gorbag

quality posts: 2 Private Messages gorbag

Invicta is the 'citizen' of the modern time. (Timex has a better longevity history). Buy it because you like the look, don't expect it to last a long time. (I currently own an Invicta Rolex lookalike: automatic, swiss movement, gains about 2 minutes a week...). Looks great out of the box, and unlike prior cheap watches (including a Seiko), the crystal (supposedly sapphire) has remained scratch free for about 3 years now).

warcorp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages warcorp

Unfortunately Invictus watches are not the most durable, the last one I bought from woot stopped working in 8 days after wearing it twice. Woot wouldn't take a return and the only option was Warranty which also costs money which I couldn't justify. It's now living in a drawer.

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 93 Private Messages radi0j0hn

Chinese "Fashion" watches are boring.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

amphicar770

quality posts: 1 Private Messages amphicar770

I have another Invicta watch sitting in a drawer. I can rely on it or accurate time twice every 24 hours.

fugitivepope

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fugitivepope

I recently owned an Invicta divers watch which was certified down to 600 feet. It was silver and black and so big I was always looking for something to bludgeon with it. I loved that manly watch like the pit bull I never owned. In less than a year the band had broken and three hands had fallen off. MSRP was $595 but actual price was $155 (I saved $440!). Just sharing.

R&D

quality posts: 2 Private Messages R&D

Flava Flav turned this watch down, because it was too big. It could be mounted on a wall big...

aarphacker

quality posts: 3 Private Messages aarphacker

A really nice post. I do own invicta watches and i never have had one break. None of the watches i purchased were over $100.

I have small wrists and they work fine and are comfortable, most are curved so that they fit well even on small wrists, although I would avoid watches over 50 mm. Therefore have not purchased a Russian Diver yet.

I wear one of these at least once a week, however my every day watch is an inexpensive casio ecodrive, still about $20 more than any invicta watch.

One more thing. Notwithstanding their inflated prices, invicta is a reputable watch company run by true watch geeks. 'Nuff said.

kurahee wrote:Ok, Folks. I own a couple of invicta watches, so I'll try to answer this in a way that will help people that don't know much about watches, or more directly, Invicta.

First, as mentioned earlier, forget about the MSRP. Invicta's best marketing ploy of all time was to create numbers for an MSRP that gives the average, uneducated buyer the idea that they are getting the best deal on the planet. No, you aren't. If you buy this watch, you are getting a watch that is not worth $600. and probably not even the $60 that you are thinking of shelling out for this watch.

First of all, take away the MSRP and just look at the $60 price. Is it worth that? because if it is to you, this is a no-brainer if you are looking for a fairly cheap, reasonable, reliable watch.

Invicta has a reputation for large case sizes. This one is no different, as it has a 45mm case width. Fairly large, but not in today's market. for a man, 45mm is a pretty good size for a watch you want to be seen, but not so big that you look like Randy Jackson of A.I. fame.

it is a "swiss parts quartz" which means that there may be one or two parts on the watch or the watch movement that were made or sourced in Switzerland, home of primo watches, great chocolate, and questionable bank accounts. But as anybody in the watch world knows, a watch that has the words "Swiss made" at the bottom of the dial are worth a LOT more than other watches because the swiss are fanatical about their watch making and the reputation of watches that carry that "swiss made" label. This watch does not have this.

What this means, in all probability (but I don't know for sure) that this watch was manufactured in China, which means Chinese parts, Chinese labor, Chinese costs. That's how a watch that costs $60 to you can still be making some money for Invicta.

This isn't necessarily bad, mind you. But it does mean you aren't getting a watch that will be fought over by relatives after you die. And if it breaks, you won't cry. What you do get is a watch that will keep good time (it's quartz, so it will be accurate) for a few bucks. Now, the quiestions you should ask yourself... 1) do you need a watch? 2) do you like this watch? 3) can you afford the $65?

woot! is giving you three choices, and for the money, it's not a bad deal at all. It's $60 plus tax and shipping. For that, you get a decent looking watch that will more than likely keep relatively good time.

a couple of things I noticed in the description. The strap is made out of "Textured black action leather". I don't know what that means, but it's either cheap leather, pleather, or some sort of material that is man-made. The band length is no where to be found (at least for me), so if you have a large wrist, you are risking that the watch will even fit. The second thing is the crystal. It's not Sapphire, a very nice, very scratch resistant material. Flame fusion is the name of their in-house crystal-making method. That's it. I have no idea how scratch resistant it makes their crystals, but it's a cool marketing phrase made up by the folks at Invicta.

