WootBot


quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

In Through The Outdoors

If you're going to a wedding, you wear a suit. If you're going to a dance, you wear a dress. If you're going to spend some time camping in the outdoors, you need to prepare for that too. It's not a sign of weakness, it's a sign of intelligence! Load up now, right here, and you won't have to run into the bathroom and cry because Judy took your boyfriend. Yes, we all heard the story.



Quality Posts

  • (9:52 AM, 10/1/2012) rambo91145 recommends the Kelty duo.
  • (10:38 AM, 10/1/2012) bryan1436 wonders about flying with the battery pack.


inkycatz


quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

An assortment of little things (and not so little things) we've seen before for the outdoors. Reviews, anyone?

I'm just hanging out, really.

rambo91145


quality posts: 4 Private Messages rambo91145

Can someone confirm the light a life comes w a 12 v cig plug? I read on amazon one review that said it does just that it wasn't pictured. Can someone confirm? I want to use this in my pop up when dry camping. Thanks!

rambo91145


quality posts: 4 Private Messages rambo91145

For the kealty duo I have it in green. I use it for a pool bag, enough room in the bottom for a couple of blue ice packs, couple of beers and a juice box. The top part is good sized to hold all of your pool stuff. It would be good for a picnic too.the straps are nice for walking a bit to make it easy to carry. The build quality is good, but the zippers do tend to stick a bit sometime, not a deal breaker though, just when I'm in a hurry. It would help to lube them with ivory soap, overall a good buy!

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 617 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

rambo91145 wrote:Can someone confirm the light a life comes w a 12 v cig plug? I read on amazon one review that said it does just that it wasn't pictured. Can someone confirm? I want to use this in my pop up when dry camping. Thanks!


Our sale matches the information directly from Goal Zero. Per their site:

What's in the Box

1 x Light-a-Life 3 watt LED Light
1 x 12V male cigarette adapter
1 x 9' cord & patented carabiner



FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

rambo91145


quality posts: 4 Private Messages rambo91145
ThunderThighs wrote:Our sale matches the information directly from Goal Zero. Per their site:

What's in the Box

1 x Light-a-Life 3 watt LED Light
1 x 12V male cigarette adapter
1 x 9' cord & patented carabiner



Ah excellent! Glad I purchased without knowing for sure because they are gone! Thanks for the info!

bennnnard


quality posts: 1 Private Messages bennnnard

I regretted not getting the Light-a-Life last time around. got two this time.

totally loving the briefcase solar panels and escape battery pack so far. awesome for car camping or even just going to the park for a few hours, when i need some juice while relaxing in the grass!

bryan1436


quality posts: 9 Private Messages bryan1436

Has anyone tried to fly in the US with one of these? I understand that extra batteries must be stored in your carry-on (not checked) but would the TSA have a problem with me bringing this on a plane?

edit: this is in regards to the battery pack.

hondac95


quality posts: 3 Private Messages hondac95
bryan1436 wrote:Has anyone tried to fly in the US with one of these? I understand that extra batteries must be stored in your carry-on (not checked) but would the TSA have a problem with me bringing this on a plane?

edit: this is in regards to the battery pack.



These are lead-acid batteries, which are considered hazardous to any airline, but since these are sealed, there might be a chance they will let them through. You should check with the airline and/or TSA. By no mean bring these in your carry on! they will take them unless these are in wheelchairs. Only lithium batteries are the ones acceptable for carry-on. You might get away in checked baggage since these are installed in a device for such purpose and not as stand alone batteries. The best recommendation is to check before you fly to prevent any embarrassment.

If you are flying domestic, the best way would be using a ground carrier and let the batteries travel by themselves to your destination. If you are flying out of the country....

wvutkep1002


quality posts: 6 Private Messages wvutkep1002

What's up with the woot plus deals always showing items in the banner that aren't in the sale? I'd love a lantern like the one shown in the top photo, but that is not offered in the sale.

It's like the radio station that keeps playing your favorite song, but 10 seconds into it you realize they just used it for an ad and weren't going to give you what you want.

I just keep buying more and more crap...

hondac95


quality posts: 3 Private Messages hondac95
wvutkep1002 wrote:What's up with the woot plus deals always showing items in the banner that aren't in the sale? I'd love a lantern like the one shown in the top photo, but that is not offered in the sale.

It's like the radio station that keeps playing your favorite song, but 10 seconds into it you realize they just used it for an ad and weren't going to give you what you want.



