jfe

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jfe

The old saying about things being too good to be true

Is this the case?

http://www.digitaldepotonline.com/products.asp?dept_id=&product_id=3245

Body only for $389?

vanksterj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vanksterj
wootsrus wrote:Amazon has Canon EOS Digital Rebel T4i 18MP SLR Camera w/ 18-55mm Lens + 55-250mm IS Lens + Canon PIXMA Pro 9000 Mark II Printer + + 2% Back in Rewards for $765.06 after $400 rebate. Shipping is free.

Interesting comparison of the T3i vs T4i at http://t3ivst4i.com/

Sorry if a duplicate of previous post, appears my original comment was "disappeared" ;-)

I did the cannon 3Ti + lens+ printer + card. for $1079.09 after taxes with free shipping. After the 400 AMEX rebate it is $679. + 2% credit and a $2 mp3 credit. #winning. This was by far the best quality post I have read here on Woot. A tip of my cap to you.

jfe

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jfe
vanksterj wrote:I did the cannon 3Ti + lens+ printer + card. for $1079.09 after taxes with free shipping. After the 400 AMEX rebate it is $679. + 2% credit and a $2 mp3 credit. #winning. This was by far the best quality post I have read here on Woot. A tip of my cap to you.

But that was a March deal, is there anything that is ongoing right now?

jmbunkin

quality posts: 28 Private Messages jmbunkin

So many wonderful camera deals lately and me with so little cash in my jeans.

Caravaglia

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Caravaglia
wootsrus wrote:Amazon has Canon EOS Digital Rebel T4i 18MP SLR Camera w/ 18-55mm Lens + 55-250mm IS Lens + Canon PIXMA Pro 9000 Mark II Printer + + 2% Back in Rewards for $765.06 after $400 rebate. Shipping is free.

I did something similar with the T3i last Christmas season. It was the T3i + 18/15mm, + 55-250, + 75-300, + Pixma Pro, + $400(?) rebate all for $900(? fuzzy on exact numbers). Sold the printer for around $300. Wound up with a REALLY good deal for a great DSLR.

hanscarlet

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hanscarlet
charliecarroll wrote:Check your PM's

You're the best! Thank you so much!

~E

gstarsf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gstarsf
vanksterj wrote:I did the cannon 3Ti + lens+ printer + card. for $1079.09 after taxes with free shipping. After the 400 AMEX rebate it is $679. + 2% credit and a $2 mp3 credit. #winning. This was by far the best quality post I have read here on Woot. A tip of my cap to you.

What is the link to this deal that you speak of!!!?!?!?!?!?!? I want this!

kr580

quality posts: 3 Private Messages kr580
jfe wrote:The old saying about things being too good to be true

Is this the case?

http://www.digitaldepotonline.com/products.asp?dept_id=&product_id=3245

Body only for $389?

Yes, steer clear. Stick with reputable sellers. If you Google that website, aside for the top result for the site itself, all the results have 'scam' somewhere in the description.

Ohhh no, there goes Tokyo. Go, go, Godzilla.

drewdown725

quality posts: 1 Private Messages drewdown725
hanscarlet wrote:Does anyone know if you buy this camera at other retailers that it comes with this lens kit that woot is offering?

This Lens kit is the most popular kit. But i have seen other Lens kits or Kits with no lens and other goodies. Depending on what you want to take pics of i would go with not lens and do some research and get a lens that fits your calling and needs. This is just a basic get out the door lens.

e46fanaticz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages e46fanaticz

That was the T3 for $399 not the T3i

mviamonte

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mviamonte

You'll save almost 50 $, good!

scrcmedic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scrcmedic

Crystal has the t4i for $100 more same lens. MUCH better camera!

