2%
3%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootalyzer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wootalyzer

Wootalyzer's Pricing Post! - The price of today's woot item is saved here for future reference
------------------------------------------------------------
Apple MacBook Pro Assortment
$1479.99 + $5 Standard OR $15 Two-Day OR $17 One-Day Shipping
Condition: Refurbished

*DISCLAIMER* Wootalyzer! is in no way affiliated with Woot!, and this post may not always be here!

mrtbshaw

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mrtbshaw

If only I had a spare grand laying around

“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.”
― Leonardo da Vinci

spizmar

quality posts: 11 Private Messages spizmar

Looks kind of like an Apple IIe.

drummingcraig

quality posts: 10 Private Messages drummingcraig
spizmar wrote:Looks kind of like an Apple IIe.

Minus Oregon Trail.

So are we gonna kick it - Gonna kick it woot down - Gonna break it all down - Gonna kick it woot down!

DisrobedMonk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DisrobedMonk

What generation?? To lazy to read

teenracer6

quality posts: 59 Private Messages teenracer6

Not to be hateful on Apple or anything, but you can build a top of the line PC with that kind of money. You could even build a dang good one and pay someone to put it together for you. Someone PLEASE qualify this laptop for the price it is right now.

ashliz8806 wrote:Going to a Wizards game and being disappointed is like going swimming and getting wet...If you didn't expect it, I'm not sure I trust your judgment.

yankeesrule

quality posts: 5 Private Messages yankeesrule

Would these qualify for AppleCare?

[MOD: Yep, per the features - AppleCare protection plan eligible (not included)]

mariomario42

quality posts: 7 Private Messages mariomario42

I bought a new HP laptop 3 years ago for $800 that outperforms these refurbished machines.

Save your money folks.

dts0240

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dts0240
teenracer6 wrote:Not to be hateful on Apple or anything, but you can build a top of the line PC with that kind of money. You could even build a dang good one and pay someone to put it together for you. Someone PLEASE qualify this laptop for the price it is right now.

I'll qualify it for you. My last macbook lasted for more than 6 1/2 years with no maintenance other than a $30 RAM upgrade, and would have gone longer had I not chosen to upgrade. I've never talked to anyone with a PC laptop that has had theirs for more than 3 years.

You're definitely paying more for the design and functionality...BUT, you're also paying for unparalleled quality in my experience.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 542 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

mariomario42 wrote:I bought a new HP laptop 3 years ago for $800 that outperforms these refurbished machines.

Save your money folks.

That's Apple Recertified with a One Year Apple warranty.

The software wouldn't let us put that in the condition. *grumble*

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

d0ct3r

quality posts: 0 Private Messages d0ct3r
Goosedude wrote:Sorry Woot....after seeing all the new Windows 8 demo laptops being rolled out with the amazing designs and features.....Mac laptops' looks and functionality is positively prehistoric.

I just want to say yes those apple laptops are old but don't put your hope in windows 8. It's horrible.

mkothuri

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mkothuri

Not eligible for OS X Mountain Lion Up-to-Date Program
OS X Mountain Lion available for download at the Mac App store for only $19.99

Homercles

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Homercles

I'm supposed to shell out $1,400 for a previously owned and broken laptop? Really!?

hippie19

quality posts: 21 Private Messages hippie19

I've used one of these before, they actually work as a laptop. I'm using one quite similar now.

psu3441

quality posts: 1 Private Messages psu3441

Do these have an HDMI out??

tigrushke

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tigrushke
dts0240 wrote:I'll qualify it for you. My last macbook lasted for more than 6 1/2 years with no maintenance other than a $30 RAM upgrade, and would have gone longer had I not chosen to upgrade. I've never talked to anyone with a PC laptop that has had theirs for more than 3 years.

You're definitely paying more for the design and functionality...BUT, you're also paying for unparalleled quality in my experience.

I am still on my Dell XPS laptop that I've bought in 2006. All I've done to it is upgrade memory as well. It works just fine.

rom

quality posts: 54 Private Messages rom
d0ct3r wrote:I just want to say yes those apple laptops are old but don't put your hope in windows 8. It's horrible.

