M3947TG5

quality posts: 2 Private Messages M3947TG5

People who have one: Is it really as dim as some reviewers suggest? People are saying the photo is misleading because the text is hard to see.

rysavdinjesus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rysavdinjesus
rysavdinjesus wrote:

Thx for the video link. It's a very interesting product. It doesn't seem to be worth $30 but $19.99 I could see paying for it. Unfortunately, it's quicker for my life to store notes in my phone. Now if one could hook it up to a computer and download what u have written than I would really be interested in purchasing one. I think if it had color my five yr old granddaughter would like to play with one, but I'm afraid she would get bored with it right now.I ccertainly will be keeping my eyes on this product for myself, but I think it would be useful for my husband either at work or for home.

maigemdesign

quality posts: 0 Private Messages maigemdesign
maigemdesign wrote:Connected alternative is C-pen (recently offered on one of these websites for about $39. It transmits (wirelessly) whatever is being written by reading the motion of the pen as you write on PAPER (not a green solution), through a small receiver device that is nearby which is attached to computer USB port. My highly untechnical description. It seems most useful for transferring classnotes into computer records of those classnotes. Or maybe help for those of us who are keyboard-challenged but have to work with computers.

P.S. Maybe a techie would use both devices, wherein the C-pen is used to write on the LCD board while a nearby receiver transmits the writing to the computer, or possibly to a very capable smartphone vía its USB port if one wants to takes list to grocery store, etc.

maigemdesign

quality posts: 0 Private Messages maigemdesign
maigemdesign wrote:Connected alternative is C-pen (recently offered on one of these websites for about $39. It transmits (wirelessly) whatever is being written by reading the motion of the pen as you write on PAPER (not a green solution), through a small receiver device that is nearby which is attached to computer USB port. My highly untechnical description. It seems most useful for transferring classnotes into computer records of those classnotes. Or maybe help for those of us who are keyboard-challenged but have to work with computers.

P.S. Maybe a techie would use both devices, wherein the C-pen is used to write on the LCD board while a nearby receiver transmits the writing to the computer, or possibly to a very capable smartphone vía its USB port if one wants to takes list to grocery store, etc.

Kilgore54

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kilgore54

There is an auxiliary device for capturing your Boogie Board notes to a PC... it's called a camera!

kilgore

congerjan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages congerjan
TheEndless wrote:I bought one of these for my wife about six months ago. She absolutely loves it for some reason. The fact that there's no way to erase part of it without erasing the whole thing frustrates the heck out of me.

I totally understand that frustration, I would want a way to erase a single word or line. I think this is great for kids but white boards are so much cheaper!

gooseygoose

quality posts: 9 Private Messages gooseygoose

So this is just an adult etch a sketch, right?
My phone takes wonderful notes thank you. I can also speak out the notes and save them. Plus my phone is much easier to tote around

costrowski

quality posts: 1 Private Messages costrowski

In the days before amazon destroyed woot, something like this would be 7.99. Now its just amazon trying to get rid of the crap that doesn't sell and still make a huge profit. The days of a good deal on woot are gone. you can get the 10.5 inch one with replaceable batteries for $35.00

workinpoor

quality posts: 15 Private Messages workinpoor

My mother is an artist who has effectively used this product as an alternative/ supplement to her compositions. Her blog, which features many recent creations using the Boogie Board, is here.

atkinsod

quality posts: 1 Private Messages atkinsod

We've had one for quite some time. The writing gets dimmer as the battery dies, but it lasts quite a while. We just use it as a refrigerator note tool to leave messages to the kids or my wife before I go to work, etc. The resolution isn't that good, but it worked for us as I was always trying to find paper and a pen that worked, or a pencil that didn't have a broken tip.

fait

quality posts: 16 Private Messages fait

Interesting. I never thought of this as useful for an adult.

Bought two of these a few months back to keep for extended car trips. The kids doodle all they want, and the older one plays hangman and tic-tac-toe.

They're no-mess in the car,and they're small and light - and easily portable into a restaurant to help entertain while we wait for our meals.

mledawn

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mledawn

This item actually was the source of some really neat work at a school in Edmonton, AB (Canada).

Mr Nathan Fillion, who some of you may know from a little show called Firefly, or another little show called Castle, sent his brother one of these.

Mr Jeff Fillion, a principal, then introduced the board in one of his school's classrooms. The result was a 40% reduction in paper consumption and photocopy costs.