If you are still reading this, you are obviously interested in the watch and learning something too. Which is always good. Invicta is a watch brand that has been flooding the watch market for a number of years now, primarily selling through distribution channels such as TV shopping networks, primarily ShopNBC.

If you have never owned an Invicta watch, this isn't a bad price point to enter into the brand. But be clear. This is NOT a $600 watch. The watch most likely will appear cheap to you in some way. And you will be majorly disappointed if you actually think it's a watch you would actually drop $600 on.

For me, the biggest concern would be the band, I don't know if it's actually leather or not, but my guess is that it is cheap leather if it is. The lume will be fine, and the watch will keep good time because of the quartz.

And it's got a pretty decent look to it. All in all, I've seen worse for more money. But personal taste should prevail.

Good luck!

One final note: The two watches I have purchased were decent watches, but nothing I'd pass down to the next generation in my family. However, they both keep good time, and I wear one almost exclusively when I do work on the car or in the yard. Both watches have very cheap bands. Neither one was purchased with the idea that it would be a dress watch or the star of my watch collection.

razz76230

quality posts: 0 Private Messages razz76230

Just hope your Invicta dosent fall apart. I have 4 and every single watch has either broken or a hand has fallen off inside. The customer service department is on auto pilot and is the worst I have ever called. Save your mony and buy a sundail made of concrete. It will serve you better and when it breaks at least its yard art,

elk77

quality posts: 0 Private Messages elk77

I am wondering where is it made. In China using Swiss parts?

charliecarroll

quality posts: 104 Private Messages charliecarroll
uberskippy wrote:So how much is it really worth? I mean if it's a $200 watch that's not bad. If it's a $99 watch screw it.

It may be worth $60 at the most but not even that for me. Invicta has a horrible reputation among horologist (horology = the study of timepieces) and watch collectors. Invicta is basically a made for TV watch and although may be found now and then at some outlets, most sales are made on TV. Invicta uses "this is a $600 watch for only $60 as the big hook in their overall sales gimmick. Remember, Invicta sets the MSRP and they can and do set that way out of any reasonable range it should be. Further, as the the one year warranty, Invicta has a very bad reputation when it comes to customer service. Take the time (before you buy) to do some web investigation on the brand before you buy. They have also been known to make out and out untruths when describing their watches. In one case they were saying a watch had diamonds in the case. There were no diamonds it was crystals and Invicta (after the cat was out of the bag had to admit to it. No doubt they make a fine looking watch but you would be much better off putting your money in another brand IMHO. Here is one customer's story on Invicta Customer Service and I believe it is more the rule than the exception,
http://www.complaints.com/2009/june/28/Does_Invicta_Watch_Company_Care__No__208074.htm

erastimus

quality posts: 1 Private Messages erastimus

Keep your existing watch and give $60 to your favorite charity(s). You will feel better than if you owned another watch.

colbytitus

quality posts: 5 Private Messages colbytitus
uberskippy wrote:So how much is it really worth? I mean if it's a $200 watch that's not bad. If it's a $99 watch screw it.

Really, all watch manufacturers use about the same quality materials. These MSRPs are inflated.
The only thing, other than designer names, diamonds or precious metals, that cause a significant jump in value is if it is "Swiss Movement". This has Swiss movement parts but that doesn't really help much. It has to be assembled in Switzerland by approved manufacturers to be called "Swiss Movement". Invicta is a good quality brand and just about any brand is going to make watches that keep near perfect time.

Everbody

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Everbody

I'm looking for a watch. Oh, there it is, my Casio solar powered, radio updated g-shock watch that's 10 years old.

------------------------
Quid malmborg im Plano
------------------------

redeemer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages redeemer

It's a knockoff. There are a ton of things missing from the watch. Compare the photos with REAL invictas and see for yourself. Shame on you woot! for selling knockoffs.

