ikisat

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ikisat

So far about all I've learned from reading through this thread is that no one is aware that Cold Steel is not the quality they used to be, their steel is lower quality as is their build. Also that almost everyone who views Cold Steel threads is completely devoid of a sense of humor as not a single joke I saw that was made didn't turn into the person having to apologize for making a joke or post several times explaining the joke.

vladistov

quality posts: 51 Private Messages vladistov
sintz wrote:Excellent videos vladistov.

Cold Steel is very good about videos; with most brands, you have to wait for the amateurs to provide such demonstrations. They also keep active in the YouTube comments.

ngc6475

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ngc6475

In for one. Build quality and blade material are good, the price is right, and it is not a capital offense in my neighborhood to carry a 3" knife in my pocket. Maybe I shoulda ordered two...

"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

bullsbay

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bullsbay

What's happened here?

mebekili

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mebekili

A capital offense? really? They'll kill you for it? I don't think so.

CuzzinMerl wrote:In Seattle, it is a capital offense to carry a 3" folding knife even if it is closed.

joknrok

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joknrok

Dammit it hurts to see such a purty blade, oooh lemme look closer at your wicked lines... "Voyager", hmmm, I'd like to take you on a voyage... "Cold Steel", mmmm, cold as ice and twice as nice... oooh, what's that? Fine print? Is that your alloy name? No? Are you so precious you have a serial number saying how unique you are?? No... no wait.. "TAIWAN"!?!?!?...NOOOOOOO.
>>>>Like blindly fondling your way to third base, heart pounding with the pleasure of silky smooth firm femininity, and then WHAACK!! The bulge, where there should be no bulge, smacks your lust hypnotized brain like a pickaxe wired to a 10,000 volt transformer;- never to trust without checking the fine print again.
DAM why can't they make'em like they're s'posed to be. Loud and proud "MADE IN THE USA". Cos your life might depend on that blade someday; and if it snaps like an icicle in a knife fight with a crackhead, the money saved to pad the margins of Buck, Cold Steel, CRKT, and now even sometimes my beloved Kershaw(!!) aint gonna seem like good business anymore. Come back to America you pansies!
Ok I'm kidding (partly). Guess it's time for me to start making my own and stop relying on the old fashioned way.
But seriously, Woot!, how bout a real USA made Kershaw up here once in a while. Please!
Thanks
-Jon

jameslanger

quality posts: 6 Private Messages jameslanger

Got the blade today, I purchased the 3" non serrated. Not terribly impressed. $25 was a good price but frankly it feels like a cheap chinese knock off I can pick up at the flea market. I have a couple other Cold Steel products (bushman survival knife, and the Katana machete) both were much better quality and more inexpensive than the list price on this knife.
The knife is already slightly oxidized, as is the main pivot bolt for the action.
The locking mechanism engages well, but is tough to disengage. It doesn't seem like a "breaking it in issue either".
Well, at least I only spent $30 on it, though I probably will be a little wary of any newer cold steel product.

mdnorman

quality posts: 52 Private Messages mdnorman
jameslanger wrote:Got the blade today, I purchased the 3" non serrated. Not terribly impressed. $25 was a good price but frankly it feels like a cheap chinese knock off I can pick up at the flea market. I have a couple other Cold Steel products (bushman survival knife, and the Katana machete) both were much better quality and more inexpensive than the list price on this knife.
The knife is already slightly oxidized, as is the main pivot bolt for the action.
The locking mechanism engages well, but is tough to disengage. It doesn't seem like a "breaking it in issue either".
Well, at least I only spent $30 on it, though I probably will be a little wary of any newer cold steel product.

Are you sure that what you are calling "slight oxidation" is not the "satin" finish?

toycardriver

quality posts: 3 Private Messages toycardriver

I got mine yesterday and the thing I like is that this is the first knife I've gotten from Woot that is "shaving sharp" right out of the box.

jameslanger

quality posts: 6 Private Messages jameslanger
mdnorman wrote:Are you sure that what you are calling "slight oxidation" is not the "satin" finish?

No it's pretty clearly oxidization, I have a number of other carbon blades and they are similarly oxidized, just not brand new out of the box. The other bolts on the handle are satin finished and look quite different.

Mind you the blade was amazingly sharp, I was just amazed that it was already oxidized on me.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
jameslanger wrote:No it's pretty clearly oxidization, I have a number of other carbon blades and they are similarly oxidized, just not brand new out of the box. The other bolts on the handle are satin finished and look quite different.

Mind you the blade was amazingly sharp, I was just amazed that it was already oxidized on me.

You might want to contact the manufacturer for a replacement, if you're not down with the oxidation. Or support@woot.com for your options.

I'm just hanging out, really.

astondb4gtz

quality posts: 3 Private Messages astondb4gtz

Received mine today, and my feeling is a resounding "meh".

They are sharp, but I find the ergonomics aren't great at least on the large version - the medium is a bit better. Overall I think I prefer my Woot Kershaw at 1/2 the price. Time will tell though.

2006-2012: 7 Burgandy Olfactory Center#39;s and lotsa other crappy stuff