Kenbowen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kenbowen

Bought the T3 and it arrived a week ago. At first I was a bit ticked when I saw the T3i deal this morning. But then I thought about mine being $200 less and all I plan to use it for are kids and vacations. This T3i is probably a better camera but I think the T3 will suit me just fine. Thanks woot!

xxooss

quality posts: 12 Private Messages xxooss

I have the EOS Rebel T3 and I love it. The main difference between the T3 and the T3i is that the T3 records video in 720p where as the T3i records video in 1080p. I don't use the camera for video as I use a video camera so if you are mainly going to take pictures then the T3 is a better buy. I got mine from Amazon as package deal with both the 55mm lens and the telephoto lens included. I paid 499.00. Current price for the same deal is 471.00.

The other difference is the megapixels. 12.2 compared to 18 might seem like a lot but its not. 12mp is still way more than the average person who takes pictures needs. You won't lose any image quality but you wont be able to make as large a print. Example is , and I am just making these numbers up, with the 12mp cam you might be able to blow it up to 4 feet x 4 ft and with the 18mp you might could go up to 6ft x 6ft. Since i will never make anything bigger than a 8x10 I went with the T3. Just my opinion and both are great cameras...just do a little home work and make sure you don't pay for something you wont use.

charliecarroll

quality posts: 105 Private Messages charliecarroll
ILGal wrote:Just tossing another 2 cents into the Canon vs. Nikon debate. When I began shopping for my first DSLR a few years back, I went to a camera store and handled the two models I was considering. The Nikon just did not fit my hands as nicely as the Canon did. My boyfriend, whose hands are a little bigger, had no trouble handling either, BUT, the camera store clerk suggested that we both buy Canons (my preference) so we could exchange lenses. That proved to be valuable advice as we have done just that over time.

So....if there is another Canon DSLR in the family already, you might consider sticking with the brand.

And...if you are on the fence about brands, visit a camera retailer and handle both.

Happy shopping! Love my T3i!!

I also prefer Canon to Nikon. However, for many years Nikon was the undisputed king of the hill. Then came auto focus and it was so bad (slow to focus) pros scoffed at them regardless if Canon or Nikon. In action shots, the object was out of the frame before the shutter would go off. Then things began to change. Nikon made fast improvements in speed of focus and also held the price of a lens down a little bit by having the focusing mechanics in the camera body. Canon took a different route with the mechanics in each lens. the cost a little more but were all faster than the Nikons. The pros started going with AF and many started moving to Canon. Then Canon introduced the USM line. Even faster and the newer Canon bodies became the quietest on the market as far as shutter noise. Super of wildlife and outdoor events such as golf where having a shutter go off and heard was an extreme no -no. Then Canon introduce image stabilization and stayed ahead of all others in that area. I am going to get bashed by a bunch of Nikon loyalist but Canon from the least expensive to the most expensive outdoes Nikon in head to head with similar models. Like I said I know I will have a bashing coming but not near the bashing I would have received 25 years ago because in the last 25 a bunch of people moved from Nikon to Canon. With all that said, neither company makes junk and you are getting your money's worth when you go with either brand.

micaelaanna

quality posts: 14 Private Messages micaelaanna

I am contemplating buying this camera... A lot of good reviews I see on here (and elsewhere). P.S. Woot has great customer service. Love Woot. They have never let me down. Woot Woot!

vanksterj

jfe wrote:But that was a March deal, is there anything that is ongoing right now?

That is going on right now and the AMEX rebate is good untill Dec. 2012.

vanksterj

gstarsf wrote:What is the link to this deal that you speak of!!!?!?!?!?!?!? I want this!

Amazon. They match the card and lens for you. You have to search for the printer.

charliecarroll

drewdown725 wrote:This Lens kit is the most popular kit. But i have seen other Lens kits or Kits with no lens and other goodies. Depending on what you want to take pics of i would go with not lens and do some research and get a lens that fits your calling and needs. This is just a basic get out the door lens.

