quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Were you affected by Sandy?
  • 18.7% - Yes, directly. 872
  • 12.4% - Yes, indirectly. 580
  • 19.7% - Not really. It was just a bit of rain when it got to me. 920
  • 49.3% - Not at all. 2302
4674 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

ladyloerya

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ladyloerya

we were indirectly effected, but not physically. my husband's work kept sending people home without pay for days because of the lack of work due to the virtual shutdown of the east coast. compared to other people's problems due to the storm, we are just whining, but it will impact us pretty big in our little world.

baqui63

quality posts: 8 Private Messages baqui63

I'm in NY City, yet was almost completely unaffected due to the lack of rain here (less than a strong thundershower; I believe about 1/2" total). Irene was much worse for me.

Got three days days off work (minus having to go in for an hour on Tuesday) and to spend some time with my daughter (who got a week off school).

Hopefully, the gasoline shortages abate quickly (I'm good for the next 3-6 weeks, but the lines tie up traffic and make people act insane).

All in all, I am very very lucky.

ChronoSquall14

quality posts: 39 Private Messages ChronoSquall14

No remnant of Sandy ever reached where I live. But the office is in full Sandy support mode.

hollyrock13

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hollyrock13

Still without power 4 days later and its getting cold in our neck of the woods.

FrankTownend

quality posts: 0 Private Messages FrankTownend

My former sister-in-law who lives on Long Beach Island off the southern coast of New Jersey was evacuated from the island. She hitched a ride on a boat back to the island to check out her home. The water line on the first floor was around 6" high and she still had a couple of inches of sand and muck completely covering her first floor. She and many many others have a lot of work ahead of them.

imdafuzz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages imdafuzz

I am in the Lehigh Valley, which is about an hour North of Philadelphia, and we were just above the eye as it passed by. We had a decent amount of rain but not enough to flood us...but the wind got us real bad.Gusts hit 90 mph and there are trees down everywhere. There are places in our area that wont have power until the end of the weekend. Nothing compares though to the utter devastation the Jersey Shore has suffered. Thoughts and prayers to anyone who lost more than just some electricity from this Superstorm.

tankgamer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tankgamer

Yeah, I bought a PC from Woot.com and it is now delayed in New Jersey. My life is devastated!

myfester

quality posts: 4 Private Messages myfester

We got many, many inches of rain. We did luck out by only getting a little water in our basement this year (last year we had a swimming pool in the basement). The reason we faired so well: Last year during hurricane Irene, our electric went out for days, therefore shutting off our sump pump. We went out and found the last remaining generator...and probably most expensive. We could probably keep the whole town up and running with this damn thing. So buying THAT was our insurance policy that we will never lose electric again. It sits in our shed in pristine condition *sigh*. Kinda like buying a snow blower and it not snowing for a few years.

pressmenot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pressmenot

In eastern and rural CT, the rain was mild (<3 inches) but the wind did the damage. I was told that most of our pines have some disease making them weak and it was mostly those along roads and near hilltops that they snapped off and downed power lines. We were out of power for 3 days, but after last year (Irene and Alfred)we're seasoned enough to deal with it. The coastal areas are much harder hit.

Mancho

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Mancho

All the low pressure in the east has meant a consistent high pressure here in the southwest. It's been gorgeous!

HomerTime

quality posts: 1 Private Messages HomerTime

Seems like a personal question, but yes, I was affected by Sandy. At the end of the movie, when she traded her skirt for those tight leather pants, it affected me like... oh.. wait not that Sandy? Never mind.

candiceb

quality posts: 2 Private Messages candiceb

I was directly affected. I'm in NYC, and I have the whole week off of work. (It's really not as exciting as one might hope.) I had a guest this weekend who was supposed to fly out Monday but only managed to leave yesterday after LaGuardia Airport reopened. I was very lucky not to sustain any kind of physical damage to my apartment, nor did I have to evacuate. I have already done a little volunteer work helping others who were less fortunate during the storm. My heart goes out to them.

epicsatyr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages epicsatyr

This is the first time being on the net since Sandy came to town. No power, gas, but running water which we are thankful for.

hippie1981

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hippie1981

Nope, I live in Wisconsin and didn't have any effects here.

