brucem105


quality posts: 3 Private Messages brucem105

I'm a bit of an audiophile, and my home system contains an M&K THX-certified sub with dual 12" drivers and a big amp. It's in my basement home theater and literally will rattle windows two levels up in my house.

A friend brought over his Baby Boomer sub from Pinnacle just to compare. While it's not in the M&K's league, I can say that the Baby Boomer provides PLENTY of clean, tight bass and is a great overall value at the selling price, especially in a home theater system (although it sounded pretty good with music too).

Bruce

TELLingson


quality posts: 2 Private Messages TELLingson

Here is a great review for those of you considering the PS-225

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1394967/official-pinnacle-owners-thread

pinnaclespeakers


quality posts: 89 Private Messages pinnaclespeakers
rxbike@gmail.com wrote:What is the basic difference in your BD500 series II vs. these on sale here ?



SERIES II on these models have slightly extended frequency range on the high end and low end response. SERIES II warranties are 12 years, as opposed to 10. But, SERIES II products are only offered through authorized custom installers and are not available retail for "do it yourselfers."

Baby Boomer or SUBcompact 8 would be your best acoustic subwoofer matches for the BD 300 and BD 500.

We point out that these are liquidation prices, only available through WOOT and are designed to be no brainer, grab-them-now deals.

longwalkhome


quality posts: 0 Private Messages longwalkhome
pinnaclespeakers wrote:The BABY BOOMER is our best seller high performance sub. We are married to it for a long time. When a web site says "Discontinued" it does not necessarily mean the manufacturer discontinued the item, it just may not be available at that web site, and sometimes it never was. Best to check the manufacturers site for most accurate information.



I got the baby bommer last time hate to say this was the worst sub I ever had I even sold it for$200.00 just to get ride of it..........

swissmr


quality posts: 3 Private Messages swissmr

warning question from not audio expert
currently have
Sony HTIB 1000w 5.1 Surround HTSS360 (purchased since had reciever with 3 hdmi and price)


looking at your 1000w 5.1 set I was wondering how much this set trumps my current one. I know yours is superior, just dont know how much. Would this be a night and day change or just a minimal upgrade?
Could I use my current Sony receiver or is that out of the question? I know what great audio should sound like, i visited an audio store in switzerland with 11k tower speakers. My ears have never before, or after heard such clarity, it was liked seeing HD for the first time. It ruined me now...my system was fine until I heard that.

cooker


quality posts: 0 Private Messages cooker

How long is this speaker bar beastie (end to end or side to side depending on how you want to see it)?

pinnaclespeakers


quality posts: 89 Private Messages pinnaclespeakers
swissmr wrote:warning question from not audio expert
currently have
Sony HTIB 1000w 5.1 Surround HTSS360 (purchased since had reciever with 3 hdmi and price)


looking at your 1000w 5.1 set I was wondering how much this set trumps my current one. I know yours is superior, just dont know how much. Would this be a night and day change or just a minimal upgrade?
Could I use my current Sony receiver or is that out of the question? I know what great audio should sound like, i visited an audio store in switzerland with 11k tower speakers. My ears have never before, or after heard such clarity, it was liked seeing HD for the first time. It ruined me now...my system was fine until I heard that.



Hello, Arin with Pinnacle speakers customer support here. We have reviewed the Sony website and looked at the specifications they provide for their system. We feel this is the most objective way for us to answer your question. We will first comment that Sony is not a speaker company, they are a broad based consumer electronics company making anything from HTIB to computers to TV's. So, from our 37 years experience, that means sometimes a product is exceptional and other times, not so much. Each item needs to be looked at for what it is. In this instance, we look at the weight of the products in the Sony System and do not need to go farther. The center channel weights less than 1 pound, the front left and right weigh 1 pound, and the subwoofer 6.6 pounds. Contrast that to our subwoofers of 25-30 pounds each and similar variances for the other speakers. This is extremely telling cause it means the enclosures in the Sony system are not designed to handle any real output. They will vibrate and distort at any reasonable volume levels. Build quality is extremely relevent for speaker performance. We Let the anvils ring! to pile on here, but the facts are either of our 5.1 systems will in fact be a night and day difference....It is not a real fair comparative as our systems are designed to compete in the $800-$1200 price levels, and they do. As to the receiver, it is rated @ 167 watts/channel x 5 at 3 ohms and with 30% THD.
At 8 ohms and low THD, we estimate the amplifier would be rated at 25-30 watts/channel. In our view, these specs are inconsistant with acheiving the best sonic performance from any speakers.......so we would recommend a different receiver for the best performance.

