stevenagray

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stevenagray
jamesh1011 wrote:Will all canon lenses fit on this camera?

Yes, any Canon EF series lens will work perfectly with it.

jenny6ann

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jenny6ann

These cameras are killing me....our canon eos rebel xt just died and we have been debating repairing (~$200) or replacing the body. Apparently we hit the majic number for the shutter mentioned earlier and the power board went at the same time. Thanks for continuing to make the decision difficult!

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 95 Private Messages radi0j0hn

Canon EOS mount lenses will fit...not older ones made in the 70's.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 95 Private Messages radi0j0hn

Attn Gym Photographers: This is not the magic fairy dust camera you are seeking that takes sports shots of your kid that are not "blurry."

You will need to attach a much more expensive lens to get he results you hope to achieve.

Read up on apertures and shutter speeds and why they matter before buying any camera for low light, fast action work.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

bahwm

quality posts: 27 Private Messages bahwm
scapsinger wrote:...and boom goes the dynamite...

Sams Club has this camera and lens in a kit with the 55-250mm lens, a bag, some cards and other junk for $799. The deal here on Woot is comparable to that, if you don't want/need all the extra junk.

It's a very good stills camera but is also VERY well regarded for its video recording quality. Highly recommend this for the well-heeled photo and video enthusiast.

I bought this "kit" at Sam's Club this summer and paid $899 for it! I wonder if I got anything more than the kit that you mentioned.

I bought this several weeks before the RPM tour from wine.woot and love it! I took the engagement pics for a couple who got engaged during the tour and also got a lot of awesome portrait-type shots. Then, a week later, I took it to Spain and went nuts with it there!

I absolutely LOVE this camera and all of its capabilities! This is a great deal. I would recommend that you still invest in the additional Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS II Telephoto Zoom Lens--it makes all the difference in the world and it is possible to get it for around $200, give or take.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

Netrilix

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Netrilix
craigthom wrote:It has a plastic mount, and they didn't even spring for the little red alignment bump for mounting it to the camera; it has a printed white square.

A white square is for an EF-S (cropped) lens, while the red bump is for an EF (full frame) lens. That's why there's both a red and a white alignment dot on the camera body; it accepts both mount-types.

Maybe they've changed since I got my EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Lens, but mine is an actual physical dot, differing only in color from the red one on my EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS USM Macro Lens. It's certainly not printed on, at least on the one I got.

silencebk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages silencebk

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-T3i-vs-Nikon-D5100

I am in the market for a decent DSLR and I think I have decided to go with the Nikon D5100. Take a look at the review of the D5100 vs T3i. For the price difference I feel like its a no-brainer.

Brian

craigthom

quality posts: 62 Private Messages craigthom
Netrilix wrote:A white square is for an EF-S (cropped) lens, while the red bump is for an EF (full frame) lens. That's why there's both a red and a white alignment dot on the camera body; it accepts both mount-types.

Maybe they've changed since I got my EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Lens, but mine is an actual physical dot, differing only in color from the red one on my EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS USM Macro Lens. It's certainly not printed on, at least on the one I got.

I did not know that about the square. It's the only EF-S lens I own.

It is definitely printed on, flush with the body of the lens. I can't feel it.

rcm1301

quality posts: 2 Private Messages rcm1301

what is the main differences between the T3 and T3i?

taylor6400

quality posts: 1 Private Messages taylor6400

They should, yes. I am new to the whole photography thing, but i think every Canon lens should fit this camera. I just bought the new t4i a month ago and debated back and forth on the t3i due to price difference. If this had popped up before i pulled the trigger i would be buying it.

You cant go wrong with this camera. Not a one of a kind deal, but a very good deal. If your looking at Canon DSLR's right now i would buy it.

Aalega

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Aalega
silencebk wrote:http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-T3i-vs-Nikon-D5100

I am in the market for a decent DSLR and I think I have decided to go with the Nikon D5100. Take a look at the review of the D5100 vs T3i. For the price difference I feel like its a no-brainer.

The prices quoted here from Amazon don't include a lens, correct? That is a nice comparison of the two cameras.

tomh922

quality posts: 3 Private Messages tomh922

The 2Ti was/is the goto video camera for budget conscience serious video people. Film schools use them extensively because of the 1080p capability. If 3Ti has the same capability as the 2Ti than you won't need a video camera and a still camera. Just turn the dial and you're there. You will need to buy class 10 memory cards for the video, 16G is a good size.

