aphroat

quality posts: 4 Private Messages aphroat

Dear woot! - Do we know if this is the early model that ships with iOS 4.something or the later model with iOS 5.whatever? In the general scheme of things it probably doesn't matter, but inquiring minds want to keep you busy!

Wiredog

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Wiredog

It is not mentioned in the description, but due to the lithium battery Woot can not ship to APO/FPO addresses. (postal regulations suck more than taxes, guys)

Jcurran516

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jcurran516

Yup same as Apple store refurb (and I've bought two through them). Apple store is $149 with full warranty and everything is new except motherboard.

[MOD: Not the same. Our is new.]

bluemaple

quality posts: 76 Private Messages bluemaple

1) 4th gen Touch 8gb is amazing. Have 3 in our household and it does most of what the iPhone and iPad (have both) do. As a result our kids don't need smartphones with data plans.

2) THIN and performs great. Most apps work great but you need wifi connection for some of them. Great for checking email without lugging/risking laptops. I wouldn't worry about the new one coming out - yes it's better but also 2x as expensive and this version still compares very well.

3) 8 GB is plenty unless you are a pack rat. Delete old apps, move old photos (takes ok photos), and you should be fine. If you need a monster music collection on your device you already know whether 8 GB is enough.

4) This deal at $165 including shipping is decent. Of course if you are you are patient you might be able to shave off a few bucks but in the meantime you'll be missing out!

Get it. You'll love it.

BTW, Texas, I'd trade our state's sales tax + income tax for your sales (consumption) tax in an instant!

BTW2, it has a built in microphone so Skype works great.

oklahomafire

quality posts: 3 Private Messages oklahomafire
Brewser54 wrote:There is an important difference between the one here on WOOT! and the one at the Apple store - This is an 8GB for $159, store is a 16GB for $199

Look at these, they are Apple Certified Refurbished and include a 1-year warranty. $149! Free Shipping..

gandalas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gandalas

8GB is just WAY too little storage for an Ipod. You can't put much of anything on there.

Still can't believe how much of a scam apple pulls with their memory inclusions on these ipod touches. So they could include like 160 GB with the old-school ipods, but are incapable with these new ones? (and I own an iphone, so I am not biased against apple by any means.)

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 564 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

aphroat wrote:Dear woot! - Do we know if this is the early model that ships with iOS 4.something or the later model with iOS 5.whatever? In the general scheme of things it probably doesn't matter, but inquiring minds want to keep you busy!

We did not receive samples so we don't have that info. Sorry.

FORUM MODERATOR............................ON VACATION
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

mkdr

quality posts: 35 Private Messages mkdr
morninglark wrote:Ok, I pulled the tigger on this one. Does anyone know if the charger on moffi works with this? It looks like it will.

Since I unlocked free shipping today, any thoughts on the speck iPod cases on sellout woot? They are for the 4th gen right?

Yes those Kodak chargers on the Moofi sale today work great with iPod and iPhone. You just need to use your regular charging cord to connect to it.

forever fighting the urge to buy something just because it is cheap and cool...wait, it's cheap and cool, let me click that big yellow button!

ThunderThighs

Staff

Wiredog wrote:It is not mentioned in the description, but due to the lithium battery Woot can not ship to APO/FPO addresses. (postal regulations suck more than taxes, guys)

Thanks for pointing this out. We've added the note to the Features page.

••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

mdcnww

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mdcnww

This kind of sucks. I tried to order it but I guess I'm not good enough for "WOOT" they won't accept my order?? What gives?? I have sent emails to "WOOT" with no response. Nice cusotmer service. NOT

ThunderThighs

Staff

mdcnww wrote:This kind of sucks. I tried to order it but I guess I'm not good enough for "WOOT" they won't accept my order?? What gives?? I have sent emails to "WOOT" with no response. Nice cusotmer service. NOT

If you can give some more information, I can try to help. What message did you receive?

A common issue is that if you are using PayPal, we require that your PayPal account also have a credit card attached to it.

silentbrain

quality posts: 0 Private Messages silentbrain
gandalas wrote:8GB is just WAY too little storage for an Ipod. You can't put much of anything on there.

Still can't believe how much of a scam apple pulls with their memory inclusions on these ipod touches. So they could include like 160 GB with the old-school ipods, but are incapable with these new ones? (and I own an iphone, so I am not biased against apple by any means.)

160GB would definitely be a hard drive, 8GB would be flash memory. Hard drives are generally bigger but less expensive and slower than flash memory.

I'm guessing that shoving a hard drive in a new i-whatever would make their slim designs impossible?

aphroat

quality posts: 4 Private Messages aphroat
gandalas wrote:8GB is just WAY too little storage for an Ipod. You can't put much of anything on there.

