WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Turtle Beach Headsets: To Shell With You

What's that sound? Is it behind you? Beside you? Did you imagine it? Today's gamers can't afford to take chances. When it was just about Yar's Revenge it wasn't hard to keep one eye on that deadly missile, but today there's SO MUCH! If you need to win, you need a headset. Simple as that.

Quality Posts

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

Gaming headsets are great, but I want to know which pair is the most durable for the inevitable moment you yank them off your head and throw them down in frustration.

Anyone?

I'm just hanging out, really.

pitamuffin

quality posts: 12 Private Messages pitamuffin

All I'm seeing referenced is Xbox...anyone know if any of these work with a PS3? My son is asking for a headset and his birthday is in two weeks, so it would be great if I could jump on one of these. (Not literally.)

donduck

quality posts: 0 Private Messages donduck
pitamuffin wrote:All I'm seeing referenced is Xbox...anyone know if any of these work with a PS3? My son is asking for a headset and his birthday is in two weeks, so it would be great if I could jump on one of these. (Not literally.)

The PX5 and the XP500 both work with the PS3 and are very good quality gaming headsets.

rakeris

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rakeris
donduck wrote:The PX5 and the XP500 both work with the PS3 and are very good quality gaming headsets.

The X12 also works with PS3, you just need a USB port open. You also don't have to put batteries in it. The cord is very long as well.

erangel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages erangel

Reviews for the Ear Force Z1 on Amazon are appalling. Anyone here with experience or comments on those?

Thank you.

Lorrymarie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Lorrymarie
erangel wrote:Reviews for the Ear Force Z1 on Amazon are appalling. Anyone here with experience or comments on those?

Thank you.

http://www.buzzillions.com/reviews/turtle-beach-2054-01-ear-force-z1-pc-stereo-gaming-headset-mic-reviews

freeweezyy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages freeweezyy

Darn. Just shelled out $60 for a pair of X12's last week.

MegaTom

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MegaTom

Can I use these with My Samsung Note 2?

ChronoSquall14

quality posts: 39 Private Messages ChronoSquall14

These are great from when you get home from your customer service job to play video games. It allows you to keep a headset on at all times.

pitamuffin

donduck wrote:The PX5 and the XP500 both work with the PS3 and are very good quality gaming headsets.

Thanks. Not sure how I missed that in the description of the pricier ones -- subconsciously eliminated the expensive ones from consideration I guess!

pitamuffin

rakeris wrote:The X12 also works with PS3, you just need a USB port open. You also don't have to put batteries in it. The cord is very long as well.

Thank you, as well. Now to decide how much I want to shell out.

jlnokc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jlnokc
MegaTom wrote:Can I use these with My Samsung Note 2?

No, sorry. These are all designed to work with gaming systems. Most specifically the Xbox 360 or Playstation 3.

GarageBandKing

quality posts: 0 Private Messages GarageBandKing
jlnokc wrote:No, sorry. These are all designed to work with gaming systems. Most specifically the Xbox 360 or Playstation 3.

Would the PX5 conceivably work, since they are Bluetooth?

"Dual-Pairing Bluetooth Wireless Chat: Chat wirelessly on the PlayStation® Network, answer mobile phone calls or listen to streaming music from a Bluetooth enabled digital music player while you’re gaming"

It only took 967 days of Wooting to get a Bad Old Cinema, so don't lose hope!

lopgan121

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lopgan121

Just bought this.
Let's see how this goes.

andrewhallze

quality posts: 1 Private Messages andrewhallze

purchased the x12's after doing quite a bit of some research, turns out untill you spend roughly $250 or more (a set that includes the earforce dss2) you get the same drivers as 90% of turtle beaches headsets. great sound and I got an even better deal on them from best buy a month or two ago...

satomaki

quality posts: 0 Private Messages satomaki

I have had the x12 for about a year now and they have been awesome. My friends has x31 and they haven't treated him that well. I've personally never loved wireless headsets so I was excited when the x12's had a very long cable. I am also in college so when my roommates are sleeping I can just mute the tv and increase the sound of the tv. Also, you can put the input cable in an ipod or computer and listen to music while you play. Might just buy another one just for a back up.

miken927

quality posts: 122 Private Messages miken927

Here's a Turtle Beach video about the X12:

