mtnhrdgr2

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mtnhrdgr2

I have this remote. I really like this remote and the ability to create your own 'master' remote.

I have 'designed' the master remote to include the most used buttons my TV, the comcast DVR, my DVD player, and my home theater receiver. It works great!

With that said, I do not use this as my primary remote. I only pull this thing out when we misplace one of the other remotes. This works for me because this is how I intended to use it.

Someone mentioned that it would be a pain to find this tiny little thing. True, but with the way I intended to use it, I just keep this L5 on the mantle right next to the TV when not in use. Whenever I have a need to use it (because I cannot find one of the other remotes) then I go grab this.

ksmingler

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ksmingler

Louis C.K. Well, yeah, 'cause now we live in, in an amazing, amazing world and it's wasted on the, on the crappiest generation of just spoiled pirates that don't care because, this is what people are like now. They got their phone and they're like eeaagh, it won't, give it a second! Give it, it's going to space, would ya give it a second to get back from space, it's the speed of light, it's true, it's true. (yeah) I was on a, I was on an airplane and there was internet, high speed internet on the airplane (yes) that's the newest thing that I know exists. And I'm sitting on the plane and they go open up your laptop and you can go on the internet and it's fast and I'm watching YouTube clips it's amazing. I'm in an airplane and then it breaks down and they apologize the internet is not working and the guy next to me goes pua this is bull****. Like how quickly the world owes him something (yes) he knew existed only 10 seconds ago (right, right) and on planes ....

cengland0

quality posts: 11 Private Messages cengland0
rettm wrote:Can this control a garage door &/or ceiling fan?

Probably not your garage door because that's on a rolling RF code.

Regarding ceiling fans, the newest ones are usually RF but my brother does have a fancy one on IR that this would work on.

In short, if it receives infrared signals (line of sight) then it will probably work. If your remote can go through walls when controlling devices, it will not work with those.

cengland0

quality posts: 11 Private Messages cengland0
Brianpeso wrote:For those who already own this product......

Can I take this to my favorite sports bar and take control of the TVs there?

This just might be a worthy purchase.

Yes. You may need to search for the brand TV or DirectTV or Dish Network box that they are using and download those. Or, you can learn the information from the original remote.

crswerd

quality posts: 1 Private Messages crswerd

Did you have to use the software for this application? Great idea by the way.

anonimis06 wrote:Got this a while ago on Woot. Although I don't use it too often for TV/home theater use, I do keep it in my camera bag. I can use it as an IR trigger for my Canon DSLR. Not as cheap as other cheap IR remotes but just throwing it out there that it can be used for that purpose.

kerton

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kerton
ThunderThighs wrote:As soon as all the phone manufacturers decide on a universal connector....

You mean something like standardizing on micro USB, like they did in 2009?

http://www.engadget.com/2009/02/17/gsm-association-sets-2012-target-date-for-universal-cellphone-ch/

kerton

robertemoghene wrote:oops, did i see 30 pins. do we get the L5 for iphone5 for free.
Talk about dumping a soon to be useless product

I dunno. You could buy or allocate an old ipod Touch or iPhone just to this task. It would always be ready, with the iR blaster plugged in, and could easily be cheaper than the price of Harmony remotes.

kerton

Jackseric wrote:I could be mistaken, but I believe the only reason it doesn't do that, is because nobody has made it. They have cables now that send your video from micro-USB to HDMI. I think that we'll start seeing more and more micro-USB accessories as time goes on.

What you are talking about is the MHL technology, which is in hundreds of models of smartphones. It also charges the phone while it plays video to the TV. The latest version lets the TV remote control the phone's video playback.

kerton

awesomenesser wrote:I remember back in the day when this feature came stock... in my pda.

Palm or iPaq? Either way, you should also remember that those devices had iR ports that only had about a 4-5 foot range. Such that, remote control apps did come out, but then people had to buy a similar iR blaster to actually get living room range.

TFMcKenna

quality posts: 1 Private Messages TFMcKenna

I have one of these. I recently visited my daughter and she had a TV in her guest room with no remote. Within a few minutes, I configured my old iPod Touch to work with her TV. Saved me some walking!

I know of someone who brought this device to his local sports bar after the bartender refused to change the channel from some obscure event. When he's there, he's now the undercover master of the sports bar TV.

Solkre

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Solkre
Meadlegoth wrote:Can this emulate a PS3 remote (not the controller)?

The Bluray remote for the PS3 is Bluetooth, so no.

rettm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rettm
parrotice wrote:But this is an excelent question! Let me start by saying that I know nothing about frequencies or remote technology. If this is a dumb question, please just move along, move along, nothing to see here... I have a ceiling fan that the FAN part is controlled 100% by remote (no pull chain). I lost the remote. So, I can turn the light on, but no fan. Can this thing work on my ceiling fan?