Clipdat


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Clipdat

AMEN! That Sony receiver has got to go.

Take a look at something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-RC460-7-2-Channel-Network-Receiver/dp/B008CXTX5U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1349937562&sr=8-2&keywords=ht-rc370

dsuit


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dsuit

The spec page for the BD 500's indicates they are available in white, but I don't see any color selection menu. Is white available?

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 586 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

dsuit wrote:The spec page for the BD 500's indicates they are available in white, but I don't see any color selection menu. Is white available?


Good catch. It comes in 2 colors but we are only offering the black in this sale.



FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

davepittpa


quality posts: 0 Private Messages davepittpa
msmack123 wrote:To preface, I know next to nothing about speakers...

I have been looking to upgrade my sound quality for a very long time. I cannot stand the built in speakers on my television.

I was considering going with the QP9, but in reality I have no idea what I am talking about. What is the best approach for me to go with?

Additionally, do I need anything beyond what I purchase here to operate properly?

Thanks!

Edit: Space is also somewhat an issue, hence the speaker bar...



I highly recommend a audio website called accessories4less.com. They sell discounted audio equipment and cables. Some of their deals are excellent and Mark in sales there is an excellent and highly ethical expert on audio equipment. I have bought several items from them and have high end audio sound on a modest budget, only a couple of hundred dollars more than a good "out of the box" surround system with far far better sound. The link to their site is:
http://www.accessories4less.com/

yogasuz


quality posts: 0 Private Messages yogasuz

Hi. I have a very small home. It is less than 1000 sq ft and has an upstairs and downstairs. So, my downstairs is maybe 600 sq ft.

I am considering purchasing the 500 Watt home theater system to use with my television which is in my downstairs.

Would this be the appropriate system? Or would I be better off with just a sound bar considering how small my space is?

gavinliu


quality posts: 0 Private Messages gavinliu

I'm looking for stereo upgrade for my TV. Can I connect the LCR 250 or BD 500 to a mini amp like this one instead of a receiver?

http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PTA2-2x40W-Stereo-Amplifier/dp/B0013CDZDI

Which pair of speakers would be better for a TV?

bobthenormal


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bobthenormal

Anyone? Still trying to decide which sub is the best choice. From what I can tell they're all almost equally good in performance except the BB because it has two.

bobthenormal wrote:Hi all,

Hoping to get some input on this choice - I'm looking at the 8"/300W PS or the Baby Boomer.

I really don't know anything about this stuff, just getting into it and trying to pick out a decent system that will last a few years and not be disappointing. Plan to use it for both TV/movies and music in a small living room (~15x20).

I have an Onkyo TX-NR414 and the recent wooted speaker set, Take Classic by Energy.

I also had a passive sub laying around that I'm using now, but it sounds like crap, hence why I'm here.

Can someone make some points about each of these subs to help me decide which one of these is worth buying?

In particular, I'm trying to understand if there is really a significant difference between these subs and a cheaper one from Amazon, such as the Polk Audio PSW10 for ~$100, for my purposes.

Appreciate any honest advice/opinions, thanks.



pinnaclespeakers


quality posts: 89 Private Messages pinnaclespeakers
yogasuz wrote:Hi. I have a very small home. It is less than 1000 sq ft and has an upstairs and downstairs. So, my downstairs is maybe 600 sq ft.

I am considering purchasing the 500 Watt home theater system to use with my television which is in my downstairs.

Would this be the appropriate system? Or would I be better off with just a sound bar considering how small my space is?



Hello, Arin with Pinnacle Speakers customer support. This is a rare instance where we would recommend the Qp9W SpeakerBar and a small footprint subwoofer, SUBCOMPACT 8 as the best solution due to the small space. So, we are omotting the rear channel in this instance. We think in a 600 sq' space which must include a kitchen and other non-listening area, this is the better solution, as opposed to the entire system. We hope this helps

pinnaclespeakers


quality posts: 89 Private Messages pinnaclespeakers
cooker wrote:How long is this speaker bar beastie (end to end or side to side depending on how you want to see it)?



