realistik

quality posts: 4 Private Messages realistik
Spiky wrote:And another. Are you incapable of reading the text? Maybe you should look at the pictures. woot! does make it pretty darn easy to find out what their products do. Here: 3 analog audio, 2 digital audio, and every HDMI input is also an audio input. Oh, and the ethernet, of course.

Maybe you should be a little less condescending when helping people out.

Dave

Spiky

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Spiky
realistik wrote:Maybe you should be a little less condescending when helping people out.

This isn't condescension. It's anger. [/Firefly] I don't condescend to bigotry and stupidity, I'm annoyed by it.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
Spiky wrote:This isn't condescension. It's anger. [/Firefly] I don't condescend to bigotry and stupidity, I'm annoyed by it.

Text is hard, sometimes. Let's remember to play nice around these parts.

I'm just hanging out, really.

recordstoregeek

quality posts: 0 Private Messages recordstoregeek

I too wish Woot would have a turntable-ready turner/receiver on the site someday.

etricas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages etricas

I also have had the 1021 for almost a year now and it's a great receiver for the price. I paid more than the woot price for it and the 1022 is an upgrade and the one I really wanted but the new egg sale was too good. If I had someone to sell my 1021 to I'd be all over this deal.

noc007

quality posts: 0 Private Messages noc007

Didn't find anything in the manual in regards to Bi-Amping. Bummer because I need a receiver that can bi-amp the left and right channels now with potentially a center channel and then go to a full 7.1 system down the road (obviously without bi-amping).

bluemerlin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bluemerlin

I don't understand why it has 3 watt ratings listed - how do I know which ones are for which channels?

lanpheer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lanpheer

Agree. Pioneer in general is awful with creating a good user-oriented interface experiences with their A/V products. I will not buy another Pioneer.

danhmiller wrote:Bought one a month ago for $333.

Good:
Network capability - stream music from itunes & smartphones.

Pandora radio is nice.

Sounds good.

Many hdmi inputs.

FM sounds great.

Video upconversion.

Bad:
TERRIBLE user interface for network functions (practically unusable).

Only 1 toslink digital optical port.

Bluetooth is an extra $60 chip. Required for coolest features like the jukebox thing that I thought I could use.

Takes ~15 secondss to turn on.

Each video input is paired to an audio input & cant toggle (cant use radio & tv simultaneously)

Front panel buttons are useless.

Remote is poorly designed.

No phono for you hipsters.

Bottom line: Pioneer, have you tried using this before you released it??... w t f? but airplay is sweet.

kpcandj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kpcandj
hippie19 wrote:No built in phono preamp. (I'm probably the only one that wants optical audio input, hdmi, 3d and still use my turntables.)

I need a phono input too...preferably with switchable MM and MC

edgarcia14

quality posts: 0 Private Messages edgarcia14
tc1uscg wrote:Kinda sick and tired of all these devices catering to Apple or iSomethings. The world isn't going to run on your iPad, iPhone or iPod so how about just making a device that accepts blue tooth commands or links to your device rather it's iphone or android and let consumers buy without having to worry if it's going to sync with iTunes or Google play or whatever. But for now, I'll live with my Yamaha RX-V2600 from . It might be old but it does everything except mates and has babies with iWhatever. Just saying.

Because Apple creates standards that are easy to implement for a wide range of their devices? Not an apple fan here, but have to admit they make it easy for other companies to implement tech that works with their devices (for a price of course).

gak0090

quality posts: 76 Private Messages gak0090
edgarcia14 wrote:Because Apple creates standards that are easy to implement for a wide range of their devices? Not an apple fan here, but have to admit they make it easy for other companies to implement tech that works with their devices (for a price of course).