If you have used it for some time. It's a great upgrade from Windows 7.

ropper1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ropper1
dts0240 wrote:I'll qualify it for you. My last macbook lasted for more than 6 1/2 years with no maintenance other than a $30 RAM upgrade, and would have gone longer had I not chosen to upgrade. I've never talked to anyone with a PC laptop that has had theirs for more than 3 years.

I agree. I have had my desktop for over 6 years with no problems and no maintenance.

wenda86

quality posts: 9 Private Messages wenda86

Typical iFanboys.

I have a 10 years old laptop too that requires no servicing and it is still running now... It's a ThinkPad.

What unparalleled quality that you talked about. Bollocks.

greyday

quality posts: 51 Private Messages greyday
teenracer6 wrote:Not to be hateful on Apple or anything, but you can build a top of the line PC with that kind of money. You could even build a dang good one and pay someone to put it together for you. Someone PLEASE qualify this laptop for the price it is right now.

Ok! First off, this is a Macbook PRO. Which is why the price is so high; it's designed to be the premiere/high end Mac portable, which actually puts its price and specs as somewhat competitive with top end non-OSX laptops (though obviously a bit more expensive, this is referred to as the "Apple Tax", but it's really not as high as it seems). It's currently unfortunate, however, that Apple discontinued the MacBook line, because those had a 30-40% lower price tag, and were, well, less of a machine, but designed to be so. Apple seems to be wanting to just exist in two market: high end machines and sleek, regularly replaceable portables, with no in-between (which, to use Dell as an example, you can get a pretty darned solid Dell Laptop for around $450-500 that'll work great for a couple years, but they aren't the high end and won't last long enough; I know, I have owned a few).

The main thing is that you're buying a pro line Mac to use the OS and for longevity. They hold their resale well, and they are durable; I have a freelancer I work with who was, up until he was forced by a client to upgrade to CS5, still working off a Powerbook G4 from 2003 (he upgraded last year, so 9 years off a laptop; find me a 9 year old Dell that still works well with mostly modern software/OS). I personally was doing audio editing and video work on my G5 from 2003 until 2010 when I upgraded to a mini (which I still use and cost me around $500).

But back to the MBPro line: these computers are designed for functional pro-grade use, like a college student workload or a professional graphic designer, music industry person, photo or vide editor, etc., NOT to be pretty and show offy like a tablet or a tablet/laptop hybrid.

Note that I have used Apple products for more than two decades now, but I also have windows and linux machines that I use regularly and don't have a problem with. However, my personal machines are mostly Macs/Apple, as I just prefer the os and the durability of the hardware...

EDIT TO ADD: Also, if you choose to build a pc for this amount of money, it will have MUCH more impressive specs. You also have to build it, make sure everything works properly, buy Windows (if you use Windows, Linux and other OSs are of course free), install all the software you need, and you end up with...a tower or desktop, which is likely not very portable...

Jago3825

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Jago3825

I've got the mc846lla (same as fc846lla, but bought as new). Paid $2000 for it. Best purchase I ever made. Display is better than anything else out there (with the exception of the new retina displays). Anyone tired of viruses and bs Microsoft updates and crashes should look at this deal. Going over 1yr and not one crash, virus, bs upgrade, or anything. Itunes gets you all the bluray quality content you could want without lugging around disks. Entry level new MacBook pro 15s start at around $1800. The 17" fc846 is a steal for under $1500.

Itwdswafo

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Itwdswafo
mkothuri wrote:Not eligible for OS X Mountain Lion Up-to-Date Program
OS X Mountain Lion available for download at the Mac App store for only $19.99

Thanks for that... was trying to find it.

Also, this deal is about $400 off from what Apple is offering from their refurbished line:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FD322

Itwdswafo

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Itwdswafo

Agreed. I'm at 6 1/2 now, and I'm still running strong. Never had anything go wrong with it, never been in for service, upgrades, natta. Still runs great, fast, and runs all current programs fine.

greyday

wenda86 wrote:Typical iFanboys.

I have a 10 years old laptop too that requires no servicing and it is still running now... It's a ThinkPad.

What unparalleled quality that you talked about. Bollocks.

A) You don't have to be a fanboy to appreciate a piece of hardware that works for you.