VetteLT193

quality posts: 6 Private Messages VetteLT193
henrydu wrote:D3100 vs T3i, which one is better??!!

I went with Nikon, not because the Canon is bad, but because of future use. In a nutshell: you have to pick a brand and it almost always comes down to Nikon Vs. Canon. Once you start you get accessories that match your brand and these are mega bucks. This is where you have to guess on the future... If you plan on doing picture taking with Flash and don't want a horrible PITA to get your pics to come out right, go with Nikon. If you plan on doing high speed sports stuff Canon seems to win. Now, Nikon in recent years has caught up in the sports arena so if you are taking casual pictures on your own Nikon is fine. Canon has not yet caught up with the easy/auto flash settings.

For a professional perspective... If you hire someone to take pictures you can bet that they will show up with a Nikon... this is because of the flash settings. If you go to a ball game and watch the guys on the sideline taking pics you can bet they are rocking a Canon.

In the end, if you go with either your mind will probably be blown away at the quality of the pictures. My brother in law has a canon and it takes great pics too, although we have only compared outdoor pics to date.

phuckyui

quality posts: 0 Private Messages phuckyui

This DSLR is amazing. Very good to photograph young lads at the beach. Also dose 1080p HD video, which I had made a few of them. Its a deal

darthaegis

quality posts: 2 Private Messages darthaegis
JuiceMaster wrote:Sad to say people but 599 isn't a deal on this camera. You can find it for that price at many other places... I could be wrong but I'd swear I saw this same camera on here a few weeks ago for 399.

[MOD: That was the T3. This is the T3i.]

Pretty sure that was an EOS Rebel.

charliecarroll

quality posts: 104 Private Messages charliecarroll

If you have not entered the world of SLR and have been thinking about it this is a great opportunity. The price is certainly right and Canon is second to none in quality and performance. Here are some (33) reviews.

http://reviews.dell.com/2341n/a5077213/canon-canon-eos-rebel-t3i-18-mp-digital-slr-camera-with-ef-s-18-55-mm-is-ii-lens-and-ef-s-55-250-mm-f-4-5-6-is-telephoto-zoom-lens-bundle-reviews/reviews.htm

Examples of price comparisons, Sears + $649 + S&H. B&H (well known for good prices) $649 and ships free. A 360 degree viewing with even more stats and information along with 562 reviews can be found here,

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/753762-REG/Canon_5169B003_EOS_Rebel_T3i_Digital.html

You will find in the above two sources for reviews this camera has an outstanding reputation with it's owners.

So, if you are thinking about SLR and have not gone there yet, now is a good time to pull the trigger and buy.

billthegunowner

quality posts: 13 Private Messages billthegunowner

These are a fantastic camera. I own a Canon Rebel DSLR and I love it. Have taken over 10,000 pics with it and never had any problems with it. Buy one, you won't be disappointed.

Bill

hanscarlet

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hanscarlet

OK guys, I have been wooting for the last two weeks and this is the third camera they put on sale, the first one T3 that was posted weeks ago was sold out by 3:00pm and then the put up the nikon a few days later but I've always really wanted a canon.... now the big rebel t3i at 18MP... man I really want this I am think I am going to move on this, gosh i need guts to pull the trigger because $600 is a big price tag but I really know this is a good deal and it's gonna sell out

~E

traalfaz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages traalfaz
cyraxote wrote:The 3100 does not do autobracketing, which is one reason I chose the Canon over it.

Shoot RAW and you don't really need bracketing.

hanscarlet

Does anyone know if you buy this camera at other retailers that it comes with this lens kit that woot is offering?

~E

hanscarlet

oh my goodness!!! I did it! I bought the camera! I am scared because my hubby is going to kill me but I did it! Yay!!! I am excited!

~E

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
hanscarlet wrote:Oh My Gookie!!!! I did it! I bought the camera! I am scared because my hubby is going to kill me but I did it! Yay!!! I am excited!

We can't wait to see the cool pictures you'll be taking!

