yathiraj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yathiraj

Does this come with HDMI cable? New one comes with HDMI cable, this one is refurbished.

dsmmrm

quality posts: 7 Private Messages dsmmrm
cole103 wrote:No Amazon VOD, no Netflix due to connection incompatibility, subpar WiFi pickup....I really wanted to like this one and need a BluRay player, but will have to pass on this. Rats.

Wifi is fine, Netflix is fine. Correct about no amazon vod, though. 1 out of 3 ain't bad.

StanleyS

quality posts: 4 Private Messages StanleyS
yathiraj wrote:Does this come with HDMI cable? New one comes with HDMI cable, this one is refurbished.

Even if it does, it probably is too short for your purpose:-(
You can get HDMI cables off of eBay, (shipped right to your door from China!) for $0.50 a foot.

stevethorpe

quality posts: 4 Private Messages stevethorpe
traquy wrote:I'm so cheesed off about HBO Go. We have HBO, pay our monthly dues but because we live in a rural area and have Bubba's cable service we will never get HBO Go because your cable company has to sign up. I really wish they would just give each subscriber a code so we could access this stuff online. It's a crappy way to treat your customers.

Never mind Boondocks Bubba's cable service ... I have Comcast XFINITY (with HBO) in the Silicon Valley, and I don't get HBO Go streamed to the Roku I bought on Woot (specifically for HBO Go; I have Netflix and most other services on the Smart TV - so that was a waste of money) nor is it streamed to this Blu Ray player by Comcast.

woodensoul

quality posts: 0 Private Messages woodensoul

Will this play .avi and .mkv files from burned DVDs or burned blu-rays? If yes, I'm in.

DerHirnFanger

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DerHirnFanger
mdrcoast wrote:No optical output for sound? Only Coaxial Digital Output? Have to really think about that one.

Ugh, that's a deal killer for me.

charwoman

quality posts: 9 Private Messages charwoman
fuzzyscribble wrote:
3) I get more reliable HD streaming with Netflix on my Samsung BR player than I do my Roku.

Does it have the newer Netflix interface that includes subtitles?

craigthom

quality posts: 62 Private Messages craigthom
DigMe wrote:No Amazon VOD is a deal-killer for me.

Both my Vizio TV and Roku do Amazan video. I much prefer the user interface on the Roku.

I have a refurbed non-3D blu-ray player that I paid about this for. I haven't played with the apps, although I have done the DLNA thing to try it out, and that worked.

pegwhipped

quality posts: 1 Private Messages pegwhipped
drmurdoc wrote:whats a blue ray player?

Do you live in a cave?

jsorr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jsorr

I'm not sure if I'm missing something. I don't see where this includes a remote. Gotta have a remote. Anyone know?

craigthom

quality posts: 62 Private Messages craigthom
jbest wrote:Anyone know if this will stream video FROM a DLNA server?

I don't know about this one, but I have a refurbed Samsung Blu-Ray player (that is not listed as one of their current models), and it saw my DLNA server (Windows Home Server 2011) without me having to do anything. It was just there on the main menu.

StanleyS

jsorr wrote:I'm not sure if I'm missing something. I don't see where this includes a remote. Gotta have a remote. Anyone know?

"In the box: Remote Control"
(Given that there are almost NO front panel buttons, how did you think you were going to access *anything*?)

bcdrawn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bcdrawn

Can you use these things with converter boxes? I don't have an HD tv.

StanleyS

bcdrawn wrote:Can you use these things with converter boxes? I don't have an HD tv.

You mean a digital converter box for OTA TV reception? That device is completely irrelevant to this DVD player. Your real problem is you won't have an HDMI input on your TV and this player only has HDMI output.
(Or, you're a troll. I'm guessing that's it.)

jsorr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jsorr
StanleyS wrote:"In the box: Remote Control"
(Given that there are almost NO front panel buttons, how did you think you were going to access *anything*?)

What a helpful soul you are. I expected to use a remote. Usually Woot includes the remote in the pictures of the sale item.

