imtigger2

quality posts: 4 Private Messages imtigger2

Yes.. You CAN save to the iPhone or Andriod device!! I contacted tech support and they replied to my question regarding saving my drawings to another device, and here is their response....

"Thank you for contacting...... Take these steps to save your tablet drawings to your iOS device. This currently works only with the iPhone 5 or 4S:
1. Before pressing the erase button, lay your tablet on a well lit, flat surface.
2. Start the iOS App called "Camera"
3. When the app starts, hold your device above the Boogie Board LCD Tablet so you can see the tablet on your screen.
4. Tap the small camera icon at the bottom of the screen
5. You can now safely push the erase button on your Tablet as your written notes or drawings have now been saved to your Camera Roll!

We hope you enjoy this solution and we look forward to enhancing the Tablet-Catching app solution with future updates allowing you to post to Twitter and Facebook. .... Thank you for contacting...."

I'm telling you guys, I've tested this over and over, and it works! It amazing. I gave the App 5 stars!

brucedoesbms

quality posts: 158 Private Messages brucedoesbms
imtigger2 wrote:Yes.. You CAN save to the iPhone or Andriod device!! I contacted tech support and they replied to my question regarding saving my drawings to another device, and here is their response....

"Thank you for contacting...... Take these steps to save your tablet drawings to your iOS device. This currently works only with the iPhone 5 or 4S:
1. Before pressing the erase button, lay your tablet on a well lit, flat surface.
2. Start the iOS App called "Camera"
3. When the app starts, hold your device above the Boogie Board LCD Tablet so you can see the tablet on your screen.
4. Tap the small camera icon at the bottom of the screen
5. You can now safely push the erase button on your Tablet as your written notes or drawings have now been saved to your Camera Roll!

We hope you enjoy this solution and we look forward to enhancing the Tablet-Catching app solution with future updates allowing you to post to Twitter and Facebook. .... Thank you for contacting...."

I'm telling you guys, I've tested this over and over, and it works! It amazing. I gave the App 5 stars!

Art becomes irrelevant when technology predisposes the various media which allows art to be art... i.e. create your peace with this piece and paste it on The Wall... then leave it at that... .

“Giving a camera to Diane Arbus is like putting a live grenade in the hands of a child.” --Norman Mailer
woot!ism of Assurance: "There is [WAS] no finer market than the one you create for something nobody wants, yet everyone buys... "

hurkle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hurkle

Had one of these when it first came out. My daughter (in grade school at the time) loved it and used it - yep - like a dry erase board.

Other kids apparently loved it too; stolen the second time she took it to school.

She loves to doodle and draw, and this is great for a dreamy, creative, kid.

- Jay

betagirl

quality posts: 6 Private Messages betagirl

I'm excited for this product!

I work in a call center where we aren't allowed to bring in paper for security reasons. We each use a dry erase board to take notes while we are assisting customers - this sounds like a much cooler alternative! I hate the flakes that get everywhere from erasing the dry erase boards again and again.

Beta

Tsurugi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Tsurugi

Since you can't save and can't replace the battery it's a $5 trash product so far as I can tell. If it took a AAA I'd pay $20, I think. Seems fun enough.

But not $25. woot! is owned by Amazon now, right, and has been for a while? If Amazon Prime meant free woot! shipping my purchasing would increase by a solid 300%. On the cheap stuff that extra $5 is usually make or break for me.

GSimmons01

quality posts: 3 Private Messages GSimmons01
Lord John Whorfin wrote:Looks like a solution in search of a problem.

AGREED

edgar67

quality posts: 0 Private Messages edgar67

So $20 turns into $33 after a stupid $6 disposal fee. What the heck? What exactly am I disposing? Is this product so bad that I will be tossing it into the garbage in a year or two?
(You can find this on ebay for $25 total.)

GSimmons01

quality posts: 3 Private Messages GSimmons01

I admit that the idea of something cleaner than chalk on the fridge is a very tempting solution to roommate communication dramas. Regrettably I already solved the problem by moving into a one bedroom. This would have been cheaper.

slyg07

quality posts: 0 Private Messages slyg07

I definitely would be picking up one of these if it weren't for the price. $10 yes, $25 no.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 586 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

edgar67 wrote:So $20 turns into $33 after a stupid $6 disposal fee. What the heck? What exactly am I disposing? Is this product so bad that I will be tossing it into the garbage in a year or two?
(You can find this on ebay for $25 total.)