I'm just hanging out, really.

daveharcourt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages daveharcourt

Great camera but not sure about the price. I have been watching them on Amazon for months and they seem to sell at this price all the time. Also the cameras on Amazon have a larger focal range on the lens. Up to 75mm.

chezteladog

quality posts: 4 Private Messages chezteladog
ThunderThighs wrote:I'm seeing $649 at Fry's:

http://www.frys.com/product/6547673;jsessionid=YKq6QwuZ7BjqNVnZym8U3w__.node2

You're right Thunderthighs. My apologies. I read through the email I received about the $599.99 T3i and inferred it was at Fry's based on other content in the email. The deal was actually Woot's.

bobkoz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bobkoz
JuiceMaster wrote:Sad to say people but 599 isn't a deal on this camera. You can find it for that price at many other places... I could be wrong but I'd swear I saw this same camera on here a few weeks ago for 399.

[MOD: That was the T3. This is the T3i.]

I actually just purchased this camera on Buy.com for $599 but that price included some extra accessories, including another lense.

hanscarlet

inkycatz wrote:We can't wait to see the cool pictures you'll be taking!

Thanks! I am excited! Gosh the sales tax wasn't fun, darn government :P

But I think with the lens kit and the $5 shipping this is a great deal. I have a 4 year old and a 1.3 year old and I want to get the beautiful photos of them when they are young before time moves too fast... they also happen to be gorgeous kids so they'll serve as great models

~E

charliecarroll

daveharcourt wrote:Great camera but not sure about the price. I have been watching them on Amazon for months and they seem to sell at this price all the time. Also the cameras on Amazon have a larger focal range on the lens. Up to 75mm.

Go back and take a look at one you find with a zoom up to 75mm and at the same price. Bet you are going to find that yes, it is the same camera body but no, it is not a canon lens. I can't be sure as I have not seen the ad you are talking about but I can tell you for years a favorite ploy of some camera dealers is to use an off brand lens in "their" kit and then point out how much less their offer is with this "better"(?) lens. Another ploy is to offer the same camera but through the "grey" market which in that case you do not get the manufacturer's USA warranty. If any at all it is backed by the seller and the only option you have for warranty service is sending it back to them. Of course who they use to work on your camera is any one's guess but it is not the same people that built your camera.

monkeyfox

quality posts: 0 Private Messages monkeyfox

As some have suspiciously mentioned, this really isn't such an amazing deal.

Same camera/lens kit new plus a bunch of crap accessories you dont want for $570 with free shipping: http://www.fumfie.com/product/ID541C5/
Or just the camera kit:
http://www.daxmart.com/Canon-EOS-Rebel-T3i-with-Canon-EF-S-18-55-IS-Lens/p-264
$580:
http://www.rythercamera.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=32309
$560:
http://www.primotronix.com/tron/product_info.php?csv=gp&products_id=20183

Like others have said, not really an impressive price.

cfox612

quality posts: 4 Private Messages cfox612

Purchased this camera from Best Buy around Christmas. Got a bundle for $899 (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Canon+EOS+Rebel+T3i+18.0MP+DSLR+Camera%2C+Bag%2C+16GB+Memory+Card+%26+55-250mm+Lens/9999189300050004.p;jsessionid=0D7EDDAAD281AC99C6F0546515864C9A.bbolsp-app02-26?id=pcmprd188700050004&skuId=9999189300050004&st=canon%20t3i%20rebel%20bundle&lp=3&cp=1) that included another lens (which is perfect for high speed action shots).

We LOVE the camera! There is a little learning curve (if you're not a pro photographer) to get the perfect pictures, but there are many video tutorials online which really help. We love the bigger lens, which really does take amazing pictures, but this offer doesn't seem to include it.

Not a bad price for the camera itself, looks like the Canon - 55-250mm f/4-5.6 Telephoto Zoom Lens would run anywhere from $175 - $250 (still should be a bit less than the bundle packages).

dragonboy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dragonboy

I've been shooting with an EOS Elan II for over a decade and am comfortable with Canon, but recently looking at moving to DSLR. I'm mostly trying to decide between the T3i and 7D. I've been leaning towards the 7D primarily because of its 8fps burst and weatherized chassis which would be ideal for a lot of the photography I do, but it is also triple the cost. I saw the prices dropping lately on both though and am itching to buy.

Right now Amazon has the T3i body only for $549, and with this lens for $643. The Amazon deal includes free shipping, a free $19 memory card, 2% back in credit, $2 in MP3 credit, and $150 off a $200 Canon EF-S 55-250mm lens. If you count things like the credit and lens discount, then Amazon is a better deal, otherwise Woot beats that by around $40 not including the memory card you'll have to buy if you don't already have at least one.

charliecarroll

monkeyfox wrote:As some have suspiciously mentioned, this really isn't such an amazing deal.

