dsmmrm

quality posts: 7 Private Messages dsmmrm
jbest wrote:Anyone know if this will stream video FROM a DLNA server?

As Ike said, it's supposed to. I have had this player for several months and it works fine for what I have tried so far, IE BD, Netflix, Youtube, etc. Nothing to jump up and own about but adequate. Coincidentally,
This weekend I was planning on trying out the dlna functionality. I hope it does work as advertised.

kenbuzz

quality posts: 13 Private Messages kenbuzz

User manual: http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201205/20120514175019346/02228A-BD-E5900-ZA-ENG-BM-0507.pdf

Supported video formats:
AVI MKV ASF WMV MP3 3GP VRO MPG MPEG TS TP TRP

Supported video containers:
AVI MKV ASF MP4 3GP VRO VOB PS TS

Supported audio codecs:
DD LPCM AAC HE-AAC WMA DD+ MP3 DTS

LAST FIVE WOOTS:
04/12/13 Eye-Fi Mobile 8GB Wireless Memory Card - $35
03/01/13 Powerbag 3000mAh Charging Bag - $40
02/21/13 Canon Wireless AIO Printer - $50
02/21/13 3M HD Camcorder Projector - $80
11/10/12 Alaratec Charge-Glo 30-pin Sync Cable (x3) - $5 ea

djrmsn

quality posts: 21 Private Messages djrmsn

Was ready to jump right in for one - and then realized 3D BluRay needs a 3D TV or 3D projector to see the 3D-DVDs in 3D. :-( Not ready to go down the path of replacing currently functioning just fine non-3D equipment. Looks like a hell of a deal though.

waywyrd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages waywyrd

Shockingly, my piece of garbage Panasonic DVD player just crapped out last night. Good timing, Woot. I've had good luck with Samsung, so...I'm in for one.

ripprsoul

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ripprsoul
ch3fdan wrote:Was going to buy a game console for cheap for my tv so I could use pandora/netflix all the good stuff. Would this thing be worth it for all the apps alone, I'm not going to use it for blurays. Basically to turn my tv into an internet tv.

If that is all you're looking for, just pick up a Roku. It's small, ridiculously easy to use, and has all the major streaming apps you'd want (Netflix, Pandora, Hulu, Amazon, etc). And the basic model is $50, so it would be cheaper than this anyway. And they pop up on on Woot all the time.

dupedyetagain

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dupedyetagain
ch3fdan wrote:Was going to buy a game console for cheap for my tv so I could use pandora/netflix all the good stuff. Would this thing be worth it for all the apps alone, I'm not going to use it for blurays. Basically to turn my tv into an internet tv.

I'd recommend getting a Roku player, which plays Hulu Plus, Netflix, Cracked, HBO Go, Pandora, and just about any other streaming service. Everyone who has one loves it, and you won't be taking your chances on buggy DVD player apps.

izzyizzo

quality posts: 3 Private Messages izzyizzo
mdrcoast wrote:No optical output for sound? Only Coaxial Digital Output? Have to really think about that one.

Nice catch - thank you

kenbuzz

quality posts: 13 Private Messages kenbuzz
stewy0327 wrote:Here is one if you don't need 3D

http://mobile.dailysteals.com

Well....

That player (BD-E5300) has 5 native apps (Netflix, CinemaNow, YouTube, vudu and Pandora) for $40 (free s/h).

This player (BD-E5900) can download free and paid apps from Samsung.com (including all 5 above, plus Hulu+ and 150+ more) and provides basic web-surfing capability (no Java or ActiveX support), for $65 (incl s/h)

Both will support DLNA and playing media from a USB drive, and both can stream video/audio/photos wirelessly from another PC on your network after you've downloaded their software to that machine.

Depends on whether $25 is too much to pay for more apps and websurfing. I'm a Roku fan but if I didn't have that and if I knew whether this system and apps were buggy or not, it might be tempting just for the surfing capability.

LAST FIVE WOOTS:
04/12/13 Eye-Fi Mobile 8GB Wireless Memory Card - $35
03/01/13 Powerbag 3000mAh Charging Bag - $40
02/21/13 Canon Wireless AIO Printer - $50
02/21/13 3M HD Camcorder Projector - $80
11/10/12 Alaratec Charge-Glo 30-pin Sync Cable (x3) - $5 ea

theresamx

quality posts: 1 Private Messages theresamx

I'm confused. the complaints on amazon are about it being wifi ready, but everyone talks about the internet access. Does the wifi work?

gryhnd

quality posts: 5 Private Messages gryhnd
theresamx wrote:I'm confused. the complaints on amazon are about it being wifi ready, but everyone talks about the internet access. Does the wifi work?

Me too.

However Crutchfield states:

Note: The Blu-ray player's built-in WiFi supports IEEE 802.11A/B/G/N wireless LAN networks and WEP (open/shared), WPA-PSK (TKIP/AES), WPA2-PSK (TKIP/AES) network security.

