WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Hold on to your threadbare Uggs, because Woot has finally lurched into the mobile era. Today we announce our first-ever mobile-optimized version. Yes, the young people of today who access the 'tubes on their newfangled cyberphones can get off of our lawns and onto Woot Mobile!

Just "boot up" the browser on your iOS or Android phone and "net-surf" over to Woot.com for the mobile experience we've owed you for a long time now. Hey, there's the "I Want One" button you've always loved. Just tap the product description, and…

…let Woot Mobile whisk you away to a world of laughter and thrills. Scroll down further, and discover the bounty that is all of the day's Woot Plus events.

Beyond that, you'll find the polls and Wootcast videos. Never ride a bus or wait in a line without them, ever again!

Back up at the top of the page, tap the Woot logo for a flyout menu of all the Woot sites. You'll also see a little cartoon character in the upper-right corner. That's you! Or at least your specific Woot forum avatar. Tap "More Action" for access to your account settings, purchase history, and other personal, intimate stuff.

The buying process and account management screens didn't want to be left out, so we've optimized them for mobile, too. We have to let them have a little fun once in a while.

What's not included yet? Well, if you want to read our blog, or comment in our forums, or use Deals.Woot, you'll have to do it in a full-site version, like you have all along. But this initial mobile version is only the beginning (as late as it is). We're going to keep on developing until you come to think of your smartphone as a Woot device that also makes phone calls. Look for much, much more to come.

Have you tried Woot Mobile yet? What features would you like to see in future iterations? What do you think of this new band "Coldplay"? Let us know in the discussion below!

curtise

quality posts: 20 Private Messages curtise

THAT IS FREAKIN' AWESOME!!!

Thanks, oh great wootizens :D

-=C=-

tgichris

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tgichris

Its about time! :]

skippykj

quality posts: 16 Private Messages skippykj

Now if only I could get shipping notifications with the tracking number or even better, push tracking info from FedEx.

joshobra

quality posts: 37 Private Messages joshobra

Finally, it's official! Yay.

Jason, you might want to plug that iPhone soon.

POSSIBLY THE BEST BoC THREAD EVER. (With a story!~)
O-M-G! That Squirrel stole my Bag of Crap!

amnewsboy

quality posts: 48 Private Messages amnewsboy

a) That iPhone looks like it's about to have a red battery

b) Is there going to be an "official" iPhone app anytime soon, and

c) Geez, I hate Coldplay.

dimentex

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dimentex

Come on, Woot, there's another phone OS out there that's getting a big push, you could TRY looking like you're trying to appeal to ALL of us, not just the 'Droid and Apple Fans...
(Read: Where's the Windows 7/8 Support, dudes???)

ndeans

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ndeans
dimentex wrote:Come on, Woot, there's another phone OS out there that's getting a big push, you could TRY looking like you're trying to appeal to ALL of us, not just the 'Droid and Apple Fans...
(Read: Where's the Windows 7/8 Support, dudes???)

Yeah right, Woot doesn't cater to the 1%.

I have too many woots to list.

500 Chars. doesn't cut it w00t.

nanny78

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nanny78

Freaking HATE it!!!!!!
Tried to go to the full site and it doesn't work!!
Just freaking stop fixing what's not broke, you're not Facebook..........

editorkid

quality posts: 91 Private Messages editorkid

I'm going to be That Guy. My Galaxy Nexus running Jelly Bean has been loading the mobile version of woot.com/today for about six minutes and is only about 60% there. The regular version I could get until today loaded in a few seconds. Is there a workaround URL you can give me that gives me the regular version, or do I have to load the slow, miserable, unnecessary mobile version and choose "Request Desktop Site" every single lousy time?

There's a ton of third-party Woot apps on Android and iOS alike. Please let us use the real live site that works perfectly fine on both platforms if we want to.

Just finished! Total loading time for your streamlined mobile page, 8.5 minutes.

bmxjimp

quality posts: 38 Private Messages bmxjimp

Oh thank you, thank you, thank you Woot! I browse the site very frequently from my phone, and it is really great to have a mobile optimized version. Thank you for making this just for me!

One question: I clicked the "Full Site" link and now I'm stuck. How do I get back to the mobile version? I mean, besides clearing my cookies... I don't see a link on the full site inviting me back to the mobile site.

My username didn't change to jimp for my birthday, but I understand. Thanks, we're good!

dernst_ca1

quality posts: 37 Private Messages dernst_ca1

Cool. Love it.. Especially during woot-offs when I'm at work!

Thanks woot!

-JMHSRV

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com

dimentex

ndeans wrote:Yeah right, Woot doesn't cater to the 1%.

