Bosko

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Bosko
Helterran wrote:i dont think i will ever win, i am not as photoshop person... 100% of my work has been with just paint and orginal creation...

Buck up little soldier! Turn that frown upside down! Turn those rainy eyes into sunny skies!

There have been winners made with paint. Most of the time the judges pick an entry because it makes them laugh, not because it was well made. And I think a lot of it depends on how much tequila is still in their veins from the bender of the night before. Sometimes the winners are witty and creative. Other times, ya can't help but wonder if they had the computer on when they were judging. There is one hard fast rule to these contests: THERE ARE NO HARD FAST RULES TO WHAT CAN WIN.

So hang in there! Git 'er done! When the going gets tough, the tough get going! <Insert more witless cliches here>

Sometimes old people just need a change. I wondered what that smell was.

wizard7926

quality posts: 4 Private Messages wizard7926
pixelvisions wrote:to be honest, the ONLY thing I see up there that should have gotten any recognition at all was the "Old Yeller" -- and it only received a monkey prize?

I don't think any of us can argue that the Old Yeller entry is one hell of a photochop, possibly the best this week. But the problem is, he didn't follow the rules of the contest, plain and simple, which is why he got the monkey. I mean, I could go into more detail about what a historical figure is, but it's been hashed and rehashed so much that it's a moot point.

I know the judging does not have to be completely based on "popular opinion" -- but doesn't anybody else think this is a little funny?

They say it every week that they can make up the rules as they go along. If you don't like those rules, then don't bother entering and complaining about it later. There's no hard and fast rules to woot photoshopping contests, plain and simple.

Mnementh's other entry was so much superior to the one picked... it isn't even funny.

True.

The "pixelvisions" login will never win anything... and it has been officially proven during this contest.

I'll sugarcoat this: your entry didn't exactly capture what Vlad would do with rolls of paper. Are they sharper than spears? No. Lighter? Stronger? Faster? Deadlier? No. It just didn't capture the essence of the contest well enough to deserve a top spot over those that won.

Look at the entries again, people... and carefully read my comments. If you still think I am full of "it" or myself... then you are spineless sheep. I will continue to fight the good fight.

Well, I guess I'm gonna have to call myself a spineless sheep. We all have differences of opinion, but you've made yours too vocal and ignorant for me to see your side of the story. And exactly what good fight are you fighting? You're not swaying anyone, you're just making yourself look like a fool. You're losing the battle and at this rate, you certainly aren't going to win the war.

jessiebyrd004

quality posts: 52 Private Messages jessiebyrd004

some people have just too much time on their hands... yipes.

I do a daily woot blog where I talk about the woot, link to CSEs, find reviews, etc. A few people have told me it's useful. Google "useful linkage" and there it is.

gechapin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gechapin

djslack

quality posts: 15 Private Messages djslack

Congratulations Pixelvisions. You win the prize for most whining about not winning ever. I think that most of us do it for fun; it's as entertaining to create a work to demonstrate a humorous concept (or humorless, depending on the entrant) as it is to look at all the entries.

danielem1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages danielem1
killingtime wrote:

I'm not being wise, but I am wondering how you feel I could have improved my entry to incorporate "how they would use it?" Should I have been more literal and had him pour a drink from the product?

I totally commend curiouskangaroo's Napoleon entry, I know how difficult it was to manipulate the background as it had so many intricate items in it. Luckily, I only had to manipulate the areas around his arms, mid-section and upper leg. curiouskangaroo had to manipulate the background all the way around his body. It wasn't an easy feat as he/she previously mentioned.

I really can't complain...co-monkeyship with KMA is the coolest!

Gosh, I guess it wasn't so obvious, I didn't look at the entry and say "oh that's why he had his hand like that" I just looked at it and said, gee you added the soy milk maker and said he was lactose intolerant. My bad.

danielem1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages danielem1
pixelvisions wrote:... to be honest, the ONLY thing I see up there that should have gotten any recognition at all was the "Old Yeller" -- and it only received a monkey prize?

That's just funny, how do you expect to win a contest if you don't read the contest subject and understand it.

And also, I resent the implication that any of the winners, especially myself, personally know any of the judges.
Jason, if you're reading this, I need your paypal email please

EarlyToBed

quality posts: 0 Private Messages EarlyToBed

Good choices on the winners this week. JoeDeeDee was my pick for number one as soon as I saw it.

I am missing the joke on the Ben entry. Necklace, watch, and soy... I don't get it. Can someone help me out.