I have a 16gb 1st gen Touch and I don't think I've ever put more than about 7gb on it. That's my entire Queen collection, several Audible books, and the extant Angry Birds franchise. Inquiring minds wonder Wakko Talks Faboo! you're lugging around that you need more than 8gb of storage...

partymonkey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages partymonkey

How is this a great Woot! deal? The 16GB retails for $199, not the 8GB. Following the price cut from 32GB (at $249), then the 8GB would be around $149 retail.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_ipod/family/ipod_touch/select_4thgeneration

bluemaple

@Grandma, I completely disagree and we've had 8 GB iPod Touchs going back to gen 2. Please don't be a memory snob. If you want 160 GB on a device with no physical space for a hard drive or PC SSD, good luck - especially at this price when a 120 GB SSD drive alone goes for $60-125

BTW, have you actually held one of these? It is THIN, like 1/4 inch thin.

Accelerator

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Accelerator

ONECCO Available for $156.60 brand new, manufacturers warrantee 1 year limited, 45 day return with no questions asked, free shipping, NO TAX!

simdude

quality posts: 0 Private Messages simdude

Pick up a Freedompop sleeve for this iPod and you'll add 4G free wireless access too (500 MB/month). Not a bad deal.

bluemaple

partymonkey wrote:How is this a great Woot! deal? The 16GB retails for $199, not the 8GB. Following the price cut from 32GB (at $249), then the 8GB would be around $149 retail.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_ipod/family/ipod_touch/select_4thgeneration

But Apple has dropped the 8 GB model, so 'would be' is wishful thinking for a new unit. Unless you want to wait it out for another clearance or go with a potentially disreputable source.

Dozer11

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Dozer11
aphroat wrote:I have a 16gb 1st gen Touch and I don't think I've ever put more than about 7gb on it. That's my entire Queen collection, several Audible books, and the extant Angry Birds franchise. Inquiring minds wonder Wakko Talks Faboo! you're lugging around that you need more than 8gb of storage...

The difference is that you only have a small amount of music, books (which don't take up much space), and only a handful of games. It really depends on your perspective and how you use your iPod.

I travel a lot so I can't update my music all the time so I keep multiple gigs of different playlists. I keep videos on it as well including movies even though the screen is tiny. And the amount of games I have on there take up a lot of space as well.

It's all perspective. If you only have a few albums, no video, etc. then 8GB is more than enough. But if not, then 16 or more is better.

apeweek

quality posts: 0 Private Messages apeweek
morninglark wrote:Can anyone comment on the voice quality of VoIP calls on a touch vs an iPhone?

I do this - I use free Google TalkaTone with my former phone number ported to Google Voice, on a 4th gen Touch. Quirk: to get the mic and speaker in the right places for a phone call, turn the Touch upside down and backwards.

When I leave the house I take a little MiFi portable Wifi hotspot (around $5 per month from TruConnect.)

The voice quality is very good with good Wifi available. On a poorer connection (like on the MiFi) it is passable.

quark613

quality posts: 11 Private Messages quark613

[quote postid="5205460" user="bluemaple"]1)
3) 8 GB is plenty unless you are a pack rat. /quote]

I'm not a pack rat, but I have numerous genres of music, plus several podcasts and audiobooks - hardly any apps - and my 8 gb Touch is full to the point that it won't hold any pictures at all, and I can't add new music. I use it for contacts but not calendar. I can't see the point in it if I have to keep deleting things I like to make room for others. 8 GB is Just Too Small.

capguncowboy

quality posts: 15 Private Messages capguncowboy
Accelerator wrote:ONECCO Available for $156.60 brand new, manufacturers warrantee 1 year limited, 45 day return with no questions asked, free shipping, NO TAX!

I recommend reading a little about Onecco before you order from them. They're known for "sneaky" business practices and personally, I wouldn't buy anything from them, no matter the price:

http://deals.woot.com/questions/details/52917f40-803a-45d2-8095-6d44abbd8fa4/i-just-wanted-to-let-everyone-know-about-onecco#146

clbj30

quality posts: 0 Private Messages clbj30
Jcurran516 wrote:Yup same as Apple store refurb (and I've bought two through them). Apple store is $149 with full warranty and everything is new except motherboard.

[MOD: Not the same. Our is new.]

And also remember that most people need to pay sales tax when buying online from Apple, so that $149 figure becomes $160+ for many people.

So, the Woot price for a brand new one is pretty much the same price as a refurb from Apple for many people.

pjreiter

quality posts: 1 Private Messages pjreiter
apeweek wrote:

When I leave the house I take a little MiFi portable Wifi hotspot (around $5 per month from TruConnect.)

