streetcw

quality posts: 1 Private Messages streetcw

For $20 and shipping.. its meh..
Amazon has any item over $25 free shipping. .
woot if you were to offer it at 15 with $5 yes i would buy.. but not today

WOOT before Work

coberst

quality posts: 1 Private Messages coberst

...or if you're doing it right, "compost"

take that greenie

tikisdream wrote:By the way, don't worry about the battery life - these boards last about 150,000 refreshes. Take that, landfill paper.

©

rogerfcarter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rogerfcarter
DrChops wrote:Here's a pretty good video, the guy breaks it down pretty well:

Shows how to use it etc.. definitely worth a watch.

[MOD: Embedded the video for you.] (DrChops: Thanks mod!)

damorere

quality posts: 9 Private Messages damorere

That's a great story, but they are clearly using the "Rip" version, which has the rechargeable battery and ability to store images and transfer them to the computer. Now THAT would be tempting...

mledawn wrote:This item actually was the source of some really neat work at a school in Edmonton, AB (Canada).

Mr Nathan Fillion, who some of you may know from a little show called Firefly, or another little show called Castle, sent his brother one of these.

Mr Jeff Fillion, a principal, then introduced the board in one of his school's classrooms. The result was a 40% reduction in paper consumption and photocopy costs.

The press release can be found here http://www.prweb.com/releases/2012/5/prweb9491120.htm, but Googleing "Jeff Fillion" and "Boogie Board" will yield many results.

There may be other devices that do the same thing, but this one survives use by children (lots of dropped devices, etc).

shikarishambu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shikarishambu

Amazaon has it at 26.30 + Free shipping.So, Woot is cheaper by $1.31

mchoffa

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mchoffa
CSUSam wrote:Putting green quotation marks is probably very apt. If this follows the same line as styrofoam cups vs mugs I would say that you would need to use many, many thousands of sheets of paper before the waste and production cost caught up to buying one of these...

more like the old "Let's stop killing trees and use these recyclable plastic bags instead" from the 80s... we know how that turned out...

emphyrio

quality posts: 0 Private Messages emphyrio
Actually, funner *is* a word because "fun" is an adjective and can thus be inflected. You can use "funnest" too. (Shocker, I know.)

According to Merriam-Webster, "fun" is a noun--which is why there's so much fuss about "funner" and "funnest." I myself have no problem with these terms, as language changes all the time to suit the needs of those using it.

Fun

jbillings

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jbillings

I have owned one for about 2 years. Overall I like it. Though there are a few problems you should know before buying.
"People who have one: Is it really as dim as some reviewers suggest?"
My answer would be what someone has already said:
" Its the electronic equivalqnt to a wax board with a lift up plastic erasing sheet."
It looks almost exactly like one. It has the white text on black background. In good light it is easy to see. In bad light it is more difficult.
It does not save to a computer, which is not a big problem if you don't expect it.
In two years, I have not had to change the battery and it has not gotten more dim. It looks the same as when I bought it. I use it about 3 to 4 days a week, refreshing it about 10 to 15 times a day. I use it mainly for math homework where I would use a piece of scratch paper.
It was a little disappointing when I first got it because it couldn't do what I was hoping (i.e. no saving, smaller than I thought, have to erase the whole screen). But overall I would say it is worth $20, not the $35 I paid.

charliecarroll

quality posts: 104 Private Messages charliecarroll

It's about 7:05PM EDT and there is a huge amount of discussion on why this is just, I hate to say it but, a piece of junk that nobody really wants. At this low price, if it were ice to the Eskimos you would expect a sellout. I hate to say it but folks, this is the difference between Woot today and the original Woot. All day long a piece of crap takes up bandwidth in the hopes that, in Woots words, a "sucka" will come along. It really is sad and like many, I really miss the old and original, WOOT!