Gortizjr

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Gortizjr

I purchased this model new from Fry's electronic store for $69.99 and it is TERRIBLE! It locks up when playing dvds and when on netflix, the two things i do most often. The only way to get it going again is to unplug it and replug it back in.

zaphod9977

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zaphod9977
cubbiemi wrote:I noticed much of the anger on the Amazon reviews seemed centered on it not having WIFI but being WIFI ready and people paying $50 for a special dongle to make it work or then being told it only worked as wired.

The specs on Samsung's website claim this has built in WIFI.

theresamx

quality posts: 1 Private Messages theresamx
gryhnd wrote:

ok, so now I'm more confused. lol! so some people own this - will it pick up the wifi signal from my internet hub, or do I need to buy something for it to pick up the signal?

tianftld

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tianftld

I have to say when I first purchased this I thought it was great and then after a few hours I realized it was impersonating a Windows 3.0 computer with a memory leak. The longer the unit is on the more sluggish it becomes. It does everything well as long as you are willing to shut it off and on frequently.

elmoore58

quality posts: 0 Private Messages elmoore58

This recent release only mentions 2012 TVs but is there a chance that the newly released Amazon Instant Video App will be downloadable for this 3DBD player?

http://www.samsung.com/us/news/20302

mdrcoast

quality posts: 11 Private Messages mdrcoast

Ever since I bought by LG 3D tv, I have been looking for a 3D blu-ray player.

Now looking at the availability and price of 3D blu-rays not so sure. Both LG and Direct TV have 3D content on demand without the need of a player.

I have to think that this is the last bit of TV technology that uses physical media.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
zaphod9977 wrote:The specs on Samsung's website claim this has built in WIFI.

According to our people wi-fi is built-in. Shop with confidence!

I'm just hanging out, really.

cole103

quality posts: 9 Private Messages cole103
DigMe wrote:No Amazon VOD is a deal-killer for me.

No Amazon VOD, no Netflix due to connection incompatibility, subpar WiFi pickup....I really wanted to like this one and need a BluRay player, but will have to pass on this. Rats.

jdean28

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jdean28

Absolutely. I have this player and I use it almost exclusively for the apps, I very rarely watch blurays. It'll also play all of the music from all of your PCs within your home network too, which is awesome.

jdean28

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jdean28
inkycatz wrote:According to our people wi-fi is built-in. Shop with confidence!

I can confirm. Mine is connected via Wi-Fi.

I love this thing. I'm in for another for the bedroom.

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

Having never used apps through a tv, can you navigate to all of these things with the remote of do you need a mouse?

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

traquy

quality posts: 50 Private Messages traquy
dupedyetagain wrote:I'd recommend getting a Roku player, which plays Hulu Plus, Netflix, Cracked, HBO Go, Pandora, and just about any other streaming service. Everyone who has one loves it, and you won't be taking your chances on buggy DVD player apps.

I'm so cheesed off about HBO Go. We have HBO, pay our monthly dues but because we live in a rural area and have Bubba's cable service we will never get HBO Go because your cable company has to sign up. I really wish they would just give each subscriber a code so we could access this stuff online. It's a crappy way to treat your customers.

amarkham

quality posts: 1 Private Messages amarkham

I am currently using a Samsung 3D Bluray player at home (refurb as well) and I've been pretty happy with it. I don't think it is this same model, but it has to be similar. Had it for nearly a year. Loads movies quickly (10-20 seconds for a 3D Bluray) Using a generic HDMI 1.4a cable and still can't complain about the picture. Have only used the Pandora app, so I can't really comment about their functionality. For under $70, this is a deal.

amarkham

quality posts: 1 Private Messages amarkham
dupedyetagain wrote:I'd recommend getting a Roku player, which plays Hulu Plus, Netflix, Cracked, HBO Go, Pandora, and just about any other streaming service. Everyone who has one loves it, and you won't be taking your chances on buggy DVD player apps.

I second this...I use the apps on my LG TV (only because of the cool little Wii remote) and they are buggy beyond belief. I miss my Roku player and am planning to purchase another this fall

StanleyS

quality posts: 4 Private Messages StanleyS

Just so no one misunderstands, Hulu Plus, Netflix, HBO Go are all pay-for-subscription apps (among many others) on the Roku. I am a Roku-from-Woot owner and am perfectly happy with using the 100s of free apps you can access.

jesusam

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jesusam

some one can tell me if the blu-ray come with a remote control

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
jesusam wrote:some one can tell me if the blu-ray come with a remote control

In the box:

Samsung BD-E5900 3D Blu-ray Player with Wi-Fi & Samsung Apps
Remote Control

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

jacobimh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jacobimh
elmoore58 wrote:This recent release only mentions 2012 TVs but is there a chance that the newly released Amazon Instant Video App will be downloadable for this 3DBD player?

http://www.samsung.com/us/news/20302

Well I have an older Samsung that had Netflix, YouTube, Blockbuster and Amazon VOX and they removed the Amazon with an update, so I think there are some issues with the two companies. I was mad they decided to take the app away.

cyclone

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cyclone

Sorry, I'm a Roku owner (the high-end model) and I don't love it. No DLNA support, no YouTube support, clunky UI. If the streaming apps it supports are all you want it's fine, but as a general purpose streaming device, I'll take a decent $125 Blu-ray player with a good apps platform (LG, Samsung, Sony, Panasonic) over a streaming-only box any day.

countdown

quality posts: 14 Private Messages countdown
hippie19 wrote:So does this take a special TV or will it generate the 3d for any output?