I looked into Truconnect's MiFi and quickly realized it is not really a good deal unless you use it VERY sparingly. 3.9 cents per megabyte gets expensive pretty quickly.

dennisjmorganjr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dennisjmorganjr
richard89 wrote:15 buks in tax? woot fell off hard

yep, I agree, not their fault, but I just got hit with $18+ in tax.

outdoorslife

quality posts: 8 Private Messages outdoorslife

I noticed that woot is being overly "positive" about the new factor of this ipod. It is nice that it's new, since some of the past refurbs were a bit less than "stellar".

That being said... here is some basic per GB costing on available itouch product.
Since sales tax is so variable, you can add that in to figure out your total cost. I don't have sales tax.

8GB (woot new w/sh) $165 = $20/GB
8GB (apple refurb) $150 = $18.75/GB

16GB (walmart $196) = $12.25/GB
32GB (apple Refurb $209) = $6.53/GB
64GB (appple refurb $279) = $4.36/GB

I would rather save my money and get the 32GB unit. 4x more space at only 27% more price.
But thats just me

smooth0906

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smooth0906
morninglark wrote:These are new? $199 from Apple at this moment. http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_ipod/family/ipod_touch/select_4thgeneration
This link also has the specs, not too different from the 5th gen.

The new 4th Generation IPOD Touch in the Apple Store is 16 GB. This is 8 GB.

tryitsniperz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tryitsniperz

Yeah so I didn't realize people actually still used these... Doesn't everyone have a smart phone now that can do everything these can and more?

brandifoisie

quality posts: 3 Private Messages brandifoisie

my daughter has been collecting recycling to earn the money to buy one....do i get it for her now and hide it until she has the money??? that could take a while....uuuggghhh what to do, what to do. dang tax!

JussaIrish

quality posts: 1 Private Messages JussaIrish
tryitsniperz wrote:Yeah so I didn't realize people actually still used these... Doesn't everyone have a smart phone now that can do everything these can and more?

Only morans willing to pay $50-100 a month have smart phones. I don't need access to google and wikipedia everywhere I go.

mirrorz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mirrorz

8GB? I've had email attachments bigger than that.

I saw a turtle.

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

mirrorz wrote:8GB? I've had email attachments bigger than that.

stop bragging!

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

cweiriit

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cweiriit
JussaIrish wrote:Only morans willing to pay $50-100 a month have smart phones. I don't need access to google and wikipedia everywhere I go.

Smartphones don't cost $50-100 per month. To use an iPhone with AT&T you just need to add a data plan ($20) and pay for the phone ($8/mo). Where did you get $50?

Elhardt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Elhardt
Accelerator wrote:ONECCO Available for $156.60 brand new, manufacturers warrantee 1 year limited, 45 day return with no questions asked, free shipping, NO TAX!

When I click on your link it shows a price of $172.26 so either your price was wrong or they are changing their price on an hourly basis.

Mattiekrome

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Mattiekrome

What the heck, in for two... my kids have been asking for them since summer.

Been sooooo long since I wooted

zebraitis

quality posts: 1 Private Messages zebraitis

Meh.

I paid $ 49.00 ($150 rebate) for a Galaxy S3 from Sprint, added a $35 32GB SD.

iPod Touch = way over the hill tech.

(unless you have a 3 yr old.)

Still rockin my 160 GB iPod classic, though. Awesome for the car.

davegong

quality posts: 3 Private Messages davegong
tryitsniperz wrote:Yeah so I didn't realize people actually still used these... Doesn't everyone have a smart phone now that can do everything these can and more?

Smart phones are pretty common now and all of them can play music to some extent. The problem is that I'd love to be able to use my phone as my primary media player, unfortunately it kills the battery and frankly I don't have access to a charger at all times. Also I can't use navigation while my phone is playing music.

apctek1998

quality posts: 6 Private Messages apctek1998

Thinking about replacing my 8 track, is this a good one? 61 years old and my 8 track still works fine, do i need a computer to run this ?

edbeth1965

quality posts: 0 Private Messages edbeth1965

This is what my son wants for Christmas. Too bad pay day is tomorrow, Woot!

edbeth1965

quality posts: 0 Private Messages edbeth1965
cweiriit wrote:Smartphones don't cost $50-100 per month. To use an iPhone with AT&T you just need to add a data plan ($20) and pay for the phone ($8/mo). Where did you get $50?

Are you saying you are only paying $28./month for an iPhone? That doesn't sound right. Is it an add on to someone's plan?