bpr2

quality posts: 181 Private Messages bpr2

My previous comment was regarding on person carry (in your pants ect)

What you're asking is about bag carry, and yes you can toss your folder into your bag, car's glove compartment. You can even put a stickie note with the code on it for any cop that pokes around.

I've heard too many horror stories of cops that are not aware of folding knife laws hassling people during searches, so I always advocate the clip being visible if being carried on person.

edit:
Sorry for any confusion

mikop168 wrote:Thanks so much. What I gather from it are
"PC 16470 - Deals with the street carry laws. more importantly, can't carry folding knife in open/locked position - ...only if the blade of the knife is exposed and locked into position. Therefore folders, carried closed and concealed are legal. No length limitation.

State California allows for concealed carry of the folding knives and there is no limit to the blade length"

However, it seem to conflict with your earlier post?
"Folders can be any length as long as it's not concealed. Hence the pocket clip."

Again, I apologize if it is clear and I am just too thick to see it. This is all new to me but since Woot has been featuring a lot of knives lately, sort of got me interested in owning one.
that was fun while it lasted!

KKadow

quality posts: 9 Private Messages KKadow
hilltim wrote:Every state I am aware of considers double edged blades illegal (no daggers) to carry.

Not every state -- one exception is New Hampshire, which has NO knife laws. Possession and carry of any type of knife is legal, including dirks and daggers. New Hampshire has statewide preemption, forbids counties/cities/etc from passing their own more restrictive laws regarding knives.

To research what is legal in your state, check http://pweb.netcom.com/~brlevine/sta-law.htm

bookofjoshua

quality posts: 12 Private Messages bookofjoshua
bookofjoshua wrote:
[MOD: Embedded the video for you.]

What if I didn't want it embedded...errr.. I mean.. Thank you, how very kind!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 563 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

bookofjoshua wrote:What if I didn't want it embedded...errr.. I mean.. Thank you, how very kind!

Lol. Just wanted to show off your find!

FORUM MODERATOR.............ON VACATION!
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

mrln

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mrln
CuzzinMerl wrote:Actually, I was referring to an incident that happened here a couple years ago. I am completely unfamiliar with the law.

There are better ways than being deliberately vague, misleading, and misinforming.

bpr2

quality posts: 181 Private Messages bpr2
ThunderThighs wrote:Lol. Just wanted to show off your find!

A very good find indeed. There are many video reviews, but the one that was posted above takes the cake as the most thorough!

that was fun while it lasted!

Adrenalynn333

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Adrenalynn333

I carried Cold Steel for as long as they've been around. I _loved_ my Top Sight Signature Tanto for _ever_. I purchased a Voyager XL Tanto to replace it, and gosh, the steel isn't what it used to be.

That said - the lock isn't going to fail, even with "reasonable abuse". I'm not happy with the pitting and chipping of the blade edge though.

taxwizard

quality posts: 8 Private Messages taxwizard

In for one ! A Cold Steel fan since the early 90's when I bought my first Shinobu Tanto Lockback in San Mai Steel.

odiedawg

quality posts: 2 Private Messages odiedawg

I've been a cold steel fan ever since I bought my first Gunsite tanto folder. These are the best tactical folding knives in the world, "for the money". And when I say that, I'm not being sarcastic. I love these knives. Do a search on YouTube for cold steel knife pull ups. You won't be sorry.

mikeymac

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mikeymac

"Shipping Note: Due to restrictions, we are unable to ship this product to certain Zip Codes. Please see list of Zip Codes here"

My zip code is on the list. Well, dang.

charliecarroll

quality posts: 105 Private Messages charliecarroll
CuzzinMerl wrote:In Seattle, it is a capital offense to carry a 3" folding knife even if it is closed.

"Capital offense"? They will put you on death row? lol

Could you possibly mean it is a felony?

Markguns

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Markguns
CowboyDann wrote:I always forget knife laws, is a 3" blade legal to carry just about anywhere? I had a 3.5 inch blade but I think it was the fact that it was a fixed blade that made it illegal.

I know different counties will be stricter but I am just asking, overall a 3" folding knife is a safe deal in most of the USA, right?

CHL and I don't worry about it....

mdnorman

quality posts: 50 Private Messages mdnorman

I really do NOT need another knife.

kuma99

quality posts: 9 Private Messages kuma99

Do these ship to New York ?

danchall

quality posts: 0 Private Messages danchall
gregbowman wrote:I believe the poster is saying it is a "capital offense" in that there have been multiple instances of "death by cop" for not complying with a police order and dropping a knife in Washington State. Arguably, he is making a reference to a quite notorious case where the gentleman was hard of hearing, if memory serves me correctly, and he was shot to death without provocation in broad daylight by a Seattle police officer for no other reason other than that he had a knife in his possession.

