WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Happy Music Monday! Halloween is almost upon us, so we've got to get our ducks in a row. Today Scott's looking at songs that are dark and sinister, perfect for a scary-yet-rockin' playlist. He'll be doing an official Halloween theme next week, so save your "Monster Mash" posts until then! This week's for the gothy, smokey, and lightly menacing. Here's an example of what we're talking about:

The Sisters Of Mercy - Dominion/Mother Russia

A band once-beloved by teen vampires in the '80s, "Dominion" hits most of the important Top 40 goth scene notes. There's mysterious Nostradamus-style lyrics that are just vague enough, there's a steady beat you can sway defiantly with, and the short version looks like Highlander 3. But never let it be said that Andrew Eldritch ignores his bandmates. After all, drummer Doktor Avalanche has been a full partner for years.

See? That's the kind of music we're gonna enjoy today. Put on your black lace gloves and a studded wristband and head inside… IF YOU DARE!! Which you probably do, because the music we've picked isn't really very scary at all. See you inside…

As always, remember our Spotify playlist will be featuring a great selection from last week's Music Monday comments. The theme of the mix this time is Animal Pop and we think it'll drive you wild. Get it? GET IT???? Anyway, check out these other songs before you reminisce.

The Beatles - Helter Skelter

When the Fab Four wrote this song, Charles Manson wasn't yet a household name. But listen to it, especially when compared to their earlier work. This is a really an aggressive and freaky song and a huge break from All You Need Is Love. You can really feel that things are starting to reach a breaking point, both inside the band and in the world around them.

Nine Inch Nails - The Perfect Drug

Imagine a Moulin Rouge! directed by Tim Burton and Jack White and you'd probably be thinking of this video. "Perfect Drug" showed up at a good time in Trent Reznor's career, when he was already established but maybe not yet in Rock Valhalla. Even though it was for a movie, and it was an experiment, and it wasn't really something he liked, he still scored a respectable hit off this track. It might not be his darkest, but a dark enough blue sure looks like black.

The Girls - Jeffery I Hear You

There's not much I can say about these The Girls, because they didn't exist for very long and then other people started using the name. I myself haven't heard any other song by this band, but I'm glad I know this one. It's a nice little ghost story told in about five minutes through a scream of vocals, guitar and electronic beeps. I can't think of another song that even attempts what this one achieves. Good stuff for pre-Halloween.

Bauhaus - Bela Lugosi's Dead

A tribute to the late, great, best known Dracula, this atmospheric song is a Halloween mixtape favorite. Maybe it's not as authentically creepy as Terror Couple Kill Colonel, but it's still a classic. And it'll sound great on the Spotify playlist next week, right?

Hey, speaking of which, add your songs in the forums and help us make a dark and spooky mix! Remember, save the Halloween songs for seven more days, because that'll be next Monday's theme. In the meantime, come hang out in our Turntable.fm room for the regular Music Monday enjoyment and some crazy new Halloween avatars. Also, let us just remind you: some images come from the corresponding Wikipedia page and are here under fair use.

Quality Posts

mossygreen

quality posts: 71 Private Messages mossygreen

This just might be the horrifying song ever: Comus' Drip Drip

Oh crap, though, you want that dance-y '80's stuff, so here: Believers of the Unpure by Christian Death (Valor-led edition)

Slydon

quality posts: 17 Private Messages Slydon

Staff

mossygreen wrote:Oh crap, though, you want that dance-y '80's stuff, so here: Believers of the Unpure by Christian Death (Valor-led edition)

It doesn't have to be danc-y!

Hi, I'm one of the writers. My powers are limited but I'll do what I can.

CowboyDann

quality posts: 716 Private Messages CowboyDann

How about anything off this record?
(Edit: I guess pictures aren't working. Soundtracks for the blind though, by swans}

Or anything written by Michael Gira in general? I listened to Swans Exclusively for a couple months and went into the strangest depression. Music can really mess you up, especially if you just listen to swans.

Here's a song from one of their earlier albums - Blind Love by Swans

Yeah I know the song is 18 minutes long.

dootsie

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dootsie

Amanda Palmer & The Grand Theft Orchestra's cover of "Polly" by Nirvana. Holy god.

Disturbing content warning for the video... do be warned:
http://youtu.be/lg0dWANc3mo

CatCK

quality posts: 50 Private Messages CatCK

Here are some possibilities:

"Jeremy", by Pearl Jam

"Enter Sandman", by Metallica

If you want a happy sounding song with dark lyrics, I'll give you:
"I Don't Like Mondays", by the Boomtown Rats

yorknh

quality posts: 3 Private Messages yorknh

Hopefully these are in the vein of being dark but not full-fledged halloween scary...

Laibach - Sympathy For The Devil

Ministry - (Everyday Is) Halloween
Back when Ministry was young and kind of campy, but still, how could this not be included?

Front 242 - Tragedy For You
Actually the video is a tragedy, I have no idea what the connection is.

lalligood

quality posts: 3 Private Messages lalligood

Some great suggestions so far!... Here are a few that I think are pretty darn dark:

"Raining Blood" by Slayer

"Bloodletting (The Vampire Song)" by Concrete Blonde

"Dead Man's Party" by Oingo Boingo--don't let the catchy melody let you look past the very dark lyrics!

strawhousepig

quality posts: 60 Private Messages strawhousepig

Interesting choices.

I was thinking more like Mercyful Fate reading the post title, but that The Girls tune put me in a mood for...
Night Soil Man - Ant Farm - YouTube [NSFW]

BOMB - Health Food and Heroin - YouTube

Coffin Break - Lies - YouTube

D.I.-Richard Hung Himself - YouTube

Nomeansno - Forget Your Life - YouTube

Gen X represent!! :p

mossygreen

Slydon wrote:It doesn't have to be danc-y!

But Helter Skelter notwithstanding, you want the '80's, right? You might be dating yourself, sir.

I might as well join in, with some kick-ass Foetus:
DI-1-9026
English I'm tactless, yet rude. /Nothin Man
Honey I'm Home
Diabolus in Musica (instrumental)

mossygreen

And a special ladies edition, featuring Ms. Lydia Lunch:

Afraid of Your Company
Death Valley 69
all 16 minutes and 15 seconds of The Agony is the Ecstasy/Drunk on the Pope's Blood

A different kind of dark:
Little Dead Bodies by Algegra Suicide

mossygreen

CowboyDann wrote:
Or anything written by Michael Gira in general? I listened to Swans Exclusively for a couple months and went into the strangest depression. Music can really mess you up, especially if you just listen to swans.

My goodness, why would you do that to yourself?

But that reminds me, Roli Mosimann was in Wiseblood:
0-0 (Where Evil Dwells)

strawhousepig

How about a little Tubeway Army? Gary Numan - Down in the Park (live 1979) - YouTube

Slydon

quality posts: 17 Private Messages Slydon

Staff

mossygreen wrote:But Helter Skelter notwithstanding, you want the '80's, right?

JUST DARK any era is fine, for real

Hi, I'm one of the writers. My powers are limited but I'll do what I can.

pstrnutbag44

quality posts: 2 Private Messages pstrnutbag44

Misery is the River of the World....or about 1,500 other Tom Waits songs....

Woodpecker

quality posts: 15 Private Messages Woodpecker

Nobody chose the worst song ever? DOA

strawhousepig

pstrnutbag44 wrote:Misery is the River of the World....or about 1,500 other Tom Waits songs....

I heard that Misery Is A Butterfly.

I'm surprised no one has thrown down with some Floyd.