Thanks...is it "Quality Post" excellent or just plain excellent?

rski1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rski1
SurplusHP wrote:This is a stupid idea that might sell.

A better idea that definitely WOULD sell: a remote that sits on your table and connects via bluetooth to your Apple or Android device, and the Apple or Android device runs your remote control app.

Better than Bluetooth - Wifi. The RedEye does this: http://www.isk.kth.se/~rbbo/ussdvul.html

I don't own one, but the idea is great because you can control a device from anywhere within range of your WiFi access point, not limited to Bluetooth range.

SumDuud

quality posts: 21 Private Messages SumDuud
neveraging wrote:does it Roku?

There's an app for that. It runs on your WiFi and controls it from anywhere. I love it! I can start a new episode of something for the kids if their show ends and I don't have to be near the thing, just on my network.

Let's see the quality impulse buys!
Wooter to blame for sellout: SumDuud
Sellout time: 8:11:25 AM Central Time

Contrarian by nature.

kvrbm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kvrbm

Anyone know if this thing would work in replacing my Car Alarm remote?

Jomosan

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Jomosan
porlob wrote:But the fact of the matter is that remotes are tactile things. You don't realize how much you'll miss physical buttons until you don't have them.

This is the major flaw for sure. Not having to look at the remote is key. Unfortunately, this remote will never have tactile feedback like you need.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 565 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Jomosan wrote:This is the major flaw for sure. Not having to look at the remote is key. Unfortunately, this remote will never have tactile feedback like you need.

Even with raised button, I hit the wrong button most of the time. I go from watching the DVR to live TV and it takes me forever to get back to where I was.

//hopeless

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

oppositemind

quality posts: 1 Private Messages oppositemind
pupyluvr wrote:Or the Super Bowl for that matter.

depends on who the referees are...

oppositemind

quality posts: 1 Private Messages oppositemind
kvrbm wrote:Anyone know if this thing would work in replacing my Car Alarm remote?

Your car alarm is likely an analog signal, so no

porlob

quality posts: 4 Private Messages porlob
mschauber wrote:Really? Guess you forget that phones were all tactile devices since there were invented in 1876. But along came jobs who sucked people into his cult and took their memories and sense of reality. So glass is OK for phones but not remotes? Reality check time!

You tend to use your remote without looking at it, and your fingers depend on the position of the buttons to know what you're pressing. Conversely, you're typically looking directly at a phone.

But thanks for the condescension!

jsnarey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jsnarey
curtise wrote:This could be an excellent way to make use of my older iPod touch that is currently gathering dust... As a dedicated device, it should be a pretty darned convenient remote control.

However, my biggest concern would be misplacing the transmitter whilst the iPod is charging, as the transmitter and the charger both use the same single dock connector. Is there a way to attach the transmitter to the back of the iPod touch temporarily whenever charging?

-=C=-

Good point, this is where a little Velcro could come in handy.

James S.

buildintechie

quality posts: 2 Private Messages buildintechie

Hmm... could it work on an iPhone 5 using the old style to new style converter?

marceepauff

quality posts: 14 Private Messages marceepauff

I had one. It worked. Until I lost it.

I recommend the Griffin Beacon instead. Controls everything, you don't need an attachment and you'll never lose it.

samcar455

quality posts: 1 Private Messages samcar455

I'm still on the fence about this (have to see if my gf is cool with buying something that is unnecessary at the end of the day), but one of the things that frustrates me about buttons is that they can break.

I bought a universal remote (not a harmony) from woot a while back, and while it does everything it says it would the UP button no longer works and it renders the thing useless.

And this could be a generational thing, but I've gotten so used to texting on my iPhone that as long as it makes a noise or it has only a few milliseconds of lagtime, then I really don't need the "tactile touch". My thumb and forefinger work just fine without having a button press down beneath me and from what the description says I could make a custom screen that keeps all the buttons far apart from each other to reduce risk of pressing the wrong “button” Basically, this whole tactile thing doesn’t seem like a sticking point for me. Just adding my two cents.

lolamarya

quality posts: 3 Private Messages lolamarya
ksmingler wrote:The real question is! I have a Sony Internet Tv. To type in names of youtubes clips…facebook comments. Movie titles etc I have to do the whole 1=Abc press 1 three times for c. Would this thing give me a qwerty keyboard???

