macuva

quality posts: 0 Private Messages macuva

How do I find out the frame sizes? Currently, my prescription glasses are 121 frame width, 17 nose width. Thanks.

vanuary

quality posts: 22 Private Messages vanuary
Sambardo wrote:Any idea how much it costs to get RX lenses put in a pair bought on woot?

Hi Sambardo. If you go to a GUNNAR Rx retailer, the prices will vary from doctor to doctor based on their individual mark up. If you have a couple of locations around you, my suggestion would be to call around and shop their prices. Some doctors may be able to look at your eye insurance benefits and use that so you pay little to no out of pocket costs since GUNNAR Rx is VSP approved.
If you choose to go direct with GUNNAR, the cost out of pocket will be $150. You will still need to go and have an eye exam, or a current prescription that is not more than 2 years old. Make sure you have your PD (pupillary distance) measurement since most doctors do not write it on the actual prescription paperwork. For instructions on how to submit your frame for Rx to GUNNAR, please email Rx@gunnars.com.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
alexanderluthor wrote:I bought the MW3 a couple promotions back. nose piece fell off day two and the frame seemed bent because they sat slanted on my head. threw them away. I won't ever order from them again.

Sounds like a defective pair you got. Did you contact the manufacturer for a possible replacement, or even service@woot.com?

I'm just hanging out, really.

vanuary

alexanderluthor wrote:I bought the MW3 a couple promotions back. nose piece fell off day two and the frame seemed bent because they sat slanted on my head. threw them away. I won't ever order from them again.

Hi alexanderluthor. That's a shame. We have a one year warranty on manufacturer defects so we would have gladly replaced your GUNNARS free of charge.

vanuary

daha52 wrote:is there a reason why the weezer in onyx is shaded out? was it sold out already?

Hi daha52. Weezer Onyx is not available this time, but Mercury (silver) is! Did you make your purchase yet?

ArcadicGamer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ArcadicGamer

I bought the Stylus frames last time they were on woot and they have made such a world of difference in my life. I spend 8+ hours a day staring at computer screens and then more when gaming at night and over the weekend. Since getting used to wearing glasses for the first time in my life, and getting used to the slight tint and magnification, i love them. It took me about a week to get used to wearing glasses and about 3-4 days to get used to the other facets. It only took a day or two to stop the 5pm headache everyday after work however.

I currently leave my only pair at work so i don't forget them, but i am highly considering purchasing a 2nd pair to game with at home. I would highly recommend them to anyone who works 8 hours a day in front of a computer screen. Just be sure to get advice from your 4-eyed friends bout properly adjusting them to fit.

vanuary

macuva wrote:How do I find out the frame sizes? Currently, my prescription glasses are 121 frame width, 17 nose width. Thanks.

Hi macuva.
Anime: 129 hinge to hinge (width), 15 bridge (nose width)
BitSurfer: 130, 26
Edge: 134, 16
Halogen: 135, 20
Jem: 131, 15
Stylus: 129, 15
Weezer: 123, 18
Wing: 129, 17
Rayne: 128, 15
Talon: 128, 16

stoneatti

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stoneatti
vanuary wrote:Hi akenmaat. I'm the manufacturer rep. If you need to get a prescription, I would not purchase the BitSurfer, Edge, Halogen, Talon, Rayne, or Stylus styles since they are no longer Rx-able. All others you can take into a Rx retailer on our website http://www.gunnars.com/retailers/ or contact rx@gunnars.com about how to get your prescription filled direct with GUNNAR.

You're saying that those styles listed above are NOT Rx compatible even if it is stated on your website that they are??

http://shop.gunnars.com/stylus/d/1070

I will need to get another pair if you tell me they are not. Thanks.

jw1nt3r

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jw1nt3r

Anyone know the science behind these? Do they block some specific wavelengths that are harder on our eyes/brains?

I've read blue light (from led screens mostly) cause artificial stimulation (I.e. mimics sun's blue wavelengths which tell our bodies to 'wake up'), maybe it blocks that to prevent eye exhaustion, etc?

binary102

quality posts: 0 Private Messages binary102

I've had a pair of WiFives for about a year now and absolutely love them. I started noticing headaches when spending all day staring at computer screens both at work and home, and it was almost an immediate turnaround. The glasses also help on eyestrain not only with computer screens but if you're around florescent lighting a lot.