Apple doesn't do anything regarding implementation ease. It's simple market share- there is no Apple genius here. Apple has a limited number of items with a large market share- this makes it profitable and marketable for a 3rd party manufacturer to cater to Apple fans. Plus with Apple users it pretty much needs to be zero configuration or they are lost- yeah I bet that will generate some feedback....

brytrinque

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brytrinque
gak0090 wrote:Apple doesn't do anything regarding implementation ease. It's simple market share- there is no Apple genius here. Apple has a limited number of items with a large market share- this makes it profitable and marketable for a 3rd party manufacturer to cater to Apple fans. Plus with Apple users it pretty much needs to be zero configuration or they are lost- yeah I bet that will generate some feedback....

I bet if this were "Made for Blackberry" it would be sold out by now.

The only thing stopping my from buying this is lack of IR in.

gak0090

quality posts: 76 Private Messages gak0090
brytrinque wrote:I bet if this were "Made for Blackberry" it would be sold out by now.

The only thing stopping my from buying this is lack of IR in.

Well there are a few things stopping me:

1) no phono input

2) it would need wifi compatibility, in fact- it should be gigabit lan and 802.11ac router.

3)it should be able to communicate and configure my home security cams and alarms, run car diagnostics, program and maintain my Roomba, coordinate with my neat receipts scanner, give my updates on the permeability of the 0.2 micron filter on my Dyson upright and finally sync all this up with my itunes account.

brotherman38

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brotherman38
tc1uscg wrote:Kinda sick and tired of all these devices catering to Apple or iSomethings. The world isn't going to run on your iPad, iPhone or iPod so how about just making a device that accepts blue tooth commands or links to your device rather it's iphone or android and let consumers buy without having to worry if it's going to sync with iTunes or Google play or whatever. But for now, I'll live with my Yamaha RX-V2600 from . It might be old but it does everything except mates and has babies with iWhatever. Just saying.

Amen!

DigMe

quality posts: 21 Private Messages DigMe
ProppaT wrote:For all you concerned about the sound quality, you have to realize this is a home theater receiver, not an integrated amp designed for music.

The CNET review actually only review the quality of the surround sound for movie watching and they said, "Sadly, there was little we can point to about the sound of the VSX-1022-K that we liked."

I really like to really feel right in the middle of the sound so this does not seem to be the receiver for those who want that as well.

kilimats

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kilimats

i boycott Pioneer receiver because their iOS app aren't being updated and each year model have an app, so after a year you're left behind with an old app.

I switched to yamaha and their iOS app is unified, works even better and the airplay mode works transparently, receiver turn on automatically when connected and song details show up on the display, sokmething the pioneer didn't do

mcahren

quality posts: 6 Private Messages mcahren

Yeah, for the general masses, this is an absolute great deal. Upconversion, streaming, and HDMI consolidaton, FTW.

If you really need true multizone, look elsewhere, but in two years, my two zones have only played different inputs maybe twice. The rest of the time, they are playing the same input.

Consider buying a Harmony remote to make running your setup easier.

narquespamley

quality posts: 24 Private Messages narquespamley

In these days where every component is networked, insisting that they are all Wifi is really a losing battle. Not to mention you're going to regret not going wired when streaming HD video.

I've got 6 ports on a 8-port gigabit switch in use behind my stereo rack - uplink, wireless access point, receiver, satellite, DVD, and Mac Mini. One of the 2 remaining ports will be used when my TV is upgraded to networked. Wireless is great as a point solution for isolated bits of hardware, but when you have clusters of networked components like this, wired is so much more flexible, more robust, and higher performance.

javajim72

quality posts: 0 Private Messages javajim72

As someone who spent a LOT of time researching mid to high end receivers to replace my Pioneer Receiver, I'd have to say pass on this one. The price is not low enough to warrant a low end entry purchase, and feature wise it doesn't match the mid-range receivers available available on the market at it's full price.

p2002

quality posts: 8 Private Messages p2002
tc1uscg wrote:Kinda sick and tired of all these devices catering to Apple or iSomethings. The world isn't..., so how about just making a device that accepts blue tooth commands or links to your device..., and let consumers buy without having to worry if it's going to sync with iTunes or Google play or whatever. But for now, I'll live with my.... It might be old but it does everything except mates and has babies with iWhatever.

