llama81

quality posts: 0 Private Messages llama81

woot mobile sucks balls, you can't see previews of ALL woot sites at once, and even if you scroll to to the bottom to click the 'full site' link it just redirects back to the mobile site, complete crap

yesthatmcgurk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yesthatmcgurk

So, Woot whose website runs ASP.NET MVC... You're going to be releasing a WP8 version, right?

Right?

walshchristopherj

quality posts: 1 Private Messages walshchristopherj

Google Play Store link to app please. Can't find the official app.

eholling

quality posts: 10 Private Messages eholling
walshchristopherj wrote:Google Play Store link to app please. Can't find the official app.

This isn't an announcement about an official Woot app. It's just a mobile version of the website when you access it via mobile browser.

Bouts of Consternation:
8/17/11; 9/14/11; 10/12/11; 11/09/11, 12/06/11; 4/26/12

And right now.

Anorion

quality posts: 36 Private Messages Anorion

Doesn't work on my phone. Is this for Apple shiz and Android only?

Certified Linux Chemist Guy.
If I hated Apple products any more than I do, I'd be on lists.

Blindsider

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Blindsider
eholling wrote:I don't like mobile sites. I'm familiar with the regular site. I know where stuff is on the regular site. I don't want a dumbed down version that only has certain features. Either stop making mobile sites the default selection on mobile devices, give us a choice the first time we visit that persists through subsequent visits(via cookies), or make an app. That's what apps are for!!!!

Exactly. If there are any complaints about the regular site using a mobile device just make an app for it. It just keeps me from checking anything but the regular woot site until/if I'm on a computer. Nice business decision.

editorkid

quality posts: 91 Private Messages editorkid
eholling wrote:There is no app. It's just a mobile version of the website when you access it via mobile browser.

There are plenty of apps. They're all by third parties, though, not by Woot. And to the previous poster, search the Play Store for Woot, because there are enough apps that you should try a few and choose your favorite if you really want one.

kodiak55

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kodiak55

So why did you do it using user agent sniffing and not a proper responsive design like all the cool kids do now? A well-designed responsive version would cater to everyone regardless of platform or vendor--mobile, tablet, desktop, TV, etc.

butz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages butz

Now for the question no one has asked:

Only 37 woots, Jason? Really??? How about supporting the company once in a while? Geez....

hamjudo

quality posts: 9 Private Messages hamjudo
dimentex wrote:Come on, Woot, there's another phone OS out there that's getting a big push, you could TRY looking like you're trying to appeal to ALL of us, not just the 'Droid and Apple Fans...
(Read: Where's the Windows 7/8 Support, dudes???)

If enough Win8 phone users access the site from their phones, the site statistics will provide all the encouragement Woot needs to support Win8 phone.

But, that doesn't matter. In these modern times, there are only one to three aspects of mobile support that still matter. Unfortunately, which ones from the list varies based on device and connection.

1. Some mobile users need a reduced bandwidth site, or the page load time makes the site unusable.
2. Some mobile users have wee tiny screens. (I hate it when sites detect my Nexus 7 as mobile and force me into tiny screen mode.)
3. Some mobile users have touch screens that make "hover" not work, and modal dialog thingies painful. (note: I can't think of any examples on the woot site, nor do I recall issues when browsing woot from my Nexus 7. I have had to pull out my bluetooth mouse for other sites.)

On vacation, I wished for a low bandwidth version, because the hotel internet was sad.

biffbelew

quality posts: 0 Private Messages biffbelew
skippykj wrote:Now if only I could get shipping notifications with the tracking number or even better, push tracking info from FedEx.

Try Slice. Works great on my iPhone.

eholling

editorkid wrote:There are plenty of apps. They're all by third parties, though, not by Woot. And to the previous poster, search the Play Store for Woot, because there are enough apps that you should try a few and choose your favorite if you really want one.

Sorry. I should have said, "This is not an announcement about an official Woot app."

I just edited the comment to reflect this.

Bouts of Consternation:

And right now.

jfeise

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jfeise

I've been using WootWatcher (a 3rd-party app) for a long time on my Android phone. Works just fine.

SmilingBoognish

quality posts: 47 Private Messages SmilingBoognish

Add me to the list of users who would like to see a preview of all the different site offerings on one page. Additionally, I'd like to be able to view specs of an item.

giolee88

quality posts: 16 Private Messages giolee88

I'm on the WebOS platform, and the regular site comes across, not the mobile site.

I actually don't mind the regular layout...so long as it works.

