Staff

Poll: Best ice-skating surface:
  • 22% - Frozen pond! So quaint! 363
  • 13.2% - A public park! Such good people watching! 217
  • 25.8% - An indoor rink! So controlled! 425
  • 0.5% - Another place I’ll mention in the comments! 9
  • 38.4% - I don’t like to ice skate. 633
1647 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

computermd82

quality posts: 31 Private Messages computermd82

Why no option for Outdoor rink?? Rockefeller center or Bryant Park for instance?

It's almost that time again. Have to go at least once or twice every holiday season

V'Owl Birthday of Celebrations GIVEAWAY!!!!
"And the man in the rain picked up his bag of secrets, and journeyed up the mountainside, far above the clouds. And nothing was ever heard from him again, except for the sound of Tubular Bells."

halfdeaf

quality posts: 2 Private Messages halfdeaf

I grew up with the Miami-Erie Canal right behind my house. Could skate for MILES...

seekayeff

quality posts: 0 Private Messages seekayeff

if its cold enough, my backyard

epicsatyr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages epicsatyr

Indoor arena for me.....Breaking through ice, and being swept away by a current used to keep me up at night. such a horrible way to go

CatCK

quality posts: 50 Private Messages CatCK

My dad used to build an ice pond in our back yard every winter where I used to pretend I was either Bobby Orr or Peggy Flemming. Loved it. Also, I once visited Central Park and skated at the Wollman rink. That was really cool. There is a small outdoor rink in Detroit called Campus Martius which I have not yet visited. However, I like the ideas of the outdoor rinks.

Note that all those rinks I mentioned are not on lakes that one can crash through. I've always had a fear of that. So, for the choices above, I'd go with the indoor rinks.

jrmav20

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jrmav20

When I was younger, I would always make small rinks on my patio in my backyard. No more than 20 feet long but it was fine for my size.

mkerdmann

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mkerdmann

I grew up on a lake. Definitely MY favorite place to skate! Still love going home during the winter to skate my old routes

RWoodward

quality posts: 58 Private Messages RWoodward
computermd82 wrote:Why no option for Outdoor rink?? Rockefeller center or Bryant Park for instance?

Not to be snarky or anything, but wouldn't that count as a public park?

CatCK

quality posts: 50 Private Messages CatCK
RWoodward wrote:Not to be snarky or anything, but wouldn't that count as a public park?

Around here the small lakes and ponds in public parks are cleared to be ice rinks in the winter. That's how I interpreted it.

maxrfb

quality posts: 8 Private Messages maxrfb

Well, there are plenty of NHL arenas that could be pretty nice for skating on now.

wow. I actually bought a Robot Elvis.
What was I thinking?

tomthewombat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tomthewombat

No option for skating a river? or a canal as mentioned above?

What about flooding the backyard!?

Outdoor rink?

Skating the sidewalks and parking lots after a bad ice storm? (a couple of inches at least)

Whoever made this pole was definitely not from the far north.