WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Say Cheese! SAY IT!!

Are you one of those people who uses the SAME SMILE in every picture? You know what we're talking about -- the smile with a little too much teeth, and that odd tilt of your head. Get a new, better smile and try it out with these cameras.

Quality Posts

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

Oh, a keychain camera. I wonder how many people end up taking pictures of doors with that...

Feel free to share your pics using any of these cameras, below!

I'm just hanging out, really.

wisenekt

quality posts: 29 Private Messages wisenekt
inkycatz wrote:Oh, a keychain camera. I wonder how many people end up taking pictures of doors with that...

Less than one megapixel? I guess it would be cute for a small kid but even the worst camera phone picture was better than 1 megapixel.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
wisenekt wrote:Less than one megapixel? I guess it would be cute for a small kid but even the worst camera phone picture was better than 1 megapixel.

Yeah that was my first thought - kid stocking stuffer camera.

I'm just hanging out, really.

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 95 Private Messages radi0j0hn
inkycatz wrote:Yeah that was my first thought - kid stocking stuffer camera.

These "novelty" cameras are sold under a variety of names for less than $10 are are uniformly junk using old technology such as TWAIN drivers and memory that blanks out when the batteries go dead or are removed.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 95 Private Messages radi0j0hn

Attn: indoor "gym" photographers wanting great action shots of your kid that are not "blurry." NONE of these cameras will fill the bill. Spend more money (a LOT more) or wait five years. Can't do either? Then sit back and enjoy the game. The magic fairy dust camera you need isn't here yet.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

jakew8

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jakew8

robinlucyskye

quality posts: 2 Private Messages robinlucyskye

Perfect timing for me to pick up a couple of the waterproof Samsungs for two 8-year old girls to take snorkeling in Kauai! I have a W300 that works well for a point-n-shoot so hoping these work as well. Now I don't have to have nightmares about more expensive cameras taking a trip to the bottom of the Pacific .... can't go wrong for $40 each.

bobasfeet

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bobasfeet

Been waiting on the Z990. I have heard good things.

wolper

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wolper

Anybody know if the Samsung HMX-W200RN-C creates video that is easy to read into iMovie?

draigun

quality posts: 22 Private Messages draigun
inkycatz wrote:Oh, a keychain camera. I wonder how many people end up taking pictures of doors with that...

I know I did. Luckily, a dog got in the way.

skrutinizr

quality posts: 8 Private Messages skrutinizr

That Panasonic/Lumix camera is phenominal for the price. The Leica optics are great- it's the best camera out of the bunch and only $100...

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

There are no pictures of me.
I'm the one who takes the pictures.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska
robinlucyskye wrote:Perfect timing for me to pick up a couple of the waterproof Samsungs for two 8-year old girls to take snorkeling in Kauai! I have a W300 that works well for a point-n-shoot so hoping these work as well. Now I don't have to have nightmares about more expensive cameras taking a trip to the bottom of the Pacific .... can't go wrong for $40 each.

Is it worth the price for the refurb? Can someone price-check this for me?

turtletea

quality posts: 2 Private Messages turtletea

I have the Kodak Z990 camera and it takes very nice photos. I highly recommend this camera if you can pick it up for a good price... and I'd say $120 is a good price. It's a little slow from shot to shot, but not too bad. The lens is sharp and the colors are great. Here are some sample photos I took with the Kodak Z990:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1011&message=42519914

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1011&message=42466182

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1011&message=42397195

speedoo

quality posts: 41 Private Messages speedoo
bobasfeet wrote:Been waiting on the Z990. I have heard good things.

Great camera, great price, so I would not wait any longer.

justafreak

quality posts: 11 Private Messages justafreak

The Lumix camera are great quick point and shoot devices. I own two of them. Worth the money for sure.

.rev - 325.unique.woots / 567.total.items - woot is where the crap is.

dave5star

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dave5star

I got the z990 at the last woot off & it's a terrific camera & at $120 it's a steal. Get some extra batteries though-it eats them

Moueska

ThunderThighs and/or Inkycatz, I just found a painful batch of poor reviews through amazon.