Minimum Rage

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Minimum Rage
EarlyToBed wrote:Good choices on the winners this week. JoeDeeDee was my pick for number one as soon as I saw it.

I am missing the joke on the Ben entry. Necklace, watch, and soy... I don't get it. Can someone help me out.

Just a cheesy picture. The necklace was used in place of Franklin's key since silver is such a great conductor of electricity. In the original photo there was a pot next to him so it was just an opportunity to sneak another Woot-off item in to the photo (not to mention the watch that the kid is wearing).

I very nearly gave up on this photo because to make the proportions correct on the necklace it would have been impossible to see so I had to make it freakishly large. But I am very appreciative of the HM. Keep on Wootin'!

JoeDeeDee

quality posts: 1 Private Messages JoeDeeDee

Okay, who's the one with the voodoo doll?? I woke up this morning covered from head to toe in an itchy, ugly rash! Obviously the work of some disgruntled photochopper. Anyone gonna 'fess up?

*GASP!* or maybe it's God getting me back for my Jesus-themed entry! Yikes, I'm in trouble now!

elijahdprophet

quality posts: 0 Private Messages elijahdprophet
Targetcat66 wrote:Targetcat will return. I took the week off to move across country. See ya Ohio, Hello New Mexico!

New Mexico?!?!?!?

Where? I'm in Abq near the University.

Proteus_Crow

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Proteus_Crow
JoeDeeDee wrote:Okay, who's the one with the voodoo doll?? I woke up this morning covered from head to toe in an itchy, ugly rash! Obviously the work of some disgruntled photochopper. Anyone gonna 'fess up?

*GASP!* or maybe it's God getting me back for my Jesus-themed entry! Yikes, I'm in trouble now!

Did you eat Fugu for dinner by any chance?

The Nobel Peace Prize?! I'd *KILL* for one of those!

ertolsma

quality posts: 13 Private Messages ertolsma
pixelvisions wrote:

You don't have to point out the other snubbings to me... it is obvious, isn't it? Take a look at all of the pictures that were picked again... to be honest, the ONLY thing I see up there that should have gotten any recognition at all was the "Old Yeller" -- and it only received a monkey prize?

Here are the facts:

• Out of the MANY, MANY, MANY posts commenting on how somebody liked an entry, thought it was clever, etc... The top three cash winners received exactly NONE of them. You heard me... NONE, ZERO, ZILTCH -- I know the judging does not have to be completely based on "popular opinion" -- but doesn't anybody else think this is a little funny? Not funny "Ha Ha" -- Funny QUEER!
  • Mnementh's other entry was so much superior to the one picked... it isn't even funny.
  • The "pixelvisions" login will never win anything because Mr. Toon enjoys snubbing my entries. He has mentioned this fact in earlier posts... and it has been officially proven during this contest. Nothing like fair, unbiased judging -- I say. If you want to complain, make sure you make an alias so you are not added to the "snubbed" list as well.
  • If the judges are not using the dart board method for picking these (or just awarding prizes to employees/friends), then they are just plain stupid.
  • Hardly anyone around here has the balls to tell it like it is... in fact, some people around here are going to cause Mr. Toon to suffer through a nosectomy -- and not from his face.

Look at the entries again, people... and carefully read my comments. If you still think I am full of "it" or myself... then you are spineless sheep.

I am sure I will get "flamed" by a few folks around here -- but I wonder if they might be Woot employees or Judges or Friends of Judges (a.k.a. past winners) or just ignorant. In any event, I will continue to fight the good fight.

Granos

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Granos
gechapin wrote:(snip) I don't enter to make a living (!) at the Woot100; I enter 'cause I enjoy Woot.com and the folks here, it is part of Woot.com and wooting in general, and it's fun. If I could woot more, I'd woot, but the budget says no; so I 'chop. (snip)

I couldn't agree more, gechapin. I'm not a professional graphics person (I only know enough Photoshop to be dangerous) but I enjoy taking part in these contests. And if I win one, that's great. If winning ever comes before having fun, I hope I'll have the good sense to stop entering these contests.

u2wedge

quality posts: 0 Private Messages u2wedge
Minimum Rage wrote:

Just a cheesy picture. The necklace was used in place of Franklin's key since silver is such a great conductor of electricity. In the original photo there was a pot next to him so it was just an opportunity to sneak another Woot-off item in to the photo (not to mention the watch that the kid is wearing).

I very nearly gave up on this photo because to make the proportions correct on the necklace it would have been impossible to see so I had to make it freakishly large. But I am very appreciative of the HM. Keep on Wootin'!