It's actually closer to 6-8%, and why the heck not, they cater to Apple's 19%. I can see Android, it's almost 60% Market share. But if you're gonna cater to Apple, you also target the fast riser. Remember, back in 2005 Windows had over 30% market share - they don't take so long with 7, maybe it's Apple that's way behind.

editorkid

And another four minutes after tapping "Request Desktop Site" for it to load. Total time to get that page, about 13 minutes, on a platform on which the regular Woot page works perfectly well (did anyone mention that already?) and on which there are a dozen third-party apps if anyone wants the crappy, limited mobile experience (did I mention that already)?

Mobile sites would have been awesome in 2006 when people were using Sidekicks and prototype BlackBerrys.

mibutterflywingz

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mibutterflywingz

I haven't tried it yet, but I'm very hopeful about this.

One thing to be added to this app are alerts when a Woot!Off starts and whenever a new item comes up during a Woot!off. As someone else pointed out there are a bunch of woot apps out there and personally the best feature is that I can keep a constant eye on products available during a wootoff.

ChadMoran

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ChadMoran

Staff

dimentex wrote:It's actually closer to 6-8%, and why the heck not, they cater to Apple's 19%. I can see Android, it's almost 60% Market share. But if you're gonna cater to Apple, you also target the fast riser. Remember, back in 2005 Windows had over 30% market share - they don't take so long with 7, maybe it's Apple that's way behind.

It's not close to 6%. I too was a Windows Phone user at one point. Though writing teh codez for IE Mobile is about as painful as IE 6 or pulling teeth or some other painful endeavor.

Code Monkey (get it?), Woot

dimentex

ChadMoran wrote:It's not close to 6%. I too was a Windows Phone user at one point. Though writing teh codez for IE Mobile is about as painful as IE 6 or pulling teeth or some other painful endeavor.

Not to belittle a point, but unless they LOST market share from the W8 reveal, I have a hard time believing it's not around 6% at least, since it was 5.2% half a year ago:

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/technolog/windows-phone-surge-android-ios-peak-idc-816305

ChadMoran

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ChadMoran

Staff

dimentex wrote:Not to belittle a point, but unless they LOST market share from the W8 reveal, I have a hard time believing it's not around 6% at least, since it was 5.2% half a year ago:

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/technolog/windows-phone-surge-android-ios-peak-idc-816305

For some reason Windows Phone users don't like browsing the web on their devices as much as other devices.

http://gs.statcounter.com/#mobile_browser-ww-monthly-201110-201210

Trust me, Mortimer has given us enough grief for not working on it.

Code Monkey (get it?), Woot

editorkid

Here's how to work around this.

Go to the link to see the real site at the bottom of each Woot page. Copy the URL.

The URL is hard-coded for each page's daily offer. Paste it into a text editor and delete all the way back to "offers."

With the "offers%2F" and the rest of the URL (with the product name) gone, type today/, just those five letters and the slash. You can copy and save that as the bookmark. But you can't paste it into the address bar; make sure you edit your Woot bookmarks. Pasting it into the address bar works just that once; editing your bookmark works until they change it.

hookhams

quality posts: 4 Private Messages hookhams

Love it so far...and it's better than many other 'mobile' sites

threemoons

quality posts: 18 Private Messages threemoons

How 'bout an official Android app?

shawnmiller

quality posts: 3 Private Messages shawnmiller
bmxjimp wrote:
One question: I clicked the "Full Site" link and now I'm stuck. How do I get back to the mobile version? I mean, besides clearing my cookies... I don't see a link on the full site inviting me back to the mobile site.

The "display mode" cookie is a per session cookie. For me, on iOS, I double tap the home button and kill Safari to force a new session

lynx44

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lynx44

Is there a way to see what's being offered on all woot sites in a single view? I like that the site finally fits my screen, but I'm afraid that making me click through each site will eventually mean that I won't be viewing all available items across woot sites anymore. Not by conscious choice, but because the time and effort will be more than I want to spend to see the daily deals.

greyham28

quality posts: 0 Private Messages greyham28
lynx44 wrote:Is there a way to see what's being offered on all woot sites in a single view? I like that the site finally fits my screen, but I'm afraid that making me click through each site will eventually mean that I won't be viewing all available items across woot sites anymore. Not by conscious choice, but because the time and effort will be more than I want to spend to see the daily deals.

Agreed. I like having the array of pictures on the bottom of the home Woot page (not to be confused with the home.woot page).

I guess that's just another reason to love Dolphin Browser: I can force desktop view (without first accessing the mobile version) and still get good rendering and fit.

Anyone love a specific 3rd party app for wooting?

Also, this text box is not friendly to mobile users. At least not me.

-Posted from my HTC Incredible 2 via Dolphin Browser; running (the primitive) Gingerbread.

RobinBobcat

quality posts: 41 Private Messages RobinBobcat

Wow! This is great! This is wonder ful! This is...

... not working for me at all.

I'm using the NetFront browser (3.5) on my Samsung, and I'm getting the same ugly page in Mobile or PC view.

