3%
3%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootalyzer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wootalyzer

Wootalyzer's Pricing Post! - The price of today's woot item is saved here for future reference
------------------------------------------------------------
Cold Steel Folding Knife
$24.99 + $5 Standard OR $9 Two-Day OR $12 One-Day Shipping
Condition: New

*DISCLAIMER* Wootalyzer! is in no way affiliated with Woot!, and this post may not always be here!

bpr2

quality posts: 182 Private Messages bpr2

hell yes!

edit:
I've been holding off on getting the Voyager Vaquiro series due to the retail price.

Thank you woot for saving me so much money!

Also, I really would love to buy the 4th version of the knife, but can't!

CowboyDann

quality posts: 716 Private Messages CowboyDann

I always forget knife laws, is a 3" blade legal to carry just about anywhere? I had a 3.5 inch blade but I think it was the fact that it was a fixed blade that made it illegal.

I know different counties will be stricter but I am just asking, overall a 3" folding knife is a safe deal in most of the USA, right?

bpr2

CowboyDann wrote:I always forget knife laws, is a 3" blade legal to carry just about anywhere? I had a 3.5 inch blade but I think it was the fact that it was a fixed blade that made it illegal.

I know different counties will be stricter but I am just asking, overall a 3" folding knife is a safe deal in most of the USA, right?

In CA, it's a myth that a folder knife has to be under a certain length.
Folders can be any length as long as it's not concealed. Hence the pocket clip.

CuzzinMerl

quality posts: 24 Private Messages CuzzinMerl
CowboyDann wrote:I always forget knife laws, is a 3" blade legal to carry just about anywhere? I had a 3.5 inch blade but I think it was the fact that it was a fixed blade that made it illegal.

In Seattle, it is a capital offense to carry a 3" folding knife even if it is closed.

todmacher

quality posts: 3 Private Messages todmacher

I have a Cold Steel Recon 1. Top notch quality and durability. It's been a chisel, screwdriver, prybar, etc.
I was raised on Buck knifes, but have since converted. I love my Buck, but I wouldn't trust it like I do my Cold Steel.

CowboyDann

quality posts: 716 Private Messages CowboyDann
bpr2 wrote:In CA, it's a myth that a folder knife has to be under a certain length.
Folders can be any length as long as it's not concealed. Hence the pocket clip.

Thanks for the heads up

pz@woot

quality posts: 7 Private Messages pz@woot

Hmmm...description says "Tri-Ad® lock mechanism which is arguably the strongest, most reliable, low maintenance lock in the world"

this means its "arguably" the weakest, most unreliable, high maintenance lock as well, right?

Signature oh signature, cannot think
of something clever...

mayh658

quality posts: 27 Private Messages mayh658

Good evening folks. Ol' mayh658 is a Cold Steel fan from back in the day. He carries a Pro-Lite from 2004 that still works just as fine as the day it came from the factory. Here's the thing about these knives: the steel is of a good quality, the locking mechanisms are decent, the handles are acceptable, and the price is tough to beat. In short, at this price point you won't find better quality.

For those who are uncomfortable with sharpening their own knives, the serrated blades will probably treat you better. For those who are uncomfortable or unsure about purchasing the larger size, keep in mind that it's designed to sit closed in your pocket. Chances are good that you'll hardly notice the smaller one is there (that's what she said), but you may feel that a 5.25" closed knife is a bit much to carry in the pocket.

UtilityCow

quality posts: 6 Private Messages UtilityCow
CuzzinMerl wrote:In Seattle, it is a capital offense to carry a 3" folding knife even if it is closed.

That's why I live in Florida!

AUS-8, but made in Taiwan. Thirty bucks seems a little high. Just bought some Chinese knives during woot off for ten bucks each.

pz@woot

CuzzinMerl wrote:In Seattle, it is a capital offense to carry a 3" folding knife even if it is closed.

You don't actually mean "capital" offense, right? That is defined as "punishable by death"

of something clever...

bpr2

pz@woot wrote:Hmmm...description says "Tri-Ad® lock mechanism which is arguably the strongest, most reliable, low maintenance lock in the world"

this means its "arguably" the weakest, most unreliable, high maintenance lock as well, right?

Not at all. Lynn Thompson, the owner of Cold Steel prides himself on how durable and reliable his products are. He always wants the best out of his products, and wont sell crud.

UtilityCow

quality posts: 6 Private Messages UtilityCow
pz@woot wrote:You don't actually mean "capital" offense, right? That is defined as "punishable by death"

Corporal offense? "Punishable by spanking"

CuzzinMerl

pz@woot wrote:You don't actually mean "capital" offense, right? That is defined as "punishable by death"

Yes, literrally.

Streiff

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Streiff

In Minnesota, it's expected that you carry a 3" folding knife that closes. We need them to fight off the giant mosquitoes.

mrln

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mrln

Seattle has the death penalty for merely carrying a folder? I find that hard to believe.

CuzzinMerl

CuzzinMerl wrote:Yes, literrally.

However, I regret making the comment because some people here will find it upsetting.

And it's off topic anyway, so maybe the mods can remove it.

Colorodo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Colorodo

Where are they built?

eatingjuice

quality posts: 7 Private Messages eatingjuice

Warning: Is sharp.

hilltim

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hilltim

Knife laws generally cover mostly if the knife is concealed or not. In most states 3.25" and less can be legally carried concealed in city limits. If over the legal length, the knife must be carried unconcealed (top of knife and belt clip or knife sheath visible. Usually not so important if fixed blade or folder. Each state and county has it's own rules. Here in Oregon knife laws are liberal (automatic knives are legal, unconcealed). Every state I am aware of considers double edged blades illegal (no daggers) to carry. Here in Oregon, technically Japanese swords are street legal, as long as you carry them unconcealed (I strongly suggest not to do this). Col Steel has long made strong, durable blades.