B) ...and I owned a ThinkPad that cost more than competitor laptops and could stay top of the line current for about 2.5 years and then started to slow dramatically and most software updates and newer ware wouldn't run on. At ALL. You found a machine that works for you and for a long time, that's great (sincerely)! It doesn't make Macs any less what they are, which, at least for MacBook Pro line, are proven to be long lasting and durable.

ahamling27

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ahamling27
mariomario42 wrote:I bought a new HP laptop 3 years ago for $800 that outperforms these refurbished machines.

Save your money folks.

Somehow I find that hard to believe. Even the low end model, the one with the lowest processor(the 17" model with the i5) is a lot of muscle for a laptop. Three years ago the only i7 processor was the i7 and it was totally a entusiast/pro processor, which would have had a premium and you wouldn't find it on an $800 laptop. Most likely you had a Core 2 Duo or maybe even a regular Core 2. These Macs are all 2 core Arrandale CPUs, but with Hyper Threading so OSX sees it as 4 cores.

This is quite a good deal, as most of these can even resale as used for about the same price.

For the record, the 17" higher end model was going for $1719.99 when they had them in stock at Newegg. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834100251

Edit: My own personal experience with Apple is a black Macbook(one of the last regular Macbooks they made) from 2007. Still running strong and it's my wife's laptop now. It was $1,499 new and it only had a Core 2 Duo processor, that's 2 cores without Hyper Threading with integrated Intel HD 2000 graphics and only 120 GB on a 5400 rpm drive. Not to mention it is only 13.3", not 15.4" or 17" like the deals here. I would love to update my wife's laptop but according to her, it would be a waste of money because she says hers works just fine.

It wouldn't be on Woot.com if it wasn't a deal. :D

pupyluvr

quality posts: 48 Private Messages pupyluvr

For $1229 you can get a 15.4-inch Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.0GHz quad-core Intel i7 directly from Apple's refurb section.

Am I missing something?

wenda86

Back on topic. Actually pricing isn't bad at all for a MacBook Pro.

I don't deny the reliability of these MacBook Pro. However, you can get pretty much about the same thing elsewhere without sacrificing the reliability part for much less money. How about that?

neuropsychosocial

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial
psu3441 wrote:Do these have an HDMI out??

I believe they do not, but I purchased a mini-display port to HDMI adapter for under $20; works perfectly.

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

atolsonphoto

quality posts: 0 Private Messages atolsonphoto

Does anyone know if these Macbooks are quad-cores?

greyday

Homercles wrote:I'm supposed to shell out $1,400 for a previously owned and broken laptop? Really!?

Just a comment on Apple refurbs: two of the 16 apple computers I've owned in my life weren't refurbs. And one of those two needed to have the motherboard replaced at one point. I trust refurbs WAYYY more than new, they go through a ton more QC. Plus, you know, cheaper. ;)

skispeakeasy

quality posts: 28 Private Messages skispeakeasy

In defense of Mac ->

One of my friends suggested the same thing a few years ago and it made a lot of sense. I spent $1000 and got the best PC (laptop) I could for the money, then took that and upgraded all the other parts I could. After only a year, the hardware was in tatters. The SD card slot was busted, the screen had a few dead pixels and I was fighting Microsoft roadblocks like their barrier to other languages without upgrading to the top tier Windows. Repairs sometimes took weeks. When the power cord finally stopped charging it, they told me that that wasn't covered under my three year warranty, so I chucked it into the recycling bin.

After that I got a hand me down iBook from my brother. I've been using it for 3 years (after my brother used it for 2 years) and it is still running great. The one time the computer had a problem apple care had it fixed the next day and didn't charge me a dime.

"Cheap" PC? Never again...

Done and done! ;)

teenracer6

quality posts: 59 Private Messages teenracer6
greyday wrote:The main thing is that you're buying a pro line Mac to use the OS and for longevity.

EDIT TO ADD: Also, if you choose to build a pc for this amount of money, it will have MUCH more impressive specs. You also have to build it, make sure everything works properly, buy Windows (if you use Windows, Linux and other OSs are of course free), install all the software you need, and you end up with...a tower or desktop, which is likely not very portable...

Sorry I only grabbed a couple things you said to reply to.

I (was forced to) use the Apple OS for 2 years while in a Digital vieo Production class, and I could never get used to it. To the day I graudated, I struggled with it.

Also, on the building part, if you dont need it for portability, then build one. It isnt hard. Built my first tower over the past month (upgrading parts slowly after build) and like I said, you can pay someone to build it if you are unsure. Local tech geeks will probably do it for $50-$100 depending on how well you know em.

