adamenter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages adamenter

I purchased the 40" Hisense refurb when it was offered for $250 last time. The tv was incredible for the price. The only problem was that the screen went black after 10 minutes, so you had to cycle the power on the tv. Woot was amazing and made the return easy. Still, buyer beware, and please hold onto your box and packing material for 30 days! We didn't discover our issue for a couple of weeks since it was our secondary tv. Good wooting!

charliecarroll

quality posts: 105 Private Messages charliecarroll
StanleyS wrote:Got a link for that? (The only difference between a so-called LED TV and an LCD TV is the backlight used to illuminate the *exact same* LCD screen.)

What I wrote and was responded to as above was, "It is generally expected that LED has better picture quality than LCD."

So, here is the link that you asked for form PCmag.com that clearly demonstrates the superiority of LED over LCD, in picture quality!

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2387377,00.asp

Sorry I was not able to post this earlier as I had conflicts that would not allow me to take the time to do so.

deathbyblue

quality posts: 2 Private Messages deathbyblue

Does this still at 1080p refresh at 60hurtz? I can't find that any where.

siryn79

quality posts: 2 Private Messages siryn79
StanleyS wrote:I fit a 42" Panasonic plasma into the back of a Prius. YMMV!!!

i think the prius has a higher ceiling, but that is good to know. thanks for the info

StanleyS

quality posts: 5 Private Messages StanleyS
charliecarroll wrote: So, here is the link that you asked for form PCmag.com that clearly demonstrates the superiority of LED over LCD, in picture quality!

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2387377,00.asp

That article only reviews one LED set: a 60" $6000 unit. Totally irrelevant to this $300 unit.

charliecarroll

quality posts: 105 Private Messages charliecarroll
StanleyS wrote:That article only reviews one LED set: a 60" $6000 unit. Totally irrelevant to this $300 unit.

Math is what it is and it is true to form and is maybe the only undisputed science. So, being relative mathematically, the ups and downs in comparison would be virtually the same, mathematically speaking and in comparison. For example, 2 is to 4 as is 4 is to 8. Therefore, the argument would indeed still be relevant. The argument then would be, how much relevance? But the argument in PCmag would relatively still be the same, regardless.

Besides, my original statement was an effort to state but not prove LED was now expected to be superior to LCD. Certainly prices at all levels of quality are reflecting that. Also, there is no dispute on power usage. I will admit I am not the one to say which is best but, the pros seem to agree, LED is superior.

huhu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages huhu

Well, buying a big TV online is not a good idea when you cannot return or report the problems. I, myseft, prefer to buy locally so recently I bough a 42 Vizio for $500 after tax and extended warranty for 5 years at Costco. Then I will be happy for 5 years without any worry. Yes I know you will say it is $200.00 more but that's worth for 5 years rather than 90 days thru woot.

michael2255

quality posts: 5 Private Messages michael2255
charliecarroll wrote:PRICE COMPARISONS-New Vs. Refurbished

Today's Woot = 299.99Refurbished

Brand New only $68.01 more than Refurbished I was thinking about pulling the trigger on this offer but after seeing the small difference in price for a brand new model I'm backing off. Does not seem to be as good a deal as I thought on first glance.

No sales tax for me (6%) and the five dollars shipping is only a smidge above my Amazon prime shipping cost. However, when I went to Walmart to check it out live it was the only TV not turned on -- not a good sign for new TV's.

michael2255

huhu wrote:Well, buying a big TV online is not a good idea when you cannot return or report the problems. I, myseft, prefer to buy locally so recently I bough a 42 Vizio for $500 after tax and extended warranty for 5 years at Costco. Then I will be happy for 5 years without any worry. Yes I know you will say it is $200.00 more but that's worth for 5 years rather than 90 days thru woot.

And Vizio is a USA company (even though all their stuff is made in China, not sure which one).

siryn79

Dammit, I forgot to change the default shipping of my work address to my home! I just wrote to customer support, but Woot staff/mods/gods, please help!

fireyhotredhead

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fireyhotredhead

Does anyone know how soon the $5 standard shipping arrives?