The press release can be found here http://www.prweb.com/releases/2012/5/prweb9491120.htm, but Googleing "Jeff Fillion" and "Boogie Board" will yield many results.

There may be other devices that do the same thing, but this one survives use by children (lots of dropped devices, etc).

sdkammer

quality posts: 29 Private Messages sdkammer
charliecarroll wrote:Nice review and with your point of having to get some paper and write down info before you erase it brings the question, Why do you need a paperless object to write on if you are going to have to redundantly write it again on paper if you don't want to lose it? So here you are paying $20 for a product that would cause you to do twice what would have been done once if you used paper. Add to that you can not transfer info and you can not change the battery when it finely fails, this has zero usefulness. Of course then there is the "green" argument (made by another) by not using paper. Well again, if you want to keep the info after it is full you are going to have to use paper and also, when the thing dies you know it is going to the landfill, battery and all! Not good and not green!

That was precisely my point...

fryedsoft

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fryedsoft

If you're worried about the battery going dead, They will replace the battery if it goes dead for free although you pay for return shipping.

http://www.myboogieboard.com/news/?p=44

mm20

quality posts: 34 Private Messages mm20

Is it Mac compatible?

The 12 days of crap was just that- crap.

It's funny how when Woot! calls their stuff crap, it's ok, but when *YOU* call it crap, *poof* you get banned. Hypocrites.

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 95 Private Messages radi0j0hn
freespiritone wrote:Re: 'AAAA' battery for this device.
Can't see a need for this for me, but assuming the comment about it using 'AAAA' betteries is true, there's a 'sneaky' hack to get them.
Simply take apart a '9 volt ENERGIZER', there's 6 of these puppies inside.
All you need is the battery & a pair of needle nose pliers.
Simply carefully 'uncrimp' the top of the 9v battery and walla!, 6 x 'AAAA' batteries for this or other uses. Not ALL 9v are made this way, 'ENERGIZER's are'
BTW, this trick can be used to get other individual 'building block' batteries as many higher voltage batteries are made by 'stacking' several lower voltage batteries. One other that comes to mind is the 'A23' 12v battery made up of 8 x 1.5v 'button' cells.
Have fun.

Fascinating. I hate AAA cells.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

rabidamoeba

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rabidamoeba
ghengis wrote:No. Its the electronic equivalqnt to a wax board with a lift up plastic erasing sheet.

No with a Wax sheet you could delete only part of it if you wanted to.

tweber

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tweber
workinpoor wrote:My mother is an artist who has effectively used this product as an alternative/ supplement to her compositions. Her blog, which features many recent creations using the Boogie Board, is here.

After seeing these pictures, I want one. Too bad art classes aren't included.

fishphotogal

quality posts: 2 Private Messages fishphotogal

So the electronic version of a Magna Doodle. www.amazon.com/Magna-Doodle

I use a magna doodle to take notes underwater, what is the depth rating for the boogie board?

morninglark

quality posts: 22 Private Messages morninglark

I am always looking for a portable writing alternative but if I understand this correctly, you can't save the notes, there's no storage so you can only write one page at a time and if you want to save anything you have to copy it on a piece of paper? This sounds more like a digital blackboard than digital paper. IMHO, a blackboard and chalk would be more earth friendly since slate and chalk are natural materials.

Nice idea but I would at least need storage and the ability to transfer.

theguruguys

quality posts: 276 Private Messages theguruguys

After TAX and shipping it is less expensive for Texas residents to get it from Amazon (at least the Black one), and faster if you have prime.

malvenue

quality posts: 1 Private Messages malvenue

Does it have an output jack of any type?

poultrymom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages poultrymom

I work with a student that's non-verbal autistic. He has one of these and it's a great portable way for us to be able to communicate- he can write to communicate.

afterburn2600

quality posts: 3 Private Messages afterburn2600
peterfares wrote:I'm an engineering student and this would not be useful for homework. It's too small and you can only write one page at a time then erase.

I can second that as an engineering grad. Once you get a bit into it, the math takes up quite a bit of space... That said, as a now-engineer...this may be something very cool in lieu of a dry-erase board. I'm constantly drawing systems and writing temporary notes that I never look at again (so permanent erase doesn't matter)

jreddington

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jreddington

Needs 2 things:

Included magnets for refrigerator mounting

Line between stylus and pad to prevent stylus loss.

In for a couple for the grandkids and one to see if I can make the refrigerator thing work.

pupyluvr

quality posts: 49 Private Messages pupyluvr

Shouldn't this be listed under Sport.Woot?