TSTING

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TSTING

This is an awesome product for my situation. I work for an insurance co. taking information that does not need to be kept. It's basically a great way to not use paper. NO this one doesn't save your writing, the more expensive one does. I have the one up from this and love it!!!!

sucker4crap

quality posts: 19 Private Messages sucker4crap

It would be great to "TEXT" with without thumb typing! Just take a picture with your phone and send the image instead of texting.

sdkammer wrote:I reviewed this product at CES last year...here's what I said:

This lightweight and minimalist product is the "Boogie Board" It is basically a digital notepad...a touch sensitive LCD screen that you can use your finger or a stylus on to take notes. Keep it by your phone and you don't need a pad of paper...when it fills up, just push the button and it clears like an Etch-a-Sketch! So far...I'm thinking "Cool!" But then I remember...if I take a note on paper, I can go back to that note two days later and have the information. So my question to the guy was "How do I save these?" His answer..."You can't". (facepalm!) Once you push the button...they're gone forever...so make sure you write them down before you hit that button...

wkaiser

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wkaiser

Had one, used it for about a year before it got smashed in my laptop bag.

It's basically a mini white board with no mess. I'm a consultant and I used it fairly frequently for 1 on 1 training or demos with customers.

Tempted to buy another.

mvsopen

quality posts: 44 Private Messages mvsopen

I guess you've got to draw the line(s) somewhere....

theabnormal1

quality posts: 2 Private Messages theabnormal1

When my father-in-law lost his voice during his treatment for throat cancer he was carrying a dry erase board with him everywhere. We bought one of these for him and he absolutely loves it. His friends and doctors all get a kick out of it too. However it is as dim as reviewers say, between that and how thin the writing comes out we sometimes have to move across the room to hold a conversation. He was a bit disappointed when it was too dim to use it to talk to his friends at the bar, and had to start bringing the dry erase board again. So I definitely would not recommend these in a low-light setting, but we would buy it again. Way quicker to communicate than constantly wiping away the marker between sentences. He's had it for about a year now (and has had no voice for about 10 months out of that year) and no problems with battery so far. And he's a big talker!
(FWIW, I'm pretty sure the box our boogie board came it said the battery lasts for maybe 50,000 erases or something ridiculous like that)

jamesonbirrell

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jamesonbirrell
imtigger2 wrote:Yes.. You CAN save to the iPhone or Andriod device!! I contacted tech support and they replied to my question regarding saving my drawings to another device, and here is their response....

"Thank you for contacting...... Take these steps to save your tablet drawings to your iOS device. This currently works only with the iPhone 5 or 4S:
1. Before pressing the erase button, lay your tablet on a well lit, flat surface.
2. Start the iOS App called "Camera"
3. When the app starts, hold your device above the Boogie Board LCD Tablet so you can see the tablet on your screen.
4. Tap the small camera icon at the bottom of the screen
5. You can now safely push the erase button on your Tablet as your written notes or drawings have now been saved to your Camera Roll!

We hope you enjoy this solution and we look forward to enhancing the Tablet-Catching app solution with future updates allowing you to post to Twitter and Facebook. .... Thank you for contacting...."

I'm telling you guys, I've tested this over and over, and it works! It amazing. I gave the App 5 stars!

That app also works for my Palm Pre (and I'm betting Blackberry Devices too!)

You had me clenching my stomach - I was thinking of this since the first comments about capture was brought up. You made my day, thanks! I'm in for 18, for my class... Now off to finding some AAAA batteries (if I heard that right).

jamesonbirrell

lepiane wrote:I bet Mitt 'Etch-A-Sketch' Romney would find it a challenge

Really? You went there. I hope you never become well known, and find people making implied insults at you simply because you can. (On the chance that you do one day become famous, I hope America will have changed back to, "If you can't say anything nice... Don't say anything at all." like I was getting at - Mitt and Obama shouldn't have to have people slinging insults at them, and hopefully you'll not have to go through that.)

jamesonbirrell

charliecarroll wrote:It's about 7:05PM EDT and there is a huge amount of discussion on why this is just, I hate to say it but, a piece of junk that nobody really wants. At this low price, if it were ice to the Eskimos you would expect a sellout. I hate to say it but folks, this is the difference between Woot today and the original Woot. All day long a piece of crap takes up bandwidth in the hopes that, in Woots words, a "sucka" will come along. It really is sad and like many, I really miss the old and original, WOOT!