Same camera/lens kit new plus a bunch of crap accessories you dont want for $570 with free shipping: http://www.fumfie.com/product/ID541C5/
Or just the camera kit:
http://www.daxmart.com/Canon-EOS-Rebel-T3i-with-Canon-EF-S-18-55-IS-Lens/p-264
$580:
http://www.rythercamera.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=32309
$560:
http://www.primotronix.com/tron/product_info.php?csv=gp&products_id=20183

Like others have said, not really an impressive price.

Doing some research on the companies tied to your links It has taken some time to get through to two of them and also I checked out one a little further after talking to then. I did not go further because what I was finding fit the patterns I have seen by some camera retailers over the past 30 years.
Your first link goes to Fumfie.com. I talked with them on the phone and they stated this was indeed a made for sale in the USA Canon camera. Only thing weird (and raised my eyebrows) is that they also show the non-USA 600D designation for the camera. And then there is this other little thing I found on the web about them. Good article that includes not only some valid points but pictures to go along with it,

http://thoughts-of-dave.blogspot.com/2009/05/fumfiecom-is-fumfie-legitimate-or-bait.html

Your second link goes to, Dexmart (also know as Seaview) and my call to them got the absolute, yes we are authorized Canon dealers and yes this is a full canon USA warranty. Then I found a very disturbing on line review that states,

"NO WARRANTY - Daxmart aka Seaview is NOT an authorized Canon dealer. This means you get ZERO WARRANTY. The best part is when you call Daxmart they will LIE TO YOU and say you get a warranty. Just call Canon and they will confirm that you have no warranty since neither Daxmart nor Seaview are authorized dealers. On top of this, Daxmart will send you a fake warranty card. Again, if you just call Canon they will explain what a real warranty card looks like... but again it doesn't matter since Daxmart is not an authorized dealer of Canon products - this means NO WARRANTY. Simply google "Canon authorized dealer" and the look at the first result (pdf file) from the Canon site... Lots of authorized dealers - BUT NO DAXMART. ...NO SEAVIEW CAMERA."

Well, with two out of four showing very highly suspicious results and because of lack of time I stopped there.

It is always best to deal with a KNOWN reputable dealer. The lessons learned from not doing so are always very expensive. Now I am not saying you absolutely can not find a better price than the one here on woot today but it is the best I could when I compared it to what I know to be highly ethical outlets that also specialize in great pricing. In the end, this is a good deal and if you see one better, I would do some checking on the company through reviews etc., before I let my cash out of my hand.

videogrinch

quality posts: 4 Private Messages videogrinch

I have the T3i as well. Don't know why Canon decided to put a T3 out there too. Just confuses people. Anyway, AWESOME camera. Better audio control, flip-out LCD are the only two thing I can think of that are better than on the T2i. The latest T4i did add auto focus for video, I don't know how well it works. I think the Nikon D3100 also has autofocus video. To shoot good video with the T3i is easy. To shoot GREAT video with this camera, you will need to buy some additions....viewfinder, XLR audio adapter, some way to focus while changing the focal distance. You won't be Spielberg just by buying this camera. But it's a great place to start. Here are a couple of videos I shot when I first got the camera. Mostly automatic settings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qgDLtJpDV0&list=UU2dhwIknpP0Bbv1Htr5tWRA&index=1&feature=plcp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TakUhYAYFGM&list=UU2dhwIknpP0Bbv1Htr5tWRA&index=3&feature=plcp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ_likN5dXU&list=UU2dhwIknpP0Bbv1Htr5tWRA&index=2&feature=plcp

Great camera!

viperbri68

quality posts: 0 Private Messages viperbri68

What is your opinion on this bundle?
http://www.buy.com/prod/canon-eos-rebel-t3i-3-lens-bundle-includes-18-55mm-2x-telephoto-and/224535482.html

All that's missing is an extra battery.

charliecarroll

One thing all new buyers will find and need to know so they won't get 'buyers remorse' in a few months to a year. Technology as you know is moving at lightning speed. Just like computers and other electronic gadgets, today's cutting edge is tomorrow's has been. Cameras are no different. So, what you buy today, will sooner than you would wish be replaced with a newer model and when that happens you will see the toy you paid for today going for less than you paid as dealers are trying to get them off the shelf to make room for the new toy. It is not a question of if but when. It is going to happen so know that and don't look back at today's purchase as a mistake. Or even tomorrow's. I have twice the memory in my point and shoot camera than my first computer had period. And between that dinosaur and the dot matrix printer, I had over 3K in it. Was it a bad buy? Not at the time. That was then, this is now. This is just not going to change anytime soon. I purchased my wife a Rebel TXi some back and it just is not up to what the camera here has. However, it is still a great little SLR and I do not have buyers remorse of an urge to sell it. At the time I got a good buy on it and it still produces great images. That is good enough for me.