I don't agree. When going to SLR what has been commonly called a 'normal lens' is in the 50mm size. That is as much like what your own eye sees as a lens gets. Thus the handle, 'normal lens'. With the offered lens in this kit you have that and you also have a pretty darn good wide angle. If you start out with a longer focal length, for example 35mm -110mm you are going to have some wide angle, normal and zoomed all the way out, a fairly nice portrait lens. But you are going to pick up some weight and size at the same time. You also won't have much at all in the way of telephoto. I think a much better option is to take what is here in a kit because buying together saves you some rea bucks, you have a good little normal lens with some wide angle also and, in the future when you get some more cash in your hand, buy a second lens to vastly expand what you have already. For example, a 75-200mm or even 75 or 100 to 300mm or better put, some real telephoto. You can really reach out there then but when you decide to go back to day in day out shooting like family gatherings etc., you are back to the much easier to handle and manage camera-lens combo. I have over 12 lens for all kinds of different shooting senerios. Depending on what I am going to be shooting I will decide which ones I will be taking with me. But, no matter which one or ones I select, I never leave without my normal lens. Never.

gstarsf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gstarsf
vanksterj wrote:Amazon. They match the card and lens for you. You have to search for the printer.

cool found it! thanks! now that's a great deal.

funny, the 55-250 lens went up by $10 today and the camera+kit went up by $13 today.

Aalega

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Aalega
gstarsf wrote:cool found it! thanks! now that's a great deal.

funny, the 55-250 lens went up by $10 today and the camera+kit went up by $13 today.

link please? I'm having trouble finding it!

Figit090

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Figit090
craigthom wrote:A lot of people are mentioning deals including the EF-S 55-250mm lens.

If you want a longer zoom lens and are dead set against spending any more money, then I guess it's a good deal, but it is a cheap lens. I got one nine months ago on impulse nine months ago because of a similar rebate, but I hardly ever use it.

It's more cheaply made than the kit lens. It has a plastic mount, and they didn't even spring for the little red alignment bump for mounting it to the camera; it has a printed white square.

The focus is a little soft and there's chromatic aberration on the edges. You probably won't notice these things unless you make big prints or crop the pictures down, but they are there.

On the plus side it is inexpensive, light, and small.

Please read this quote from a website titled "Canon EOS Beginners FAQ":

"Can my camera take EF-S lenses?

Any Canon EOS camera with a red dot on the lens mount can take EF lenses. Any Canon EOS camera with both a red dot and a white square on the lens mount can take both EF lenses and EF-S lenses."

It is not a 'skimp', while this is a cheaper lens it is also an EF-S lens, that only works on crop-frame sensors, hence the omission of the red 'EF' dot. This will only fit on canons with the white square.

As far as chromatic aberration, Photoshop/lightroom easily remedy this and many lenses have it, even some pro lenses.

It is a cheap lens, but this also isn't a professional camera body and both together are a great stepping stone. Until you're working with f/2.8 zoom lenses, I'd appreciate the light weight of an inexpensive lens when going out to shoot. You're not going to improve much on image quality without spending a lot of cash (more than this whole kit, for those who don't know) for a lens with better depth of field, faster focusing, or perhaps just more reach if you want a do-all lens (18-200mm).

Sorry I now see that someone mentioned the lack of a red dot is not a skimp but a compatibility notation. either way, there's some other info that wasn't mentioned.

roussie

quality posts: 2 Private Messages roussie

Only made it to page two of the comments so hopefully this helps.

I had the older model of this camera the rebel t3 with this same lens and it was a great entry level camera.

I recently upgraded to the 60D with a better (image stabilized) lens and the difference is remarkable.

Basically what I'm getting at is for an entry level camera this is solid but I would recommend grabbing an image stabilized ("IS") lens if you have an extra ~$400 to spend. It's very much worth it.

charliecarroll

hanscarlet wrote:You're the best! Thank you so much!

You are very welcome.

robin731

quality posts: 6 Private Messages robin731
roussie wrote:Basically what I'm getting at is for an entry level camera this is solid but I would recommend grabbing an image stabilized ("IS") lens if you have an extra ~$400 to spend. It's very much worth it.

