WootBot


quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

LifeSmart 1500W Quartz Infrared Heater

Speed to First Woot:
3m 1.221s
First Sucker:
cherbert
Last Wooter to Woot:
thekashif
Last Purchase:
2 years ago
Order Pace (rank):
Bottom 35% of Woot.com Woots
Top 33% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Top 7% of Woot.com Woots
Top 4% of all Woots

Purchaser Experience

  • 18% first woot
  • 10% second woot
  • 34% < 10 woots
  • 21% < 25 woots
  • 17% ≥ 25 woots

Purchaser Seniority

  • 13% joined today
  • 1% one week old
  • 2% one month old
  • 17% one year old
  • 68% > one year old

Quantity Breakdown

  • 87% bought 1
  • 10% bought 2
  • 2% bought 3

Percentage of Sales Per Hour

3%
2%
1%
1%
2%
3%
6%
9%
10%
10%
8%
5%
5%
4%
4%
3%
4%
3%
3%
3%
3%
3%
2%
2%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting



Quality Posts


wootalyzer


quality posts: 1 Private Messages wootalyzer

Wootalyzer's Pricing Post! - The price of today's woot item is saved here for future reference
------------------------------------------------------------
LifeSmart 1500W Quartz Infrared Heater
$99.99 + $5 Standard OR $22 Two-Day OR $25 One-Day Shipping
Condition: New

*DISCLAIMER* Wootalyzer! is in no way affiliated with Woot!, and this post may not always be here!

brandonrawks


quality posts: 0 Private Messages brandonrawks

Stellar timing. It's cold. Not sure if ill do the classy wood or the black

bluejester


quality posts: 563 Private Messages bluejester

Let me try to stretch this item for a Halloween connection...hmm...


This heater is to...to...To remind you of the fiery pits of hell from which all manner of loathsome beast might crawl and wander the earth on Halloween Night!

There, now it's officially a Halloween themed woot product.

pupyluvr


quality posts: 51 Private Messages pupyluvr

If it has a clock feature it should keep exceptionally good time since it's Quartz... Right?

CuzzinMerl


quality posts: 24 Private Messages CuzzinMerl

Hey, it's not even real wood. If it was, at least you could burn it in a fireplace.

jplonmars


quality posts: 8 Private Messages jplonmars

tigerdirect.com have similar item(Lifesmart LS-3ECO) for $90 and they had one for $60 after rebate just hours ago (too bad that promo expired)


[MOD: The one you mention is for an 800sq ft room. This is for a 1500sq ft room]

vikingnaz1


quality posts: 0 Private Messages vikingnaz1

I work for a retailer that sells these (for about $180) along with smaller ones.

In the winter they are probably our most-returned items that we have.

Word of warning.

dmanpp616


quality posts: 2 Private Messages dmanpp616

So then this should be able to heat my entire house!! I thought there would have been a Halloween Bag for us to steal tonight.


jplonmars wrote:tigerdirect.com have similar item(Lifesmart LS-3ECO) for $90 and they had one for $60 after rebate just hours ago (too bad that promo expired)


[MOD: The one you mention is for an 800sq ft room. This is for a 1500sq ft room]



jplonmars


quality posts: 8 Private Messages jplonmars

It's funny that they have to say this is an Infrared Heater to make it sound like it's high-tech stuff.
When in fact, all heats are "Infrared". Since they have waveform with longer wavelength then the red visible light. Hence, all heat are considered Infrared ........

Also, if a heater somehow emits light, it "probably" won't be as energy efficient as the heater emits heat only(without the light).(notice I said “probably” cause there are other factors to consider.)

It’s like if a light that emits heat, that light probably won’t be efficient for its purpose (for lighting). The reason why incandescent light are NOT considered energy efficient cause 90+% of energy become heat and less than 10% of that become light. (When we flip the light switch, we weren't looking for heat, we were looking for light) (The reason why CFLs are more efficient because a higher percentage of that becomes light and less percentage of that become heat. If you noticed, CFLs are cooler to the touch)

The same could be true for a heater when we want 100% of energy(electricity) to be converted to heat (not light). And somehow this heater gives you a bit of light. (not heat) 

But on the brighter side, this heater probably is a safer heater due to the fact that it doesn't expose its heating element. So nobody can get burned by touching any outside part of the product.

Kizzbot


quality posts: 31 Private Messages Kizzbot

I have this exact model. Trust me, they are worthless unless you are just trying to heat a small bathroom.

zhinka


quality posts: 1 Private Messages zhinka

I have two of this exact model.
I live in the badlands of North Dakota and it gets a bit cold here. Temps in the -70F below zero windchill are common in winter and our basement can be on the cold side then. I use one in my sewing room down there to keep the chill away and it actually does very well at heating the whole basement which is around 1,200 sq feet.
I use the second one in the saddle room in the horse barn to keep the saddle room around 60F so the tack will dry properly. The tack room is not very well insulated but this heater does an excellent job. The tack room one is going on 2 years old and the one in our basement is just over a year old.
Zero problems with either of them. I am very pleased with them. If I needed another, I would definately get this woot.
I hope this helps a family make the decison to get one.