StanleyS

jsorr wrote:What a helpful soul you are. I expected to use a remote. Usually Woot includes the remote in the pictures of the sale item.

The answer you were seeking was right there in front of you. You could have just read the *entire* description, rather than expecting others to do your "research" for you.

gryhnd

quality posts: 5 Private Messages gryhnd

The first refurb'd Woot item I've ordered in a long time that actually worked OOB!

Can't comment on WiFi as mine is hardwired to my LAN in the equipment rack.

Synchs with my Samsung plasma, and if I turn on the DVD player it also turns on the TV, and then my Onkyo receiver automatically switches over to the DVD input. Totally surprised on the last one.

During initial boot and a few setup steps it found a software update. That only took a few minutes. Updates to the apps took much longer, but also completed without hassle.

Since it is my first bluray I can't make any comparisons to others, but the picture looks great and the sound is awesome. It's replacing my trusty OPPO DV-983H (not enough $$ right now to put to an Oppo BDP). I am not expecting SD-DVD quality to be comparable to the OPPO, but I haven't sat long enough to give a critical review.

I only have one Blu Ray disc right now so it's time to go shopping.

Any favorites that also sport 7.1 Surround?

pmtelt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pmtelt
yathiraj wrote:Does this come with HDMI cable? New one comes with HDMI cable, this one is refurbished.

NOPE, They don't even give you batteries for the remote!

pmtelt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pmtelt

H E Y ! Doe's anyone know how I return a defective Bl-ray player? I can not find a link on Woot's site!

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 156 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

pmtelt wrote:H E Y ! Doe's anyone know how I return a defective Bl-ray player? I can not find a link on Woot's site!

Yes, sorry about the delayed response;
We recommend that you first contact Samsung Support Center and see if they can help remedy the issue.

If they prove unhelpful, then you can contact us at support@woot.com and we'll be glad to assist you with your order.

Sincerely,
Woot Staff

Ynot303

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Ynot303
pmtelt wrote:H E Y ! Doe's anyone know how I return a defective Bl-ray player? I can not find a link on Woot's site!

Mine is defective too. It can't connect to Netflix, Pandora, etc. Those that does connect, Youtube, TMZ, doesn't play sound. I just got off an online tech chat with Samsung and he told me to open up a service request and ship it back. Very disappointed. I thought they check to make sure that it works before shipping them out.

Here is the link to Live Chat, scroll all the way down and you will see it.

http://support-us.samsung.com/cyber/popup/iframe/pop_troubleshooting_fr.jsp?idx=404784&modelname=BD-E5900&modelcode=&session_id=PxmV1S0NP09wvJSmGCs2KhhJftDTLd8xQ1qZhm4Vgfkfw2yHC3Yr%21-1721297013%211358249754%211337026133606&from_osc=

P2243

quality posts: 0 Private Messages P2243

We purchased this DVD player and it will play about half a movie then gets into this infinite skip. I have tried contacting Support about this 3 different times and each time it says I will hear something back within 24 hours. The first time I emailed was on December 8, 2012. Then again on December 11, and then again on December 17. I don't understand why they can't just provide the customer service that we as consumers expect. I work within 5 minutes from the corporate office and have called them and still cannot get an answer from them. If anyone knows a better way to get in touch with them, I would appreciate it.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
P2243 wrote:We purchased this DVD player and it will play about half a movie then gets into this infinite skip. I have tried contacting Support about this 3 different times and each time it says I will hear something back within 24 hours. The first time I emailed was on December 8, 2012. Then again on December 11, and then again on December 17. I don't understand why they can't just provide the customer service that we as consumers expect. I work within 5 minutes from the corporate office and have called them and still cannot get an answer from them. If anyone knows a better way to get in touch with them, I would appreciate it.

I would totally give support@woot.com a note and ask them to help out with your issue if Samsung is not being cooperative here.

Thanks!

I'm just hanging out, really.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
P2243 wrote:(stuff)

Hey there, you have a private message from us. Usually don't like to call it out but since they can be easy to miss, just click the envelope by your screen name. Be sure to let us know if this new info helps you!

I'm just hanging out, really.