This bundle does have an image stabilized lens.

And yes, in some circumstances image stabilization is very helpful. It becomes more valuable with longer focal-length lenses, but in dim light you will be glad to have it even on the 18-55mm lens in this kit. I recently took a photo of the moon setting over the ocean with a slightly faster lens than this kit lens, and even with the lens wide open at f3.1 the shutter speed was still 1/20 second. I happened to have my tripod with me so IS didn't matter, but if I hadn't had it then I definitely would have needed IS to get a clean shot.

terminatorgir

quality posts: 9 Private Messages terminatorgir
charliecarroll wrote:One thing all new buyers will find and need to know so they won't get 'buyers remorse' in a few months to a year. Technology as you know is moving at lightning speed. Just like computers and other electronic gadgets, today's cutting edge is tomorrow's has been. Cameras are no different. So, what you buy today, will sooner than you would wish be replaced with a newer model and when that happens you will see the toy you paid for today going for less than you paid as dealers are trying to get them off the shelf to make room for the new toy.

However you can rest a little easier knowing that they just released the 'new toy' aka t4i a month or two ago and the only real difference is autofocus while shooting video. Cameras don't change quite as rapidly as computers. I'm really just trying to point out that you don't have to worry about them releasing a newer model right after you buy this because it already happened a month ago.

gargin

quality posts: 4 Private Messages gargin

I use this camera as my PRIMARY video camera at wedding shoots. Here is my most recent wedding video shot with this t3i. Not this particular lens, but the t3i none-the-less.

https://vimeo.com/50413982

HANG

quality posts: 1 Private Messages HANG
sbstephanie wrote:Plus Amazon has free shipping and 0% fina

with their card, so better deal for me...might see if price gets any lower on amazon, also you can add bag as well without paying shipping which is a factor for me...

Just pulled the trigger on the Amazon deal..

Also if u purchase any Canon pro 9000 printer for 325 with cannon camera u get 400 REBATE.

craigthom

quality posts: 64 Private Messages craigthom
traalfaz wrote:Shoot RAW and you don't really need bracketing.

That's not true. Exposure is a physical thing determined by aperture and shutter speed. It's not processing applied after the image hits the sensor.

Over- or under-exposure can be compensated for but can't eliminated.

craigthom

monkeyfox wrote:As some have suspiciously mentioned, this really isn't such an amazing deal.

Same camera/lens kit new plus a bunch of crap accessories you dont want for $570 with free shipping: http://www.fumfie.com/product/ID541C5/
Or just the camera kit:
http://www.daxmart.com/Canon-EOS-Rebel-T3i-with-Canon-EF-S-18-55-IS-Lens/p-264
$580:
http://www.rythercamera.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=32309
$560:
http://www.primotronix.com/tron/product_info.php?csv=gp&products_id=20183

Like others have said, not really an impressive price.

Try Googling up some customer complaints with the retailers you've listed.

If you are going to compare prices you really need to stick with reputable dealers. Anyone can put up a Web site with too-good-to-be-true prices.

craigthom

dragonboy wrote:I've been shooting with an EOS Elan II for over a decade and am comfortable with Canon, but recently looking at moving to DSLR. I'm mostly trying to decide between the T3i and 7D. I've been leaning towards the 7D primarily because of its 8fps burst and weatherized chassis which would be ideal for a lot of the photography I do, but it is also triple the cost. I saw the prices dropping lately on both though and am itching to buy.

Right now Amazon has the T3i body only for $549, and with this lens for $643. The Amazon deal includes free shipping, a free $19 memory card, 2% back in credit, $2 in MP3 credit, and $150 off a $200 Canon EF-S 55-250mm lens. If you count things like the credit and lens discount, then Amazon is a better deal, otherwise Woot beats that by around $40 not including the memory card you'll have to buy if you don't already have at least one.

The 7D is a lot of camera. It's got features that I haven't even touched, and I've had one since nine months.