If you Don't Rescue, DON'T BREED!

khanmo01


quality posts: 1 Private Messages khanmo01

DO NOT BUY THIS!
i got one from woot last year and it quit working in January. There is absolutely so customer support so you are haunted if you need to get a hold of them.
Did i already mention...DO NOT BUY THIS!

whatsamattaU


quality posts: 1069 Private Messages whatsamattaU
khanmo01 wrote:DO NOT BUY THIS!
i got one from woot last year and it quit working in January. There is absolutely so customer support so you are haunted if you need to get a hold of them.
Did i already mention...DO NOT BUY THIS!



It's not quite the same model, that was the LS-15000-3, but I get your point.

http://www.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=4817255
As usual, complaints are at the end of the comments from January.
This is the LS-4W1500X.
I think this is a video of said model, if you want to compare:

whitcwa


quality posts: 12 Private Messages whitcwa

Why do heaters cause woot such scientific confusion? This distributes the heat via convection - not by infrared. It has a fan which blows the hot air out. It doesn't matter whether the heating elements are infrared quartz tubes, nichrome wire (like a toaster), or 10,000 gerbils. Except for a little bit which is emitted through radiation via the window, this is a forced air convection heater.
I guess I should be happy that they have stopped touting efficiency.

whitcwa


quality posts: 12 Private Messages whitcwa
CuzzinMerl wrote:Hey, it's not even real wood. If it was, at least you could burn it in a fireplace.


Plastic burns.

theroseknows


quality posts: 1 Private Messages theroseknows

At 1500W, you better like paying electric bills. Unless you have a very good reason (like a horse barn, or irresponsible kids) not to use an LP heater you would be a lot better off without this woot.

ThorsHammer


quality posts: 5 Private Messages ThorsHammer

BEWARE! Woot sold a similar one last year. The remote that came with the unit was smashed, and woot sent a replacement. That turned out to be the wrong one. They then sent the correct one. Unit however is eratic in operation. Half the time it will not turn off when set on a temp. you must operate it manualy, even in the eco mode. Heat is sufficient on high, but have had much more from a unit half the size.

ThorsHammer


quality posts: 5 Private Messages ThorsHammer
Kizzbot wrote:I have this exact model. Trust me, they are worthless unless you are just trying to heat a small bathroom.



I just posted and couldn't think of how to describe the unit. You are much more succinct.

limarick


quality posts: 5 Private Messages limarick

I have 2 of these from a previous woot and like them. (although I like my oil filled radiators much beer) Still not a bad price. I think I paid $30 each more.

But just when I thought the woot! main page couldn't get any worse, they proved out can. PLEASE bring back the original page layout.

gak0090


quality posts: 78 Private Messages gak0090
jplonmars wrote:It's funny that they have to say this is an Infrared Heater to make it sound like it's high-tech stuff.
When in fact, all heats are "Infrared".



Where is the infrared on this heater?

nmill005


quality posts: 1 Private Messages nmill005

I was tempted, but the comments have made me reconsider. I think I will just get an oil filled heater for slightly less.

gak0090


quality posts: 78 Private Messages gak0090
nmill005 wrote:I was tempted, but the comments have made me reconsider. I think I will just get an oil filled heater for slightly less.



When I used a space heater the oil filled were my favorite. The only bad thing is that you don't get instant heat. But the heat is consistent, no noise, and I think it tends to be "less drying" to the air since it's not fan-forced air (but that's my own opinion).

gak0090


quality posts: 78 Private Messages gak0090


Just FYI in case people did not realize this:

The truth is that all electric heaters are 100% efficient. It doesn't matter if it is a light bulb filament, a fancy quartz heater, the elements in your electric furnace, the elements in your electric hot water heater or your toaster. The fact is that 100% of the electrical energy is converted into heat and there is nothing you can do to increase or decrease that energy conversion.

http://toad.net/~jsmeenen/electric.html

a2vfc


quality posts: 2 Private Messages a2vfc

Pass

I bought a similar model from this company last year on Woot! and have been disappointed.

I have a small plastic heater that was under $10 from a discount store of the same 1500W output and it is not only much quieter but I have verified it heats the room faster.

I bought the LifeSmart model for it's nice looking wood and in person the woodwork is fine but the inserted heater mechanicals rattle and showed up with one of the four mounting screws securing it to the wood cabinet missing and another only half in and crooked due to the mechanicals being out of square.

Did I mention it is slow to warm and doesn't heat the room as fast as the under $10 heater

stfuqua


quality posts: 1 Private Messages stfuqua

I bought the similar heater sold last year. I don't see how anyone can complain about the heat output or fan strength unless it was defective, as both are excellent.