Spiky

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Spiky
CSUSam wrote:Putting green quotation marks is probably very apt. If this follows the same line as styrofoam cups vs mugs I would say that you would need to use many, many thousands of sheets of paper before the waste and production cost caught up to buying one of these...

And, by the time you finish using that paper, it's all been recycled into more paper. Plus, you can grow another tree. That's why trees are considered renewable, "green" sources.

gcosta wrote:Just the kind of gizmo crap I've learned to expect from Woot and thought I`d never see again!

Yes, precisely. This is an excellent product for woot! But $10 too expensive.

chiefski

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chiefski
jstanley1 wrote:HOW did that guy find over 5 minutes of things to say about this? You write or draw on it. Press the button to erase. Done.

An aspiring news announcer?

charliecarroll

quality posts: 104 Private Messages charliecarroll
sdkammer wrote:That was precisely my point...

I was not questioning you. I was agreeing with you.

moremustard

quality posts: 1 Private Messages moremustard

Uh....

Order Subtotal: $19.99
Shipping: $5.00
Tax: $2.19
Regulatory Fees: $6.00
Total: $33.18

Sorry, not happening.
Cheaper on Amazon (free shipping too). And no reg fee either. Which is funny because Amazon owns Woot.

Please Wootpeople, try a little harder to make my day...

snaik

quality posts: 0 Private Messages snaik
freespiritone wrote:Re: 'AAAA' battery for this device.
Can't see a need for this for me, but assuming the comment about it using 'AAAA' betteries is true, there's a 'sneaky' hack to get them.
Simply take apart a '9 volt ENERGIZER', there's 6 of these puppies inside.
All you need is the battery & a pair of needle nose pliers.
Simply carefully 'uncrimp' the top of the 9v battery and walla!, 6 x 'AAAA' batteries for this or other uses. Not ALL 9v are made this way, 'ENERGIZER's are'
BTW, this trick can be used to get other individual 'building block' batteries as many higher voltage batteries are made by 'stacking' several lower voltage batteries. One other that comes to mind is the 'A23' 12v battery made up of 8 x 1.5v 'button' cells.
Have fun.

...or you can just go to Target or Walmart and buy some.

philipallen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages philipallen
potatoboat wrote:Does this transfer what was written/drawn to a pc? (via memory cards or USB cable, etc.)

Otherwise, this seems useful only as a "green" alternative to scratch paper.

brasssong

quality posts: 7 Private Messages brasssong

No bluetooth=no sale

frederic

quality posts: 1 Private Messages frederic

http://www.inventivetoys.com/dealoftheday.asp

Another fun style of erasable board for only $5.99

mntony

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mntony

Not sure why this isn't on kids.Woot! - We have a couple of these for the munchkins (mother in law got them for ALL the grandkids last X-mas) - kids LOVE them. You cannot go wrong at $20 a pop for kids...

frederic

quality posts: 1 Private Messages frederic

Very similar to this item Message Marquee but for $15 http://MessageMarquee.com

Actually only $5.99 here is the link:
http://www.inventivetoys.com/dealoftheday.asp

Another fun style of erasable board for only $5.99

majortom1981

quality posts: 0 Private Messages majortom1981
jreddington wrote:Needs 2 things:

Included magnets for refrigerator mounting

Line between stylus and pad to prevent stylus loss.

In for a couple for the grandkids and one to see if I can make the refrigerator thing work.

They are coming out with the boogie board JOt that has all those things you want. they advertise it on their site. This is probably on sale as a clearance so they can release the new one.

DoctorZchicago

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DoctorZchicago
rushe wrote:Not non-replaceable, just hard to find: AAAA (quad A) batteries required.

Radio Shack has them. (of course!)

Doctor Zchicago
from the Compound- in The Bunker, United Snakes of Amerika

sdkammer

quality posts: 29 Private Messages sdkammer
charliecarroll wrote:I was not questioning you. I was agreeing with you.

Ahhh...cool! Sometimes it's hard to tell the tone of a response in written form.

mayonnaisydaisy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mayonnaisydaisy

I work in commission sales and I got one of these to jot down notes throughout the selling process. On several occasions I have used it to communicate with deaf customers who then asked where they could get one! Saves a ton of space in my sales book and I don't have all those ratty looking note pads to flip through. Also great for safely disposing of customers personal information after I enter it into the computer instead of just pitching it in the bin where anyone could walk up and take it out. I LOVE my Boogie Board!!