Effective September 15, 2012, Woot, Inc. was required to begin Electronic Waste Recycling Fees in California.

You should see the estimated fees to be collected in your order summary and order confirmation e-mail

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

landfieldjc

quality posts: 6 Private Messages landfieldjc

If you are going to mount it, I suggest Velcro. It gives a satisfying shiikk.

Also: you might as well get three, as the batteries run out and you can't erase or replace them.

landfield@instagram

eccefama

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eccefama

So if it's all slick n' digital, what's the cloth for? Polishing? Or perhaps wiping away tears?

danimal85

quality posts: 2 Private Messages danimal85

Any way to mount this on a wall?

gcosta

quality posts: 2 Private Messages gcosta

Just the kind of gizmo crap I've learned to expect from Woot and thought I`d never see again!

RobinBobcat

quality posts: 41 Private Messages RobinBobcat

I actually used one when I lost my voice due to a bad cold. Since you can write with just a fingertip/nail, can make easily-read stuff quickly.

But yeah, it's mostly just nifty tech that doesn't do anything.

Meow

Go Squarryls!

brucedoesbms

quality posts: 158 Private Messages brucedoesbms
ThunderThighs wrote:Effective September 15, 2012, Woot, Inc. was required to begin Electronic Waste Recycling Fees in California.

You should see the estimated fees to be collected in your order summary and order confirmation e-mail

Wow! Y'all REALLY got it goin' on... just hunkering down to the system -- very unwoot!like -- yet very predictable considering your FINAL ownership... your demise is upon you, unfortunately... (for all of us who love what woot! used to be...adieu)... .

“Giving a camera to Diane Arbus is like putting a live grenade in the hands of a child.” --Norman Mailer
woot!ism of Assurance: "There is [WAS] no finer market than the one you create for something nobody wants, yet everyone buys... "

KhoaTon

quality posts: 3 Private Messages KhoaTon

Dear Woot staff,

I don't think the California State Electronic Waste Fee is required for this item:
Listing of Covered Electronic Devices (CEDs) from California State Board of Equalization Site

- Cathode ray tube containing devices (CRT devices) with CRTs greater than four inches measured diagonally

- Cathode ray tubes (CRTs) greater than four inches measured diagonally

- Computer monitors containing cathode ray tubes greater than four inches measured diagonally

- Laptop computers with liquid crystal display (LCD) screens greater than four inches measured diagonally

- LCD containing desktop monitors greater than four inches measured diagonally

This is by no means a "laptop", nor can it be considered a "computer monitor". Not a lawyer, but I don't think the California E-Waste fee applies!

I was considering purchasing, but the questionable application of the California E-Waste fee of $6 comes out to 1/3 the price of this item make no sense!

BTW, I have one, and find that I do use it most often for demonstrating to co-workers and helping children with homework.

Take away the $6 fee and you got a sale from me.

cappo

quality posts: 34 Private Messages cappo

This is a neat gadget of questionable efficiency that some people will buy anyway because it's reasonably inexpensive and kind of "neat."

It's a toy for grown-ups. Nothing wrong with that.

crythias

quality posts: 3 Private Messages crythias

I do have a perfect use for this: to hold my grocery list.

Currently, I use a white board on my fridge (Interesting thing, that ... the "standard" white board was too heavy and kept falling down so I removed all of the heavy and kept the dangerously (?) thin and relatively light metal whiteboard part, repurposed the original magnets directly to the metal sheet and it worked perfectly.)

But while that's great for writing on my fridge, I can't really take it with very easily.