The build comment was mainly pointed at people looking at this for a status symbol.

ashliz8806 wrote:Going to a Wizards game and being disappointed is like going swimming and getting wet...If you didn't expect it, I'm not sure I trust your judgment.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 542 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Greetings folks. Enjoy your Apple vs PC debate today. Just a couple guidelines:

• No name calling.

• No linking to PCs that you think are better than this. We're here to talk about this sale. Feel free to share your links on Deals.Woot though.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

baldshaun

quality posts: 1 Private Messages baldshaun

Not hateful. It's a valid observation. It's a known fact that Macs are expensive. However, a few years ago, after using windows nearly a decade, I took the plunge and bought a MBP and never looked back. I just enjoy using it so much more, from the quality of the chassis to the simplicity of the OS. Of course, I spend so much time working on my computer that I can justify the extra cost. For casual use, I probably wouldn't be willing to pay the Apple tax.

Oh, and my wife's Macbook is over 6 years old and running a modernish OS (Snow Leopard) smoother than many new windows machines I've encountered. I've never had a Windows machine last anywhere near that long.

The resale value on Macs is pretty darn good, too.

mariomario42

quality posts: 7 Private Messages mariomario42
ahamling27 wrote:Somehow I find that hard to believe. Even the low end model, the one with the lowest processor(the 17" model with the i5) is a lot of muscle for a laptop. Three years ago the only i7 processor was the i7 and it was totally a entusiast/pro processor, which would have had a premium and you wouldn't find it on an $800 laptop. Most likely you had a Core 2 Duo or maybe even a regular Core 2. These Macs are all 2 core Sandy Bridge CPUs, but with Hyper Threading so OSX sees it as 4 cores.

Quad Core, i7, got it for $800 (normally $1100 but you can shop around much more than macs and get deals like that).

Don't believe it if you want, but it's the truth.

ahamling27

pupyluvr wrote:For $1229 you can get a 15.4-inch Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.0GHz quad-core Intel i7 directly from Apple's refurb section.

Am I missing something?

The 15.4" model here has a higher resolution screen, 1680x1050, while the one your showing has a 1440x900 display. The GPU also has double the ram on today's deal, 512 MB vs the 256 MB on the model you showed. Other than that, the processor might have a little more performance with 2.0 Ghz at 4 cores, but the deal here has a 2 core(which is shown as 4 cores in the OS thanks to Intel's Hyper Threading) at 2.6 Ghz, with single core performance reaching 3+ Ghz.

That is a good find though, for the single factor that it's cheaper than the laptops found today on Woot. :P

wenda86

atolsonphoto wrote:Does anyone know if these Macbooks are quad-cores?

Nope, they are all 2 cores.

Though on the i7, you get the benefit of Intel HyperThreading. In other words, the machine runs at 2 cores/4 threads. It does give you the performance boost on certain applications such as video editing, encoding, etc.

EDIT: To add, the i5 also has HyperThreading.

baldshaun

quality posts: 1 Private Messages baldshaun
pupyluvr wrote:For $1229 you can get a 15.4-inch Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.0GHz quad-core Intel i7 directly from Apple's refurb section.

Am I missing something?

Well, most people have to pay tax through the Apple Store, so that would make it more expensive than the Woot deal. But it's still a better deal IMO, because for only a little more you'd get a quad core processor and that's a 2011 model vs. 2010 Woot model. (Also shopdiscover gives %5 cashback from the Apple Store, including refurbs.)

ahamling27

mariomario42 wrote:Quad Core, i7, got it for $800 (normally $1100 but you can shop around much more than macs and get deals like that).

Don't believe it if you want, but it's the truth.

I have no doubt about your PC and the deal you found. I similarly found a Gateway P-7811fx which originally sold for $1200 new for $950, and I still use it today!

What I don't agree with is that you are telling people that these laptops, which can go from $300-$500 more(even for referbs) that this isn't a deal.

Just because your PC laptop had better specs doesn't mean it runs better than a Mac with lesser specs.

This isn't a PC vs Mac debate, these 3 specific models of Macbook Pro's usually go for a lot more than what Woot is selling them for.

If you want a great Mac, than today's deal is right for you. If you want a PC with better specs then get a PC...