Ringo4422

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Ringo4422
charliecarroll wrote:Math is what it is and it is true to form and is maybe the only undisputed science. So, being relative mathematically, the ups and downs in comparison would be virtually the same, mathematically speaking and in comparison. For example, 2 is to 4 as is 4 is to 8. Therefore, the argument would indeed still be relevant. The argument then would be, how much relevance? But the argument in PCmag would relatively still be the same, regardless.

Besides, my original statement was an effort to state but not prove LED was now expected to be superior to LCD. Certainly prices at all levels of quality are reflecting that. Also, there is no dispute on power usage. I will admit I am not the one to say which is best but, the pros seem to agree, LED is superior.

I've said it many times before and need to explain this yet again... LED IS LCD!! Marketing hype is making consumers think that an LED TV actually use LEDs as pixels. NOT TRUE! Its still a LCD TV, but with LED backlighting instead of fluorescent.

Vizio 32” 720p LCD HDTV (2 of them), Seagate 750GB SATA/300 7200RPM Hard Drive, SiliconDust HDHomeRun Dual Digital HDTV Tuner, Kodak Theater HD Player, Acer Aspire One 10.1” Netbook, Philips Prestigo 8-Device Universal Remote, Asus Eee PC 900 Netbook with 1.6GHz Atom Processor, Philips Upconverting DVD Player with DivX and HDMI, Ashley Rock Axe Full Size Rockband and Guitar Hero Controller for PS2 and PS3, Philips Icon 5 Device Universal Remote, and a bunch of other carp.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 585 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

fireyhotredhead wrote:Does anyone know how soon the $5 standard shipping arrives?

While it's often faster, you should allow 5 days for processing and shipping.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

wflesher

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wflesher
charliecarroll wrote:PRICE COMPARISONS-New Vs. Refurbished

Today's Woot = 299.99Refurbished

Walmart = $368.00 New In Box http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hisense-42-Class-LED-LCD-1080p-60Hz-HDTV-F42K20E/20549808?adid=bzv_fb_revshr_001
53 Reviewshttp://reviews.walmart.com/1336/20549808/hisense-42-class-led-lcd-1080p-60hz-hdtv-1-5-ultra-slim-f42k20e-reviews/reviews.htm

Brand New only $68.01 more than Refurbished I was thinking about pulling the trigger on this offer but after seeing the small difference in price for a brand new model I'm backing off. Does not seem to be as good a deal as I thought on first glance. C'mon Woot, you're going to have to knock off about another $20 to make this refurb competitive against the same product that is NIB.

Don't forget you have to pay taxes and such.... In my case that would be another $30!

Wayne L. Flesher

AZRobert

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AZRobert

Already arrived today! Packed as a box in a box with good packing on corners of interior box. Moving into Apt on weekend of 17th - will hook up and try then.
So far so good....

kdmattingly

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kdmattingly

Received mine today. Damaged TV, The corner of the TV was cracked and it went into the screen. My first woot and based on the fact that I have to pay to ship it back, its probably gonna be my last one.

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

kdmattingly wrote:Received mine today. Damaged TV, The corner of the TV was cracked and it went into the screen. My first woot and based on the fact that I have to pay to ship it back, its probably gonna be my last one.

i'm very sorry.
please contact support@woot.com & let them know about your situation (if you haven't already). we'll do our best to make it right.

apologies again for the hassle.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

kenrad

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kenrad

I'm going to re-read the item posting to make sure I didn't miss anything. But I didn't get the screws to secure the base to the TV, and I didn't get a remote either...

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 168 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

kenrad wrote:I'm going to re-read the item posting to make sure I didn't miss anything. But I didn't get the screws to secure the base to the TV, and I didn't get a remote either...

Sorry to hear that you're missing certain accessories from you order...please feel free email us support@woot.com and we'll be glad to assist you.

