jet314

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jet314

I received my T3i in a timely manner by FedEx on the 17th.

I also have a poorly torn off Black/White Limited Warranty Card with the body serial number starting with a 2.

There was a second ORANGE Limited Warranty Card (not torn) that has another Serial number on it starting with a 9 which is for the lens.

I went ahead and registered it online as I do for most things. There was no problem. The rest of the package appeared to be new and unused. All cables, camera, and lens body was correctly packaged and nothing has any marks on it. The Manuals were included plus 3 extra smaller ones to do special things. I have not reviewed them as yet.

I've used the T3i a few times and am impressed as well as challenged. It's got a ton of things to learn and I hope to try most of them. Turning off the required flash is my first project !! There's a setting somewhere.

No doubt this is the nicest camera I've ever had. I'm already looking at the plethora of accessories that are available.

bobthenormal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bobthenormal

@jet314
Interesting that you had the same warranty card thing but you did not have or notice that the bags already opened for everything? Especially the big manuals, were they sealed? Thanks for sharing.

jet314 wrote:[...]Turning off the required flash is my first project !! There's a setting somewhere.

If you're in automatic mode, click one mode further clockwise, still automatic but disables the flash.

If you are in a manual mode, there is a button with the lightning symbol on the left side of the camera that toggles flash modes.

jet314

bobthenormal wrote:@jet314
Interesting that you had the same warranty card thing but you did not have or notice that the bags already opened for everything? Especially the big manuals, were they sealed? Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Bob for both comments.

The manuals were in plastic, Now, if my memory serves me correctly, the warranty cards were lying freely in the box on top of the entire pack. The manuals were in plastic and as I was moving things around at the beginning it SEEMED that they were sealed in place. Later as I was exploring everything I picked them up and it appeared that one end MAY have been opened OR not sealed completely. I didn't pay much mind to it until now. It is possible that those were taken out and the one torn off, then replaced. But as I said everything else looked completely undisturbed. I wonder what's going on here. I've been a Canon user for over 35 years since the TLb came out in 1975. Doesn't seem probable they would try to fudge something. But who knows in today's world...

Thanks again for the flash help... Much appreciated.

If you're in automatic mode, click one mode further clockwise, still automatic but disables the flash.

If you are in a manual mode, there is a button with the lightning symbol on the left side of the camera that toggles flash modes.

jet314

jet314 wrote:

Well I had a comment here, but something went phooey..now to retype...

The manuals were in their plastic. I had set them aside as I was taking all the goodies out. The warranty cards were lying loose inside on top as you opened the second lid to the box. That's when I noticed the tear off. Everything else was tightly sealed and untouched. I then picked up the manuals and noticed an open section, if my memory serves me correctly. Now, it MAY not have been sealed all the way. I didn't pay much mind to it until just now. I'm wondering what's going on here. Canon has a stellar reputation. Since the TLb days of 1975, over 35 years I've been using their cameras. But I guess something is a miss here somewhere.

Thanks for the flash help...very much apppreciated.

gt5772b

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gt5772b
bobthenormal wrote:I certainly agree Woot should deal with it. So don't think what I'm going to say is an argument for why Woot should not deal with it, but rather just to understand how something like this happens without someone "evil" purposely mislabeling the sale.

From what I understand, Woot is often a middle-man for sales. A company comes to them and says "Hey we'd like to clear out some stock at a discount." and Woot arranges to present it to their buyers. On the back end, I imagine Woot does not then go and inspect all the merchandise thoroughly - they promise whatever the seller promised.

Sounds like in this case two companies I hold in high regard, Woot and Canon, have something to work out. And in the mean time, I get a used camera. =/

As the seller (to me), Woot should deal with me (us), I think. But as the provider of the products, Canon (or whatever other company might be involved) shouldn't have lied to or misled Woot about the condition of the goods. I am giving Woot the benefit of the doubt there and assuming that's what happened.

That's my take on it - I'll send Woot an e-mail about it during the week if I haven't heard anything back through this thread or PM. So please do let me know either here or through PM what happens!

I agree that there may not be anything sinister going on here, but, as you allude, my contract is with Woot and it's their responsibility to make sure their suppliers (whoever they are) are filling their orders as promised to the customer. If I don't hold woot responsible, they'll never hold their suppliers responsible. If woot experiences a bit of financial pain by eating the return shipping charges enough times, we'll get what was advertised because woot will do a better job of checking on their suppliers.

However, this is not my first experience with this scenario, which tells me there is at least a systemic issue and at most an intentional business reason. But, at any rate, woot corrected the problem for me and I have continued buying stuff from them.

gt5772b

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gt5772b

So, to follow up, Woot is taking care of my issue in a manner that I am happy with so far. They may not always get it right on the order but at least they take care of my issue afterward. Think I'll stick with items that either I know are not new or that I just don't care if they are new or not

jet314

So it appears only about 3 of us have issues here? This must have been a very isolated incident or no one cares about it. Not sure which. I've been using the camera without any difficulty and not sure what else would be next, other than some form of refund from Woot or Canon. If an email will help, I'll do so.

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 175 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

jet314 wrote:So it appears only about 3 of us have issues here? This must have been a very isolated incident or no one cares about it. Not sure which. I've been using the camera without any difficulty and not sure what else would be next, other than some form of refund from Woot or Canon. If an email will help, I'll do so.

We're sorry to hear that your purchase is experiencing issues.
We recommend that you use the Support tab at the top of the Woot Main Page and send us a message so we can help you resolve the issue.

You're also welcome to email us at service@woot.com and we'll be glad to answer any questions or concerns you may have.

Sincerely,
Woot Staff

bobthenormal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bobthenormal
gt5772b wrote:So, to follow up, Woot is taking care of my issue in a manner that I am happy with so far. They may not always get it right on the order but at least they take care of my issue afterward. Think I'll stick with items that either I know are not new or that I just don't care if they are new or not

Same. I'm waiting on a reply back to my latest e-mail but I think they're busy with post-Woot-Off frenzy, so I'll give them some time. They did tell me they did not have any replacement stock available, then put some up during the Woot-Off! But I assume stock is "reserved" that close to a Woot-Off, and I don't think I want to take my chances that another one is an open-box anyhow.

Still, I think the options they offered me are fair, I am still satisified with Woot - so, bought more stuff during the Woot-Off.