------------------
I Bet on Sky

Yoshi1hero

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Yoshi1hero

Hey I am wondering as to what I should get. I am currently using croodfades in general whenever I listen to anything however, I would like to pick up a pair of serious gaming headphones. I would like to be able to use them for the pc and the xbox 360. I usually take my headphones with me everywhere I go so they need to be durable. Any ideas on which ones I should get?
(http://v-moda.com/crossfade-lp/ what I am currently using)

trenton21

quality posts: 0 Private Messages trenton21

I've used the X12's for over a year now. I use them both for Xbox 360 and also my PC. Great sound quality and they have held up fairly well.

jdamore44

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jdamore44

I'm on my second pair of the earforce z6 for the PC. I had to send the first pair back because the center channel became faulty and I would have to physically hold the connector to get the channel to work. Now I'm on my second pair and the mic doesn't work. I'm not overly impressed with these for the price.

uman44

quality posts: 1 Private Messages uman44

I bought the PX5 a few months ago and it's been great. The fact it is wireless is awesome, however it does require a little thinking in order to make sure the sound sincs up... meaning I take sound FROM the PS3 TO the headset and then TO the TV. Doing this required that I dig up another digital audio cable.

A Diagram for visual learners...
(GAME CONSOLE)--->(PX5) --->(TV or SOUND SYSTEM)

When I first hooked up the system I took the sound from the TV. This caused a noticable delay between visual and sound. With this set up, the sound is perfectly sinced with the audio coming from the speakers when I have them both on.

Power for the base station requires the use of the USB port from the PS3 or laptop. I wish a regular plug came with it as it is power only.

The only negative I've noticed is that the *click* heard on the PS3 menu misses a lot. I'm not sure why, but the quick *click* from navigating the menu seems to miss on the first movement, but returns for subsequent movements. Not a deal breaker, but kind of annoying...

Also, I have used this on my laptop (without digital audio hookup). That required a mini stereo to RCA (red and white) adapter and killed the 7.1... however it still sounded fantastic. No issues hooking up the power USB.

Also Also, as mentioned the mic is 100% bluetooth and *fun fact* can be used without the docking station being attached to anything. XBOX360 attachments are included, with new at least. The headset is very comfortable and sits on my head nicely (although I do have a rather large head).

All-in-all I'd recommend the set, especially at the pricepoint.

jaketehsnake

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jaketehsnake

I've got a pair on right now.
Durable as all hell.
I've sat on mine multiple times, throw it at people regularly, and just generally am rather rough with it.
Keeps on giving. Personally, I like it a lot. Great price point, decent sound quality and a fair amp.
I'd say, for the money, it is a great deal.

donduck

quality posts: 0 Private Messages donduck
pitamuffin wrote:Thanks. Not sure how I missed that in the description of the pricier ones -- subconsciously eliminated the expensive ones from consideration I guess!

The pricier ones are wireless with surround sound audio. They can be paired with Bluetooth devices and also a PC. The X12 are wired and stereo and can also be used with the PC. You truly get better sound and performance with the PX and XP. I would just recommend investing in some rechargeable batteries along with them (which is what I do).

kevlowe

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kevlowe

So out of curiosity, is there a way to have these hooked up to my PS3 & 360 at the same time, so I don't have to go behind my consoles every time I decide to switch from one to the other?

roknroll91

quality posts: 0 Private Messages roknroll91

I have the PX500 (MW3 version model) I absolutely love them. You can adjust presets and desired specific sound frequencies. It changed the way I play games. Not just buy sight but also by listening to the sounds in the game. I also love the Bluetooth function to hook up to my phone and listen to music or quickly take a phone call. I also like the wireless feature to connect to the Xbox chat via the XBA Bluetooth adapter which is not offered by the PX5. You don’t have cords hanging around you and have to worry about ripping the cable out of your remote anymore. I would suggest buying nice quality rechargeable batteries for your remote and headset as with all wireless components they tend to eat through batteries. I would not hesitate to recomend these to a friend any day.

butundo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages butundo

according to TB, the XP500 is designed for the 360. http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/xbox-gaming-headsets/ear-force-xp500.aspx

Lister22

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Lister22

You suck, Woot. I literally just got a pair of x42's YESTERDAY!

patgreen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages patgreen

i have the x42, bought them in august. They're really awesome. great sound. lets you daisy chain the optical audio so you can run both this and surround simultaneously or one at a time.
awesome independent volume switches so you can adjust chat or sound, or both. whenever game volume gets louder, they automatically make the chat volume get louder so you can hear even in the thick of grenadetastic death (halo inspired). durable, too. i have to charge my 2 aaa's every 16-18 hours, so it lasts a while.

the upper models also have a removable boom so you can use it for private tv watching, too. helpful with roommates or different schedules.

