0%
0%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootalyzer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wootalyzer

Wootalyzer's Pricing Post! - The price of today's woot item is saved here for future reference
------------------------------------------------------------
Apple MacBook Pro 17"
$1319.99 + $5 Standard OR $15 Two-Day OR $17 One-Day Shipping
Condition: Refurbished

*DISCLAIMER* Wootalyzer! is in no way affiliated with Woot!, and this post may not always be here!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 604 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Check it out:

Woot's goes Mobile! (Finally)

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

nimhgrad

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nimhgrad

Will this work with Win8?

[MOD: This has been answered numerous times now. LOL]

eVil

quality posts: 6 Private Messages eVil

If you want a 17" Macbook, keep in mind you can't buy a new one as they don't make them any more. Dunno whether the price is good or not.

eVil, not Evil.

ThunderThighs

Staff

nimhgrad wrote:Will this work with Win8?

If you buy a license and set it up, it should.

FORUM MODERATOR
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

neuropsychosocial

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial

This was previously offer as part of a multi-Macintosh sale. There are TONS of useful comments in the discussion which should answer many of the questions that might arise.

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

eVil

quality posts: 6 Private Messages eVil

Sure. Is this a troll?

Seriously, it will.

eVil, not Evil.

cheezr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cheezr

Yes, either with bootcamp or a vm.

smigit2002

quality posts: 12 Private Messages smigit2002

I believe so...
http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/45898/how-to-install-windows-8-on-a-mac
and see no reason it wouldn't, but it's a very good question!

Tom84

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Tom84

$280 off the Apple price: http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC024LL/A

Does not come with Mountain Lion.

ScottyP5947

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ScottyP5947

Omens, Monsters, and Goblins! this description made me laugh my friggin' ass off!

'Totes' ahhhhahaha.

editorkid

quality posts: 94 Private Messages editorkid

I know Parallels requires an update... I think most other options are already up to date.

cheezr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cheezr

according to the apple store this model was first released in april 2010 and apple was selling them for 1599 until they ran out.
Is it a decent price, that is up to you..

bpr2

quality posts: 182 Private Messages bpr2

Yes, if you have bootcamp or Parallels installed on the MacBook.

that was fun while it lasted!

curtise

quality posts: 20 Private Messages curtise

This is a beast of a machine... In the best way possible!

It's got a huge screen, but is super thin and full featured.

It's quite powerful, but also easy to use.

You can do HD video (1080p), or easily pull up two pages of text next to each other.

The best person for this computer is someone who wants a desktop replacement that they can occasionally carry around with them...

... Though if you plan on carrying it around more than occasionally, I highly recommend that you invest in a specially designed backpack, like one of the Prostyle ones from Brenthaven.

Oh, and considering that these babies used to go for WAAAAAY more money, and these are factory refurbished and qualify for AppleCare to extend the warranty to a full three years, this would seem like an incredible deal to me!

Thus end my observations.

-=C=-

miniaturepeddler

quality posts: 2 Private Messages miniaturepeddler

Yes, I install either parallels or vmware and you are good to go

quark613

quality posts: 11 Private Messages quark613

Everybody's answering this seriously. I assume this is just a play on "will this work with my Mac." On account of it being a Mac.

stevesds

quality posts: 18 Private Messages stevesds

You can get a great laptop with Core i5, 4GB, SSD, & NVIDIA GeForce GT 660M for hundreds of dollars less than this!
Apple(tm) logo not included...

wingedsurfgirl

quality posts: 25 Private Messages wingedsurfgirl
ThunderThighs wrote:Check it out:

I noticed it right away... At first I thought it hadn't loaded completely, but upon refresh it still had the same odd look. I'm sure I'll like it eventually, but there's something about changing it that reminds me of the other changes you guys have gone through recently that I don't like...

quark613

quality posts: 11 Private Messages quark613

These came configurable with non-glare screen as an option. This one is glossy. That's a deal-breaker for me.

editorkid

ThunderThighs wrote:Check it out:

Yuck. Yuck yuck yuck. Mobile sites are passé. My phone can handle the full regular site (including the dropdown menus across the top navbar) and I hope I don't have to put up with that unnecessary mobile version.

