3%
2%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootalyzer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wootalyzer

Wootalyzer's Pricing Post! - The price of today's woot item is saved here for future reference
------------------------------------------------------------
L5 Universal Remote
$19.99 + $5 Standard OR $8 Two-Day OR $11 One-Day Shipping
Condition: New

*DISCLAIMER* Wootalyzer! is in no way affiliated with Woot!, and this post may not always be here!

shaver

quality posts: 3 Private Messages shaver

I have one of these, they are neat but I ended up just using my remotes. too much work to search for the plug-in and open the app every time i want to skip a commercial

-Chad

kahluabomb

quality posts: 3 Private Messages kahluabomb

Not very universal when it only works on apple products

ChicagoJack

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ChicagoJack

Got one of these for an android ??

rom

quality posts: 54 Private Messages rom

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 604 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

kahluabomb wrote:Not very universal when it only works on apple products

ChicagoJack wrote:Got one of these for an android ??

As soon as all the phone manufacturers decide on a universal connector....

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

ChicagoJack

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ChicagoJack
ThunderThighs wrote:As soon as all the phone manufacturers decide on a universal connector....

The Cubs might win the World Series before that happens

jamesbottomtooth

quality posts: 41 Private Messages jamesbottomtooth

i like the ≠ 'not equal' sign on the package. that's right, using remote is not the same as using iDevice.. looks like a faux pas on their side.

madbomber48

quality posts: 0 Private Messages madbomber48
ThunderThighs wrote:As soon as all the phone manufacturers decide on a universal connector....

Micro usb.......

porlob

quality posts: 4 Private Messages porlob

I loved mine for a few days, and then just stopped using it.

It's really a great product: fully programmable even for remotes not in the database. And the ability to make your own layouts with buttons for multiple devices is awesome.

But the fact of the matter is that remotes are tactile things. You don't realize how much you'll miss physical buttons until you don't have them.

pupyluvr

quality posts: 51 Private Messages pupyluvr
As soon as all the phone manufacturers decide on a universal connector....

ChicagoJack wrote:The Cubs might win the World Series before that happens

Or the Super Bowl for that matter.

mschauber

quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber

Ummm, hello, USB! Only apple insists on screwing their cult members, all other manufacturers have had a universal connector since day 1.

Woots new motto: "Fanboys welcome, all others........"

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

Meadlegoth

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Meadlegoth

Can this emulate a PS3 remote (not the controller)?

joshthegeek

quality posts: 8 Private Messages joshthegeek

All of them have. All, that is, except Apple.

joshthegeek

quality posts: 8 Private Messages joshthegeek

Ever lost a remote and been frustrated with how hard it is to find it? Now imagine that scenario, but with a remote 1/20th the size. That's what will happen with this little adapter.

mschauber

quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber
porlob wrote:

But the fact of the matter is that remotes are tactile things. You don't realize how much you'll miss physical buttons until you don't have them.

Really? Guess you forget that phones were all tactile devices since there were invented in 1876. But along came jobs who sucked people into his cult and took their memories and sense of reality. So glass is OK for phones but not remotes? Reality check time!

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

rom

If you have a rare TV and which has a rare remote that is at the brink of breaking (and doesn't work on most generic universal remotes) This remote may help you backup that IR signal to the cloud for safe-keeping.

When you need it next time, just restore it to your L5 remote.

curtise

quality posts: 20 Private Messages curtise

This could be an excellent way to make use of my older iPod touch that is currently gathering dust... As a dedicated device, it should be a pretty darned convenient remote control.

However, my biggest concern would be misplacing the transmitter whilst the iPod is charging, as the transmitter and the charger both use the same single dock connector. Is there a way to attach the transmitter to the back of the iPod touch temporarily whenever charging?

-=C=-

Meadlegoth

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Meadlegoth
Meadlegoth wrote:Can this emulate a PS3 remote (not the controller)?

I hate answering my own questions sometimes... no bluetooth or RF for that matter; only IR works.

From FAQ: The L5 Remote will not work with garage door openers, Bluetooth devices like Sony PS3, or RF remotes.

mebekili

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mebekili

They should just rename woot "apple outpost" -- tired of the iPhone centric stuff.... where's the cool stuff for android/micro-USB users?

rom

curtise wrote:Is there a way to attach the transmitter to the back of the iPod touch temporarily whenever charging?

-=C=-

velcro might do the trick

lstaff

quality posts: 202 Private Messages lstaff

This is a total tease because my remote broke.

Luckily, I bought some extra TVs on a Woot!off, so i'm just going to swap out one in the office where i don't use a remote. I am android based. (And, my remoting has to go by feel as i use my tv in the dark . . .0

arothman

quality posts: 3 Private Messages arothman

Hmm. The remote for my Yamaha stereo is a little dodgy... turns it off but not on and sometimes the volume is fidgety. $25 to get this thing and use my old iPhone 3 as the replacement seems better than $40 to get a real remote from Yamaha.

arothman

quality posts: 3 Private Messages arothman

Some of us already have the device this is compatible with though. Until the iPhone 3 or 4 finally dies, $25 gets me a great remote! Of course, it takes me longer to load the app than it would to just turn the stereo on manually, but if I had cable this would be great!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 604 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Mod reminder: Feel free to chime in about the product but please do so without name calling.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

xxtermin8rxxx

quality posts: 3 Private Messages xxtermin8rxxx
mschauber wrote:Ummm, hello, USB! Only apple insists on screwing their cult members, all other manufacturers have had a universal connector since day 1.