Remember - It all works out in the end. If it's not working out, it's not the end.

mayh658

quality posts: 27 Private Messages mayh658
Colorodo wrote:Where are they built?

Taiwan.

madbomber48

quality posts: 0 Private Messages madbomber48

In seattle WA it is worded legally as a "dangerous knife" that is illegal to carry and in seattle law, a "dangerous knife" is defined as any knife fixed blade or otherwise exceeding 3 1/2 inches in length.

mrln

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mrln
CuzzinMerl wrote:However, I regret making the comment because some people here will find it upsetting.

Because if that law exists, it's a violation of the 8th amendment of the Constitution.

hiteklolife

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hiteklolife
pz@woot wrote:Hmmm...description says "Tri-Ad® lock mechanism which is arguably the strongest, most reliable, low maintenance lock in the world"

Quite the opposite, the Tri-Ad lock is awesome. Cold Steel even has some videos testing the strength of the Tri-Ad lock.

This is a great deal. In for one!

CuzzinMerl

mrln wrote:Because if that law exists, it's a violation of the 8th amendment of the Constitution.

Actually, I was referring to an incident that happened here a couple years ago. I am completely unfamiliar with the law.

snizzor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages snizzor
CuzzinMerl wrote:Yes, literrally.

Not true. This information is incorrect.

wd6cmu

quality posts: 7 Private Messages wd6cmu

The blade's not my style, too much curve. But more importantly, I don't trust that style of lock, I've had knives fold up on me when those locks wore and failed.

bpr2

wd6cmu wrote:The blade's not my style, too much curve. But more importantly, I don't trust that style of lock, I've had knives fold up on me when those locks wore and failed.

Have you tried the Cold Steel though? I've heavily used my Cold Steel Raja 2 with try-ad lock for a couple of years now, and besides having to resharpen the blade, the locking mech. has never given out.

gregbowman

quality posts: 44 Private Messages gregbowman

I believe the poster is saying it is a "capital offense" in that there have been multiple instances of "death by cop" for not complying with a police order and dropping a knife in Washington State. Arguably, he is making a reference to a quite notorious case where the gentleman was hard of hearing, if memory serves me correctly, and he was shot to death without provocation in broad daylight by a Seattle police officer for no other reason other than that he had a knife in his possession.

Many people in Seattle refer to any knife made / sold for carry (folding or not) as a "bullet magnet" due to these incidents.

In fairness, the poster was (admittedly, by his wanting his comment pulled) trolling. However, the Washington State authorities have a tradition of meeting blades with bullets . . . More-so than in other jurisdictions.

bookofjoshua

quality posts: 12 Private Messages bookofjoshua

Nutnfancy gives them a 9.5 out of 10 on his scale, and offers up an in depth review.

**warning he can talk**

[MOD: Embedded the video for you.]

mikop168

quality posts: 9 Private Messages mikop168

Is tossing a folding blade in your backpack/tool bag consider concealed and punishable by whatever law applicable?

sorry, the closest I've been to knives are steak knives...

Los Angeles, CA

pz@woot

CuzzinMerl wrote:Actually, I was referring to an incident that happened here a couple years ago. I am completely unfamiliar with the law.

Found that when I searched web. And I wasn't upset, my first comment/question was more about grammar and questioning whether you used a word unintentionally. Any sale of a knife like this often brings questions about the related laws and those are relevant in my take on things.

of something clever...

Animorganimate

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Animorganimate

My only dilemma is whether I should get a plain blade or serrated blade. If I plan on using this knife as my hiking/camping knife, I would think serrated would be the way to go, right?

bpr2

http://zknives.com/knives/articles/law/caknifelaws.shtml
(white text on black background alert)

mikop168 wrote:Is tossing a folding blade in your backpack/tool bag consider concealed and punishable by whatever law applicable?

sorry, the closest I've been to knives are steak knives...

Los Angeles, CA

pz@woot

bpr2 wrote:Not at all. Lynn Thompson, the owner of Cold Steel prides himself on how durable and reliable his products are. He always wants the best out of his products, and wont sell crud.

Sorry, wasn't meant as a serious comment. I was trying to make a bit of a joke about the wording. FAIL!

of something clever...

bpr2

No worries mate!

pz@woot wrote:Sorry, wasn't meant as a serious comment. I was trying to make a bit of a joke about the wording. FAIL!

mikop168

quality posts: 9 Private Messages mikop168
bpr2 wrote:http://zknives.com/knives/articles/law/caknifelaws.shtml
(white text on black background alert)

Thanks so much. What I gather from it are
"PC 16470 - Deals with the street carry laws. more importantly, can't carry folding knife in open/locked position - ...only if the blade of the knife is exposed and locked into position. Therefore folders, carried closed and concealed are legal. No length limitation.

State California allows for concealed carry of the folding knives and there is no limit to the blade length"

However, it seem to conflict with your earlier post?
"Folders can be any length as long as it's not concealed. Hence the pocket clip."

Again, I apologize if it is clear and I am just too thick to see it. This is all new to me but since Woot has been featuring a lot of knives lately, sort of got me interested in owning one.

bookofjoshua

quality posts: 12 Private Messages bookofjoshua
Animorganimate wrote:My only dilemma is whether I should get a plain blade or serrated blade. If I plan on using this knife as my hiking/camping knife, I would think serrated would be the way to go, right?

I wouldn't get serrated personally, its horrible to sharpen and this type is awful, I'd stick with a plain edge, it's really easy to get your edge back on the go, you can throw a little diamond rod in your pack if you need to clean up the edge while you're out in the woods.

I would think serration would make things like whittling sticks difficult .