Edit: I left a workaround in a post in the World of Woot thread that ThunderThighs linked to.

jpstrings

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jpstrings

what is the estimate ship date for this item?

Thanks

ThunderThighs

Staff

jpstrings wrote:what is the estimate ship date for this item?

Thanks

We generally say to allow up to 5 business days for processing and shipping although many items ship faster.

FORUM MODERATOR

ThunderThighs

Staff

wingedsurfgirl wrote:I noticed it right away... At first I thought it hadn't loaded completely, but upon refresh it still had the same odd look. I'm sure I'll like it eventually, but there's something about changing it that reminds me of the other changes you guys have gone through recently that I don't like...
editorkid wrote:Yuck. Yuck yuck yuck. Mobile sites are passé. My phone can handle the full regular site (including the dropdown menus across the top navbar) and I hope I don't have to put up with that unnecessary mobile version.

Feel free to give feedback using the button at the bottom of the mobile pages. We've had tons of pleas for a mobile solution.

FORUM MODERATOR

Stexe

quality posts: 21 Private Messages Stexe

[MOD: This has been answered numerous times now. LOL]

Will this work with Win3.1?

[MOD: Brat ]

editorkid

ThunderThighs wrote:Feel free to give feedback using the button at the bottom of the mobile pages. We've had tons of pleas for a mobile solution.

Thanks, TT, and note that I did find a workaround. I know there are zillions of perfectly good phones that may not be as zippy as newer phones and the mobile experience will benefit them. My concern was that there might not be a workaround, but I found it and documented it in that thread. I'll have a fair amount of bookmark editing to do over the next few days (please don't ask me how many tablets I've bought from Woot) but it will only be painful once.

JonTwelve

quality posts: 5 Private Messages JonTwelve
stevesds wrote:You can get a great laptop with Core i5, 4GB, SSD, & NVIDIA GeForce GT 660M for hundreds of dollars less than this!
Apple(tm) logo not included...

High end computing experience also not included...
People buying apple don't care about anything you pointed out. I want something I enjoy using every day. The quality of the screen is something you appreciate every time you look at a picture. I know since it's got that apple logo my macbook is going to always run smooth even if it isn't the fastest spec'd.

When something goes wrong I walk into the apple store and they overnight it to the repair center so I'm only without a computer for 3 days. The employes and techs are some of the best I've had to deal with in a retail experience.

My macbook air has multiple dents from being dropped and performs like it was new. My girlfriend dropped her samsung and took a chunk out of the side. I use my macs many years longer than my pc's which is a real world savings.

So to all the apple haters do your thing I don't care. I'm going to enjoy my macs long after I forget how much I paid.

chrismgrant

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chrismgrant

I bought this model in the multi Mac sale a couple weeks back. It is fantastic and a good buy. While it is listed as refurbished, it really appears brand new. The refurbished designation may just be a way for Apple to sell at a lower price point without upsetting those that paid retail. This is not a cheap laptop but a great buy if you want quality and a laptop with desktop comfort.

CowboyDann

quality posts: 716 Private Messages CowboyDann

Why not accessorize?

Today's Tech.woot Canon Calculator Mouse Will work with this.

If you've already put in the 1300 what's another 10 bucks?

kenbonilla

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kenbonilla

Since when does a locked down version of bsd count as a High end computing experience? I get it, people like the Apple products, I just don't get where the feeling of it being high end is.

djames42

quality posts: 10 Private Messages djames42
editorkid wrote:I know Parallels requires an update... I think most other options are already up to date.

Don't think so - I've been using Parallels 7 with both Windows 8 developer and consumer previews without an issue (that I've seen).

JonTwelve

quality posts: 5 Private Messages JonTwelve
kenbonilla wrote:Since when does a locked down version of bsd count as a High end computing experience? I get it, people like the Apple products, I just don't get where the feeling of it being high end is.

