WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Gunnar Gaming Glasses Galore!

Gone are the days when someone had to get thick-rimmed glasses with bottle-bottom lenses for a little nerd-cred. But hey, if it makes you more comfortable to keep with tradition, feel free to add a little duct tape to the bridge of these stylish Gunnar Gaming Glasses.
Gunnar official site

Quality Posts

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

Gunnar! Gunnar! GO GO GO!

(No really, don't dally. These tend to sell out fast.)

I'm just hanging out, really.

akenmaat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages akenmaat

I heard there was someone here to talk to that could arrange getting these in prescription. Anyone know who that is?

I probably won't have my prescription available enough today before these sell out, but I'd like to get a pair of these in prescription next time.

xlamierina

quality posts: 1 Private Messages xlamierina

i have a wide face that pushes the limits of department store sunglasses, how do i know they'll fit? Any sort of sizing chart or method?

chrisiturrioz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chrisiturrioz

do these actually work ? i dont see how this would improve ones gaming ?

iceraider07

quality posts: 0 Private Messages iceraider07

Any idea about prescription for these? I would really love a pair if I could get them with prescription lenses.

molex

quality posts: 7 Private Messages molex

"Gaming" glasses?

This is the definition of a solution in search of a problem.

philosopherott

quality posts: 2 Private Messages philosopherott

I would like to follow up on a question asked by my fellow wooters @iceraider07 and @akenmaat Is there a way to get these in a prescription? Maybe @inkycatz @jumbowoot or @thunderthighs could help us out?

orphaeus

quality posts: 2 Private Messages orphaeus

I got the MW3 pair last time, and I see they're already sold out this time.

I love them. They take a few times to get used to the yellow tint, and the simple fact that I don't wear glasses, so I'm not used to having something on my face all day, but they work extremely well. I feel much less tired at the end of the night, and I have yet to have a headache after several hours spent in front of a computer screen.

Excellent product. My greatest recommendation is to go to the website and compare the dimensions. I have a large head and the MW3 were a must simply because of their size.

"You win some, you lose some, and some get rained out, but you gotta suit up for them all."
J. Askenberg

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
philosopherott wrote:I would like to follow up on a question asked by my fellow wooters @iceraider07 and @akenmaat Is there a way to get these in a prescription? Maybe @inkycatz @jumbowoot or @thunderthighs could help us out?

This excellent post has a lot of that info. I hope it helps!

I'm just hanging out, really.

javajulie

quality posts: 2 Private Messages javajulie
molex wrote:"Gaming" glasses?

This is the definition of a solution in search of a problem.

It just sounds better/sexier than "computer glasses". They are designed to help cut down on the glare and eyestrain associated with long gaming sessions, or work days in front of the computer.

amilliondallahs

quality posts: 1 Private Messages amilliondallahs
chrisiturrioz wrote:do these actually work ? i dont see how this would improve ones gaming ?

The glasses themselves are not going to improve your gaming. Practice is the only thing that can do that, however, from my own personal experience, these glasses do help with computer eye strain syndrome. I use to come home from work with headaches and tired eyes due to starring at the screen for long hours but now my eyes actually feel relaxed when looking at the screen. It takes a little time to get use to the magnified lenses but once you adjust they dramatically help with your eyes ability to focus on text/small details on the screen without squinting.

flintdragon

quality posts: 1 Private Messages flintdragon

I could really use one of these but I have a difficult time determining which ones will support my RX vision requirements. My worst eye is -4.50. Which of these styles will support it?

I only know MW3 does but that's already sold out. I hope Vanuary is back on this thread to help us out!

stinawargo

quality posts: 8 Private Messages stinawargo
philosopherott wrote:I would like to follow up on a question asked by my fellow wooters @iceraider07 and @akenmaat Is there a way to get these in a prescription? Maybe @inkycatz @jumbowoot or @thunderthighs could help us out?

if you want them in rx, you can 1) purchase them directly from an optometrist who works with Gunnar as listed on their website, or 2) buy them from woot & then have your optometrist contact Gunnar's rx supplier to see about getting your lenses replaced w/ rx lenses.
Personally, I just went with contacts & my woot Gunnar glasses, cause trying to replace the lenses seemed like too much work, especially since our prescriptions change year-by-year.

and I LOVE them, btw. There is a slight magnification that makes small print a little larger on-screen, and my eyes don't hurt as much, nor do I get the headaches anymore. There are a lot of online reviews from independent tech bloggers that say that they're worth it if you have eyestrain & headaches.

neverpleyed

quality posts: 0 Private Messages neverpleyed

I bought the MLG Legends last sale. I get teased a little because the aviator style just doesn't look right on my face but I'll wear these until they break. My eye strain and headaches have been reduced by about 90%. I can spend the time i need to in front of the computer playing games/surfing/etc without needing to pop some headache pills to stand looking at the screen again. I was skeptical they'd work but after getting used to wearing glasses and the yellow tint (which you forget about pretty quick) I'm happy to report they've helped me. The nose pads on the Legends were big enough right out of the box and they work perfect with headphones.