Many people in Seattle refer to any knife made / sold for carry (folding or not) as a "bullet magnet" due to these incidents.

In fairness, the poster was (admittedly, by his wanting his comment pulled) trolling. However, the Washington State authorities have a tradition of meeting blades with bullets . . . More-so than in other jurisdictions.

One of my favorite newspaper headlines of all time: "Cop Shoots Man with Knife."

===dan

bookofjoshua

quality posts: 12 Private Messages bookofjoshua
Markguns wrote:CHL and I don't worry about it....

I assume CHL stands for "Concealed Handgun License". In WA we have CPL "Concealed Pistol License"... Which only applies to a Handgun/Pistol.. Some states have a CWL "Concealed Weapon License" does your state license allow for concealing items other than a handgun/pistol?

Eric379

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Eric379

I'm so glad there's not a knife.woot.com! I'd be broke... In for 2.

Major knife buyer/collector/carrier needs an intervention soon.

But seriously, I own several Cold Steel knives in my collection. They're all top quality, solidly built knives that will out last many others if well cared for. This is a great deal on the Voyagers.

SurplusHP

quality posts: 7 Private Messages SurplusHP

I'll pass on watching a 30 minute video. I'll check back later if someone tells me at what point in the video Mr. I-bet-he's-armed-on-campus reviews the knife.

SuperNinja

quality posts: 18 Private Messages SuperNinja
pz@woot wrote:You don't actually mean "capital" offense, right? That is defined as "punishable by death"

It depends on how mentally unstable the cop is.

jsorr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jsorr

For those of you concerned with the blade shape: That blade with the full serrated edge is perfect for cutting rope, other items that a straight, smooth edged blade would not work as well on. A note: It appears the smaller blade does not have a lanyard hole. If you plan on using this knife in a boat or near water that lanyard can save you if you drop it.

coldbulldog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages coldbulldog

I've used cold steel knives for years including both of the old style 4in voyagers (which were straight) with both metal and plastic pocket clip. The legend that cold steel built for themselves was based on economical price and unprecedented quality due in part to durability of their japanese steel. The blades made in japan have this stamped into the steel just beneath the knife model. Newer knives are made in Taiwan I believe and lack this japan stamping. I've been a cold steel fan for most of my adult life, but will now be buying benchmade or buck due to this lower quality steel. If you can find older voyagers or recon's I endorse them without reservation.

It's a shame, their products were simply amazing for so long and now their prices have gone up and their quality hasn't.

datruedave

quality posts: 1 Private Messages datruedave
todmacher wrote:I have a Cold Steel Recon 1. It's been a chisel, screwdriver, prybar, etc.
I was raised on Buck knifes, but have since converted. I love my Buck, but I wouldn't trust it like I do my Cold Steel.

Using Cold Steel knives as chisels, screwdrivers and prybars is an EXCELLENT idea. They are not knives that you want to use for serious cutting. I borrowed my coworker's Cold Steel Vaquero to look at and the Tri-Ad bladelock didn't work at all. BE CAREFUL IF YOU GET ONE OF THESE!

Then I went to BladeForums.com and found out that knife enthusiasts have a very poor opinion of Cold Steel.

I'll wait for Woot to sell some more Kershaw knives. I wouldn't take a free Cold Steel knife. If you paid me, I'd take one, but then I'd just throw it away and keep your money.

sintz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sintz

I've been carrying carbon steel knives all my life. I have a Schrade 3" now that I bought 20 years ago. Only needs sharpening once a year of so after many uses through copper wire and everything imaginable. I had to buy two, 3" and 4" both straight blades. The 3" is even a little bulkier than the Schrade but it may the a replacement. These are top quality knives with may pros. The 4" I'll keep with all my other knives in the gun safe.

PapaMidnight

quality posts: 4 Private Messages PapaMidnight
mayh658 wrote:Good evening folks. Ol' mayh658 is a Cold Steel fan from back in the day. He carries a Pro-Lite from 2004 that still works just as fine as the day it came from the factory. Here's the thing about these knives: the steel is of a good quality, the locking mechanisms are decent, the handles are acceptable, and the price is tough to beat. In short, at this price point you won't find better quality.

For those who are uncomfortable with sharpening their own knives, the serrated blades will probably treat you better. For those who are uncomfortable or unsure about purchasing the larger size, keep in mind that it's designed to sit closed in your pocket. Chances are good that you'll hardly notice the smaller one is there (that's what she said), but you may feel that a 5.25" closed knife is a bit much to carry in the pocket.

It is interesting you say that. In some states, it is illegal to even openly carry a knife measuring more than 3.25". Of course, other states are even more strict about it stating a blade of 3" or more, and then there's Florida where it's pretty much carry whatever you want so long as it is not used for illicit purposes (or illegally concealed).