I also had an issue after about a month or two of owning my WiFives where both of the rubber nose pieces fell off and got lost. I contacted the Customer Service through email to inquire on ordering some replacements and got a very quick response in which they sent me a few replacement pairs that I received within the week free of charge. After replacing the first nose guards though I haven't had an issue.

Referring a few of my friends to this deal, thanks Gunnar!

alexanderluthor

quality posts: 2 Private Messages alexanderluthor
vanuary wrote:Hi alexanderluthor. That's a shame. We have a one year warranty on manufacturer defects so we would have gladly replaced your GUNNARS free of charge.

after three emails with zero response i gave up.

alexanderluthor

quality posts: 2 Private Messages alexanderluthor
inkycatz wrote:Sounds like a defective pair you got. Did you contact the manufacturer for a possible replacement, or even service@woot.com?

i contacted the manufacturer, never got a response. brother actually ordered them for me as a present. was the reason i joined woot based on his recommendation.

mrunner9362

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mrunner9362

Was waiting to see this again! Sadly, the aviator style wasn't available this time.

Still picked up a pair and will have fingers crossed for the next time around.

duranki

quality posts: 0 Private Messages duranki

I'm confused. If I wanted to get a prescription pair of Gunnars, would I need to get my prescription info and order directly from Gunnars? Or could I take advantage of this deal, then submit my prescription info?

Also, it's been forever since I've been to an eye doctor. I just called my usual place, and they've never heard of Gunnars. Would they still be able to order them (just take more work on their part)?

macuva

quality posts: 0 Private Messages macuva
vanuary wrote:Hi macuva.

Thanks so much for the info. Unfortunately the Weezer onyx is sold out. How can I get this info for the glasses on your website? I don't see where it is available. Thanks.

einstien3k

quality posts: 0 Private Messages einstien3k
vanuary wrote:Hi Sambardo. If you go to a GUNNAR Rx retailer, the prices will vary from doctor to doctor based on their individual mark up. If you have a couple of locations around you, my suggestion would be to call around and shop their prices. Some doctors may be able to look at your eye insurance benefits and use that so you pay little to no out of pocket costs since GUNNAR Rx is VSP approved.
If you choose to go direct with GUNNAR, the cost out of pocket will be $150. You will still need to go and have an eye exam, or a current prescription that is not more than 2 years old. Make sure you have your PD (pupillary distance) measurement since most doctors do not write it on the actual prescription paperwork. For instructions on how to submit your frame for Rx to GUNNAR, please email Rx@gunnars.com.

Hi

I have Rx in one eye only. What will be the cost for single eye Rx lens?

bbexperience

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bbexperience

Any thoughts about using these for driving glasses?

heartflux

quality posts: 5 Private Messages heartflux

+1 on relieving eye strain

A couple of years ago, I went to the eye doctor due to horrible ocular migraines. Vision checked out, she said. 20/20--maybe even better, she praised. There was nothing she could do, she apologized. I'd just have to suffer, she said.

So naturally, I took to the Googles. It was there I first read about Gunnar glasses. Cuts down on glare? Hey, I have glare! Makes the harsh office and monitor lights more tolerable with the yellow lens tint? I have nasty office and monitor light! Makes you look stylish and sophisticated? I look effing awesome in glasses (which is a shame with my 20/20 vision)!

Bought my pair of Gunnars almost immediately, though I wasn't sold until I wore them for a day. I don't need them every single day I'm using a computer, but when I feel the twinge of eye strain coming, I slip my "thinking glasses" on. Oh sure, my nickname around the office may be "Bono," but at least the ocular migraines have yet to make another appearance.

Well worth the investment. I paid nearly twice as much for mine on a non-Woot site, so snatch a pair up for this sweet deal while you can.

I woot, therefore I am.

uman44

quality posts: 1 Private Messages uman44
vanuary wrote:Hi macuva.

Are the Halogens the widest frame offered from Gunnar? Even if I have to wait or *gasp* pay full retail, I want to get the widest available for my pumpkin head.

duranki

quality posts: 0 Private Messages duranki

I'd love to throw money at Woot, but I was hoping someone could tell me if the glasses I order here can be customized to fit a prescription. If I have to buy these, then pay to send these to Gunnar for customization, I might as well just order straight from Gunnar.

denzelzhao

quality posts: 0 Private Messages denzelzhao

Whoever buys these should just put in an order for a Power Band bracelet at the same time. These glasses are so hyped by marketing, they have zero substance and zero science.

