bomengo923

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bomengo923
gusvonpooch wrote:Wonder what your reaction would be if a storm dropped two feet of snow on your area and then two weeks of subfreezing temps? In the northeast it would not be that big a deal,they would fix things and go on with our lives. I think you would be totally lost and would be out there looking for help just like these people are.
The northeast does not get a lot of direct hit hurricanes and if you watched the news you would see the total destruction of whole neighborhoods,businesses and people's livelihood.
You may think "the whole ordeal is ridiculous" but to those poor people who lost everything they had including in some cases their loved ones,it's a very big deal.
I am thankful there are lots of Americans out there who are trying to help their fellow citizens any way they can.

thanks.

sgkarr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sgkarr

We were supposed to spend the week in Beech Mountain, NC. however when we got there Monday they were on their way towards their first foot of snot and 80 mph winds and probably loss of power at some point. we decided to come back down the mountain and stay in a hotel and go back up on Wed. Didnt happen, they got almost 2 ft. and we could not get back up. came hoe on Wed.

lopgan121

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lopgan121
bomengo923 wrote:wow. I guess ignorance is bliss. death toll is over 100 and counting... two children were ripped from their mothers arms by the tide from the ocean that came up on land after she was trying to escape to safety, people/children have been electrocuted, some elderly that did not get out of their houses have drowned, a man was trapped in his basement as 8ft of water crept up on him until it killed him.... i knew that man. many horrifying stories and deaths. houses have been demolished, looters are stealing what is left from these people since their houses are vacant and unlivable.

fema ran out of water and only asked for bids on friday, the red cross showed up with cookies, 2 hour gasoline lines, no electricity for days or weeks depending...

but yes, its just a storm with a little wind. 9/11 was just a couple of plane crashes too, right?

Are you LEGITIMATELY comparing 9/11 with this? You do know 9/11 killed thousands, right? Also, 9/11 was a terrorist attack, which has absolutely NO association with a natural disaster. Good try.

lopgan121

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lopgan121
bomengo923 wrote:thanks.

All I am saying is that many seem not to care about us, so why should I care about the ONE storm in the northeast.

likeaboss6

quality posts: 0 Private Messages likeaboss6

Indirectly, I saw great surf pics.

ariellem

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ariellem

DC area - we were told to expect a lot of rain & very strong winds, kind of like the derecho (which was a first-ever!!!!) this summer but for half a day to a day and a half.

Got very lucky, as the winds were far below predictions and the rain was only very strong at times - and no thunder or lightning. Was basically a very long rainstorm and not nearly as bad as the one a year ago September that flooded a lot of local roads. Between that other rainstorm and the derecho, seems like most of the weak trees here were culled - very few came down near us during Sandy. Schools were cancelled Monday & Tuesday and many were told to stay home and work from there but we mostly had to wait in case - and thankfully "in case" didn't happen. Luck and pre-culling more than anything. The derecho made a huge mess here; Sandy was mostly a delay.

We have family originally from NYC and know people still in the NYC area and so have been watching things up there closely; it's a mess. Unreal how much water got into the subways and underground garages :-<

tons o' screaming monkeys (yay!)
almost no Box of Cobwebs in the past few years (boo :-< )

cappo

quality posts: 34 Private Messages cappo
lopgan121 wrote:All I am saying is that many seem not to care about us, so why should I care about the ONE storm in the northeast.

The media doesn't care unless they can make a buck off of it, but that's not everyone else's fault.

cappo

quality posts: 34 Private Messages cappo

According to the marker on the hurricane tracker (cause I was not about to go outside and look around) the center of the storm tooled on past about 15-20 miles south of my house.

Amazingly, we didn't lose power, although there's outages all over the wider general area. I'm not sure how we didn't, but I'm not complaining.

My old pole-mounted CB antenna was bending around like crazy, though. Good thing I tied the pole down a bit for added stability. As it was, it managed to put a crack in the wooden shed it's attached to, in an effort to rip the wall off and blow away. O.o

And of course water in the basement but that's a given. Roof leaked from the winds too. All in all, though, can't complain.

peetyweety

quality posts: 0 Private Messages peetyweety
lopgan121 wrote:All I am saying is that many seem not to care about us, so why should I care about the ONE storm in the northeast.

yo dude, people don't care about things happening a block away, let alone where ever you might live. . It's human nature.. unless of course you're forced to be nice with people, you've hated for 20 years. Which I got to see in my building. The power of coffee.
I just got power back yesterday. From 5 days in the dark. It wasn't the end of the world. People were getting electrocuted and shot at and robbed a couple blocks from me. But they got hit much harder.. and that was a couple blocks from me. You're right though, where I live, in NYC, we had a summer storm that was much more intense. But this thing we just had was misleading. Because of the storm surge... all of a sudden, the rivers and harbor came and flooded places that you would never had expected that to happen. This is the big bad city, and it got pushed to it's knees.
As for the Jersey Shore being wiped out, that's epic and crazy.
On a bigger scale, this storm system was a thousand miles wide. Which is pretty scary. Because you wonder if this is what we're all going to have to deal with on a regular basis. Storm systems that are building on top of each other. Not just here on the East Coast, but through out the country.