Woot = Amazon, which translate to "look for it in Amazon at a regular price". This is a common form of advertising.

wvutkep1002


quality posts: 6 Private Messages wvutkep1002
hondac95 wrote:Woot = Amazon, which translate to "look for it in Amazon at a regular price". This is a common form of advertising.



BINGO!

http://www.amazon.com/GOAL-0-Lighthouse/dp/B007QVW5MM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1349118179&sr=8-3&keywords=goal+zero+lantern

I just keep buying more and more crap...

dunkelbox


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dunkelbox

Does the Life Gear Flashlight include the aluminium case?

commonwealth109


quality posts: 1 Private Messages commonwealth109

Looks like this model (530 according to specs) is not the model (434 on Amazon) that comes with the aluminum carry case.

kurtois


quality posts: 1 Private Messages kurtois

I mean, after four hours, this stuff disappeared.

May those who bought to resell have cockroaches fill your sheets.

PemberDucky


quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

kurtois wrote:I mean, after four hours, this stuff disappeared.

May those who bought to resell have cockroaches fill your sheets.




we keep safeguards in place to prevent such things, but i like this curse quite a bit.


-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

labgrant


quality posts: 2 Private Messages labgrant

I've been looking for a masculine sort of picnic tote for years; the Kelty Duo Pack 12 certainly fits the bill. In for 1.

thehirsches


quality posts: 0 Private Messages thehirsches

Seriously? Do you think you can get a bit more of the Goal Zero product in stock before posting it up for sale? Sold out after just a couple hours is insane.

I've been checking the site for weeks to try to grab a solar panel and have missed it by minutes multiple times and yes, am bitter.

Now we get to wade through weeks of knives, polo shirts and backpacks no one wants till you get another two or three units in to sell.

How about putting in an alert function so we will be notified when keywords come up?

frosty2469


quality posts: 4 Private Messages frosty2469
thehirsches wrote:Seriously? Do you think you can get a bit more of the Goal Zero product in stock before posting it up for sale? Sold out after just a couple hours is insane.

I've been checking the site for weeks to try to grab a solar panel and have missed it by minutes multiple times and yes, am bitter.

Now we get to wade through weeks of knives, polo shirts and backpacks no one wants till you get another two or three units in to sell.

How about putting in an alert function so we will be notified when keywords come up?




If you are waiting for a Roomba, you are going to be very, very happy...

clark106


quality posts: 2 Private Messages clark106
thehirsches wrote:Seriously? Do you think you can get a bit more of the Goal Zero product in stock before posting it up for sale? Sold out after just a couple hours is insane.

I've been checking the site for weeks to try to grab a solar panel and have missed it by minutes multiple times and yes, am bitter.

Now we get to wade through weeks of knives, polo shirts and backpacks no one wants till you get another two or three units in to sell.

How about putting in an alert function so we will be notified when keywords come up?



I keep missing the Plus deals on solar panels as well. 3rd time they have sold out. I would like a key-word email alert like the daily email digest I get.

ferretrodeo


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ferretrodeo
clark106 wrote:I keep missing the Plus deals on solar panels as well. 3rd time they have sold out. I would like a key-word email alert like the daily email digest I get.



I've been wanting to get the goal zero products for months but they keep selling out. Really pissing me off. Think we should write the company and complain?

tc1uscg


quality posts: 2 Private Messages tc1uscg
inkycatz wrote:An assortment of little things (and not so little things) we've seen before for the outdoors. Reviews, anyone?



Goal zero's outdoor solar panals are ok but performance in anything but mid-day sun is questionable. However, seeing the items listed here, when they were posted and when they were sold out makes me wonder if this is just another one of WOOT's train-wreck tatic to have one or two popular items while having plenty of the junky items no one wants? This isn't the first time they have recycled past postings when the item was sold out upon posting or was gone in nanoseconds. Just sayin.

TC1 USCG Ret

thehirsches


quality posts: 0 Private Messages thehirsches

If you look at the sales stats of the solar panel, they sold out within one hour of posting. One hour on a Monday night. I could see it if it was a woot off or a weekend, but a Monday? That tells me their stock was severely limited.

Back to watch the water bottles, cheap cameras and refurb TVs not sell.

hondac95


quality posts: 3 Private Messages hondac95
thehirsches wrote:If you look at the sales stats of the solar panel, they sold out within one hour of posting. One hour on a Monday night. I could see it if it was a woot off or a weekend, but a Monday? That tells me their stock was severely limited.

Back to watch the water bottles, cheap cameras and refurb TVs not sell.