monkeyfox

quality posts: 0 Private Messages monkeyfox
charliecarroll wrote:It is always best to deal with a KNOWN reputable dealer. The lessons learned from not doing so are always very expensive. Now I am not saying you absolutely can not find a better price than the one here on woot today but it is the best I could when I compared it to what I know to be highly ethical outlets that also specialize in great pricing. In the end, this is a good deal and if you see one better, I would do some checking on the company thought reviews etc., before I let my cash out of my hand.

All fair points and I'll ask you forgive my transgressions as I was just pointing out how there are better deals out there - obviously before letting half a grand fly out of your wallet I'd agree that you should research the vendor.

HOWEVER, I will add in my experience that Canon's defacto stance is to honor warranties if you can provide a BoS with the date. As you pointed out though, it'd still have to be the US model.

sallythetimid

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sallythetimid

I just bought one of these on another site with the kit 18-55 mm lens (which, by the way, given the focal length multiplication by the small sensor size, corresponds to just-shy of 29mm as the wide angle for 35mm equivalence purposes), the 55-250 mm IS lens, and the 50mm non-zoom-but-high-aperture lens that's going for around $100 most places.

It's a great camera. I decided to buy it after renting-to-try-out this camera and the Nikon D5100. They both would've been fine, but I like the Canon's control layout and the fact that most settings are only one button push to pull up a menu to change, whereas the Nikon requires a few menu changes to change the same setting.

I bought the camera in preparation for my trip to Yosemite. So far I've ONLY used the standard 18-55 mm lens, though I really wished that I'd spent the money on a wide angle lens rather than the 2 I did buy. Carried the other 2 up and down the mountains for my health, I guess!

charliecarroll

hanscarlet wrote:oh my goodness!!! I did it! I bought the camera! I am scared because my hubby is going to kill me but I did it! Yay!!! I am excited!

Check your PM's

sbstephanie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sbstephanie
JackProton wrote:You probably saw the Canon T3...Though the Amazon price includes $150 off the Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS lens and a free memory card which could be a better deal for some.

Plus Amazon has free shipping and 0% financing with their card, so better deal for me...might see if price gets any lower on amazon, also you can add bag as well without paying shipping which is a factor for me...

charliecarroll

monkeyfox wrote:All fair points and I'll ask you forgive my transgressions as I was just pointing out how there are better deals out there - obviously before letting half a grand fly out of your wallet I'd agree that you should research the vendor. HOWEVER, I will add in my experience that Canon's defacto stance is to honor warranties if you can provide a BoS with the date. As you pointed out though, it'd still have to be the US model.

That may be true if you can show a bill of sale and also an authentic USA 'Canon' warranty card. But, if it is 'grey market' and not USA, you are not going to get warranty service through Canon USA. However, if you want to go through the time and effort to send it back to Canon in Japan, I am sure they would honor their warranty there. Also, btw, although I do not own and do not expect to own any grey market equipment, that is not to say that it is an absolute bad thing. The big thing is, that you know up front what you are getting. If you get a huge, and I mean huge savings and you recognize warranty is going to expire in time and you are willing to bet on not requiring that service during the warranty time, you can save some bucks. It is a gamble and one I am sure many have won at. But as you have pointed out, at half a grand or even more, I don't want to take that gamble.

ILGal

quality posts: 30 Private Messages ILGal

Just tossing another 2 cents into the Canon vs. Nikon debate. When I began shopping for my first DSLR a few years back, I went to a camera store and handled the two models I was considering. The Nikon just did not fit my hands as nicely as the Canon did. My boyfriend, whose hands are a little bigger, had no trouble handling either, BUT, the camera store clerk suggested that we both buy Canons (my preference) so we could exchange lenses. That proved to be valuable advice as we have done just that over time.

So....if there is another Canon DSLR in the family already, you might consider sticking with the brand.

And...if you are on the fence about brands, visit a camera retailer and handle both.

Happy shopping! Love my T3i!!