PocketBrain

quality posts: 46 Private Messages PocketBrain

Sandy was too far off the coast to affect southern Georgia, but shipping was delayed on a few things for work, which impacts a deadline that cannot be moved.
I'm from Florida originally, so I have some experience with hurricanes. I would like to express sympathy for all those affected.

jmbunkin

quality posts: 28 Private Messages jmbunkin

Could try to explain it but I'm guessing you wouldn't get it so why bother.
You have a nice day anyway.

tomonline976

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tomonline976

So far its been a week with no power. I do have a generator but to get gas around here you need to wait 5 hours in line and hope the place doesnt run out before its your turn. Damn i miss the juice. Lipa needs to get their act together and the the electons flowing to the gas stations and homes. All i ever see are 20 lipa truck convoys going somewhere else. We have lots of downed power lines and broken light poles but no trucks in sight.

jacobsen923

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jacobsen923
lopgan121 wrote:Are you LEGITIMATELY comparing 9/11 with this? You do know 9/11 killed thousands, right? Also, 9/11 was a terrorist attack, which has absolutely NO association with a natural disaster. Good try.

I was in manhattan, I know exactly what it was. I am in Staten Island, and it is not what you are describing. If you do not understand that I was not making a comparison between the two and just illustrating how ridiculous your statement was, you are dumber than I gave you credit for.

zonepuppy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zonepuppy

On the east coast, we feel any disaster that hits here is far worse than the same disaster in the heartland. Yeah, it was bad, we had no power for 5 days and are just getting cleaned up, but that's life. Florida gets this every other year and they hardly get a fraction of the attention we demand. We are healthy and alive; and that's all anyone can hope for.

nanaejt

quality posts: 3 Private Messages nanaejt
jacobsen923 wrote:I was in manhattan, I know exactly what it was. I am in Staten Island, and it is not what you are describing. If you do not understand that I was not making a comparison between the two and just illustrating how ridiculous your statement was, you are dumber than I gave you credit for.

If you are living in Staten Island I hope you get all the help you need and get it soon. Stunning to see the destruction in that area,so sad to see people facing a loss like this.

tommydevo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tommydevo

Although my family has no running water and no power, my husband was able to find a generator before the storm hit. It has made all the difference to have a light on. So many people are stuck in buildings with no heat or power or have lost their homes altogether. They have no fresh food, let alone hot food. A warm place to be,a cup of hot soup or coffee or a listening and caring ear makes a person feel human again. The gas lines have brought out some of the worst behavior I have seen. At this time of crisis and tragedy, we need to find ways to do what we can to alleviate the suffering of others and not add to the pain.

wootod

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wootod

just wondering if someone in the affected areas had purchased any of the Goal Zero solar products and how they are working ?

jacobsen923

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jacobsen923
nanaejt wrote:If you are living in Staten Island I hope you get all the help you need and get it soon. Stunning to see the destruction in that area,so sad to see people facing a loss like this.

Thanks, we are inland and thankfully did not suffer nearly as much physical damage as some of our family and friends close to the water who lost their houses and lives. So sad. If you are ever told to evacuate, do so, it is not worth the heartache to those you leave behind.

brian3937

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brian3937

Not affected by Sandy but I can really feel for those who were affected. Living in Hancock Co. Ms. I was at ground zero for Katrina. Seeing that scope of devastation along the entire Ms. gulf coast has a profound effect on one's respect for the power of nature.

marladarla

quality posts: 0 Private Messages marladarla

Am I the only one that found woot's email offensive? The joke about hurricane Sandy vs some intergalactic BS was in very poor taste. There has been loss of life here on the east coast and people's lives have been turned upside down..reprehensible, woot..you owe an apology, a retraction, and a decent donation to the red cross!!

lilguy1991

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lilguy1991

The results may be skewed. What are the chances someone who was really affected by Sandy is checking in on Woot? They probably have many other things to worry about and figure out right now.
Not to say that Woot isn't important!