The 1-3 Star reviews consistently say that water snuck in, and it died. Lots of them are citing "incorrect 'waterproof' description".

Man, even the 4 star reviews have me a little nervous after reading through those.

ral878

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ral878

dammit! I bought the easyshare 16mp like three days ago on sellout and now its offered again cheaper! also I was waiting for the z990 to appear again but got impatient. now its too late to cancel my other order and get the one I really

also I want to attach the keychain camera to my cat and see where she goes during the day

drbenj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages drbenj

Bought this a few months ago. My best woot ever. Love this camera. A bit slow processing, but great pictures. Zoom is awesome. Great value.

He Who Never Gets a Bag of Chorizo

digger21209

quality posts: 2 Private Messages digger21209

I have a positive history with Kodak's easyshare product line. Most recently with ZD710...

Had been watching out for sales on Z990 and Z1015. Figured a decision would come down to timing and price.

I figured wrong.

Instead, it came down to turtletea's pictures.

Wow.

In for 1!

Moueska

drbenj wrote:Bought this a few months ago. My best woot ever. Love this camera. A bit slow processing, but great pictures. Zoom is awesome. Great value.

Wait... bought what? Which camera?

smilesnxtc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smilesnxtc

I jumped on the Kodak Z990 for my wife so she can take better pics of our daughter instead of using the IMO subpar iphone. Check out this link for an entire album shot with this camera. http://www.pbase.com/tgaf/kodak_easyshare_max_z990&page=all This helped me decide! Plus this 16GB C10 card http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extreme-Class-Memory-SDSDX-016G-X46/dp/B0037FLUYU/ref=lh_ni_t made this a no brainer

flyswatter

quality posts: 3 Private Messages flyswatter

Might as well use that cockatrice money and grab that Kodak Easy Share before it's gone. I'm kind of surprised to see that the Z990 hasn't sold out yet. I seem to recall seeing several posts when the other Kodaks were listed saying folks were waiting for this one to show up.

elquesogrande

quality posts: 2 Private Messages elquesogrande

Got the keychain camera through the last Big ol' Candy shipment. Went through a long process to get the camera's software loaded and updated - then learned just how insanely poor the camera is for taking any pictures. (I'm not finicky either.)

Pass on the keychain camera - save your money on this one.

chevrofreak

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chevrofreak
turtletea wrote:I have the Kodak Z990 camera and it takes very nice photos. I highly recommend this camera if you can pick it up for a good price... and I'd say $120 is a good price. It's a little slow from shot to shot, but not too bad. The lens is sharp and the colors are great. Here are some sample photos I took with the Kodak Z990:

I have the Z990 as well, and I can confirm that it is a decent camera. The 30x optical zoom works well, but is noisy (which is very audible in videos) and the wide angle isn't bad either. The CMOS sensor is really what makes this camera special, as it takes very good low light photos. Even hand held, you will always get a photo that is useable.

ChristinaTX

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ChristinaTX

I bought the Samsung water proof HD camcorder in April from Woot for $50. I figured if the kids broke it or it wasn't as waterproof as it claims I wasn't out too much.

I was very surprised at how great the video quality is underwater. It's pretty easy to use, once you get over the fear of dunking an electronic into water.
My kids were using it to play in the pool this summer.I would post a video for you all to see but it would just make you seasick.

The pictures it takes aren't too shabby. You can't go wrong at this price either.

hondac95

quality posts: 3 Private Messages hondac95
ChristinaTX wrote:I bought the Samsung water proof HD camcorder in April from Woot for $50. I figured if the kids broke it or it wasn't as waterproof as it claims I wasn't out too much.

I was very surprised at how great the video quality is underwater. It's pretty easy to use, once you get over the fear of dunking an electronic into water.
My kids were using it to play in the pool this summer.I would post a video for you all to see but it would just make you seasick.

The pictures it takes aren't too shabby. You can't go wrong at this price either.