Woot Support is a joke. Bunch of slack Romulans.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 545 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

redeemer wrote:It's a knockoff. There are a ton of things missing from the watch. Compare the photos with REAL invictas and see for yourself. Shame on you woot! for selling knockoffs.

We do not sell knockoffs.

Our Photo:

From the Invicta site:

From the Woot buyer: These were bought directly from the source. These are a new line from Invicta and we are the first to get to offer this model in the U.S. That's why you're having problems finding comparables from other sites and why the Invicta site shows a drawing of the watch rather than a photo.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

oddsbeater1

quality posts: 3 Private Messages oddsbeater1

I wish WOOT would try to obtain some of Invicta's higher end watches for a good deal.

I think, therefore.."I-M".

vladistov

quality posts: 50 Private Messages vladistov
ThunderThighs wrote:We do not sell knockoffs. . . .

Speak softly, and carry a big photo.

dalem589

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dalem589

I would say, since Nautica is not a watch company, that Invicta made it for them. Invicta is a very large manufacturer, and does make watches under labels. It appears that Nautica is one of them.

knowitall21 wrote:Is it just me or do these look EXACTLY like this Nautica watch?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0049N5JUU?ref=endl_rd

Looks like a rebrand to me...

watchmama

quality posts: 0 Private Messages watchmama

Thanks for this very thorough review of the watch. At least if we buy we know what we are getting. Appreciate your time to review!

kurahee wrote:(big quote)

dalem589

As a watch collector whose collection includes a number of brands, including some "inexpensive" Invictas, I must say that I have seen no evidence to support your claim that Invicta has a bad rep among collectors. You may not like them, but from what I have seen, by being a member of many watch forums, most people are happy with Invicta.

charliecarroll wrote:It may be worth $60 at the most but not even that for me. Invicta has a horrible reputation among horologist (horology = the study of timepieces) and watch collectors. Invicta is basically a made for TV watch and although may be found now and then at some outlets, most sales are made on TV. Invicta uses "this is a $600 watch for only $60 as the big hook in their overall sales gimmick. Remember, Invicta sets the MSRP and they can and do set that way out of any reasonable range it should be. Further, as the the one year warranty, Invicta has a very bad reputation when it comes to customer service. Take the time (before you buy) to do some web investigation on the brand before you buy. They have also been known to make out and out untruths when describing their watches. In one case they were saying a watch had diamonds in the case. There were no diamonds it was crystals and Invicta (after the cat was out of the bag had to admit to it. No doubt they make a fine looking watch but you would be much better off putting your money in another brand IMHO. Here is one customer's story on Invicta Customer Service and I believe it is more the rule than the exception,
http://www.complaints.com/2009/june/28/Does_Invicta_Watch_Company_Care__No__208074.htm

Pazuzu

quality posts: 9 Private Messages Pazuzu
redeemer wrote:It's a knockoff. There are a ton of things missing from the watch. Compare the photos with REAL invictas and see for yourself. Shame on you woot! for selling knockoffs.

I gotta say, in all my years of owning Invictas and watching people online go through fits over Invictas,
I've NEVER heard anyone say that someone ELSE made a knockoff of an Invicta, it's always the other way around!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 545 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

vladistov wrote:Speak softly, and carry a big photo.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

dalem589

Thank you for a nice educational posting.
I suspect that the band is of a normal length, which would be about 9 to 9.5" It is obviously made to resemble carbon fiber bands. In my experience the bands on Invicta watches are of good quality leather, and this one is probably no exception. Thanks again for a good post.

watchmama wrote:Thanks for this very thorough review of the watch. At least if we buy we know what we are getting. Appreciate your time to review!

davejensen

quality posts: 1 Private Messages davejensen

I am SO sick of seeing Invicta watches on daily deals sites like this one -- with their marked up "retail prices" and such. Guys, this is a cheap watch, there's nothing quality about it. I've got one on right now and the cheazy leather band broke in a couple of weeks. They are the ultimate product for a "sale" because they have this glitz look in a photo. But when you actually use them, they last less than a year. This is not a high quality product -- buy it only for style, not substance.