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

epicsatyr wrote:This is the first time being on the net since Sandy came to town. No power, gas, but running water which we are thankful for.

welcome back and we're all glad you're safe.

candiceb wrote:... I have already done a little volunteer work helping others who were less fortunate during the storm. My heart goes out to them.

that is very decent of you. glad to see so many folks helping their community through all this.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

calvin92

quality posts: 0 Private Messages calvin92

I live in Queens but it barely effected us. Our powerlines are underground and I'm not coastal so we essentially got a lot of wind. Its weird though because everyone else is dealing with total devastation. I just wish one of our four gas stations had some gasoline.

jjpnh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jjpnh

In a rural area north of Boston, and we usually lose power when somebody at the electric company sneezes. Not this time, though - the winds took out a few shingles and our chimney cap, but otherwise it was just a big rain storm.

tigermack

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tigermack

How'd people being affected be able to comment? They don't have power? lol

nyjfootball

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nyjfootball
tigermack wrote:How'd people being affected be able to comment? They don't have power? lol

Starbucks, Panera, or anyplace with wifi. Lots of people in the area mall here are charging items, connecting, and getting info online.

smartinez729

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smartinez729

My new car was flooded, going to be a total loss. Deciding what car to get next. Was 18 months into a 2011 Lexus IS250 lease. :/ However, I still have power and intermittent hot water due to the boiler room being flooded. My car is the least of issues compared to others losing homes. Makes you appreciate the little things you take for granted.

nanaejt

quality posts: 3 Private Messages nanaejt

Lots of rain and very strong winds,lost power for 27 hours but nothing like those poor people in NJ and Staten Island. Unbelievable destruction and may change their lives forever.Thoughts and prayers for all of you.

pbryggs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pbryggs
Mancho wrote:All the low pressure in the east has meant a consistent high pressure here in the southwest. It's been gorgeous!

you suck

NavyStore

quality posts: 3 Private Messages NavyStore

My wife spent half her childhood on LBI (Barnegat/Ship Bottom/Toms River) and though she didn't lose any family members, there homes were damaged or destroyed in one case. Out here in Seattle, she feels completely disconnected from them all, but I keep telling her there is nothing she can do but donate to the Red Cross.

Anything you can donate would be greatly appreciated by everyone!

Cajun01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Cajun01

I live in South Louisiana and I've looked at the pictures that are on the web. I feel bad for everyone that has been affected, we put up with this and a lot worse. The storm that hit us a month ago was as strong as this one with one big difference. Ours wouldn't leave, it sat over us for between 18 and 24 hours. The lucky one got power back in a week, I had 8" of standing water around my house for 2 1/2 weeks. FEMA, Red Cross and our local Gov. didn't show till after the water went down. Everybody here justs pulls together and takes care of each other, there no sense in whine and crying on TV. Help each other and you will make it through, if you just sit and wait for someone to do it for you it won't happen.

zingriffy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages zingriffy

For the first time in my life, I was in Europe when the 'frankenstorm' (as it was called there) hit the east coast. I was supposed to come home Monday, the 29th, but overseas flights were cancelled. United had to put my husband and me up in a hotel, meals included, for 2 days before we were finally on the way back.

Wootieful

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Wootieful

We are on day 5 without power here in southwestern Connecticut..cold is creeping in now..I wonder about the senior citizens and how they will cope. FEMA and The Red Cross are here and we count our blessings for we know there are others that faired much worse. Thanks, WOOT, for providing this outlet..nice to have something familiar in this chaos..

hoodude47

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hoodude47

We were in SE NC,near Wilmington.Had to adjust our travel plans,put double lines on the boat,clear the decks,tell the dogs to calm down. The wind blew pretty good Saturday,rain squalls gusty,but just a big windy blow. Kept us inside all day,but no damage. Dogs,and us,had to chill out. Sunday much nicer,got back underway.

lobo81865

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lobo81865

Not by Sandy, but Katrina kicked my butt. I live on the MS gulf coast.

lopgan121

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lopgan121

I live in South Florida.
We get hit by hurricanes all the time, yet I've yet to seen such a big news-based event happen to us. We just get hit and everyone ignores it.
Oh well.

lopgan121

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lopgan121
Cajun01 wrote:I live in South Louisiana and I've looked at the pictures that are on the web. I feel bad for everyone that has been affected, we put up with this and a lot worse. The storm that hit us a month ago was as strong as this one with one big difference. Ours wouldn't leave, it sat over us for between 18 and 24 hours. The lucky one got power back in a week, I had 8" of standing water around my house for 2 1/2 weeks. FEMA, Red Cross and our local Gov. didn't show till after the water went down. Everybody here justs pulls together and takes care of each other, there no sense in whine and crying on TV. Help each other and you will make it through, if you just sit and wait for someone to do it for you it won't happen.