I have a Sony Streaming Media Player and there is an Apple and Android app that you can use to control that, so it may work for your Sony Internet TV. I still need the remote to turn the thing on, but once it's on, my phone or ipad can be used in place of it and with a full QWERTY keyboard.

bjake7

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bjake7
ChicagoJack wrote:The Cubs might win the World Series before that happens

Funny

porange3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages porange3

I JUST ORDERED IT. GOOD PRICE. AMAZOM PRICE IS OVER #50.

awesomenesser

quality posts: 1 Private Messages awesomenesser
cengland0 wrote:That's because your PDA probably didn't have Wifi and Bluetooth capabilities so that was the only way to wirelessly transfer data from one PDA to another PDA.

I had a Sony TJ-37 and it did have wifi (probably the "best" browser ever), a camera (a mindblowing 640x480 resolution), and mp3 capability. Yea it was pretty baller... But yea no bluetooth, I don't even think bluetooth existed back then.

lildetroitmama

quality posts: 9 Private Messages lildetroitmama
curtise wrote:This could be an excellent way to make use of my older iPod touch that is currently gathering dust... As a dedicated device, it should be a pretty darned convenient remote control.

However, my biggest concern would be misplacing the transmitter whilst the iPod is charging, as the transmitter and the charger both use the same single dock connector. Is there a way to attach the transmitter to the back of the iPod touch temporarily whenever charging?

-=C=-

velcro

lildetroitmama

quality posts: 9 Private Messages lildetroitmama
MrUnderdog wrote:In my top 5 - 10 must have items. I've ordered a few of these for friends and such. I'm ordering an extra for myself today, just in case I lose it. I try to always have this sucker with me. Anytime I'm at a restaurant, they have a TV on, and the volume is off (or music is on), and I want to see what the discussion is, I can slip this on, download the TV or various "box" remote (if I haven't already) and Close Caption it. I've never understood why bar areas don't do that anyway to encourage conversation. Recently, we asked for a channel to be changed to a game, since it was on fishing (and it was clear no one was watching that). They said "no problem". Several minutes later, it was clear they had forgotten. Not a big deal. Download the Dish remote (I had DirecTV already, but not Dish) and channel changed. Sports bar accidentally has two TVs next to each other with the same game on... fixed. Can't find my remote... fixed. Stupid hotel remote doesn't work... fixed.

You update it initially, then it's good to go. If you can't find a remote, I've figured out that instead of going to that particular item (TV, Radio, etc), just don't pick an item, do a general search for the brand name, and you'll find what you're looking for.

Again, this thing is an awesome must have (for me at least).

hotel remotes gross me out.. you just sold me on this!

athertonwj24

quality posts: 0 Private Messages athertonwj24
ChicagoJack wrote:Got one of these for an android ??

Any answer to this android inquiry? If no, are there plans for one, and if so, when?

Bill

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 565 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

athertonwj24 wrote:Any answer to this android inquiry? If no, are there plans for one, and if so, when?

Bill

L5 Technology would be the ones to answer that question.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

whacker

quality posts: 0 Private Messages whacker
ThunderThighs wrote:As soon as all the phone manufacturers decide on a universal connector....

How about using micro-usb slot thats pretty universal ??

TwentyCarlo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TwentyCarlo

I got mine in the mail today at lunch; played around with it a little bit at work (it works on the office TV), and I really liked it. I took it off my phone and put it in my coat pocket, then I apparently lost it when I stopped for gas on the way home. So. Very. Angry. With. Myself. If someone who's unhappy with theirs wants to sell it, I'm your buyer!

IBcrashen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages IBcrashen

Got mine today & lovin it. Wish I would of gotten another. Hope it's on again so I can pick up one or two more.

cpwerner

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cpwerner

I would like to try the one I ordered TWO weeks ago but it still has not showed up. I called USPS and they have shipping information on it but it was never actually delivered to their shipping department. First woot = fail.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
cpwerner wrote:I would like to try the one I ordered TWO weeks ago but it still has not showed up. I called USPS and they have shipping information on it but it was never actually delivered to their shipping department. First woot = fail.

Please feel free to contact service@woot.com and see how they can help.

I'm just hanging out, really.

thetopk9

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thetopk9

Piece of crap, tried it on 2 different iPhones...doesn't set well if you have on a case.

Took off the case and still didn't work.

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 158 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

thetopk9 wrote:Piece of crap, tried it on 2 different iPhones...doesn't set well if you have on a case.

Took off the case and still didn't work.

We're sorry to hear that the unit your received was defective. Please feel free to email us at service@woot.com and we'll be glad to answer any questions or concerns you may have regarding your order.

Sincerely,
Woot Staff

salokin12

quality posts: 0 Private Messages salokin12

I ordered two of these when they went on sale, and have still not received them. Shipping info is a dead end as a previous poster stated. Efforts to contact support have generated nothing but initial robot " Inquiry received " response. Not a happy camper.