You will need active 3D glasses. Also ideally a 120Hz screen (or any TV labeled 3D ready).

Considering old-school film was captured at 24Hz I would say that any TV would work, but nowadays videos are captured digitally. So you really want a 120Hz screen (60Hz for each eye).

countdown

quality posts: 14 Private Messages countdown

I would strongly recommend you check out a Google TV box. Like the Vizio Co-star.

It is a bit more expensive, but it is specifically designed for what you appear to be looking for. Also if you have any android content, this will sync up nicely with it.

Just a thought.

whitefacedsimony

quality posts: 3 Private Messages whitefacedsimony

please settle a discussion.

I cannot view 3D from this using a standard HD 1080P which has HDMI inputs. Correct?

Thank you for your replies.

drmurdoc

quality posts: 6 Private Messages drmurdoc

whats a blue ray player?

whitefacedsimony

quality posts: 3 Private Messages whitefacedsimony
StanleyS wrote:Just so no one misunderstands, Hulu Plus, Netflix, HBO Go are all pay-for-subscription apps (among many others) on the Roku. I am a Roku-from-Woot owner and am perfectly happy with using the 100s of free apps you can access.

I'm still deciding whether my DLink MovieNite Plus is better than Roku. The one thing that I can't solve is the inability on DLink's box to FF or RW on YouTube videos. The controls just don't work right. And I've updated to current.

gmckeon23

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gmckeon23
jimmyd103 wrote:That it's my question too. I would say given the state of the economy and taking into consideration the mixed reviews there are better deals to be had on black Friday or closer to Christmas. I think retailers are going to be desperate to unload overstock this year.

The problem is that if you look closely most of the really good deals on Black Friday are models that aren't that great or in some cases were made for companies like Walmart for Black Friday. You tend to get what you pay for and when you pay $40 for a Blu-ray player, you get a $40 blu-ray player more often than not. The nice thing about this player is that it is more established and didn't just materialize for Black Friday.

Personally, my DVD player is on it's last legs and I've been waiting for a player with decent features to drop under $80. Other retailers are selling this model new for well over $100. Seems like a great deal if you're not uneasy about refurbs.

Im in for one.

gmckeon23

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gmckeon23
cyclone wrote:Sorry, I'm a Roku owner (the high-end model) and I don't love it. No DLNA support, no YouTube support, clunky UI. If the streaming apps it supports are all you want it's fine, but as a general purpose streaming device, I'll take a decent $125 Blu-ray player with a good apps platform (LG, Samsung, Sony, Panasonic) over a streaming-only box any day.

I sort of feel the same way. I use my Roku and I like the idea of it but there are better streaming and multimedia devices. We got a great deal on our Roku and I don't really regret it but sometimes it gets buggy and we just turn on the Xbox. Which, by the way, is a great streaming device and has a MUCH strong app platform in terms of quality if not quantity over Roku.

fromcincinnati

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fromcincinnati
countdown wrote:I would strongly recommend you check out a Google TV box. Like the Vizio Co-star.

It is a bit more expensive, but it is specifically designed for what you appear to be looking for. Also if you have any android content, this will sync up nicely with it.

Just a thought.

I have Google TV and Roku, I like the Roku 10+ times better that the Google TV for an internet TV.

fuzzyscribble

quality posts: 8 Private Messages fuzzyscribble

I've had this player since its release...

1) Wifi is good so long as you don't have a media cabinet of doom. In my glass front cabinet it does fine. In my older cabinet with metal shelves... signal was terrible. YMMV.

2) The apps issues aren't because Samsung sucks... but because VUDU is owned by Walmart and they suck.

3) I get more reliable HD streaming with Netflix on my Samsung BR player than I do my Roku.

4) I also have a non-smart Samsung television... and it's nice being able to control the TV with the Bluray remote.

5) This is about $50 less than what I paid for mine.

darkmagician1184

quality posts: 8 Private Messages darkmagician1184
uniqke wrote:Wow I can't believe this, I just bought the E5700 model during the last woot off!! Woot, you're killin' me... =(

I know this exact feeling. I just hooked up my E5700, and then checked woot and had a "are you kidding me?" moment.

already have the 3d ready TV to boot.

flychinook

quality posts: 0 Private Messages flychinook

Will this work with "AllShare Cast" on my Galaxy S3? I know it will work with certain Samsung TVs, but I'm not sure if it will also connect with DVD players.