I guess I'm going to have to buy something and see if it works.

ashparnell

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ashparnell

There's already a third party Woot app in the Marketplace. It's pretty good.

Come on, Woot, there's another phone OS out there that's getting a big push, you could TRY looking like you're trying to appeal to ALL of us, not just the 'Droid and Apple Fans...
(Read: Where's the Windows 7/8 Support, dudes???)[/quote]

kayfancher

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kayfancher

Omens, Monsters, and Goblins! thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you THANK YOU

mschauber

quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber

Months ago when I was accidentally redirected to this crap mobile site for a day, I said they should be spending their time and money on a true Android app. Now that it's live I have a change of heart. The site isn't crap, it's total crap.

Cell phones and tablets are not mini computers, they are extra gadgets that are essentially fancy toys. They run apps and web browsers that are capable of displaying true websites, do so well.

Give mobile users access back to the real website and create a god damn app to pull the data from your databases.

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

taking off my "staff" hat for a moment:
i'm surprised by all the demands for an app.

m-commerce surveys repeatedly show a majority of folks lean towards mobile-optimized sites (on a browser) rather than a dedicated app.

adobe just released data about this in august.

When asked why they prefer a regular website when shopping on your mobile device, a majority of respondents indicated convenience (39%), followed by access to more features (21%).

i mean, divorced from one's sentiments about the usability of our app specifically, it just strikes me as interesting that folks would prefer to have to download & continually use an app rather than visit a mobile-compatible website.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

Blindsider

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Blindsider
PemberDucky wrote:taking off my "staff" hat for a moment:

i mean, divorced from one's sentiments about the usability of our app specifically, it just strikes me as interesting that folks would prefer to have to download & continually use an app rather than visit a mobile-compatible website.

I for one wouldn't want an app or the mobile site, just the full site to work on my iphone. Like it did yesterday haha.

eholling

Blindsider wrote:I for one wouldn't want an app or the mobile site, just the full site to work on my iphone. Like it did yesterday haha.

This. I always go find the 'full site' link when I get a mobile site forced on me. If there's not one I give up. Part of the problem though is that mobile safari doesn't give you an option. If there were an option to spoof a desktop browser like many other mobile browsers have I'd love it. As it is, I have a separate browser downloaded for those especially pesky websites. But you can't integrate another browser with all your other apps. Mobile safari is the only one allowed to open links from other apps. I swear the next phone I get is gonna be android.

Ultimately, what I'm trying to say is, consumers are not all alike. Sure you may appeal to the average customer by deciding what we want for us according to research. But you're going to alienate some people too. Solve this by giving the consumer OPTIONS. And a link at the bottom of the page to the full site that you have to click every time you visit the site isn't good enough. However, a standalone app allows for the mobile browsing, and for the full desktop site to be available in the web browser.

An example of what not to do is the Facebook mobile site. It's an exact duplicate of the app. Why would I want that? I have an app. They've given me only one option. I want access to the mobile site through the app and access to the desktop site through the browser. (again, a link at the bottom I have to click every time doesn't cut it.)

Bouts of Consternation:

And right now.

klacour

quality posts: 17 Private Messages klacour

Interesting. You go for a mobile version of the web site, while everyone else has moved to an app. I gave up a long time ago for an iOS version on the iPad so I could simply woot a deal to the community site, and you still can't do that. I was a huge woot fan and early adopter, but I kind of wandered away after the last time I sent a note to woot asking if there was a work around so I could continue to contribute to the community as the iPad was now my web browsing device of choice. I got a mocking reply. Don't believe me? Any woot staffer can look at my activity on community deals and see the sudden drop off months ago.

I don't even know why I bother anymore, I was such a huge fan turning friends a family onto the cool little shopping site. I used to mock people for complaining and never missed a woot-off. Now, I check it out from time to time, but really why should I care if you don't?

A woot minion since 2006 ...

RWoodward

quality posts: 58 Private Messages RWoodward

I can use the full version of the website on my Windows phone. No app or mobile site needed.

strawhousepig

quality posts: 60 Private Messages strawhousepig
PemberDucky wrote:taking off my "staff" hat for a moment:

m-commerce surveys repeatedly show a majority of folks lean towards mobile-optimized sites (on a browser) rather than a dedicated app.

adobe just released data about this in august.

When asked why they prefer a regular website when shopping on your mobile device, a majority of respondents indicated convenience (39%), followed by access to more features (21%).