Here are the dimensions with the Bar laying horizontally

38" Wide x 4 3/8" High x 4" Deep (with grille and mounting bracket)


pinnaclespeakers


quality posts: 89 Private Messages pinnaclespeakers
pinnaclespeakers wrote:Here are the dimensions with the Bar laying horizontally

38" Wide x 4 3/8" High x 4" Deep (with grille and mounting bracket)



To clarify, a custom wall mount bracket is INCLUDED with the product if you choose to wall mount it. It is designed to be virtually flush to the wall if you use the bracket. For table top placement, there is a table base included as well.

pinnaclespeakers


quality posts: 89 Private Messages pinnaclespeakers
bobthenormal wrote:Anyone? Still trying to decide which sub is the best choice. From what I can tell they're all almost equally good in performance except the BB because it has two.



Hello, Pinnacle customer support team here to assist. The 2 small footprint subwoofers, Subcompact 8 and Baby Boomer are exceptional for use with music. They are designed to be outstanding performers in a small footprint, a very challenging job for our engineers. Producing significnt bass from a large enclosure is a lot easier than doing so with a tiny enclosure. If placing the sub in a wall unit the front firing Subcompact 8 is the right choice. Other than that, for the price difference the Baby Boomer has substantially more depth of bass and output. It is excellent for both music and movies. Now, the PSSUB 225 is a larger physical product and ported, it therefore will produce a louder VOLUME of bass and is good in large rooms above 500 sq' or large listening areas, or where there are cathedral ceilings. Volume of bass is not depth of bass..........the Baby Boomer bass is deeper than PSSUB 225 and you can feel it and hear it. IF you want mostly movies and have a lsrger area, the PSSUB 225 is an excellent choice. As to $100 subwoofers we will say all the subwoofers in this promotion are designed to compete in the $600-$1000 price range, and we believe they stack up very well with subwoofers in that price range.

davepittpa


quality posts: 0 Private Messages davepittpa

I highly recommend an audio site called accessories4less.com. They sell audio components that are anywhere from lower end to very, very high end at great deals. Many of the items are factory refurbished, overstock, or discontinued models that are of excellent quality. I both my klipsch Quintet 5 surrounds from Woot, but a Denon A/V receiver and Mordaunt short sub from Accessories4less.com. They have a sales person their named, Mark who is very knowledgeable and ethical. He has saved me money on stuff I didn't need that other less knowledgeable people tell me I do, like an optical cable instead of HDMI, and does not work on commission. I posted this before and I can't find it, so I don't know if it's not appropriate for me to recommend another site on here, but the site I mentioned and their staff is excellent for audio. I put together a system for about $750 that blows my "out of the box" Sony system away. No comparison for $250 more. Pinnacle speakers are low end speakers that use fiber based and foam drivers. Look for something with a better quality driver, such as aluminum and rubber. Denon A/V receivers are excellent.

vanevenhoven


quality posts: 22 Private Messages vanevenhoven

I'll be damned. I've bought to 300w 8" sub before, and this time, I've picked up the Baby Boomer 600w duel 8", a pair of the 3 element LCRs (for the office), the 700w 5.1 system, and the Pinnacle Speaker S-FIT TWR 1050 5-Element Floor Speaker
$149.00. But only one!!!! Can you get me another for $149 so I can pair up? I can't believe I only got one, and they are the ones sold out now! Can you help?

pinnaclespeakers wrote:Hello, Pinnacle customer support team here to assist. The 2 small footprint subwoofers, Subcompact 8 and Baby Boomer are exceptional for use with music. They are designed to be outstanding performers in a small footprint, a very challenging job for our engineers. Producing significnt bass from a large enclosure is a lot easier than doing so with a tiny enclosure. If placing the sub in a wall unit the front firing Subcompact 8 is the right choice. Other than that, for the price difference the Baby Boomer has substantially more depth of bass and output. It is excellent for both music and movies. Now, the PSSUB 225 is a larger physical product and ported, it therefore will produce a louder VOLUME of bass and is good in large rooms above 500 sq' or large listening areas, or where there are cathedral ceilings. Volume of bass is not depth of bass..........the Baby Boomer bass is deeper than PSSUB 225 and you can feel it and hear it. IF you want mostly movies and have a lsrger area, the PSSUB 225 is an excellent choice. As to $100 subwoofers we will say all the subwoofers in this promotion are designed to compete in the $600-$1000 price range, and we believe they stack up very well with subwoofers in that price range.



lmaxwellb


quality posts: 2 Private Messages lmaxwellb
heggs83 wrote:You would need a receiver for the QP9. This is not a standalone unit like some soundbars out there. You would wire up your Center, Left, and Right accordingly. You would need a 5.1 Receiver minimally to do this (they don't make 3.1 receivers). From there, you would also run the LFE coax cable to the subwoofer, whatever brand/model it may be.