Assuming I have a good resolution, I can write my grocery list, take it with me, not have to scramble for a stylus/pen to mark what I've purchased/grabbed from the shelf, and as long as I don't leave it in my cart or car, I think I'd enjoy this Woot for that purpose. Plus, I don't care/would rather delete the whole thing after I'm done anyway.

charliecarroll

quality posts: 105 Private Messages charliecarroll
sdkammer wrote:I reviewed this product at CES last year...here's what I said:

This lightweight and minimalist product is the "Boogie Board" It is basically a digital notepad...a touch sensitive LCD screen that you can use your finger or a stylus on to take notes. Keep it by your phone and you don't need a pad of paper...when it fills up, just push the button and it clears like an Etch-a-Sketch! So far...I'm thinking "Cool!" But then I remember...if I take a note on paper, I can go back to that note two days later and have the information. So my question to the guy was "How do I save these?" His answer..."You can't". (facepalm!) Once you push the button...they're gone forever...so make sure you write them down before you hit that button...

Nice review and with your point of having to get some paper and write down info before you erase it brings the question, Why do you need a paperless object to write on if you are going to have to redundantly write it again on paper if you don't want to lose it? So here you are paying $20 for a product that would cause you to do twice what would have been done once if you used paper. Add to that you can not transfer info and you can not change the battery when it finely fails, this has zero usefulness. Of course then there is the "green" argument (made by another) by not using paper. Well again, if you want to keep the info after it is full you are going to have to use paper and also, when the thing dies you know it is going to the landfill, battery and all! Not good and not green!

ghengis

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ghengis
lstaff wrote:So, basically it is an electronic solution to . . . scrap paper???

OK.

No. Its the electronic equivalqnt to a wax board with a lift up plastic erasing sheet.

snooks570

quality posts: 0 Private Messages snooks570
AutobahnSHO wrote:I work on networking, and end up teaching a lot. the guys at work laugh at how often I'll bust out scrap paper and draw something out.. This could be funner.
;-)

Not a grammar nut but "funner"?
More fun might take an extra second

freespiritone

quality posts: 0 Private Messages freespiritone

Re: 'AAAA' battery for this device.
Can't see a need for this for me, but assuming the comment about it using 'AAAA' betteries is true, there's a 'sneaky' hack to get them.
Simply take apart a '9 volt ENERGIZER', there's 6 of these puppies inside.
All you need is the battery & a pair of needle nose pliers.
Simply carefully 'uncrimp' the top of the 9v battery and walla!, 6 x 'AAAA' batteries for this or other uses. Not ALL 9v are made this way, 'ENERGIZER's are'
BTW, this trick can be used to get other individual 'building block' batteries as many higher voltage batteries are made by 'stacking' several lower voltage batteries. One other that comes to mind is the 'A23' 12v battery made up of 8 x 1.5v 'button' cells.
Have fun.

wingedsurfgirl

quality posts: 25 Private Messages wingedsurfgirl
snooks570 wrote:Not a grammar nut but "funner"?

I had a Garfield kids dishes set when I was a lil' girl, and it said "More foods funner." I think it may have been intentional. ;)

adamant628

quality posts: 8 Private Messages adamant628

I bet you could write upside down all day with this. It may be a cheaper alternative to the space pen.

Call NASA

gwartnet

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gwartnet

We've had one of these for about a year and have struggled to figure out what to use it for.

I could see combining this with TurboScan to save what you write.

quantamm

quality posts: 85 Private Messages quantamm
micaelaanna wrote:Can this be mounted? Umm...can it be placed up on a wall/fridge or something of the sort? Thanks!

Yes, just use double-stick tape. It only weighs about 4 ounces.

gusvonpooch

quality posts: 24 Private Messages gusvonpooch
snooks570 wrote:Not a grammar nut but "funner"?

Obviously they were trying to be funny! Are you?

dartmar

quality posts: 6 Private Messages dartmar

I used to have something like this when I was a kid. It had 2 sheets of plastic on top of some sort of waxy surface. You could write or draw on it, then lift the plastic to erase.
I think they used them at the Russian Embassy during the spying scandal.

tikisdream

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tikisdream

I've had a Boogie Board for a couple of years and I find it most helpful while grocery shopping. Scribble down your list then cross things off with a fingernail as you find them. Much easier than a phone app! Our cat likes it too - he skritches his paws over it and the surface returns to new, no matter what artwork he attempts. Also good for getting a quick inventory of parts for a project, and kids love to draw on it just like those boards we used to use where the drawing was erased by peeling the plastic sheet up.