ME TOO! (I almost started pulling the trigger on 6 orders for a class set, I teach math, but now $418.26 looks like only a "sucka"s deal. I won't be a sucker today - though I've never had buyers remorse with Woot! I don't want to start now. Woot may have changed, but I haven't.)

I'll buy when the price comes down (maybe if it shows up on DailySteals).

theguruguys

quality posts: 276 Private Messages theguruguys
jamesonbirrell wrote:ME TOO! (I almost started pulling the trigger on 6 orders for a class set, I teach math, but now $418.26 looks like only a "sucka"s deal. I won't be a sucker today - though I've never had buyers remorse with Woot! I don't want to start now. Woot may have changed, but I haven't.)

I'll buy when the price comes down (maybe if it shows up on DailySteals).

Many companies offer deep discounts for teachers and students in situations like you are looking for. I'd email the company that makes it and see if they would make a deal for your situation, they have already worked with school organizations in the past and received good press for doing so.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 542 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

charliecarroll wrote:It's about 7:05PM EDT and there is a huge amount of discussion on why this is just, I hate to say it but, a piece of junk that nobody really wants. At this low price, if it were ice to the Eskimos you would expect a sellout. I hate to say it but folks, this is the difference between Woot today and the original Woot. All day long a piece of crap takes up bandwidth in the hopes that, in Woots words, a "sucka" will come along. It really is sad and like many, I really miss the old and original, WOOT!

Boy that's true. We've never sold crap products before today. Nope. Not ever.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

Hollyecho

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Hollyecho

Bought it cause I had throat surgery, nice, geeky, communications board - But, not as bright (the writing/drawing) as I thought it would be. I wonder how long it will last. It is like a geeky, modern ech-a-sketch. Still fun, like new stuff....

No advertising please
Hollyecho Montgomery

alanhwoot

quality posts: 38 Private Messages alanhwoot

I went in for once since I already bought something for the day and had free shipping.

Anyway, yeah, it's exactly like one of those wax boards with the lift-off sheet. It's fine, but with no backlight it is kind of dim.

BTW, Wootbot is asleep at the switch -- I got mine today but it's still showing as pending shipping.

jvonbaker

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jvonbaker

Mine arrived today. DOA. No erase.

Can I send back to woot or do I have to go to iMPROV Electronics?

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
jvonbaker wrote:Mine arrived today. DOA. No erase.

Hiya!
Your best bet would be to contact the manufacturer first to see if they can send you a replacement, otherwise please feel free to contact service@woot.com.

Thanks!

I'm just hanging out, really.

joeldomino

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joeldomino
jvonbaker wrote:Mine arrived today. DOA. No erase.

Before you send it back try this.

Press the erase button numerous times quickly (for about 30 seconds). This should fix the issue you have. IF it does not please call customer service at 330 673 8784

Also for those that have asked about the battery and battery life yes the boogie board will erase a minimum of 50,000 times before the battery needs to be changed. We offer a free battery replacement. We have sold well over a million units of this product and to date have replaced batteries on less than 10 from lots of use. We have also desinged some new products that have replacable batteries even though 99%+ of users will never need to replace them because it is a comment that we have had a lot. Regarding how to hang the board you can buy a magent kit (also includes a stylus holder) at Amazon for about $3.00

betagirl

quality posts: 6 Private Messages betagirl

I received mine a couple of days ago and just had to come back to say how much I absolutely adore it.

Functions beautiful and it is SO much fun. Great replacement for the whiteboard that I used to use for work.

merriemoses

quality posts: 0 Private Messages merriemoses

Quiet entertainment for hours for my kids...at church, events, in car!