The advantage of this soundbar is the value and convenience of having all three front channels in the same place. I've been looking at soundbars from many different companies, and this is quite a good deal. Additionally, it looks like they publish reasonably accurate specs, no exaggeration here.




Hi, I purchased the sound bar, and the 8 subwoofer, I also purchased a PIONEER | VSX-522-K, I hate paying for expensive wires - can you tell me what I need to connect everything? THanks

skrutinizr


quality posts: 8 Private Messages skrutinizr
lmaxwellb wrote:Hi, I purchased the sound bar, and the 8 subwoofer, I also purchased a PIONEER | VSX-522-K, I hate paying for expensive wires - can you tell me what I need to connect everything? THanks



Just get a spool of speaker wire from Home Depot. Don't believe the hype about "high end" speaker wire- it's all BS.

pinnaclespeakers


quality posts: 89 Private Messages pinnaclespeakers
Wookee wrote:Now I'm thinking about the BD 300 center channel, but I can't find any real reviews for it. It looks like it's been out for a while, so why is there no professional interest?



Hello, Pinnacle Speakers working late east coast time. The BD 300 was part of an entire Black Diamond system review from Home Theater Magazine, where they said "The Black Diamonds are Jewels", among many other notable quotes. The review scores are amongst the highest EVER recorded with Home Theater Magazine. Here is a link to the review.
http://pinnaclespeakers.com/revu_blackdiamondht.html
Once again, at the risk of being redundant, we know this product has been installed by thousands of professional installers for $400. This bargain is an exclusive Woot opportunity. The dramatic savings is in part, cause you will hook them up yourself, we are now into Series II at $500 each.

pinnaclespeakers


quality posts: 89 Private Messages pinnaclespeakers
vanevenhoven wrote:I'll be damned. I've bought to 300w 8" sub before, and this time, I've picked up the Baby Boomer 600w duel 8", a pair of the 3 element LCRs (for the office), the 700w 5.1 system, and the Pinnacle Speaker S-FIT TWR 1050 5-Element Floor Speaker
$149.00. But only one!!!! Can you get me another for $149 so I can pair up? I can't believe I only got one, and they are the ones sold out now! Can you help?



We are confident you will get another crack at these......Like dorito chips, we will just make more...........Consider buying 2 more next time and use the 1 you have as an amazing center channel. Unauthodox, but very impressive with 3 towers across the front.

pinnaclespeakers


quality posts: 89 Private Messages pinnaclespeakers

Good morning Woot Community. Arin with Pinnacle Speakers customer support team. If there are any last questions Pinnacle can assist with please ask and we will do our best to help.

We are delighted that hundreds of additional families and audio enthusiasts will now be enjoying our exceptional products.

bobthenormal


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bobthenormal

Just so you know, I appreciated the feedback and went with the BB per your recommendation - I have a small space but I don't want to be in any way let down on the "depth" of the sound, so that extra $100 seems worth it to basically get 2x the output (power wise).

pinnaclespeakers wrote:Hello, Pinnacle customer support team here to assist. The 2 small footprint subwoofers, Subcompact 8 and Baby Boomer are exceptional for use with music. They are designed to be outstanding performers in a small footprint, a very challenging job for our engineers. Producing significnt bass from a large enclosure is a lot easier than doing so with a tiny enclosure. If placing the sub in a wall unit the front firing Subcompact 8 is the right choice. Other than that, for the price difference the Baby Boomer has substantially more depth of bass and output. It is excellent for both music and movies. Now, the PSSUB 225 is a larger physical product and ported, it therefore will produce a louder VOLUME of bass and is good in large rooms above 500 sq' or large listening areas, or where there are cathedral ceilings. Volume of bass is not depth of bass..........the Baby Boomer bass is deeper than PSSUB 225 and you can feel it and hear it. IF you want mostly movies and have a lsrger area, the PSSUB 225 is an excellent choice. As to $100 subwoofers we will say all the subwoofers in this promotion are designed to compete in the $600-$1000 price range, and we believe they stack up very well with subwoofers in that price range.