And technically the watch wasn't in the Woot off... I had it in one of my entries before someone pointed that out to me.

HM's are just as good as winning, minus the cash, of course. Any time you can get selected as one of the 5-10 best out of hundreds of entries, it's a good thing. Nice work!

I get a kick out of the people who have never posted an entry criticizing the winners. Put your choppin' where your mouth is!

jay12645

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jay12645

For everyone complaining about not being recognized.... do something about it. Practice ur photoshop skills. Its not hard to get up to the level of competition quickly. Most of you are "creative" but lack the skill to make your entries competitive. Don't just bang out an entry for the sake of entering. You should be proud of your work. Don't do it for the money do it because you enjoy it. Take your time and really think it over. Every little detail (shadows, lighting, reflections, glare, coloring, angles of people, ect) if it looks weird to the creator, its going to look even worse to everyone else. For example if the picture you are adding to has an orangeish tint you are going to need to add an orangeish tint with overlay and lower opacity, this will make your objects blend in. And avoid using the magic wand feature for cutting, take the time and learn to use the pen tool well, it will remove the line that is around your cutout and will make your chops more seemless. There are a lot of other tricks to learn, i know i have a lot to learn. If you want any pointers send me a message. I noticed that i did 3 quick entries this contest and on my forth i didnt cut any corners, I spent a lot of time planing and executing, and guess wich one got an HM, yep the one i spent the most time on. Coincidence.... i think not. So for all you people who continue to fall short take a little time each week and do some tutorials for photoshop (http://www.tutorialized.com/tutorials/Photoshop/1) that is the site i practice with. I have only been photoshoping for a few months, and have improved a lot. I hope im not shooting my self in the foot by arming all you other chopers, but this hopefully will make the contest more competitive and spur better entries, and maybe a little less complaining. Good luck all!!!

TaylorMade r5 Dual Type D Driver
Random Crap
Vivitar 8600 8MP Digital Camera with 6X Optical Zoom and 2.8" LCD
Western Digital Caviar 250GB Hard Drive

Minimum Rage

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Minimum Rage
u2wedge wrote:

HM's are just as good as winning, minus the cash, of course. Any time you can get selected as one of the 5-10 best out of hundreds of entries, it's a good thing. Nice work!

I get a kick out of the people who have never posted an entry criticizing the winners. Put your choppin' where your mouth is!

I agree. I don't mind the HM's at all. They are really nice now that they are worth $5 in free shipping! The monetary prizes are great but I'll never complain about an HM.

JoeDeeDee

quality posts: 1 Private Messages JoeDeeDee
EarlyToBed wrote:Good choices on the winners this week. JoeDeeDee was my pick for number one as soon as I saw it.

Thanks!

McGuffy

quality posts: 7 Private Messages McGuffy
jay12645 wrote:For everyone complaining about not being recognized.... do something about it. Practice ur photoshop skills. Its not hard to get up to the level of competition quickly. Most of you are "creative" but lack the skill to make your entries competitive. Don't just bang out an entry for the sake of entering. You should be proud of your work. Don't do it for the money do it because you enjoy it. Take your time and really think it over. Every little detail (shadows, lighting, reflections, glare, coloring, angles of people, ect) if it looks weird to the creator, its going to look even worse to everyone else. For example if the picture you are adding to has an orangeish tint you are going to need to add an orangeish tint with overlay and lower opacity, this will make your objects blend in. And avoid using the magic wand feature for cutting, take the time and learn to use the pen tool well, it will remove the line that is around your cutout and will make your chops more seemless. There are a lot of other tricks to learn, i know i have a lot to learn. If you want any pointers send me a message. I noticed that i did 3 quick entries this contest and on my forth i didnt cut any corners, I spent a lot of time planing and executing, and guess wich one got an HM, yep the one i spent the most time on. Coincidence.... i think not. So for all you people who continue to fall short take a little time each week and do some tutorials for photoshop (http://www.tutorialized.com/tutorials/Photoshop/1) that is the site i practice with. I have only been photoshoping for a few months, and have improved a lot. I hope im not shooting my self in the foot by arming all you other chopers, but this hopefully will make the contest more competitive and spur better entries, and maybe a little less complaining. Good luck all!!!

Wow! That is very profound for your 8th post!

"There are 2 types of people in the world: Those can extrapolate from incomplete data."

jay12645

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jay12645
McGuffy wrote:

Wow! That is very profound for your 8th post!

To quote Eric Cartman:

Whatever... I do what I want.