+1 (more if it would mean anything)

p2002

quality posts: 8 Private Messages p2002
brotherman38 wrote:Amen!

I see brother man beat me to the punch.
Well, +1 on you too!

javajim72

quality posts: 0 Private Messages javajim72
narquespamley wrote:In these days where every component is networked, insisting that they are all Wifi is really a losing battle. Not to mention you're going to regret not going wired when streaming HD video.

I've got 6 ports on a 8-port gigabit switch in use behind my stereo rack - uplink, wireless access point, receiver, satellite, DVD, and Mac Mini. One of the 2 remaining ports will be used when my TV is upgraded to networked. Wireless is great as a point solution for isolated bits of hardware, but when you have clusters of networked components like this, wired is so much more flexible, more robust, and higher performance.

You can stream HD video on a Wireless G connection (54 Mbps), and with Wireless N (300 Mbps) available now at more than reasonable prices.

I stream HD to 2 TVs in different rooms, running the feed off a TimeCapsule (2TB storage / Wireless N) without so much as a hiccup, and can download/copy files from one computer to another in a snap.

Don't get me wrong, wired WILL be faster, but it's not necessary. Oh, and I had to smile a little when I read that wired is more flexible, not exactly an argument you hear for wired over wireless too often.

jharp29

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jharp29
noc007 wrote:Didn't find anything in the manual in regards to Bi-Amping. Bummer because I need a receiver that can bi-amp the left and right channels now with potentially a center channel and then go to a full 7.1 system down the road (obviously without bi-amping).

1021 will bi-amp.

narquespamley

quality posts: 24 Private Messages narquespamley

If you're building a system entirely from scratch, and if you're willing to pay premium prices to get every single component wireless-N capable, then sure wireless has adequate performance - in theory. The point on flexibility is that not everything has to run wireless-N. And your A-V system won't suffer when somebody else in the family is watching hulu on their laptop. For what it's worth, my experience with wireless-N is that even at very short range it rarely hits 300M. At 54M, you're in serious compression artifact city.

javajim72 wrote:You can stream HD video on a Wireless G connection (54 Mbps), and with Wireless N (300 Mbps) available now at more than reasonable prices.

I stream HD to 2 TVs in different rooms, running the feed off a TimeCapsule (2TB storage / Wireless N) without so much as a hiccup, and can download/copy files from one computer to another in a snap.

Don't get me wrong, wired WILL be faster, but it's not necessary. Oh, and I had to smile a little when I read that wired is more flexible, not exactly an argument you hear for wired over wireless too often.

gunnar

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gunnar
shackrock wrote:
Airplay works great, just like any other airplay device.

Is this audio only airplay, or does it pull down video too?

starcat11

quality posts: 0 Private Messages starcat11

I need dual-zone capability...if woot offers that one, we'll have a deal.

wasserkapf

quality posts: 19 Private Messages wasserkapf

Like others here, I have the VSX-1021k that I got from woot!

Some observations:

It doesn't have a HD Radio tuner. If you have ever listened to HD Radio, you know why this is important.

When you plug in everything to it's multiple HDMI ports, you cant watch one thing, but listen to sound from another source. At least not without reconfiguring the whole thing.

I wouldn't even consider using a wireless connection, as you are just asking for disappointment. I have it hooked to my LAN via a wired connection. I didn't even try wireless.

I can play mp3 audio files from my Ubuntu Linux PC using the MediaTomb UPnP media server. You need the TV on to use the network interface, and it is a bit clunky, but it works.

You can also stream internet radio channels. But, you cannot directly input them to the receiver. Instead, you have to register the amp, and then you can select the channels from a list or enter the url of channels not on the list. I wonder what happens if their web-service is gone?

http://pioneer.vtuner.com/setupapp/pioneer/asp/AuthLogin/SignIn.asp?s

CuzzinMerl

quality posts: 23 Private Messages CuzzinMerl
realistik wrote:Maybe you should be a little less condescending when helping people out.