Basically, everything on the main page (including the hover-over stuff) clogging up a very large page. *sigh*

Meow

Go Squarryls!

Overwheat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Overwheat

As nice as it is to have a mobile version of the site, it does appear to be loading god awfully slow. I'm using Chrome on my Nexus S hooked up to WiFi.

I honestly would much rather see an official app over a mobile site.

qporscheq

quality posts: 7 Private Messages qporscheq

I'v never really understood these mobile pages. I think they used to make sense a few years ago when the mobile browsers and screen resolutions were not very good, but today I dont see a need for them.

The desktop version of woot loads just fine in Safari on iOS. Plus you can see all the deals from all the woot sites at a quick glance.

For those wanting an app, it would look exactly like this mobile webpage. The vast majority of "apps" these days are just repackaged mobile webpages. Your app is just really the web browser packaged into a window.

craigthom

quality posts: 62 Private Messages craigthom

I like it, but I hope reading comments in a mobile form is being worked on. Rarely will I buy something without checking to see if something useful has been posted.

winnie71

quality posts: 1 Private Messages winnie71

Don't know about anybody else, but I'm very excited to spend each mornings limited brain power trying to imagine what the day's shirt design looks like without a giant price bar across the chest.

L3P463JR

quality posts: 1 Private Messages L3P463JR

Looks nice. Now it just needs Community Deals and then I can finally get rid of the other Woot app I have.

anthem11

quality posts: 0 Private Messages anthem11

Why haven't you enabled the percentage meter on your iPhone? It's pretty handy.

Happyadam

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Happyadam

Wow ... it's time to party like it's 1999, over something that would have been cool in 2009.

• ADS Hard Drive Case
  • Logitech Bluetooth Headphones
  • InFocus 76-inch Projector Screen
  • Logitech Bluetooth Headphones iPod
  • Logitech Music System Add on
  • Sandisk Memory Stick Pro
  • Logitech Play Link
  • ThermoHawk Infrared Thermometer
  • Sudoku Handheld-Touch Screen
  • Logitech Cordless Headset Xbox
  • iRobot Roomba Discovery
  • LeakFrog
  • Random Crap
  • Ridiculously Large Remote
  • Monkey Prize Wine Bundle
  • Bissell Barbie Vacuum
  • Sony PlayStation 3
  • Xmas06 Crap
  • and much more

ChronoSquall14

quality posts: 39 Private Messages ChronoSquall14

Tried it yesterday. Liked it a lot. Very cool.

heartofbruce

quality posts: 1 Private Messages heartofbruce

Here's another vote for Windows Phone mobile access.

clhug

quality posts: 1 Private Messages clhug

I've got a Windows phone too so I can't see the mobile site yet. But I'm not a fan in general of automatically detecting the mobile browser. I'd rather have it be something like m.woot.com for the mobile site and let the user choose if they want the mobile or full site view. Is there a way to force the mobile view for the site just so I can see if even looks half-decent on my Windows phone?

To everyone wanting an app, as someone else said, it would just be a repackaged web site so what's the point? Do it as a mobile specific web site that then would hopefully have broader support for other mobile devices without having to specifically code for different phone OS's.

sputniq

quality posts: 5 Private Messages sputniq

I was using my Droid running Chrome on ICS and one critique I have is that there are not small tiled images of each item. You have to click and go to each site to see it's item. I really like seeing the thumbnail of all 6 main sites right away.

Also, I clicked to view the full site and it didn't do it.

Thanks for your hard work! Woot on!

strawhousepig

quality posts: 60 Private Messages strawhousepig

Not seeing it in Opera mobile (no, not Opera mini).

How are you getting it to load, CSS, browser sniffing, all JS, redirect to different page? Are you using a v-host, is there a CNAME involved? ie. Can I manually enter m.woot.com (or whatever) and find this magical place?

mattschuette

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mattschuette

Staff

winnie71 wrote:Don't know about anybody else, but I'm very excited to spend each mornings limited brain power trying to imagine what the day's shirt design looks like without a giant price bar across the chest.

Try tapping the picture.

eholling

quality posts: 10 Private Messages eholling

I don't like mobile sites. I'm familiar with the regular site. I know where stuff is on the regular site. I don't want a dumbed down version that only has certain features. Either stop making mobile sites the default selection on mobile devices, give us a choice the first time we visit that persists through subsequent visits(via cookies), or make an app. That's what apps are for!!!!

Bouts of Consternation:
8/17/11; 9/14/11; 10/12/11; 11/09/11, 12/06/11; 4/26/12

And right now.

winnie71

quality posts: 1 Private Messages winnie71
mattschuette wrote:Try tapping the picture.

Thanks! Weird, but works now that I am home w/ wifi. So slow when using att only (no 3g/4g) nothing happened earlier.