I've used my Boogie Board hundreds of times, and it shows no sign of giving up. Rub a finger across it and you've got the Milky Way; run a fingernail across and it's a pencil point. It's really fun to play with - get one! Get one now!

tikisdream

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tikisdream
tikisdream wrote:I've had a Boogie Board for a couple of years and I find it most helpful while grocery shopping. Scribble down your list then cross things off with a fingernail as you find them. Much easier than a phone app! Our cat likes it too - he skritches his paws over it and the surface returns to new, no matter what artwork he attempts. Also good for getting a quick inventory of parts for a project, and kids love to draw on it just like those boards we used to use where the drawing was erased by peeling the plastic sheet up.

I've used my Boogie Board hundreds of times, and it shows no sign of giving up. Rub a finger across it and you've got the Milky Way; run a fingernail across and it's a pencil point. It's really fun to play with - get one! Get one now!

By the way, don't worry about the battery life - these boards last about 150,000 refreshes. Take that, landfill paper.

topcho

quality posts: 0 Private Messages topcho

This uses a 3V button battery, not AAAA

CalcMonkey

quality posts: 5 Private Messages CalcMonkey

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/cr/B002ZE4TDI/ref=aw_d_cr_pc

Amazon reviews explain it well! A high tech whiteboard!

DigMe

quality posts: 21 Private Messages DigMe

A Magnadoodle at Toys R Us costs about the same as this so it looks like this could be a high tech Magnadoodle replacement for kids.

My 5 year old is obsessed with writing words, letters, sentences, etc.. This would be great for him.

magnoliasouth

quality posts: 4 Private Messages magnoliasouth

Hmmmm. A whiteboard that doesn't transfer to my computer. Why would I want/need that?

Give me a USB port and I'd be all over it.

As for the battery... at least paper is recyclable.

Nope. This one is a big SKIP for me. It's like they just slapped it together without any thought at all.

Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean that they hate you, or anyone else.

lepiane

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lepiane
hippie19 wrote:So this is an etch-a-sketch without the challenge?

I bet Mitt 'Etch-A-Sketch' Romney would find it a challenge

M3947TG5

quality posts: 2 Private Messages M3947TG5
Not a grammar nut but "funner"? More fun might take an extra second

Actually, funner *is* a word because "fun" is an adjective and can thus be inflected. You can use "funnest" too. (Shocker, I know.)

Two things stop me from pressing the Buy button on this. 1. It erases the whole thing instead of just part of it. My son uses dry erase boards all the time for school and doodling. When you have difficulty writing, it's easier to use a dry erase marker or something like this than it is to use a pen and paper. (We're getting there. It's just hard for him.) He's not going to like starting the math problem all over again if he makes a mistake. 2. The price. I'm not sure I wanna pay $25. So I'm completely on the fence. :|

maigemdesign

quality posts: 0 Private Messages maigemdesign
potatoboat wrote:Does this transfer what was written/drawn to a pc? (via memory cards or USB cable, etc.)

Otherwise, this seems useful only as a "green" alternative to scratch paper.

Connected alternative is C-pen (recently offered on one of these websites for about $39. It transmits (wirelessly) whatever is being written by reading the motion of the pen as you write on PAPER (not a green solution), through a small receiver device that is nearby which is attached to computer USB port. My highly untechnical description. It seems most useful for transferring classnotes into computer records of those classnotes. Or maybe help for those of us who are keyboard-challenged but have to work with computers.

genel2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages genel2

If your desk is covered with lots of little notes that you just throw out anyway, like mine used to be, this is very helpful. I rcvd one xmas 2010, battery just failed. It's soldered in and no battery holder. You'd need to get a battery with tabs, and be somewhat experienced with SMT soldering. I missed mine enough to order one off Amazon about two weeks ago, Ouch.

rysavdinjesus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rysavdinjesus
DrChops wrote:Here's a pretty good video, the guy breaks it down pretty well:

Shows how to use it etc.. definitely worth a watch.

[MOD: Embedded the video for you.]