I think he should apply for a job in customer service.

rrebonolo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rrebonolo

Can I run this in 2.1 mode? As in, two speakers and a sub?

I looked at the spec sheet and manual, but could not find any mention of this option. I have another Pioneer speaker (VSX-521-K) which has this option.

jyarbrough79

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jyarbrough79

For the price, I had to pull the trigger. I'm not an audiophile and all my Bluray players have built in web apps, so as long as it plays 7.1 surround sound this is a perfect start to my replacing my HTiB.

Spiky

rrebonolo wrote:Can I run this in 2.1 mode? As in, two speakers and a sub?

I looked at the spec sheet and manual, but could not find any mention of this option. I have another Pioneer speaker (VSX-521-K) which has this option.

"Stereo" mode = 2.1

blakcbass

quality posts: 2 Private Messages blakcbass

Check out http://reviews.cnet.com/av-receivers/pioneer-vsx-1022-k/4505-6466_7-35163428.html

realistik

quality posts: 4 Private Messages realistik

I have been looking for a new receiver within a specified budget for sometime. I thought my search was over but the numerous reviews about the lack luster sound quality scare me off. If this receiver were to excel in anything it should be in the audio/video department. All in all that is what should matter, not being Apple or DLNA capable.

Dave

caesar113

quality posts: 0 Private Messages caesar113
gunnar wrote:Is this audio only airplay, or does it pull down video too?

I own this device. It only supports AirPlay audio. It's media center type functionality is extremely disappointing. The menu system to play from DLNA sources or Pandora is absolutely hideous. It's low-def. It only takes up about 1/3 of the screen. The darn thing won't respond to the arrows on it's own remote half the time when in this mode. It's really absurd. I've been waiting and waiting for a firmware update and nothing ever comes. As soon as I find something better for <$400, I'm selling this thing.

mpb6990

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mpb6990

Would be all over this, but looking for something with dual HDMI out. Any suggestions?

charleyrose

quality posts: 1 Private Messages charleyrose
caesar113 wrote:I own this device. It only supports AirPlay audio. It's media center type functionality is extremely disappointing. The menu system to play from DLNA sources or Pandora is absolutely hideous. It's low-def. It only takes up about 1/3 of the screen. The darn thing won't respond to the arrows on it's own remote half the time when in this mode. It's really absurd. I've been waiting and waiting for a firmware update and nothing ever comes. As soon as I find something better for <$400, I'm selling this thing.

So are there any AV Receivers out there that support AirPlay video?

etricas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages etricas
mpb6990 wrote:Would be all over this, but looking for something with dual HDMI out. Any suggestions?

I use an automatic switch box I picked up on amazon so we could have two outs. One to our tv and one to a projector.

Spiky

mpb6990 wrote:Would be all over this, but looking for something with dual HDMI out. Any suggestions?

Dual, mirrored out? Or true dual out? Because only one group has dual matrixed output, and they start WAAAYYY above this price.

The Onkyo 515 might be the cheapest (but decent quality) machine with dual out, mirrored.

Spiky

bluemerlin wrote:I don't understand why it has 3 watt ratings listed - how do I know which ones are for which channels?

Missed this. The three ratings are for different setups, not for different channels. All channels are the same rating in modern receivers.

Wattage ratings for amps are hard to understand. They should really have several detailed numbers listed to be a solid, complete rating. None of the three for this product are complete. This is typical of all receivers, esp at the low end of the price scale.

The one you most likely should pay attention to is the first one, 80wpc. It is the most complete rating given. The other two are basically useless, but follow the mandated rules for this industry, which are weak.

backpack09

quality posts: 0 Private Messages backpack09

Anyone else getting "connection error" from these when trying to get to your network?