Just kidding, i know im new here but i know a little about photoshop and have taken a look through most of the contests. Don't knock me for not posting much, im trying to help the people who don't realize why they didn't win. A lot are obvious, most have great ideas but just look silly. And im just adding my 2 cents. So relax McGuffy... just relax.

TaylorMade r5 Dual Type D Driver
Random Crap
Vivitar 8600 8MP Digital Camera with 6X Optical Zoom and 2.8" LCD
Western Digital Caviar 250GB Hard Drive

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
jay12645 wrote:

To quote Eric Cartman:

Whatever... I do what I want.

Just kidding, i know im new here but i know a little about photoshop and have taken a look through most of the contests. Don't knock me for not posting much, im trying to help the people who don't realize why they didn't win. A lot are obvious, most have great ideas but just look silly. And im just adding my 2 cents. So relax McGuffy... just relax.

Hey, you should know that there is a trend in the woot contest for people with few posts to win. They seem to feel like it helps to get new blood.

Your keen insight just comes across as arrogant, and without a lot to back it up. Your picture was funny, and OK, but to quote you, "Not the best of the feild in my opinion. Didn't think they were that funny."

Oh, and in case you haven't looked back very far, McGuffy has been in the money a couple of times, as have I. I don't think many of us keep track of our HMs.

There is a thread in the World of Woot to discuss Photoshopping techniques, you might want to give some advice over there instead of insulting everyone in the winners thread.

u2wedge

And jay12645, I sent you a PM, but I know some people never check 'em.... it's 'Honorable', not 'Honerable'. Figured you'd want to fix your sig image.

SBCJester21

quality posts: 9 Private Messages SBCJester21

why didn't anyone comment on mine? I want to win too :oÞ

Click for jumbo-tron version

Caption:

Prior to the Invasion of Iraq, Bush demonstrated to the U.N. Security Council how he plans to "clean up Saddam" using an army of Koolvac KV-1 Robotic Vacuums.

He also took advantage of the other great products he bought during the Pre-War Woot-Off Special.

(Bush, being Bush, forgot to take off the "World's Thinnest*" Sticker off of the TV before mounting it to the wall)

wonderstew

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wonderstew
u2wedge wrote:

Hey Wonderstew, why no entry this week? Or did I miss it?

It was 75 and sunny over the weekend. You'll probably see a lot less of me as the weather gets better.

Shaving.

Granos

wonderstew wrote:

It was 75 and sunny over the weekend. You'll probably see a lot less of me as the weather gets better.

Ah, a fellow northerner. It's hard to sit in front of your computer now that it's tolerable outside. Too bad they don't make monitors that work well in direct sunlight.

wonderstew

Granos wrote:

Ah, a fellow northerner. It's hard to sit in front of your computer now that it's tolerable outside. Too bad they don't make monitors that work well in direct sunlight.

**sigh**

Another of my lies. I live nowhere near the Grand Banks... I'm just a fan of the movie "The Perfect Storm"

I'm in Virginia. We've had 65-75 degree sunny workdays and 45 degree rainy weekends for a month now... at least up until last weekend.

It looks like we're gonna get another crapola Saturday though so you fine folks may have the pleasure of my welding creations afterall.

Shaving.

Josephus

wonderstew wrote:
**sigh**

Another of my lies. I live nowhere near the Grand Banks... I'm just a fan of the movie "The Perfect Storm"

I'm in Virginia. We've had 65-75 degree sunny workdays and 45 degree rainy weekends for a month now... at least up until last weekend.

It looks like we're gonna get another crapola Saturday though so you fine folks may have the pleasure of my welding creations afterall.

The rain is mostly in the morning though, isn't it? You can spend the morning making a big brunch, using your sushi kit, watching your 51 inch TV, rapidly changing channels with your RCA remote, and watching that 'yeller' mower chew up the azaleas in your yard.

..although your absence wouldn't alter my lack of recent winners appearances. nah, go ahead and weld some chops together.

Granos

wonderstew wrote:
**sigh**

Virginia??? A month of nice weather??? We've only started hitting the 70s last week and we won't see those temps again for at least a week.

Tell you what: let's trade addresses. I'll go to sunny (well, warmer at least) Virginia and you can do your photochopping up here. I need the decent jogging weather.

wonderstew

Josephus wrote:

The rain is mostly in the morning though, isn't it? You can spend the morning making a big brunch, using your sushi kit, watching your 51 inch TV, rapidly changing channels with your RCA remote, and watching that 'yeller' mower chew up the azaleas in your yard.