My only complaint is the constant buzzing noise from the loose fitting rear filter. I have another similar heater (not from woot) with the same buzzing filter.

BTW, a 1500W heater will run up your electric bill about $100/month if operated 24/7, or about $10/mo. if operated 2 hours to warm up a room before bedtime each night.

carverd


quality posts: 1 Private Messages carverd
pupyluvr wrote:If it has a clock feature it should keep exceptionally good time since it's Quartz... Right?



HA! you funny
Maybe as good as your microwave, or your old VCR I'm guessing :P

Samstag


quality posts: 11 Private Messages Samstag
gak0090 wrote:Where is the infrared on this heater?



When it's running a small amount of infrared light will be emitted from the entire body of that device.

As someone else mentioned, if you see a lot of light coming from a heater you're seeing wasted energy. Infrared light is a byproduct of heating, not a source.

AbEnd


quality posts: 4 Private Messages AbEnd

Take the Safe "Green" Approach

Infrared heat will circulate and recycle heated air from floor to ceiling while maintaining the air's oxygen and humidity


Do other heaters diminish the air's oxygen? ARE WE RUNNING OUT OF OXYGEN BECAUSE WE CHOSE THE WRONG HEATER? WHAT WILL OUR CHILDREN BREATHE?

megajam1999


quality posts: 1 Private Messages megajam1999

Bought this last year from woot. Loved it while it lasted. To bad it was just a few months. Tried to contact their customer service with zero luck. Ended up throwing it out. Wondering if I should give it another try?

cmdrredhawk


quality posts: 2 Private Messages cmdrredhawk

This is simply not true. With a bulb based heater, some of the energy is converted to visible light, and therefore not heat. Arguably very close to 100% and not relevant, as they are way more efficient than harvesting heat from combustion.


gak0090 wrote:Just FYI in case people did not realize this:

The truth is that all electric heaters are 100% efficient. It doesn't matter if it is a light bulb filament, a fancy quartz heater, the elements in your electric furnace, the elements in your electric hot water heater or your toaster. The fact is that 100% of the electrical energy is converted into heat and there is nothing you can do to increase or decrease that energy conversion.

http://toad.net/~jsmeenen/electric.html



seulater


quality posts: 1 Private Messages seulater

Here is a thought for any place that sells items. Before selling an item. they should call their support first. If they have trouble getting a hold of them or trying to order a replacement part. they should not sell it!!!

jlp4him


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jlp4him

Hi, Be careful! I bought two oil filled heaters (baseboard)some 15-20 years ago. My electric shot up an add'l $200.00 for the month. And this was when electricity was much cheaper.

pa28pilot


quality posts: 0 Private Messages pa28pilot
cmdrredhawk wrote:This is simply not true. With a bulb based heater, some of the energy is converted to visible light, and therefore not heat. Arguably very close to 100% and not relevant, as they are way more efficient than harvesting heat from combustion.



Plus, even a resistive load has some current flow, so I would think that some of the electricity doesn't get converted into anything.

cmdrredhawk


quality posts: 2 Private Messages cmdrredhawk

Those are the lazy good for nothing electrons who squeeze through doing the minimum amount of work, and end up at McDonald's.

pa28pilot wrote:Plus, even a resistive load has some current flow, so I would think that some of the electricity doesn't get converted into anything.



matso88


quality posts: 0 Private Messages matso88

I bought this last year to supplement our baseboard heaters in a 1500' townhouse. I haven't turned the baseboard heaters on since purchasing. It doesn't provide instant heat so we set the on-board thermostat to 60° to keep the edge off during the day then crank it up in the evenings. With good placement we successfully heat both floors of our Northern Utah town home and noticed about a $120 monthly savings during the winter.

cheaplullabyjoe


quality posts: 1 Private Messages cheaplullabyjoe
megajam1999 wrote:Bought this last year from woot. Loved it while it lasted. To bad it was just a few months. Tried to contact their customer service with zero luck. Ended up throwing it out. Wondering if I should give it another try?



Don't do it. Same problem. Noisy as heck.

Shame woot. selling this junk. The phone numbers on the comany website don't even work!!!!

hayedid


quality posts: 2 Private Messages hayedid
Samstag wrote:When it's running a small amount of infrared light will be emitted from the entire body of that device.

As someone else mentioned, if you see a lot of light coming from a heater you're seeing wasted energy. Infrared light is a byproduct of heating, not a source.




It would only be 'wasted energy' if you are unable to use the said light. ;)

gak0090


quality posts: 78 Private Messages gak0090
cmdrredhawk wrote:This is simply not true. With a bulb based heater, some of the energy is converted to visible light, and therefore not heat. Arguably very close to 100% and not relevant, as they are way more efficient than harvesting heat from combustion.



So if it is arguably very close to 100% and not relevant, your "NOT TRUE" loses a lot of credence. If you want to split hairs some of that visible light creates some heat also. In the same way- you are correct theoretically, yet still not relevant.