The 7D uses CompactFlash cards, not SD ones, so you'll be spending a lot more on storage. The good news is that CompactFlash is faster than even class 10 SD cards. The bad news is that you'll need to get expensive ones if you want to used that 8 fps burst for more than about a second and a half. Once the buffer fills you'll be limited by how fast the images can be written to the card.

The sensor is the same on both cameras, so the 7D won't give you better quality images, all other things being equal.

It does have a lot more autofocus points and many ways to use them (all at once, one at a time, or in groups). I believe it has more options for automatic exposure.

The 7D does not have the portrait/sports/landscape modes on the dial. Canon assumes that if you are buying the camera you know how to adjust for those applications.

It is bigger and heavier and sturdier.

Have you looked at the 60D? It's priced right in the middle and has a lot of flexibility compared to this one.

Edit: oh, and I think the batteries are cheaper for this one, too, although I've had good luck with the relatively inexpensive Wasabi batteries in my 7D.

I have an Elan 7e, and I've been using those lenses with my 7D. I've also had good luck with my ancient 420EX flash, although I haven't used it all that much.

I really really miss the ability to select the focus point by looking at it, but I think the Elan 7e was the only camera Canon ever put it in, and they've apparently abandoned the concept. I thought it was a gimmick when I bought the camera, but I grew dependent on it.

charliecarroll

craigthom wrote: I think the Elan 7e was the only camera Canon ever put it in, and they've apparently abandoned the concept. I thought it was a gimmick when I bought the camera, but I grew dependent on it.

Canon introduced the eye focus with the A2E and soon followed it with the less expensive Elan. I had the A2E and I gave an Elan to my daughter who still uses it today.

jcrig71

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jcrig71

FYI Fedex track by reference says mine will be delivered on 10/19 to Colorado. Can't wait to start shooting!

gt5772b

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gt5772b

Just received mine. It appears that mine is not brand new as advertised. I'm interested to hear what other people get, but several pieces of the contents were already opened and there was no tag on the body of the camera like there is on this unboxing on youtube linked below.

This *really* makes me angry because I have had this problem with Woot before - advertising that something is new but then sending a refurb or something that is obviously not new.

Please let me know what you get in the mail.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTOo-vMykis

edit: Ok, another unboxing shows no tag on the body, but still doesn't explain why some of the packaging was already open - the charger even has a knife mark through it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hoo0-08vktA

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 177 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

gt5772b wrote:Just received mine. It appears that mine is not brand new as advertised. I'm interested to hear what other people get, but several pieces of the contents were already opened and there was no tag on the body of the camera like there is on this unboxing on youtube linked below.

This *really* makes me angry because I have had this problem with Woot before - advertising that something is new but then sending a refurb or something that is obviously not new.

edit: Ok, another unboxing shows no tag on the body, but still doesn't explain why some of the packaging was already open - the charger even has a knife mark through it.

We're sorry to hear that you received your order in what sounds to be a "refurbished" condition. We recommend that you contact U.S.A Canon Support to see if they can assist you with resolving the issue.

If Canon is unable to help, please also feel free to email us at service@woot.com and we'll be glad to answer any questions or concerns you may have regarding your order.

Sincerely,
Woot Staff

bobthenormal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bobthenormal

I just want to add myself to the previous poster that noticed his "new" camera was actually opened before. I will contact Canon about this, however I think woot should also look into this since it is not just one person.