My only complaint is how easily the lenses get dirty/streak/finger prints/attract any sort o dust you can possible think of anywhere you set them down but it's easily corrected with mild window cleaner or glass cleaner. Overall I'm very happy I gave them another shot (my first pair aggravated my face and I couldn't deal with the magnification).

Thought I'd add my review of these since everyone (including myself when I picked these up) always wonders "do they work?".

vanuary

quality posts: 22 Private Messages vanuary
akenmaat wrote:I heard there was someone here to talk to that could arrange getting these in prescription. Anyone know who that is?

I probably won't have my prescription available enough today before these sell out, but I'd like to get a pair of these in prescription next time.

Hi akenmaat. I'm the manufacturer rep. If you need to get a prescription, I would NOT purchase the BitSurfer, Edge, Halogen, Talon, Rayne, or Stylus styles since they are no longer Rx-able. All others you can take into a Rx retailer on our website http://www.gunnars.com/retailers/ or contact rx@gunnars.com about how to get your prescription filled direct with GUNNAR.

soreyes

quality posts: 1 Private Messages soreyes

I had previously been using a very light magnification pair of reading glasses. I was also using F.lux where I could, but I switch to other systems often enough making it hard to always have f.lux in place.

I picked up some Gunnar's (anime) a few weeks ago to replace the readers and f.lux. The reduced eyestrain is hard to overstate.

I just bought a second pair (wi-five) today so that I can leave a pair at the office. Over the past few weeks I have become so dependent on these that I would HATE to forget them at home and spend a workday.

Looking at the screens without the gunnars is like looking directly at the sun!

I am also starting to hope this company does well enough to stick around for a few years. Either that or the same concept spreads out to other companies. They look a little strange, but your relaxed eyes will tell you it's more than worth it.

Razorfoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Razorfoot

Yes! I missed my chance last time to get a pair of these. Now I have a set of the Bit Surfer on their way to my house just in time for all the Fall video game releases.

My eyes are going to be so happy!

sombraala

quality posts: 4 Private Messages sombraala
vanuary wrote:Hi akenmaat. I'm the manufacturer rep. If you need to get a prescription, I would not purchase the BitSurfer, Edge, Halogen, Talon, Rayne, or Stylus styles since they are no longer Rx-able. All others you can take into a Rx retailer on our website http://www.gunnars.com/retailers/ or contact rx@gunnars.com about how to get your prescription filled direct with GUNNAR.

Double checking - Wing is RXable? I don't see them on http://shop.gunnars.com/prescription-eyewear/l/800

/EDIT: Nevermind, seems like the Wing page on their site shows them as being RXable:
http://shop.gunnars.com/wing/d/1085_c_100

spike109u

quality posts: 6 Private Messages spike109u

I bought a pair of the JEM glasses last time.

They're okay, but more of a novelty than anything. Most of the "features" are just marketing buzzwords. Realistically, they're blue blockers that are also weak reading glasses. The frames aren't of the best quality and can be uncomfortable or sharp feeling. I was quite surprised when I compared the glasses to the packaging they came in; I think the packaging cost more! If you have trouble seeing your screen, a good pair of reading glasses might be a better solution. For changing your monitor's color temperature, I recommend Flux, which is free to download. I started using Flux while waiting for my glasses to arrive and found it to be much more effective than the Gunnars.

In short, it's a cool idea, but these glasses are too expensive for what they are. Buzzwords and a fancy box don't make up for lacking functionality.

flintdragon

quality posts: 1 Private Messages flintdragon

I'm looking at the JEM or Wing styles. Will either support at -4.50 RX lens?

Bogie21

quality posts: 11 Private Messages Bogie21

After asking quite a few people about these, I decided to pick up the $30 pair. If I like them enough, I will potentially buy one of the more expensive sets.

itznybble

quality posts: 0 Private Messages itznybble
chrisiturrioz wrote:do these actually work ? i dont see how this would improve ones gaming ?

Not necessarily improves gaming, More that is reduces Eye strain from long sessions. I own a pair and trust me it does help you play longer.

vanuary

xlamierina wrote:i have a wide face that pushes the limits of department store sunglasses, how do i know they'll fit? Any sort of sizing chart or method?

Hi xlamierina. I'm the manufacturer rep. If you have a wide face, I would recommend the Halogen style. It's the widest frame we have in this WOOT assortment at 135mm from hinge to hinge. The Edge comes in a close second at 134mm from hinge to hinge.

vanuary

iceraider07 wrote:Any idea about prescription for these? I would really love a pair if I could get them with prescription lenses.

Hi iceraider07. I'm the manufacturer rep. I just answered a similar question about how to get prescription GUNNARS here:
http://www.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5197524&pageindex=1&replycount=23#post5197731

Just take note of the styles I listed in the previous post above since those are NOT prescription compatible. Once you've purchased a GUNNAR frame that IS prescription compatible you have two options:
1) Visit a GUNNAR Rx retailer on our website http://www.gunnars.com/retailers/ to get an eye exam and have them process your GUNNAR prescription lenses.
2) Contact rx@gunnars.com to get instructions on how to submit your frame with your current written prescription from your doctor.