So long as the mobile site loads faster and has the main features of the site available then I love them. Something like notifications would be a great reason to desire a dedicated app. One thing I cannot stand is when zoomability is disabled on a mobile site.

Also, you have to keep in mind the nature of people willing to respond to surveys and those who would rather leave a message on a BBS. I for example get nothing but annoyed by survey pop-ups. ;)

twobits

quality posts: 4 Private Messages twobits

I've seen lots of mobile sites out there. Sadly, I don't see this one.

I use a BB 9850 and have no idea why your web design team chose the approach you're implementing.

Why are you using the useragent string to direct to the mobile layout? Why not use a dedicated mobile url? I see no reason to leave out non iOS and Android devices, yet your implementation does just that.

That would solve multiple problems, including:
1) People who prefer to use the full site from their mobile device can do so regardless of device/useragent

2) People outside of your flagged useragents can still navigate to the mobile site using the dedicated url.

3) You can still use the useragent string to redirect to the mobile site.

For the record, the full site pulls up fine on my BB. But it would be nice to have the option to use the mobile site.

Your solution is unnecessarily discriminatory.

Looking forward to some updates on this solution

Cheers

sandman69

quality posts: 2 Private Messages sandman69

I agree with the user who wants to see all of the woot category pics at once. I'm not a fan of the mobile version. I want the full site back on my phone. FAIL

CanyonRun

quality posts: 1 Private Messages CanyonRun

Ohhh Myyyy... THIS is what you define as 'Going Mobile'...!!?? No one loves w00t more than I (SEE THE BLACK QUBE NEXT TO MY NAME...), but, please go back to the drawing board & create a 'real' mobile app for us dedicated Qubers...!! pssssst... you may want to check w/ those Amazon folks... jejejeee...

chris12345

quality posts: 25 Private Messages chris12345
Jason Toon wrote:What's not included yet? Well, if you want to read our blog, or comment in our forums, or use Deals.Woot, you'll have to do it in a full-site version, like you have all along.

B-b-b-but local.woot doesn't have a pretty mobile version either. Don't forget about local.woot, now!

Portions of this comment have been redacted.

mbaysing

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mbaysing
llama81 wrote:woot mobile sucks balls, you can't see previews of ALL woot sites at once, and even if you scroll to to the bottom to click the 'full site' link it just redirects back to the mobile site, complete crap

This.

mollusc

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mollusc
strawhousepig wrote:Not seeing it in Opera mobile (no, not Opera mini).

Same situation for me. How can I complain about the mobile site if I can't even get to it???

cthulhu4242

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cthulhu4242

[quote postid="5226505" user="greyham28"]

Totally agree. We need tiny icons of what's in other Woot microsites. It just takes too long to click on each section to look because of load times. I won't look therefore I won't buy.

shifuimam

quality posts: 2 Private Messages shifuimam

I'd be much more interested in a native Android app.

Also - what about a Win8 Metro app? Not just for WP8 but for desktops and tablets, too. It would be awesome on our new Lenovo AIO we got from you guys this past week...

CrystaIEyes

quality posts: 2 Private Messages CrystaIEyes

But your lawn was so comfy =(...

jzacuto

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jzacuto

It works on BlackBerry too!

CanyonRun

quality posts: 1 Private Messages CanyonRun
jzacuto wrote:It works on BlackBerry too!

What's a BlackBerry!?!? MUAHAHAHA...

dfunk29

quality posts: 47 Private Messages dfunk29
threemoons wrote:How 'bout an official Android app?

I like that idea!

solidstiles

quality posts: 3 Private Messages solidstiles
RWoodward wrote:I can use the full version of the website on my Windows phone. No app or mobile site needed.

Same here, it works great actually, but it would be nice to not have to zoom in to read the forums and product descriptions. Throwing in another vote for a WP7/8 mobile site.

kwaping

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kwaping

On Android, there's a really great unofficial app you can get called Woot Watcher. That's what I've been using and it works really well. It's free, too! The developer gets paid via an affiliate network for any purchases you make. Everyone wins!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.drclabs.android.wootchecker&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDNd

0x776F6F7421

quality posts: 4 Private Messages 0x776F6F7421

I'm unable to access Jason Toon's account, as shown in the screen shots. I just get this hexadecimal number or something. Oh wait...

Kidding, actually. Nothing has changed on my phone. It's still the Woot website. Which is awesome, because I can touch on each of the header tabs and see what each product is. And no, I'm not going to tell you what kind of phone this is, because I don't want you "fixing" it.