Clipdat


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Clipdat
skrutinizr wrote:Just get a spool of speaker wire from Home Depot. Don't believe the hype about "high end" speaker wire- it's all BS.



Or, you could try out some modestly priced Audioquest speaker cables to see if you can hear a difference. If you can't, then by all means go with the cheap speaker wire and save some cash.

bubblessunshine


quality posts: 1 Private Messages bubblessunshine
pinnaclespeakers wrote:Hey Woot Community -

Arin with Pinnacle Speakers here, and I'm available to answer any questions you may have on our products. Ask away...



bubblessunshine


quality posts: 1 Private Messages bubblessunshine

Sorry I am new to this. We grabbed the Pinnacle Q P 9 sound bar, now I need to know how to connect it. We have a Mitsubishi DLP TV. No receiver, I have been reading this sound bar needs no receiver?
What connections do I need to hook up to my TV.

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 586 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

bubblessunshine wrote:Sorry I am new to this. We grabbed the Pinnacle Q P 9 sound bar, now I need to know how to connect it. We have a Mitsubishi DLP TV. No receiver, I have been reading this sound bar needs no receiver?
What connections do I need to hook up to my TV.



According to the Pinnacle rep's post earlier in this forum, you will need a receiver:

pinnaclespeakers wrote:Yes, you would need a receiver for this set up.

The QP9 Wood is a passive speaker bar, meaning that it does need a receiver. The inputs on this bar are for speaker wire, center channel, left front and right front channels.

The input to accommodate an iPod or other media device will generally be on the receiver.



Also, a wooter posts later:

heggs83 wrote:You would need a receiver for the QP9. This is not a standalone unit like some soundbars out there. You would wire up your Center, Left, and Right accordingly. You would need a 5.1 Receiver minimally to do this (they don't make 3.1 receivers). From there, you would also run the LFE coax cable to the subwoofer, whatever brand/model it may be.


FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

bubblessunshine


quality posts: 1 Private Messages bubblessunshine
ThunderThighs wrote:



Thank you.

soendriss


quality posts: 0 Private Messages soendriss

Received baby boomer new defective. Called tech and was told no problem we will send out new speaker next day and we may or may not want the defective one back. I'm thinking great service. I call back over a week later to find out shipping and am told the part is out of stock? What part? you are sending out new speaker, right? Yes, but not a new unit and the new speakers we are to get in are a little different from what's in now and the new speaker might fight a little with the old one. I'm like gee don't you think we should change both? Yes we wil send both when they come in. I will be calm until Jan. 2, 2013. I'm bothered that I though I was to get a new unit sent out the next day and when nothing was sent out I did not get a curticy call or message.
Steve

dare666


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dare666
heggs83 wrote:For the QP9 Soundbar, it is purely just a speaker bar that integrates the front three channels into a convenient single unit. They are unpowered, so you would need minimally a 5.1 capable receiver. I suppose you could get by with a Stereo receiver, but you would only be able to utilize the left and right channels.

There are a number of entry level receivers out there that can be had for around $200 to $300 (Onkyo, Denon, Pioneer, Yamaha, Harmon Kardon, etc). The feature set on these receivers is typically limited, but they can provide the channel outputs that you need to take advantage of this soundbar. From there, I'd look into getting some back surrounds and a sub to fill out the low end.

On top of that, you would need to get speaker wire (I'd recommend 14 to 12 gauge), and any interconnect wires you may need to connect up your receiver to any sources you may have (TV, Cable box, Blu ray player, etc).



What kind of speaker wire specifically? I'm having a hard time fitting anything in there... They are red/black but everything is red/white... does the color not matter at all? I assume black=white? I'm completely lost.

nokomis5502


quality posts: 0 Private Messages nokomis5502
pinnaclespeakers wrote:Hello, Arin with Pinnacle Speakers customer support. This is a rare instance where we would recommend the Qp9W SpeakerBar and a small footprint subwoofer, SUBCOMPACT 8 as the best solution due to the small space. So, we are omotting the rear channel in this instance. We think in a 600 sq' space which must include a kitchen and other non-listening area, this is the better solution, as opposed to the entire system. We hope this helps



I've got a similiar problem. We have an 11' X 11' X 10.5' high den with a 2.1 set up sub died and am consudering the Pinnalce SUBcompact 8 to run with my Spendor SP7/1's which I'm going to replace next year. Will this combo work? Thanks.

Kirk