You can also visit Hisense Support Center to see if they can hook you up with the missing parts...

Sincerely,
Woot Staff

kenrad

Thanks! I already received a reply from your support department, and the parts on their way! Great service.

wootdeluca

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wootdeluca

I've purchased multiple items from woot and this time my tv arrived with a broken screen. Half of it works... Still waiting for woot to email me back.. not sure what I am supposed to do.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
wootdeluca wrote:I've purchased multiple items from woot and this time my tv arrived with a broken screen. Half of it works... Still waiting for woot to email me back.. not sure what I am supposed to do.

Depending on when you mailed into support@woot.com, it can take 24-48 hours (M-F) to hear back. If it's been less than that, hang in there and know we appreciate your patience.

I'm just hanging out, really.

Dreadan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Dreadan

I received mine yesterday and everything seems to be working. It was packaged pretty good.

inkycatz

Dreadan wrote:I received mine yesterday and everything seems to be working. It was packaged pretty good.

This is good news! Thank you for bringing that to us.

splitskull

quality posts: 0 Private Messages splitskull

Just received my 42" Hisense. TV was damaged in transit and the box was completely open on both end when it was delivered. Sent an email to support.... now the wait.

inkycatz

splitskull wrote:Just received my 42" Hisense. TV was damaged in transit and the box was completely open on both end when it was delivered. Sent an email to support.... now the wait.

Thanks for letting us know. We're keeping close track of any damage reports, so be sure to let us know asap if it happens!

michael2255

PemberDucky wrote:i'm very sorry.
please contact support@woot.com & let them know about your situation (if you haven't already). we'll do our best to make it right.

apologies again for the hassle.

Bezel broken on mine.

inkycatz

michael2255 wrote:Bezel broken on mine.

Hopefully you have already mailed in, sorry that had to happen to you.

Alderuen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Alderuen
inkycatz wrote:Hopefully you have already mailed in, sorry that had to happen to you.

got mine today, box was pretty beat up but tv seems to be working ok. Roommates playing ps3 on it with no problems. Id love to know ideal calibration settings (which are nowhere to be found online)

NealeT

quality posts: 0 Private Messages NealeT

received this on the 8th. one side was completely opened but everything was there and in tact. however, there is one dead pixel on the left side of the screen. i'm trying to decide if it's worth contacting the hisense warranty department. regardless this is a great deal. the tv works great and totally worth the $300. woot's the best!

dougmorrissey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dougmorrissey

I bought one of these Hisense refurbished TV's recently and it pops when changing channels . Contacting Hisense, I learned there is a firmware update that eliminates this problem.

inkycatz

dougmorrissey wrote:I bought one of these Hisense refurbished TV's recently and it pops when changing channels . Contacting Hisense, I learned there is a firmware update that eliminates this problem.

Thanks for the tip!

siryn79

i did write to woot support, but wanted to share my experience here:

after begging woot to change the shipping address minutes after submitting my order (and being denied for NO good reason), i finally was able to get UPS to ship to my home (after a week-long delay due to hurricane sandy related backlogs since i am located in new york city).

i was so excited to set up my new tv. the box was pretty banged up, but i took the tv out and it looked fine. when i turned it on, though, the left third of the screen was messed up -- mostly black with vertical lines of color.

i read the warnings about having a tv shipped from woot, but i guess this is what i get for gambling. also, the tv stand was broken and the remote control was broken.

so disappointing. i had been holding out on buying a flat screen tv for 10 years but couldn't resist this deal! sigh.. i still love woot, but depending on how customer service handles this one, i may have to reconsider purchasing fragile electronics from here in the future. i will update on what happen..

kenrad

Follow-up: spare parts came a few days ago, about as quick as I could have expected. Thanks!

siryn79

my follow up: woot sent me a return label within 24 hours of contacting them. i shipped it on friday and they received it on tuesday. the refund posted to my account today (thursday).

i'm happy with the customer service in general. too bad the tv didn't work out, though. i loved how slim it was and the 3 hdmi ports.