dianewagner64

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dianewagner64

I just bought this last month at Best Buy online for about a 100 less.

exador1955

quality posts: 0 Private Messages exador1955
wabetchubot wrote:So...is this a good buy?

Well... Yes and No. The graphics are Intel, not a first choice. I would look for a laptop with nvidia graphics and a smaller solid state drive. If you can hold out until Black Friday look then and stand in line. Also, 90 days on the Warranty? Boy, they really stand behind the product. 90 days is OK for the $38 Sony Bloggie I just got but for $600 I would need at least 1 year. Most places let you buy insurance for 2 more years. I bought a refurb Acer netbook 3 years ago at a local store called Micro Center and it came with a one year warranty. Minimum to me for a laptop/netbook.

exador1955

quality posts: 0 Private Messages exador1955
rswearingin0320 wrote:Literally just got this at bestbuy 1.5 months ago, kind of kicking myself now because of the $150 price difference. In all honesty I've been totally satisfied with my purchase. I use my machine for everything from word processing, online classroom access, web browsing, and email to Remote Desktop access, adobe master suite cs6, streaming video, & light gaming (terarria & AOE). I've never had any issues with performance. It does get a little warm when multitasking several programs at once but a cheap cooling pad negates that issue. Echoing what others have mentioned the touchpad and keyboard are not the best. My advice, get a wireless mouse and if you're a fast typist be sure to proofread and check for missed keystrokes. This is by no means a "gaming" laptop but from my experience can handle most games (eg; Starcraft) on low graphics. I've even begun to use mine as my primary work computer by installing our point-of-sales system on it and running my reports and paperwork from this machine. It's light, thin, and an overall great value. If you go in to the purchase aware of (and ok with) the issues concerning the touchpad and keyboard I can't see any reason you would be disappointed.

Wow, CS6 on a 14" - that's dedication. I have dual 24" monitors at work and still feel crowded!

nopistn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nopistn

thankfully it has integrated graphics or I would be blowing money right now.

Slurm

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Slurm
groovieknave wrote:So, is it just me or does this show a dual core in the title but it is a quad core??? Since when was an i7 ever a dual core??? Anyways, not bad for 600... I would wait for black friday when all of these will be 400$

Nevermind, guess there was a dual core i7 at some point...

Intel Core i7-2640M Processor Specifications <-- click the link for details!

It is a dual-core (with hyper threading) second generation (Sandy Bridge) mobile processor.

Pretty nice balance between battery drain and performance.

Tempting...

jspielfogel

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jspielfogel
exador1955 wrote:Well... Yes and No. The graphics are Intel, not a first choice. I would look for a laptop with nvidia graphics and a smaller solid state drive. If you can hold out until Black Friday look then and stand in line. Also, 90 days on the Warranty? Boy, they really stand behind the product. 90 days is OK for the $38 Sony Bloggie I just got but for $600 I would need at least 1 year. Most places let you buy insurance for 2 more years. I bought a refurb Acer netbook 3 years ago at a local store called Micro Center and it came with a one year warranty. Minimum to me for a laptop/netbook.

But the question is, is the graphics capability for this laptop upgradeable?

kellyjgilbert

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kellyjgilbert

That makes this more tempting....

realitybytez wrote:yes, keyboard is backlit.

D300

quality posts: 1 Private Messages D300

Asus sucks, I am photographer and have always had a built to order laptop, 2 gateways, never a problem, got 5 years off one, heavy use. now 18 months into Asus 73s something or another, modified for me, and nothing but trouble, video cards such, and they keep sending me to some damn site rather than take it back and fix it. Just got consumer reports, and there was only 1 Asus even mentioned.

deladroid

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deladroid
D300 wrote:Asus sucks, I am photographer and have always had a built to order laptop, 2 gateways, never a problem, got 5 years off one, heavy use. now 18 months into Asus 73s something or another, modified for me, and nothing but trouble, video cards such, and they keep sending me to some damn site rather than take it back and fix it. Just got consumer reports, and there was only 1 Asus even mentioned.

When you say "modified for me" do you mean someone custom built it for you? Or you built it to order through Asus like your old Gateway?

Jasee

farley1guy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages farley1guy

If you're in the market for a mighty laptop, let me suggest you keep on shopping. There are still a few good deals out there. Many far better than here, I'm sad to say. Was a time when WOOT could be counted the Best of Carrions - picking red meat bargains off the slimmest of carcasses.
Hello Amazon - Goodbye woot!
Try here: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3924783&CatId=4935
It's an Ivy Bridge with all the right bells and whistles = Dual core i5-3210M, 500G -HD (but at only 5400), USB 2 +3, HDMI, BLUE TOOTH, AND NEW @ $450.
[mod: site advertising links removed]
Good luck and sweet hunting.
justfarley

By-Tor

quality posts: 1 Private Messages By-Tor
harobikes333 wrote:So... for ~ $150 extra dollars you get 275 more days worth of warranty.
Or roughly nine more months of warranty.
For the math challenged
Refurbished = 90 day warranty
New = 1 year warranty (365 days)
So 365-90 days= 275

Choices, choices, choices...