Agree with your comments, Samsung never ceases to impress me, I too got this camera about a few weeks ago and just the point that I do not have to worry to put it away when it rains it is a plus. Specially for the price paid.

gusvonpooch

quality posts: 24 Private Messages gusvonpooch
turtletea wrote:I have the Kodak Z990 camera and it takes very nice photos. I highly recommend this camera if you can pick it up for a good price... and I'd say $120 is a good price. It's a little slow from shot to shot, but not too bad. The lens is sharp and the colors are great. Here are some sample photos I took with the Kodak Z990:

Nice,very nice indeed

Goosedude

quality posts: 9 Private Messages Goosedude

Gah...reading all the comments then researching reviews online....I'm in for one of the Z990s.

Looking for a simple upgrade to my point n shoots and this fits the bill for not alot of dough.

Hope all the good reviews i read are proven right!!

-------------
WOOT! WOOOOT!!

draigun

quality posts: 22 Private Messages draigun
Goosedude wrote:Gah...reading all the comments then researching reviews online....I'm in for one of the Z990s.

Looking for a simple upgrade to my point n shoots and this fits the bill for not alot of dough.

Hope all the good reviews i read are proven right!!

I'm going to have to agree. After losing my Cybershot earlier this year and seeing all of the great comments on here, as well as reviews, I bit and ordered one of the Z990s yesterday. Assuming my one day shipping holds up, it should be here in a few hours, just in time for the NC State Fair.

The 16 second manual shutter speed is what convinced me. I believe the Cybershot only had 2 seconds max, so this Z990 will be great for some minor light/night photography fun. *EDIT: I just realized this is probably a great time to buy some of the LED Glowsticks.

*EDIT: It's a winner. Here's a quick point and shoot from the fair:

*EDIT2: Just realized that this was a perfect time to receive a camera which takes AA batteries (which I prefer) now that I have around 48 Kodak Max batteries from my last Big ol' Candy

chaseg327

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chaseg327

Just got my Z990 yesterday afternoon. Had a little bit of time to play with it and so far, I agree with the positive reviews...this seems like it will be a big upgrade from my old point and shoot (I espcially love that zoom!!!).

One minor gripe tho: did anyone else notice how shabby the packing job was (on Kodak's part, not Woot's)...mine had been packed in a generic brown Kodak refurb box with those air-filled pillow packs, but the pillow packs popped, so the camera was just rolling around in there. Luckily there didn't seem to be any damage to the camera.

Anyway, I love the camera so far and can't wait to get outdoors this weekend and test it more extensively!

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

draigun wrote:I'm going to have to agree. After losing my Cybershot earlier this year and seeing all of the great comments on here, as well as reviews, I bit and ordered one of the Z990s yesterday. Assuming my one day shipping holds up, it should be here in a few hours, just in time for the NC State Fair.

The 16 second manual shutter speed is what convinced me. I believe the Cybershot only had 2 seconds max, so this Z990 will be great for some minor light/night photography fun. *EDIT: I just realized this is probably a great time to buy some of the LED Glowsticks.

*EDIT: It's a winner. Here's a quick point and shoot from the fair:

*EDIT2: Just realized that this was a perfect time to receive a camera which takes AA batteries (which I prefer) now that I have around 48 Kodak Max batteries from my last Big ol' Candy

i must object! it doesn't LOOK like you're saying "cheese!"

unless you're saying it with your MIND.

chaseg327 wrote:Just got my Z990 yesterday afternoon. Had a little bit of time to play with it and so far, I agree with the positive reviews...this seems like it will be a big upgrade from my old point and shoot (I espcially love that zoom!!!).

One minor gripe tho: did anyone else notice how shabby the packing job was (on Kodak's part, not Woot's)...mine had been packed in a generic brown Kodak refurb box with those air-filled pillow packs, but the pillow packs popped, so the camera was just rolling around in there. Luckily there didn't seem to be any damage to the camera.

Anyway, I love the camera so far and can't wait to get outdoors this weekend and test it more extensively!

glad it's a good fit for you thus far! also happy the camera didn't suffer any damage from the packaging. we'll keep an eye out for similar concerns.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.