For more information on the GUNNAR Rx program, please visit http://www.gunnars.com/rx

vanuary

sombraala wrote:Double checking - Wing is RXable? I don't see them on http://shop.gunnars.com/prescription-eyewear/l/800

/EDIT: Nevermind, seems like the Wing page on their site shows them as being RXable:
http://shop.gunnars.com/wing/d/1085_c_100

Hi sombraala. The Wing is definitely Rx-able and will handle a total power between +3.00D to -6.00D.

vanuary

flintdragon wrote:I could really use one of these but I have a difficult time determining which ones will support my RX vision requirements. My worst eye is -4.50. Which of these styles will support it?

I only know MW3 does but that's already sold out. I hope Vanuary is back on this thread to help us out!

Hi flintdragon. If your worst eye is -4.50D then I would recommend the following styles: Anime, Weezer, Wing, and Wi-Five. Wing and Weezer can handle up to a total power of -6.00D. Wi-Five and Anime can handle a total power up to -8.00D so if you choose any one of those you should be fine.

daha52

quality posts: 0 Private Messages daha52

is there a reason why the weezer in onyx is shaded out? was it sold out already?

Sambardo

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Sambardo

Any idea how much it costs to get RX lenses put in a pair bought on woot?

velox03

quality posts: 0 Private Messages velox03

I bought this on the last woot. I wear contacts or have glasses for gaming. I have used them a few times for gaming, but because of the added prescription I feel like it makes my vision too sharp. While gaming some FPS games I would never get nausea. However after using these for the first time I instantly got some nausea. I was kind of shocked at first because I have never had this problem while gaming any FPS.

Because of that I could not wear them while gaming. I will give them another try, but my first few attempts did not go well.

Finally if you get a pair, try and not to get a pair that has a big bridge between the glasses. The pair that I got has a rectangular bridge and it actually gets in the way. I have the Gunnar Optiks Edge Advanced Computer/Gaming Eyewear - Cloud

kle11az

quality posts: 3 Private Messages kle11az

My old eyes usually wear progressive lenses, but I have separate 'computer' glasses (not tinted, just the Rx) I wear for working 10-12 hour days in front of a computer. With 2 monitors.

Weird question, but can I layer the glasses - say wear the Talon or Rayne over my computer glasses? It won't matter how funny looking that would be as I work from home. The only ridicule I'd get would be from my significant other or the dogs.

Any experience with this, other than it's a fashion police no-no?

Thanks!

cappo

quality posts: 26 Private Messages cappo

Except that for some reason mine are hard to clean, I love mine.

But that's also one of the reasons I wear contacts instead of prescription glasses, so maybe that's just me not knowing the secret method of cleaning glasses properly.

DarthTagnan

quality posts: 2 Private Messages DarthTagnan

I would have preferred the prescription, but if I'm going to spend $350.00 for frames (not counting the cost of prescription), I decided to buy frames and see if they help at work. My prescription is pretty weak, anyway.

DarthTagnan

quality posts: 2 Private Messages DarthTagnan
daha52 wrote:is there a reason why the weezer in onyx is shaded out? was it sold out already?

I bought them in Mercury. They're attractive enough.

derke

quality posts: 0 Private Messages derke
vanuary wrote:Hi iceraider07. I'm the manufacturer rep. I just answered a similar question about how to get prescription GUNNARS here:
http://www.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5197524&pageindex=1&replycount=23#post5197731

Just take note of the styles I listed in the previous post above since those are NOT prescription compatible. Once you've purchased a GUNNAR frame that IS prescription compatible you have two options:
1) Visit a GUNNAR Rx retailer on our website http://www.gunnars.com/retailers/ to get an eye exam and have them process your GUNNAR prescription lenses.
2) Contact rx@gunnars.com to get instructions on how to submit your frame with your current written prescription from your doctor.

For more information on the GUNNAR Rx program, please visit http://www.gunnars.com/rx

I'm thinking of getting the Anime style. On Woot it's $80, but how much is the prescription going to cost? The /rx site has it at $350...

zeratul634x

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zeratul634x

No MLG Aviators this time? THE ONE TIME I HAVE MONEY FOR IT?

curse you merciful Poseidonnnnn

TurboChan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TurboChan

Hey Vanuary, what are the dimensions of the Stylus glasses? The Gunnar site no longer lists this pair; is it being discontinued?

Also, the site seems to be lacking a lot of dimensions in general.

lowezone

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lowezone

WOOT!! I have two pairs of these. One of the Winged and a BitSurfer! You are not a nerd/geek until you own one! and they are really great they do help with eye strain! Love em!

Sexy Man

elveez

quality posts: 1 Private Messages elveez

Save some money and just install the f.lux, I've been running it on all my machines including iPhone http://stereopsis.com/flux/

It makes the color of your computer's display adapt to the time of day, warm at night and like sunlight during the day.

---
elveez is alive

alexanderluthor

quality posts: 2 Private Messages alexanderluthor

I bought the MW3 a couple promotions back. nose piece fell off day two and the frame seemed bent because they sat slanted on my head. threw them away. I won't ever order from them again.