You are excluding Tax, as well right? Also, if you buy new and you use your Credit card (most of them that is), you can double the warranty. If this were new with a 1 year warranty, I'd be all over it.

farley1guy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages farley1guy
JONTIMKO wrote:Would this be good for HD video editing? That's what its main function would be.

NO.
You need to get something with a dedicated graphics chip.Remember there are two variables: the machines ability to process graphics, AND the screen's ability to show them to you. You really need both.

vmar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vmar

Is the graphics card Intel 3000 or 4000 as stated at BestBuy?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 605 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

vmar wrote:Is the graphics card Intel 3000 or 4000 as stated at BestBuy?

It's the 3000 as stated both on our Specs and the BestBuy page as well. You may be looking at a different laptop ?

This is it

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

D300

quality posts: 1 Private Messages D300
deladroid wrote:When you say "modified for me" do you mean someone custom built it for you? Or you built it to order through Asus like your old Gateway?

built to order, but BTO does not mean today, what it did 10 years ago, that is why i said modified. Used to take 2 to 3 weeks to get one built with all the bell and Tiff screens, now HD, ETC.

Soulius

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Soulius
wabetchubot wrote:So...is this a good buy?

So i just bought this exact computer off of my buddy for 400, and I can say this lil guy is AMAZING however I did put in a SSD, and the performance is solid,

for a performance Idea you can play League of legends on this unit at medium detail and have it hardly ever chop or lag, it defaulted to high but frame rate couldn't hang there too long once the action started it was choppy.

Now the one CON that I found is yes it doesn't have a discrete graphics card so the main issue that I have noticed... this bad boy while gaming ONLY gaming have i noticed gets VERY HOT... that being said I don't use mine for gaming i use it for photoshop running applications like fruityloops and doing production work, Remote desktop work and heavy browsing, Its very fast very light and with a SSD the battery goes MILES! you can easily pull 8 hours of use out of it with a SSD

cornellbigred

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cornellbigred

couldn't find anything on the internet for "Ten Horns Robotics"

lucianato

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lucianato
Kankennon wrote:Beware!

I got the Asus refurb Woot from last week: http://www.woot.com/offers/asus-15-6-dual-core-laptop yesterday and the keyboard doesn't work.
I tried using the on-screen keyboard workaround to log in, update Windows drivers, et al, and got the keyboard to barely work for a short time (for maybe an hour or two), but then a few hours later upon reboot, and multiple tries since then, not at all.
I'll have to call in for return authorization tomorrow.

Beware of Asus refurbs!!!

Now, this could go for any refurbs, not just Asus. And all these computers aren't Quality Assured brand new out of the box so you're going to have a dud every once and awhile. It's sad that people have problems with their computers because once they have an issue with one brand, they immediately crap-talk that brand even when there are 1000s of other great working computers of the same company. My only qualms I have are with Dell. I've fixed so many Dells that I just pop in the Windows 7 Home Premium disc when I fix one to get rid of all the Dell proprietary bullsh** software so the thing will run faster. I'm not saying that all Dells suck. I'm just saying I'm fixing them all the time because so many people have them over other computers. Kinda sad, in my opinion. Easy as Dell... pfft!

425arts2787

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 425arts2787

Aren't laptops with i7 at least quad core?

Craig234

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Craig234

Pet peeve with graphics ads: they always use the same adjectives to lather praise on the graphics no matter how bad.

"1366 x 768 resolution showcases movies and games in stunning clarity"

Ya, 1377x768 is really "stunning".

Also, the absolute worst you can expect in any laptop with a screen this size for years. Apparently actually good graphics clarity like 1920x1024 wouuld actually injure, not stun.

Pet peeve over. Otherwise, seems like a good laptop.

rswearingin0320

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rswearingin0320
jamio wrote:I had one of the other U47A models and it had a backlit keyboard, does yours/this one have one as well?

It does, probably one of my favorite "little" touches about this PC.

rswearingin0320

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rswearingin0320
exador1955 wrote:Wow, CS6 on a 14" - that's dedication. I have dual 24" monitors at work and still feel crowded!

I should specify. It's strictly when I'm away from my desktop with 24" LCD monitor. It's not ideal but does the job mostly...

ndbaily13

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ndbaily13
thejumbo wrote:Anyone own this thing? How is the graphics performance? Battery life?

Seems like a lot of computer for the money...

I have core i5 and my graphics card is awesome and its also suitable for gaming and personal works and i think core i7 is more better than core i5.

rustyt863

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rustyt863

Just got this in the mail yesterday and it doesn't detect the [Goodnight, everybody!]ing battery...

mickagius

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mickagius

Bought this laptop from Woot and the silly thing keeps freezing. Anyone else encountered this and found a resolution? Literally had it for 1 week.