dalem589

I had to reply a 2nd time. Just wondering why you are going out of your way to run down this company?

charliecarroll wrote:It may be worth $60 at the most but not even that for me. Invicta has a horrible reputation among horologist (horology = the study of timepieces) and watch collectors. Invicta is basically a made for TV watch and although may be found now and then at some outlets, most sales are made on TV. Invicta uses "this is a $600 watch for only $60 as the big hook in their overall sales gimmick. Remember, Invicta sets the MSRP and they can and do set that way out of any reasonable range it should be. Further, as the the one year warranty, Invicta has a very bad reputation when it comes to customer service. Take the time (before you buy) to do some web investigation on the brand before you buy. They have also been known to make out and out untruths when describing their watches. In one case they were saying a watch had diamonds in the case. There were no diamonds it was crystals and Invicta (after the cat was out of the bag had to admit to it. No doubt they make a fine looking watch but you would be much better off putting your money in another brand IMHO. Here is one customer's story on Invicta Customer Service and I believe it is more the rule than the exception,

Pazuzu

quality posts: 9 Private Messages Pazuzu

This is a moderately sized Invicta, with a decent looking leather strap, good numeral size, date (and interesting date location), and, if the website is accurate, it actually DOES have a Swiss Made movement inside (ISA 2331/103). Now, picture doesn't show "Swiss Made" or "Swiss Mvmt" on the dial, which either means that the website is wrong, or that this watch is too new, and Invicta hasn't gone through the approval process to get it marked as such.

HOWEVER! According to ISA (the movement manufacturer), the date location for that movement is at the 3 o'clock location, which is NOT what we are seeing.
HOWEVER! After looking at the ISA schematics, it appears that the 2331/103 movement can be made with either the 3 o'clock or 6 o'clock date position, and with either small or big date numbers, so that's kosher. It also states that the movement is Swiss Made, but Far East constructed. That means the parts are made under contract with an approved Swiss manufacturer, then bundled off to China or Taiwan to be put together cheaply.
I believe that if this watch actually has an ISA 2331/103 movement, then it CAN have either "Swiss Mvmt" or "Swiss Made" on the dial if Invicta so chooses.

brentbigalo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brentbigalo
kurahee wrote:(large quote)

Thank you, very informative... made me realize i was about to be a sucker haha. That MSRP almost got me!

iammcdreamy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages iammcdreamy
kurahee wrote:(large quote)

Great message!

JoeMarfice

quality posts: 3 Private Messages JoeMarfice
kurahee wrote:The strap is made out of "Textured black action leather". I don't know what that means, but it's either cheap leather, pleather, or some sort of material that is man-made.

"Action leather" is available in 54" width, minimum order 300 meters.

So: no, it's some crap vinyl-wannabe.

http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/action-leather.html

hudsm9589

quality posts: 8 Private Messages hudsm9589

I bought the Divers Watch from here or somewhere else about 3 years ago, and its still ticking away on the first battery. Its huge and people always notice it.
The flame fusion face has yet to scratch, and I've hit it on things. The silver around the face, however isnt in perfect condition anymore, but its a good heavy watch that does get noticed.

jsouthard007

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jsouthard007

45mm case is not too large. I have small wrists and that is the perfect size. My daily "work" watch is a 10 year old Tissot T-touch; the case is 39 or 40mm and it looks small - too small, like as in out-of-style too small.

I own two Invictas. Both are beautiful watches; one is a rose gold/black automatic (45mm, paid $400) and the other a rose gold/brown quartz (48mm, paid $50). Neither are perfect - the automatic has an issue with the date dial alignment, and on the quartz the flyback function does not go back to 12 exactly (more like 58). However, I get a LOT of compliments on both. A friend of mine is a watch collector (over 60 watches, many automatics and rare/pricey) and he and his wife were awed by my automatic and how sharp it looks.

Point being, if you need exact time and perfect function Invicta is probably not the brand for you. If you are looking for an inexpensive but very fashionable/sharp-looking watch, Invicta makes some really good ones.

iluvtofly

quality posts: 2 Private Messages iluvtofly

I have bought 2 Invicta watches. Both broke within a couple of years. Both watches had a ridiculous msrp like around $600 but were on sale for $59.