By the way, if you want a FREE way to reducing eyestrain, I recommend that you download F.lux, an app that reduces the blue on your display, which is probably what these glasses try to do anyway.

vanuary

stoneatti wrote:You're saying that those styles listed above are NOT Rx compatible even if it is stated on your website that they are??

http://shop.gunnars.com/stylus/d/1070

I will need to get another pair if you tell me they are not. Thanks.

Hi stoneatti. Yes. Those styles are not Rx-able. I apologize about the website being misleading. Our shopping cart just got a face lift October 1st and unfortunately that little Rx bit is the default under everything, even some of our accessories like the carrying case and cleaning cloth. We are working diligently to get that fixed so you will see it updated in the next week or so.

vanuary

jw1nt3r wrote:Anyone know the science behind these? Do they block some specific wavelengths that are harder on our eyes/brains?

I've read blue light (from led screens mostly) cause artificial stimulation (I.e. mimics sun's blue wavelengths which tell our bodies to 'wake up'), maybe it blocks that to prevent eye exhaustion, etc?

Hi jw1nt3r. You're definitely on the right track. Almost all screens (whether TV or computer) produces UV/blue light. Combine that with florescent lighting that most offices use and you're just smothered in it. Our tint blocks about 50-55% of the harmful spectrum of blue light (I think 400-450nm if I recall correctly). And it blocks 100% up to 400nm UV/blue spectrum.

The other key benefit is the geometry of our frame. Your blink rate drops to about a third of what it normally should be when you're sitting behind the screen (hence the dry eyes). So we use a high wrap in most of our frames that traps the moisture in your eye pocket and keeps it there. This helps to maintain your natural blink rate, hence reducing the dry eye factor.

The second benefit behind the geometry of our frame is the fact that as humans, we were not built to stare at an object 1-2 feet in front of us for 6, 8 hours a day. Our normal focal point should be about 10 feet out in front. In order to view something so close for so long, your ocular muscles (the muscles that control your eyeballs) have to stay flexed all day. Imagine holding a 15 pound weight over your head for 8 hours. Your arms at first, will be fine. After the 6th or 8th hour, your arms will most-likely feel like mush. This is the same thing you are doing to your ocular muscles. Your eyes were not made to work this hard, for this long. So the geometry of our frame also helps to bring this focal point closer. So instead of being 10 feet out, it's now 5-6 feet out. Your eyes are now able to still see the computer clearly, while not having to flex or work that hard.

All of these benefits, in addition to anti-reflective coatings and hard coats which reduce glare, we product the most optimal environment for your eyes.

For more information about how GUNNAR work, please visit http://www.gunnars.com/what-are-gunnars/how-do-they-work/.

For more information about "Keeping Your Eyes Safe in a Digital Age" check out this piece recently put out by The Vision Council http://www.thevisioncouncil.org/consumers//media/VCDigitalEyeStrainReport2012FINAL.pdf.

vanuary

einstien3k wrote:Hi

I have Rx in one eye only. What will be the cost for single eye Rx lens?

Hi einstien3k. Unfortunately, there is no single eye Rx service available. If you choose to go direct with GUNNAR, then the cost will still be $150.

DoomyDoomyDoomDoom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DoomyDoomyDoomDoom

I got gunnars. They are nice for when I know I'm going to be stuck staring at a monitor (esp with white page) or hanging around fluorescent light a lot. Even just reading a book is more pleasant with them. Really they are just tinted reading glasses.

They have one huge problem though. I quickly found that I can see my own eyes reflecting in them. It's horribly distracting. You need to try to ignore the sight of your own eyes staring at you and blinking. This drove me crazy and it's the reason why I only wear them when I feel like I really have to.

I think I've gotten good at pretending I don't see my own eyes with these on. Still creeps me out when I notice it.

ramkum

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ramkum

No full-frame black ones. Weezer Onyx would have been nice, or even Halogen Onyx. It seems these other colors don't sell so well and therefore end up being discounted.

Essential dilemma: Go broke or look like a dork.

melegaunt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages melegaunt

These are actually great glasses.
It took a day or two to get used to them, but now I even use them in college. They help make the chalk on the blackboard stand out.

My only complaint is that they seem a little fragile. I would prefer it if they had a titanium or stainless steel frame.

Antennapedia

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Antennapedia
bbexperience wrote:Any thoughts about using these for driving glasses?

