has to go! Just get a small form-factor tower to shove behind your monitor and get the same effect without the "built-in" worry...

howard8122

quality posts: 0 Private Messages howard8122
MichXelle wrote:It stinks but you guys have to follow the law. It's not your fault. So far the rest of the states don't require it unless you reside in the state where the merchandise is shipped from.

Thanks for clarifying the new laws that began in September.

I believe the following conditions to be true:

"When the sale is taxable, delivery charges are NOT taxable when all of the following are met:

You ship directly to the purchaser by common carrier, U.S. Mail, or contract carrier;

Your invoice clearly lists delivery, freight, postage, or shipping as a separate charge;

The charge is not higher than the actual cost for delivery to the customer.

Taken from the website "salestaxsupport.com"