Dude really? Better screens, they don't come loaded up with adds and trial software I hate, no stickers stuck all over it, magsafe for less connector failures, aluminum unibody, backlit keyboard, viruses/spyware aren't a problem, better stability vs windows, better trained staff, longevity, overnight shipping for repairs is standard, included programs are more polished and most importantly... you think you're going to impress a girl with your dull plastic grey or shiny lipstick gloss colored pc notebook? yeah right...

beaverspork

quality posts: 0 Private Messages beaverspork
JonTwelve wrote:Dude really? Better screens, they don't come loaded up with adds and trial software I hate, no stickers stuck all over it, magsafe for less connector failures, aluminum unibody, backlit keyboard, viruses/spyware aren't a problem, better stability vs windows, better trained staff, longevity, overnight shipping for repairs is standard, included programs are more polished and most importantly... you think you're going to impress a girl with your dull plastic grey or shiny lipstick gloss colored pc notebook? yeah right...

As someone that is married and likes to play games, yes, none of that is important to me.

themacguy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages themacguy

Late 2008 model. You really want a four-year-old computer? Better to spend an extra $550 and get the latest (which is from early 2011 and runs a quad-core i7). However, neither will take more than 8GB of RAM.

[MOD: Incorrect. This model was originally released April 2010]

sbn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sbn
Stexe wrote:Will this work with Win3.1?

Most likely. I have DRDOS 5 running on VMWare Fusion and it's supposed to emulate Win3.something. Hardest part of install was loading from all the 3.5" disks - not-so-"floppy" disks.

ddexter289

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ddexter289

I have the 15" model with the same graphics card. Beware: there is a known problem with the GT 330M graphics card. There is a 191 page discussion here (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3191083?start=0&tstart=0). The TL:DR version is that Apple has very poor customer service with this issue. My MBP has this fault and Apple still will not resolve the issue.

hydrotheace

quality posts: 2 Private Messages hydrotheace
JonTwelve wrote:High end computing experience also not included...
People buying apple don't care about anything you pointed out. I want something I enjoy using every day. The quality of the screen is something you appreciate every time you look at a picture. I know since it's got that apple logo my macbook is going to always run smooth even if it isn't the fastest spec'd.

When something goes wrong I walk into the apple store and they overnight it to the repair center so I'm only without a computer for 3 days. The employes and techs are some of the best I've had to deal with in a retail experience.

My macbook air has multiple dents from being dropped and performs like it was new. My girlfriend dropped her samsung and took a chunk out of the side. I use my macs many years longer than my pc's which is a real world savings.

So to all the apple haters do your thing I don't care. I'm going to enjoy my macs long after I forget how much I paid.

Personally, I enjoy fixing my own computer and getting a sense of ownership from my custom built PC. I'm surprised at how little most people know about their computer, and I get the feeling that many companies capitalize on that fact. Its amazing how much money you can save by knowing how your computer works and how to fix it. I guess thats my issue with Apple and some other companies, its almost like they force you into their terms regarding repair and upgrades. Also, 3 days seems like forever for us PC gamers ;)

Limited660

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Limited660
hydrotheace wrote:Personally, I enjoy fixing my own computer and getting a sense of ownership from my custom built PC. I'm surprised at how little most people know about their computer, and I get the feeling that many companies capitalize on that fact. Its amazing how much money you can save by knowing how your computer works and how to fix it. I guess thats my issue with Apple and some other companies, its almost like they force you into their terms regarding repair and upgrades. Also, 3 days seems like forever for us PC gamers ;)

Tear apart any of the off the shelf "windows" laptops and then tear apart an apple and tell me which is easier. 30 screws to maybe get the case apart on a windows laptop and 10 to get access to everything inside on my 2010 15" macbook pro.

hydrotheace

quality posts: 2 Private Messages hydrotheace

I would also like to point out that from a tech point of view, Apple does provide a quality product for the price. It really comes down to what you want in a computer along with your budget. Although this is a refurb, I have had some luck with my refurbished iPod that I bought on Woot! a couple of years ago that still functions (Although, finding new protective cases for it have been a challenge)