I've found that on rainy/overcast days they can be really helpful, my guess is by blocking the blue wavelengths and improving the contrast? But I have no idea the science behind that or why it would help.

bborozan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bborozan
vanuary wrote:Hi einstien3k. Unfortunately, there is no single eye Rx service available. If you choose to go direct with GUNNAR, then the cost will still be $150.

what about those of us blessed to be old enough to need readers, and spend lotsa time in front of 'puters, using e-readers, tablets, etc?

can we get readers made via the gunnar website?

vanuary

uman44 wrote:Are the Halogens the widest frame offered from Gunnar? Even if I have to wait or *gasp* pay full retail, I want to get the widest available for my pumpkin head.

Hi uman44. No the Halogen is the widest frame offered in this Woot sale. If you're looking for the widest frame in our entire collection, than it's the RPG Gunmetal Amber that has a hinge to hinge measurement of 140mm and bridge of 18mm.

shahnm

quality posts: 24 Private Messages shahnm

I have 3 27 inch monitors side-by-side-by-side. I have heard that these glasses tend to distort at the edges. Is there a particular model that would be usable with my type of setup (without distorted or wavy images at the periphery)?

shimey013

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shimey013

Finally these appear on a pay week, and I get paid friday.. that is awesome.

I have been wanting a pair for awhile but could never spend the money on them.. so Bit Surfers are ordered, figured these would be good since i spend all day looking at a computer screen anyway.

My Cellar

W: 2 W.W: 5 S.W: 1

lokiju

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lokiju

Anyone else get these to help with twitching of the eye area after working in front of a monitor all day every day? Did it help prevent that?

I get some really dry and twitchy eyes after sitting in front of a monitor all day long and would gladly pay the price for these if they actually helped.

noiwontsmile

quality posts: 1 Private Messages noiwontsmile

So how does the tech compare to a pair of Oakleys with their H.I. Yellow lenses? Example: http://www.oakley.com/products/2003/10352. I'm also looking for a good general comparison review if anyone has come across one.

I also read the company was founded by "...an executive team formed from Apple Computer and Oakley individuals.." I consider this a plus on both cases given each companies quality and design history.

3Horn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 3Horn

I have a pair, and I'm sure they'd work great, except that the bridge is too wide, and as a result wearing them gives me a headache as my eyes cross.

crustymcsock

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crustymcsock

I feel pressure behind my ears typically and prefer sunglasses that are very flexible and have nonrigid ends. Which pair here or on their site would people recommend?

Thanks

moneyman333

quality posts: 0 Private Messages moneyman333

I ordered a pair and they have shipped. Is it normal for the tracking on the standard shipping to not work, or should I be worried?

I got my "shipped" email on Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 12:37 AM. When I try to use the tracking link, I get this message from USPS:

"Delivery status information is not available for your item via this web site. A return receipt after mailing may be available through your local Post Office."

vanuary

DoomyDoomyDoomDoom wrote:I got gunnars. They are nice for when I know I'm going to be stuck staring at a monitor (esp with white page) or hanging around fluorescent light a lot. Even just reading a book is more pleasant with them. Really they are just tinted reading glasses.

They have one huge problem though. I quickly found that I can see my own eyes reflecting in them. It's horribly distracting. You need to try to ignore the sight of your own eyes staring at you and blinking. This drove me crazy and it's the reason why I only wear them when I feel like I really have to.

I think I've gotten good at pretending I don't see my own eyes with these on. Still creeps me out when I notice it.

Hi DoomyDoomyDoomDoom. Sounds like you may have received a defective pair? Please email me at van@gunnars.com and let's see what we can do about getting you a new set of GUNNARS.

vanuary

bborozan wrote:what about those of us blessed to be old enough to need readers, and spend lotsa time in front of 'puters, using e-readers, tablets, etc?

can we get readers made via the gunnar website?

Hi bborozan. Our prescription program online is for single vision only. As long as you aren't getting a progressive, you can do it through our website.

vanuary

macuva wrote:Thanks so much for the info. Unfortunately the Weezer onyx is sold out. How can I get this info for the glasses on your website? I don't see where it is available. Thanks.

Hi macuva. Some styles on our website have the option of viewing "SPECS" (located right underneath the frame once you've clicked into that product page) so this is where you will find the measurement information on our website. However not all of the styles have this option. If you want the full measurements for all frames, feel free to email at van@gunnars.com and I can send you my spreadsheet for reference.