WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

O Pioneers! (In-Wall Speakers)

Without pioneers, we wouldn't be here. We'd be back in London, all cramped together and listening to gramophones while drinking tea. This holiday season, celebrate being an American by guzzling corn syrup, listening to classic rock through some nice speakers, and tearing up a picture of the Queen. Because you can. Just because you can.
Pioneer official site

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

Do you have speakers in your wall? How hard are they to install?

I'm just hanging out, really.

speedracerx808

quality posts: 0 Private Messages speedracerx808
inkycatz wrote:Do you have speakers in your wall? How hard are they to install?

Depends on the weight of the speakers and your walls. If they are light and your walls are in good shape, (i.e. not all filler) then install is pretty simple. The speakers on sale now, all seem like they are light enough to be held up simply by the drywall.

If the speakers are super heavy or your walls are in really bad condition, it is a little harder to install as you may have to build supports or mount them to the studs.

The first case is far more common than the last.

If you are comfortable with basic wiring you should be fine.

frostykev

quality posts: 2 Private Messages frostykev

This may sound like an odd question, but are these pairs or a single speaker? I could understand a single speaker on the center style speaker, but how about the rounds, are they pairs or singles. . .

cengland0

quality posts: 11 Private Messages cengland0
frostykev wrote:This may sound like an odd question, but are these pairs or a single speaker? I could understand a single speaker on the center style speaker, but how about the rounds, are they pairs or singles. . .

As far as I can tell, they are all single speakers with the exception of the "Pioneer S-IW671-LR Pioneer Elite 6.5" In-Wall CST Speakers" which comes in pairs.

Speqtre

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Speqtre
cengland0 wrote:As far as I can tell, they are all single speakers with the exception of the "Pioneer S-IW671-LR Pioneer Elite 6.5" In-Wall CST Speakers" which comes in pairs.

I found one review of these things, which was not very indepth, but quite positive.

Good indicator of how overpriced these things are by the amount of discount they're offering?

Still significantly more expensive than the Monoprice inwalls - worth it?

gdon

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gdon

I picked up 2 pairs of the 6 1/2 Elites the last time they where on Woot.

They are big. Dimensions: 10"(W) x 3.56"(H) x 13.94"(D)

Installed them this past weekend. They are very easy to paint to match the wall and look great. The width makes them a bit of a hassle to line up between studs. You need about 11" once the 6 support pieces are locked down. So beams become a pain to work around.

They sound great in my "great room". Watched football all day Sunday with them and loved it.

Other than cleaning up the drywall debris that got everywhere, it was very easy to mount in the wall.

narquespamley

quality posts: 24 Private Messages narquespamley

We have several sets of in-wall speakers in our house. Installing the speakers is a piece of cake, so long as you are careful with measuring and leveling. The speaker trim hides the cut lines so you don't have to be absolutely perfect.

The much bigger challenge is routing the cables. Typically this will be under the subfloor or in the attic and will require some tricky drilling and fishing cables. You'll want a partner to make this go faster.

sirfrosty

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sirfrosty
gdon wrote:I picked up 2 pairs of the 6 1/2 Elites the last time they where on Woot.

They are big. Dimensions: 10"(W) x 3.56"(H) x 13.94"(D)

Installed them this past weekend. They are very easy to paint to match the wall and look great. The width makes them a bit of a hassle to line up between studs. You need about 11" once the 6 support pieces are locked down. So beams become a pain to work around.

They sound great in my "great room". Watched football all day Sunday with them and loved it.

Other than cleaning up the drywall debris that got everywhere, it was very easy to mount in the wall.

I own these speakers as well and will put the quality of these Elite Speakers up against anything else in the market. Extremely happy with my purchase!! Whoever compared these to offbrand chinese products has no appreciation for quality.

dallasgor

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dallasgor

How many of these things do you need for a nice home theatre system?

How would you go about aranging them ?

I like to turn it up loud and dance around so I want a plenty of deafening sound.