Actually this was Monday morning - I know as I was there when they got in, and as you said, sold out within the hour. There are people that actually wait until the "door opens". Based on the stat probably less than 10 got sold.

bryan1436


quality posts: 9 Private Messages bryan1436
tc1uscg wrote:Goal zero's outdoor solar panals are ok but performance in anything but mid-day sun is questionable. However, seeing the items listed here, when they were posted and when they were sold out makes me wonder if this is just another one of WOOT's train-wreck tatic to have one or two popular items while having plenty of the junky items no one wants? This isn't the first time they have recycled past postings when the item was sold out upon posting or was gone in nanoseconds. Just sayin.



I use Goal Zero's Nomad 7 Solar Panel (purchased at Costco about a year ago) and it is fantastic. I was able to keep all of my USB items charged in the Philippines (admittedly, a lot of sun) and also on trips to Maine to an island without electricity. I find that even in less-than-direct sun I am able to both charge a USB phone (Samsung Galaxy S II) and the battery pack that directly plugs to the panel. That is the best performance I have seen out of any solar panel of this size.

Not commenting on the limited availability of the solar panels on this sale, as I would have loved to pick up one of the larger panels; just wanted to offer a counter to your claims of poor performance out of their solar panel products - based on just about a year of rather heavy use.

ng1404


quality posts: 5 Private Messages ng1404

What makes the Goal Zero Boulder 15 Solar Panel so special? It is just like any other bare 15W panel but with a coax plug (instead of bare wire) as output to connect to the Goal Zero Escape 150 Power Pack. $75 seems like a good price for it, compared to $128 currently at Amazon (the panel was $97 for a week in September). You can buy the Instapark 15W Solar Panel of similar size and rating for under $60 and add a $1 coax plug if you need to connect it to the Power Pack.

Judging from the sales stats charts there seemed to be only 4 solar panels and 20 power packs available for sale

iwanderafar


quality posts: 2 Private Messages iwanderafar

I really wish Woot would add more pictures of the items (top, bottom, side, inside, packaging, etc), even if it's a snapshot from someone's pocket camera. Sometimes the descriptions just aren't full enough.

thehirsches


quality posts: 0 Private Messages thehirsches
bryan1436 wrote:I use Goal Zero's Nomad 7 Solar Panel (purchased at Costco about a year ago) and it is fantastic.



I agree. I got the Nomad 7 with the lantern as a kit at Costco, as well, and use it all the time to charge things. I took it to Yosemite, this summer, when we stayed in the tents with no electricity. Clipped the Nomad to my backpack so was charging as we hiked.

That is a great little kit. I wish the you could daisy chain the 7 as I'd get a couple. (You can add one to the end of the chain, if you are using the bigger units, per Goal Zero.)

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 617 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

iwanderafar wrote:I really wish Woot would add more pictures of the items (top, bottom, side, inside, packaging, etc), even if it's a snapshot from someone's pocket camera. Sometimes the descriptions just aren't full enough.

We do try but sometimes we don't get samples in to photograph or we don't get them in time. That's when we have to rely on the vendor's photos. Sorry.



FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

mtnhrdgr2


quality posts: 1 Private Messages mtnhrdgr2

I too have missed out on the last 3 woots selling the Goal Zero panels. It is quite frustrating that these things sell out so fast. Along with others here, I also request that more than just a handfull of these be sold at one time. Hopefully I can catch the next one.

I bought two of the Escape 150 battery packs. These are great! I plug these in the wall and keep them plugged until needed. Yes it is safe, there is a built in smart charger that reduces to a trickle to protect the battery. I have used these to power fans, lamps, and other small kitchen appliances when we have a power outage (there's been a couple this summer in my area of San Jose).

Since someone mentioned it in their post: with regards to Nomad 7 and the Guide 10 PLUS - I agree with the above posts. This is a great little package. One quick note to everyone regarding the Nomad and the Guide 10 (typically sold together as a package deal)...there are two versions of the Guide 10 out there for sale: the original Guide 10 and the updated Guide 10 PLUS. DO NOT buy the original Guide 10 - this thing makes 'shorting' noises. Goal Zero tells you that it is normal. I call BS - shorting noises on electronics is NOT normal. I bought the orignal from Costco and two replacements. ALL three made the noise. When Costo sold the newer verion (Nomad 7 and Guide 10 Plus), I returned the old one and got the new one.

Also, the old Guide 10 only puts out 0.5amps. The Guide 10 Plus puts out 1.0amps. This makes a difference, especially for folks with iPhones. The Guide 10 could not charge my iphone, but the Guide 10 Plus can. Standard iPhone chargers put out 5V at 1amp.

spacelunatic


quality posts: 4 Private Messages spacelunatic

"Outdoors"?

I don't understand...