Not all "other" (gonna read that as "Android, primarily") manufacturers used a universal connector until 2, 3 years ago. A couple had their own proprietary connectors before they all went microUSB. Wonderful decision!

hippie19

quality posts: 23 Private Messages hippie19

I take mine traveling, so many hotels don't have "working" remotes for the TV/Cablebox. Use it a home very rarely, but I don't actually use any remotes at home.

Roostalee

quality posts: 26 Private Messages Roostalee
mschauber wrote:Really? Guess you forget that phones were all tactile devices since there were invented in 1876. But along came jobs who sucked people into his cult and took their memories and sense of reality. So glass is OK for phones but not remotes? Reality check time!

The reality is they ARE tactile. That's why the buttons are given unique shapes, so you get used to using them without having to look down at the remote. You can just keep looking at the TV. You can't do that using a touchscreen device, so it becomes distracting. But using the touchscreen for the phone is less bothersome because your focus is on the device itself, and you're usually doing something like texting.

Potrzebie!

Roostalee

quality posts: 26 Private Messages Roostalee

Get ready for a deluge of products that won't work with the iPhone 5 without a costly (or at least clunky) adaptor. Kinda reminds me of all the Nokia 5100 faceplates that I saw when that phone became obsolete. That said, almost all Apple users are, at this point, still using 30-pin devices.

It sounds like a cool device, but I like to throw my TV remote control, so this is a no-go for me.

Potrzebie!

mybestuser1

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mybestuser1

I am tempted. Universal remotes are so addicting and when you combine it with apple products. Please help me, is there a universal remotes anonymous.Baaaaacon.

Nothing is free but if you are lucky it can be inexpensive.

iguana71

quality posts: 4 Private Messages iguana71
Roostalee wrote:The reality is they ARE tactile. That's why the buttons are given unique shapes, so you get used to using them without having to look down at the remote. You can just keep looking at the TV. You can't do that using a touchscreen device, so it becomes distracting. But using the touchscreen for the phone is less bothersome because your focus is on the device itself, and you're usually doing something like texting.

Ouch! That's gonna leave a mark. ROTFLMAO :thumbsup:

anonimis06

quality posts: 1 Private Messages anonimis06

Got this a while ago on Woot. Although I don't use it too often for TV/home theater use, I do keep it in my camera bag. I can use it as an IR trigger for my Canon DSLR. Not as cheap as other cheap IR remotes but just throwing it out there that it can be used for that purpose.

mybestuser1

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mybestuser1

I have more than 14 universalremotes and 4 of them are learning from other remotes. 1 is learning and customizeable lcd buttons. Too bad some of the oldest remotes dont work with todays technology.

Nothing is free but if you are lucky it can be inexpensive.

cengland0

quality posts: 11 Private Messages cengland0
porlob wrote:I loved mine for a few days, and then just stopped using it.

It's really a great product: fully programmable even for remotes not in the database. And the ability to make your own layouts with buttons for multiple devices is awesome.

I have one and that's a major reason I don't use it either. It's also inconvenient to unplug when you want to charge the iPhone and then plug it back in. It would be nice if they could have included it in a case and have that case include it's own charging port.

Another annoyance is that the device plugs into the bottom of the phone so you have to use the phone upside down. When you launch the L5 software, it does turn the remote buttons upside down so you can use it with the appropriate orientation but it takes a couple seconds before it does that.

But all in all, using your phone as a remote isn't that convenient. If you have a spare iPhone lying around and want to use it solely for the remote, that could work for you but then again the battery doesn't last long so you're constantly having to remove the infrared transmitter so the iPhone can be charged.

SurplusHP

quality posts: 7 Private Messages SurplusHP

This is a stupid idea that might sell.

A better idea that definitely WOULD sell: a remote that sits on your table and connects via bluetooth to your Apple or Android device, and the Apple or Android device runs your remote control app.

xninjagrrl

quality posts: 7 Private Messages xninjagrrl
Meadlegoth wrote:Can this emulate a PS3 remote (not the controller)?

Since ps3 is bluetooth, you would need an adapter to get it to work with a normal remote. I found one on clearance for 3 bucks at radio shack last year. That being said, you can program the L5 to operate some ps3 functions, but it's limited and no substitute for a remote. Im not quite sure if you are asking if you can play a game using the L5, I would say no.

I agree with others who have purchased this. It is neat at first, but not practical and it rarely gets used.

Pros: The pills were there.
Cons: So was the tank.

zolttt

quality posts: 12 Private Messages zolttt
madbomber48 wrote:Micro usb.......

Micro usb does not handle all the things the apple connection does, no video, no changing songs, no remote control. If micro usb did more than charge n transfer files it would be wonderful

I ruined my signature with poor cut and paste skills

zolttt

quality posts: 12 Private Messages zolttt
mschauber wrote:Ummm, hello, USB! Only apple insists on screwing their cult members, all other manufacturers have had a universal connector since day 1.

I am not even an apple person, but how is it apples fault that there is no way to have a device plug into a micro usb and turn an android phone into a remote? Micro usb is great because i can charge my phone with any cable... But besides that it doesnt do anything else.

I ruined my signature with poor cut and paste skills

ksmingler

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ksmingler

The real question is! I have a Sony Internet Tv. To type in names of youtubes clips…facebook comments. Movie titles etc I have to do the whole 1=Abc press 1 three times for c. Would this thing give me a qwerty keyboard???