If it is to good to be true.....

I can not recommend Invicta.

ericshmerick

quality posts: 7 Private Messages ericshmerick

$595 MSRP?! LOL this is the most egregious inflation of a retail price I've ever seen. This thing is junk!

anilpillai

quality posts: 1 Private Messages anilpillai
kurahee wrote:If you are still reading this, you are obviously interested in the watch and learning something too..

Actually, I was wondering why I was reading this..it came to me. It is because you spin a good yarn.

mdrcoast

quality posts: 11 Private Messages mdrcoast

I actually won an Invicta watch in a Big ol' Candy a while back and it has worked fine, It has a HUGE yellow face that covers my wrist and I get a lot of compliments on it. I have not had any of the issues described here, the only criticism is that the date window is so small you would have to be Steve Austin to read it. (Ha a 70's Reference!) The watch is fine, I have slammed it into door jams more times than I can remember with no damage. If you are looking for a watch, I would say go for it. You could also go to the local Walmart and get a 10 dollar watch (which I have a few sitting in a drawer) but this looks to be a decent watch. Maybe a good Christmas present for someone.

charliecarroll

dalem589 wrote:As a watch collector whose collection includes a number of brands, including some "inexpensive" Invictas, I must say that I have seen no evidence to support your claim that Invicta has a bad rep among collectors. You may not like them, but from what I have seen, by being a member of many watch forums, most people are happy with Invicta.

I too am a collector that has been a member of several forums for several years. In fact, Invicta was the "gateway" brand that brought me into collecting. I have found mostly the opposite to your statement when it comes to Invicta on the forums I belonged to. There fave been exceptions though. Most notably the forum that Jim Skelton (former ShopNBC watch busker) started and maintained for quite a few years. Of course that forum was very pro Invicta and you were booted out of there if you stated any complaints about the watch. But, as stated, the forum was started and maintained by at the time, one of the most well known Invicta, sellers. I still have about a dozen Invicta's as they are certainly not very resalable. I have had issues with four and because of the known CS problems they went to the trash can. I appreciate and respect your opinion but obviously our opinions (and that is what they are) are different. Currently I about 46 working time pieces that range from a Timex quartz that is over four years old and still operating with the original battery to a Rolex Date Just. If I were to buy a watch today and even trying to find a bargain basement price, it would not be an Invicta.

charliecarroll

ThunderThighs wrote:We do not sell knockoffs.

Our Photo:

From the Invicta site:

From the Woot buyer: These were bought directly from the source. These are a new line from Invicta and we are the first to get to offer this model in the U.S. That's why you're having problems finding comparables from other sites and why the Invicta site shows a drawing of the watch rather than a photo.

It is very easy to support the claims of Woot that they do not sell knockoffs. First, I am quite certain Woot would not enter into that kind of practice and second but just as important, no one is going to tool up to manufacture an Invicta. There are thousands if not hundreds of thousands of counterfeit watches out there. Although mostly made in China, they carry names of high dollar watches. Why would you tool up and make a counterfeit Invicta when you could, for the same cost make a counterfeit Rolex, Omega, of even a moderate end Sieko? Just like money counterfeiters make $20's and $50's. They certainly are not going through all the same steps to make $1's. So nobody is going to counterfeit an Invicta or any other low end watch.

ssratracer

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ssratracer

I share Charlies sentiments.
Being a member of various watch forums also, the mention of the "I" name will likely lead to a flame fest.
Got a problem with it? Call Rebecca, and send a $28 check along for a "warranty" repair and wait 3 months.(spoken from experience)

Sold them all, and got a 45% return.

montegobayjr

quality posts: 10 Private Messages montegobayjr
charliecarroll wrote:.... I have had issues with four and because of the known CS problems they went to the trash can....

Sorry, novice, "CS" problems?

EDIT: My guess is "Customer Service"...but that's just a guess...

fiftymegatims

quality posts: 3 Private Messages fiftymegatims

I should have bought the Timex after reading all the reviews on the Invicta. I have Non-buyers remorse.