..although your absence wouldn't alter my lack of recent winners appearances. nah, go ahead and weld some chops together.

HA! "Mostly in the mornings," he says!!

No. Not so much. I remember very clearly sitting at my front window 2 Saturdays ago watching barn cats wash down the road... all day long.

And I've never purchased a woot. Part of me wishes they'd dish out prize money in woot-bucks... that way I could stock up on cool stuff and not feel guilty about wasting the money.

Shaving.

Josephus

wonderstew wrote:

HA! "Mostly in the mornings," he says!!

No. Not so much. I remember very clearly sitting at my front window 2 Saturdays ago watching barn cats wash down the road... all day long.

And I've never purchased a woot. Part of me wishes they'd dish out prize money in woot-bucks... that way I could stock up on cool stuff and not feel guilty about wasting the money.

I mean this Saturday; see, I'm in Maryland which is effectively northern virginia, as can be seen by our Democratic state representatives and Republican governor.

Oh, wait! we're exact opposites, aren't we?

though I have bought a couple of woots- the wine case, and the calendar-o-crap.

Targetcat66

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Targetcat66
elijahdprophet wrote:

New Mexico?!?!?!?

Where? I'm in Abq near the University.

Well, I'm up in the NW end but who knows where I'll ultimately roost. Great City! huh

u2wedge

So, I'm sittin' here thinking that I really think the Tuesday announcement is actually something to consider for future contests... tomorrow's already Friday! Seems that the Woot week went by a lot quicker this week for some reason...

And hey, I see photobucket just upped storage capacity to 1 gig. Cool. There was an article the other day that said 2% of all internet traffic goes through Photobucket.com.

gechapin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gechapin

pixelvisions

quality posts: 1 Private Messages pixelvisions

Nothing but sheep and pussies around here. All I hear is a bunch of "Bahhhhhhhhssssss" and queefs.

Not one of you thought I deserved an HM? Here it is again, in case some chose not to "wade" through all the posts:

Not one of you thought it was strange a popular entrant didn't win?

I only hope someone else around here grows a pair and takes a stand in the future... rewarding mediocracy breeds idiocracy.

Sad, really.

killingtime

quality posts: 1 Private Messages killingtime
pixelvisions wrote:
Not one of you thought I deserved an HM? Here it is again, in case some chose not to "wade" through all the posts:

I appreciate your kind words earlier. I hope you don't take any offense to this post. I am going to give you the honest reason why I think you did not place in this contest.

I think you may have fallen victim to desensitization. Remember the anagram contest - contest 64, I think? The word "impale" was used atleast 6 times. Unfortunately, the photo you chose for this contest was also used in the anagram contest. (You may have not even known this if you didn't participate in that particular contest.) Had the photo not been used previously, you may have had a shot. As you know, once you see something over & over again (like a commercial), you become immune to it.

http://www.woot.com/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=489573#489573
http://www.woot.com/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=489744#489744
http://www.woot.com/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=489961#489961
http://www.woot.com/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=490089#490089
http://www.woot.com/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=490842#490842
http://www.woot.com/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=489269#489269
http://www.woot.com/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=489453#489453

pixelvisions wrote:
Not one of you thought it was strange a popular entrant didn't win?

Of course, we do! Even when a popular entrant wins, we also think it is "fixed!" ;) I've sent spies out to Wonderstew's "farm" to see if an employee badge or W2 with the woot logo can be found.

pixelvisions wrote:
I only hope someone else around here grows a pair and takes a stand in the future... rewarding mediocracy breeds idiocracy.

Sad, really.

If I were to grow a pair on the undercarriage, it might be a tad unseemly...

I am not sure if mediocracy breeds idiocracy, but I do believe that mediocracy breeds contentment. And mediocre tapioca just breeds...

Until next time...

bzltyrfn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bzltyrfn

Hey folks... sorry to tick everyone off. Just entered for fun. Never figured in a million years I'd be chosen. I worked hard on it though. Tried to match the stippling and font of the original source image. The graphic itself isn't funny... but the comment I added along with the original post is funny... to me... cause I have self esteem... sorta. The only thing someone said that had any merit was that I didn't stick to the 450px size... but the whole 'rules' thing was kind of a joke wasn't it? I only noticed the size after I posted... and figured i'd never win anyway so why resize and repost?

Either way... you gotta admit... it's a freakin' sick source image!

I've never won anything in my stinkin' life... so be happy for me... and i'll be happy for you when you win! deal? deal!