Staff

Poll: When I want to lose weight, I:
  • 60.2% - Eat healthy and exercise 1077
  • 2.5% - Google the latest fad diet 44
  • 10.3% - Swear off food until I get dizzy 185
  • 22.3% - Those words have never crossed my lips 398
  • 4.7% - Other 84
1788 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

CharlesP2009

quality posts: 25 Private Messages CharlesP2009

I can't wait until we have transporter technology so I can eat all the junk food I want and just beam myself back as a thinner version of myself when I get fat.

curtisuxor

quality posts: 56 Private Messages curtisuxor

It rhymes with masticate.

ardubu

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ardubu

Empty my pockets, remove backpack, and take off my clothes.
Then I get a beer.

If you want, you pay...
But, if you need, you pay more!

paradise

quality posts: 0 Private Messages paradise

Paleo all the way. For the first time in my life I am losing weight while maintaining a healthy diet and not feeling hungry. I never believed the talk about "lifestyle change" but I have done it. I expect to keep this diet for the rest of my life.

I don't discount exercise for keeping healthy but I have never lost a pound due to exercise.

hack99angel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hack99angel
CharlesP2009 wrote:I can't wait until we have transporter technology so I can eat all the junk food I want and just beam myself back as a thinner version of myself when I get fat.

That would be superb. ha ha

nickexperience

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nickexperience

Eat lots of protein and cut out the carbs. It's pretty simple really. Most people don't get nearly enough protein. I changed up the way I was eating with this in mind and lost about 10 lbs. within a month or two. I wasn't particularly overweight to begin with. I also didn't exercise a lick. The only way to see significant and healthy weight-loss is through diet changes. Exercise should be done because you want to be healthy, not just skinny.

boomn4x4

quality posts: 12 Private Messages boomn4x4

Find someone fatter than me and tell my self, "When I get that fat, I'll start dieting."

When what to my wondering eyes should appear, but a bucket of wings and a six pack of beer!

opaulw

quality posts: 1 Private Messages opaulw
boomn4x4 wrote:Find someone fatter than me and tell my self, "When I get that fat, I'll start dieting."

I tried that many times, hate to tell you this but it doesn't work. ;(

Woot count = 70+

flyfshr45

quality posts: 0 Private Messages flyfshr45
nickexperience wrote:Eat lots of protein and cut out the carbs. It's pretty simple really. Most people don't get nearly enough protein. I changed up the way I was eating with this in mind and lost about 10 lbs. within a month or two. I wasn't particularly overweight to begin with. I also didn't exercise a lick. The only way to see significant and healthy weight-loss is through diet changes. Exercise should be done because you want to be healthy, not just skinny.

I've lost 65 lbs since May 30th. Don't discount exercise if it's the right kind of exercise. But yeah, you gotta eat right as well.

calmdog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages calmdog
CharlesP2009 wrote:I can't wait until we have transporter technology so I can eat all the junk food I want and just beam myself back as a thinner version of myself when I get fat.

I don't think it works that way. Have you seen Shatner lately?

jaferson

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jaferson

I have always been a healthy weight, but I do sometimes have a hard time gaining more...

Bounty of Candy
Speed to First Woot:0m 23.115s
First Sucker:jaferson

buttfungus12

quality posts: 0 Private Messages buttfungus12

I tell myself I'm going to be healthier, then I decide to start tomorrow. The next day, I decide to do it tomorrow, and so on.
:-)

PVHurdle06

quality posts: 0 Private Messages PVHurdle06
nickexperience wrote:Eat lots of protein and cut out the carbs. It's pretty simple really. Most people don't get nearly enough protein.

Actually, the typical American diet is too high in protein. If you're not a body builder or lifting serious weights to build muscle, then eating a high protein diet can be very hard on your liver and kidneys because your body isn't using the extra protein. Your body needs carbs for energy, but if you're not exercising then that extra energy gets stored as fat.

The key to weight loss is the simple math of burning more energy than you consume. Healthy diet and exercise

hippie1981

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hippie1981

I start researching diet pills. I don't have the willpower to exercise and I can't cut any calories out of my diet as I only consume around 1,000/day right now. But yet I still somehow gained 20lbs this summer.

bennnnard

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bennnnard

Exercise make me unbearably hungry. I trained for and ran a marathon a few years ago. Over those six months i put on weight. Fatty weight.

When I want to lose weight I exercise less and eat less. I can deal with starvation hunger but not exercise hunger.

Two years ago I cut my bike riding in half, cut my calorie intake by more than a half, and lost 40 lbs over five months.

squatchy

quality posts: 5 Private Messages squatchy
PVHurdle06 wrote:Actually, the typical American diet is too high in protein. If you're not a body builder or lifting serious weights to build muscle, then eating a high protein diet can be very hard on your liver and kidneys because your body isn't using the extra protein. Your body needs carbs for energy, but if you're not exercising then that extra energy gets stored as fat.

The key to weight loss is the simple math of burning more energy than you consume. Healthy diet and exercise

That's actually a misconception. High protein diets have been shown time and time again in studies to be safe and effective for people. They aren't harmful to organs and kidneys (even in diabetics who are a higher risk of kidney issues), unless you already have pre-existing kidney disease. Protein is very satiating, and has a higher thermic effect than other macronutrients too.

Weight loss is way more than just calories in vs calories burned. You can't discount hormones.

Oh, and +1 on the paleo stuff

trixierix

quality posts: 1 Private Messages trixierix
nickexperience wrote:The only way to see significant and healthy weight-loss is through diet changes. Exercise should be done because you want to be healthy, not just skinny.

Totally disagree with this. I eat whatever i want but I have a very athletic body. (Six pack and defined arms). Although I'm still in my 20's so the ease of this may change over time or when I pop out some kid. I go to the gym about 3 times a week. I refuse to diet. You should only diet if your doc says you're unhealthy.

polkastria

quality posts: 6 Private Messages polkastria

When I want to lose weight I:

Fail.

Absolutely every time I TRY to lose weight I stress myself into a total melt down and gain more weight.

Sadly, we have a family wedding coming up and I do want to lose weight again... so I'm back on the stress train. I have horrible arthritis in my hips and knees so exercise is a limited thing so that leaves diet and, well, I don't do very well in that area.

I'm trying again and I am trying to avoid the stress this time and I got rid of the scale since it just made it worse. But if someone could just invent a cheesecake that was a fat burner and not a fat adder.. I would be eternally grateful.

ausphiwvwc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ausphiwvwc
hippie1981 wrote:I start researching diet pills. I don't have the willpower to exercise and I can't cut any calories out of my diet as I only consume around 1,000/day right now. But yet I still somehow gained 20lbs this summer.

If you truly are only eating 1000 calories a day (Drinks included) then you are not eating enough food, and should have almost no energy to move around all day. Your body is in starvation mode, and is producing fat and eating away at your muscles.

Evo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Evo

I stop drinking beer.

RWoodward

quality posts: 58 Private Messages RWoodward

When I feel like losing weight I lie down until that feeling goes away. Xanax helps too.