Blustreak21

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Blustreak21
GarageBandKing wrote:Would the PX5 conceivably work, since they are Bluetooth?

"Dual-Pairing Bluetooth Wireless Chat: Chat wirelessly on the PlayStation® Network, answer mobile phone calls or listen to streaming music from a Bluetooth enabled digital music player while you’re gaming"

Yes, I use mine with both my PS3 and my Galaxy S3.

Blustreak21

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Blustreak21
butundo wrote:according to TB, the XP500 is designed for the 360. http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/xbox-gaming-headsets/ear-force-xp500.aspx

I have used these with PS3 and they work fine. Took them back due to them being basically the same as my PX5 set.

Skizzz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Skizzz

A few notes I’ve found from researching this item, which by the way I ordered a XP500

You can BT sync 2 devices, so you can chat with your buddies, while listening your pandora songs streamed from your BT enabled phone, like a Samsung S3.

You are not forced to feed optical input only from the XBOX. You can feed ANY optical input to it since all the surround sound is simulated from the transmitter box.
You can feed optical from your receiver, this way you can listen to any device connected to the receiver via these headphones.
You can even feed from the sound card from your computer if it has an optical out.
You can connect any device if you have an Y splitter to connect to the Line in stereo analog inputs.

Rechargeable batteries are a MUST.

You might encounter some noise issues with the wireless signal, since it uses the most popular band in the world.

Honestly, for this price, this is worth it.

Schwaumlaut

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Schwaumlaut

I bought a pair of Turtle Beach X1s (I think the equivalent is now the x11 or x12?) about two years ago; they were good for an entry-level stereo headset, but were not durable: one of the earcups snapped off entirely when I took it off my head after a gaming session (not a ragequit, either; I don't throw my pricy electronics). I got it replaced under warranty, but I ended up buying a set of Tritton AX Pros, which are waaaayyyy sturdier, besides also having 5.1 surround. They did cost 3 times as much as my X1s, though.

That said, in my circle of friends, one guy bought the X1s off me and is happy with them, one guy is a longtime Turtle Beach customer whose most recent X41s crapped out (and this is the third set in about a year and a half), and he's replacing them with a set of Astros, and the rest are a mix of Trittons and Turtle beaches.

Overall, the sound quality on Turtle Beaches is pretty good, but what has driven me and several of my friends away is the quality of their construction, which has been declining even as the price goes up. If you want something which isn't flimsy, I'd say get some Trittons or Astros. If you want something inexpensive which you won't use super frequently, then Turtle Beaches may work out better for you than they did for us.

Edit: Also, for context, we mostly play Call of Duty (two time Kill Confirmed world champs woot woot), which is why the AX Pro's surround sound matters to me. If you just need something to not disturb your neighbors, the Tritton Trigger is probably good enough, and costs $50 instead of $150.

kaymord

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kaymord

I'm looking at getting the XP500s. Is there anything I should be wary about because they are refurbished?

lopgan121

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lopgan121
kaymord wrote:I'm looking at getting the XP500s. Is there anything I should be wary about because they are refurbished?

I just bought these
They've yet to ship, but I looked all over the internet to find out how they 'refurbish' headphones. Basically, either an external piece broke off or they were just returned by someone who bought them and didn't like them. This means, all the internal stuff should be stock, which is good.

bighaley21

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bighaley21

Turtle beaches quality have gone down considerably in the last few years. I bought 2 headsets that both broke within the 1st 3 months of very light use. Tritton is the better buy now and the new universal afterglow headset is almost unbeatable for the price(80-90$). Save your money and buy tritton or afterglow.

NascarDad

quality posts: 21 Private Messages NascarDad

Which one does Michaealangelo wear, dude?

skippyputz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages skippyputz

What is the difference between the PX5 and the XP500?

eatshawn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eatshawn
skippyputz wrote:What is the difference between the PX5 and the XP500?

http://headsetgamer.com/2012/09/ear-force-px5-vs-xp500

Skizzz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Skizzz
skippyputz wrote:What is the difference between the PX5 and the XP500?

One has BT connectivity native, the other has a dongle.