It's about time I see someone else who thinks the whole ordeal is ridiculous. A storm with 90mph winds hit and then cold came. That's the bottom line, and much worse storms happen either every year or every other year.

ineffablemo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ineffablemo

I was affected directly by hurricane Sandy. My power & heat was just restored after 5 days of cold & darkness.. it was a struggle but thank to friends/family & neighbors for helping each other out.. Many thanks to PSE&G for continues work efforts.

modelakathy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages modelakathy

Directly affected. Minor damage, trees fell in the yard and no electric or landline phones since Monday and cell phones are iffy. On one now. I am one of the lucky ones. My neighbor lost both her cars and part of her house when a tree fell. My heart goes out to the people who lost everything.

smischke1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smischke1

If all the affected people had power, you would have a lot more people in those categories!

smischke1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smischke1
myfester wrote:We got many, many inches of rain. We did luck out by only getting a little water in our basement this year (last year we had a swimming pool in the basement). The reason we faired so well: Last year during hurricane Irene, our electric went out for days, therefore shutting off our sump pump. We went out and found the last remaining generator...and probably most expensive. We could probably keep the whole town up and running with this damn thing. So buying THAT was our insurance policy that we will never lose electric again. It sits in our shed in pristine condition *sigh*. Kinda like buying a snow blower and it not snowing for a few years.

Don't worry. I did the same a couple of years ago. I didn't lose power for a while, but when I did, I was sure glad I had the generator. My son had to wait 4 years for a good snowfall after he bought his giant snowblower. For 4 years everyone thanked him. The fifth year he dug them all out and they loved him.

greenoasis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages greenoasis

Everyone was indirectly affected, whether they realize it or not. Shipping was delayed, whether your package went anywhere near the east coast or not (I think the west coast shippers used it for an excuse anyway.) And what with nor'easterners now getting "free" gas, everyone else will be paying more at the pump to make up the difference. I saw gas prices jump by 11c overnight here the day after the storm! Not happy...not happy at all.

misconduckt19

quality posts: 0 Private Messages misconduckt19

It just BLOWS me away they turned away electrical workers because they werent union....they must LIKE being without power....kinda ignorant

bomengo923

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bomengo923
lopgan121 wrote:It's about time I see someone else who thinks the whole ordeal is ridiculous. A storm with 90mph winds hit and then cold came. That's the bottom line, and much worse storms happen either every year or every other year.

wow. I guess ignorance is bliss. death toll is over 100 and counting... two children were ripped from their mothers arms by the tide from the ocean that came up on land after she was trying to escape to safety, people/children have been electrocuted, some elderly that did not get out of their houses have drowned, a man was trapped in his basement as 8ft of water crept up on him until it killed him.... i knew that man. many horrifying stories and deaths. houses have been demolished, looters are stealing what is left from these people since their houses are vacant and unlivable.

fema ran out of water and only asked for bids on friday, the red cross showed up with cookies, 2 hour gasoline lines, no electricity for days or weeks depending...

but yes, its just a storm with a little wind. 9/11 was just a couple of plane crashes too, right?

charliecarroll

quality posts: 104 Private Messages charliecarroll
hoodude47 wrote:We were in SE NC,near Wilmington.Had to adjust our travel plans,put double lines on the boat,clear the decks,tell the dogs to calm down. The wind blew pretty good Saturday,rain squalls gusty,but just a big windy blow. Kept us inside all day,but no damage. Dogs,and us,had to chill out. Sunday much nicer,got back underway.

I am right here with you in Brunswick County and can easily say, we had a No Event here. I have seen more wind during a summer thunderstorm.

gusvonpooch

quality posts: 24 Private Messages gusvonpooch
lopgan121 wrote:It's about time I see someone else who thinks the whole ordeal is ridiculous. A storm with 90mph winds hit and then cold came. That's the bottom line, and much worse storms happen either every year or every other year.

Wonder what your reaction would be if a storm dropped two feet of snow on your area and then two weeks of subfreezing temps? In the northeast it would not be that big a deal,they would fix things and go on with our lives. I think you would be totally lost and would be out there looking for help just like these people are.
The northeast does not get a lot of direct hit hurricanes and if you watched the news you would see the total destruction of whole neighborhoods,businesses and people's livelihood.
You may think "the whole ordeal is ridiculous" but to those poor people who lost everything they had including in some cases their loved ones,it's a very big deal.
I am thankful there are lots of Americans out there who are trying to help their fellow citizens any way they can.