6 years bag-of-crapless and counting...

Mescalero

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Mescalero
CuzzinMerl wrote:In Seattle, it is a capital offense to carry a 3" folding knife even if it is closed.

A "capital" offense? That must have you seeing red huh?

vladistov

quality posts: 51 Private Messages vladistov
bpr2 wrote:In CA, it's a myth that a folder knife has to be under a certain length.
Folders can be any length as long as it's not concealed. Hence the pocket clip.

California has surprisingly lenient knife laws, though that certainly does not excuse the restrictions they do have. It's firearms they're really harsh on. It seems to me mostly about having an excuse to arrest punks for their ridiculous weapons of choice, such as balisongs and switchblades.

I prefer a shillelagh, myself; nobody hassles you for it, and they're far more effective for defense. And speaking of Cold Steel, they actually make one of polypropylene that isn't half bad once you get used to the weight.

Anyway, it's difficult to beat Cold Steel in quality for your dollar. They take the effort to make some persuasive, if not comical, proofs of their products involving hacking, slashing, and stabbing of everything from manilla to car-doors to whole pigs. Just head over to YouTube for a look at those lucky grown-men enjoying the carnage most of us are forced to leave behind at some point, at least while the wives are looking.

So, I'm not very fond of such pronounced clip-points in a pocket-knife; but if you are, you won't be disappointed in this model, not at this price.

vladistov

quality posts: 51 Private Messages vladistov

Old models; some used to be hollow-ground (featured was always flat):

New models; 'R & D' video:

kimmysy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kimmysy

A capital offense? So you can be put to death for carrying a knife? Really?

kimmysy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kimmysy
mrln wrote:Seattle has the death penalty for merely carrying a folder? I find that hard to believe.

Since when does a city have the death penalty? That sentence is reserved for state or federal governments as I recall.

B8A

quality posts: 2 Private Messages B8A

I have owned the voyager tanto serrated folding knife for 17 years. I have neither abused nor coddled it. It can still cut seat belt straps with a single stroke, saw a can in half, and still looks brand new.

Best purchase ever.

nicolasbeatty

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nicolasbeatty
Animorganimate wrote:My only dilemma is whether I should get a plain blade or serrated blade. If I plan on using this knife as my hiking/camping knife, I would think serrated would be the way to go, right?

I always liked the serrated to cut through rope or tougher materials... however, if you want a clean cut or to whittle a hiking stick, serrated is less ideal. The teeth on this serrated look quite intriguing though, my serrated knives are 1/2 and 1/2...

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 95 Private Messages radi0j0hn

You Are joking, right?

capital offense n. any criminal charge which is punishable by the death penalty, called "capital" since the defendant could lose his/her head (Latin for caput). Crimes punishable by death vary from state to state and country to country. In some American states these offenses may include first degree murder (premeditated), murder with special circumstances (such as intentional, multiple, involved with another crime, with guns, of a police officer, or a repeat offense), and terrible act with additional bodily harm, and the federal crime of treason. A charge of a capital offense usually means no bail will be allowed.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

mrln

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mrln
kimmysy wrote:Since when does a city have the death penalty? That sentence is reserved for state or federal governments as I recall.

Hence why my post, that which you're replying to, both questioned and doubted the claim.

gregbowman

quality posts: 44 Private Messages gregbowman

Do you guys even RTFT? Seriously . . . he's trolling.

gregbowman

quality posts: 44 Private Messages gregbowman
vladistov wrote:Old models; used to be hollow-ground:

[...]

New models; 'R & D' video:

Sold me, in for two. Worst case, if I don't care for them I'll cast them off as cheap Xmas presents to someone that wouldn't know the difference and just uses a knife to open the occasional shipping box.

reduxion

quality posts: 2 Private Messages reduxion

If anyone needs the actual Seattle municipal code:

SMC 12A.14.010

C. "Dangerous knife" means any fixed-blade knife and any other knife having
a blade more than three and one-half inches (3 1/2") in length.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 563 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

kuma99 wrote:Do these ship to New York ?

Depends on where you live. At the bottom of the Features tab on the sale page, there's a shipping note with a link to the zip codes we can't ship to for this sale. It's a long list. Sigh.

Carry on with your discussion now. Enjoy.

FORUM MODERATOR.............ON VACATION!
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

molex

quality posts: 7 Private Messages molex
CuzzinMerl wrote:Yes, literrally.

That's absolutely ridiculous. You are saying that in Seattle possession of a 3" pocket knife is a death penalty offense. That is absurd on it's face.

whatwouldjimbodo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages whatwouldjimbodo

the way the law is written in chicago the folding knives are only illegal if you commit a crime, its not a crime to have it. itll just be added on to whatever crime you just committed. its 2.5 inch blade here thou

sintz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sintz

Excellent videos vladistov.