Someone please do tell me we did not just pay $20 extra for this:

http://www.electronics-expo.com/open-box-like-new-canon-eos-rebel-t3i-18-mp-cmos-digital-slr-camera-and-digic-4-imaging-with-ef-s-18-55mm-f-3-5-5-6-is-lens

EDIT: By the way, there is no doubt mine was opened before. The first give away was that the manuals were not sealed, one end was cut open. But the real proof is that just now I went to look at the documentation and found that someone tore part of the registration card OFF, and not cleanly either! I'm guessing someone bought this camera, wrote something on the "Remarks" section (the bottom of that section is torn off), then returned it, and someone simply put everything back in the box, tore off the "remarks" and returned it to the "new" section or sold it to Woot! Or worse, it was returned due to a problem and refurbed! Either way, VERY not cool to sell these as "new"!

gt5772b wrote:Just received mine. It appears that mine is not brand new as advertised. I'm interested to hear what other people get, but several pieces of the contents were already opened and there was no tag on the body of the camera like there is on this unboxing on youtube linked below.

gt5772b

bobthenormal wrote:I just want to add myself to the previous poster that noticed his "new" camera was actually opened before. I will contact Canon about this, however I think woot should also look into this since it is not just one person.

Someone please do tell me we did not just pay $20 extra for this:

http://www.electronics-expo.com/open-box-like-new-canon-eos-rebel-t3i-18-mp-cmos-digital-slr-camera-and-digic-4-imaging-with-ef-s-18-55mm-f-3-5-5-6-is-lens

EDIT: By the way, there is no doubt mine was opened before. The first give away was that the manuals were not sealed, one end was cut open. But the real proof is that just now I went to look at the documentation and found that someone tore part of the registration card OFF, and not cleanly either! I'm guessing someone bought this camera, wrote something on the "Remarks" section (the bottom of that section is torn off), then returned it, and someone simply put everything back in the box, tore off the "remarks" and returned it to the "new" section or sold it to Woot! Or worse, it was returned due to a problem and refurbed! Either way, VERY not cool to sell these as "new"!

Exactly what mine was like. Ripped registration, opened manuals, other pieces obviously open as well. Woot's response of asking us to contact Canon is not a resolution. Woot must take responsibility for advertising these as 'New.' Canon did not advertise these as 'new,' Woot did. Woot would be labeled as the defendant in any lawsuit to come as a result of false advertising.

gt5772b

ROGETRAY wrote:We're sorry to hear that you received your order in what sounds to be a "refurbished" condition. We recommend that you contact U.S.A Canon Support to see if they can assist you with resolving the issue.

If Canon is unable to help, please also feel free to email us at service@woot.com and we'll be glad to answer any questions or concerns you may have regarding your order.

Sincerely,
Woot Staff

I will not be contacting Canon. This is a Woot.com issue, not a Canon issue. If you feel this is a Canon issue, that's between Woot.com and Canon. You will be getting an e-mail from me shortly.

bobthenormal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bobthenormal

I certainly agree Woot should deal with it. So don't think what I'm going to say is an argument for why Woot should not deal with it, but rather just to understand how something like this happens without someone "evil" purposely mislabeling the sale.

From what I understand, Woot is often a middle-man for sales. A company comes to them and says "Hey we'd like to clear out some stock at a discount." and Woot arranges to present it to their buyers. On the back end, I imagine Woot does not then go and inspect all the merchandise thoroughly - they promise whatever the seller promised.

Sounds like in this case two companies I hold in high regard, Woot and Canon, have something to work out. And in the mean time, I get a used camera. =/

As the seller (to me), Woot should deal with me (us), I think. But as the provider of the products, Canon (or whatever other company might be involved) shouldn't have lied to or misled Woot about the condition of the goods. I am giving Woot the benefit of the doubt there and assuming that's what happened.

That's my take on it - I'll send Woot an e-mail about it during the week if I haven't heard anything back through this thread or PM. So please do let me know either here or through PM what happens!

gt5772b wrote:I will not be contacting Canon. This is a Woot.com issue, not a Canon issue. If you feel this is a Canon issue, that's between Woot.com and Canon. You will be getting an e-mail from me shortly.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 619 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

If ever you feel like you didn't get the product advertised, please email service@woot.com for assistance. Sorry for the problems with the cameras.

One thing to note is that sometimes a company will open new product boxes to remove something such as a warranty registration if a different warranty is given. Not saying that's necessarily the case here, but it is something to be aware of.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items