zelda26


quality posts: 0 Private Messages zelda26
knightmarcus wrote:My wife has this model and she loves it, she has set all of the places she regularly goes in the one touch

Um... if she regularly goes to those places, why does she repeatedly need a GPS to get there? :O

johnnyslamn


quality posts: 0 Private Messages johnnyslamn
clhug wrote:In looking this model up on the Internet, I see lots of references to just plain 3065 and other references to 3065T-LM which is what Woot shows. Any idea if there's a difference? Just want to make sure I'm comparing properly if I read reviewes of the just plain 3065.



The T is for traffic and the LM is Lifetime Maps.

liana1028


quality posts: 0 Private Messages liana1028

For those that own one of these, how good is the traffic information?

Yay! I got my crap!!
02/15/2008 Random Crap
11/20/2008 Random Crap

Finally! Wine in Maryland

zoneman


quality posts: 2 Private Messages zoneman

Will this arrive by Christmas?

toddles12


quality posts: 2 Private Messages toddles12
IGetUp wrote:The "competitive advantage" is that standalone GPS's use satellite positioning as where phones use phone towers. Big, big difference.



Just about every smartphone sold in the last 2-3 years comes standard with GPS capabilities, which means they use satellites for positioning. They do not use cell phone towers for positioning unless you manually turn off GPS.

insanebullet


quality posts: 0 Private Messages insanebullet

Does the lifetime maps feature come at the expense of in-device advertisements?

clhug


quality posts: 1 Private Messages clhug
toddles12 wrote:Just about every smartphone sold in the last 2-3 years comes standard with GPS capabilities, which means they use satellites for positioning. They do not use cell phone towers for positioning unless you manually turn off GPS.



I guess the original poster you responded to did try to say that, but they misspoke.

No, they don't use cell phone towers for POSITION, but they require cell service for the MAP CONTENT. So if you lose cell service, you can see your position, on a nice blank screen.

There are some specific apps that can be purchased that contain in-memory maps, but you have to explicitly buy those, and have the memory capacity on your phone to support it. The standard navigation tools that come with smart phones do not have in-memory apps and require the cell data connection to display the actual map.

graywh


quality posts: 2 Private Messages graywh
zelda26 wrote:Um... if she regularly goes to those places, why does she repeatedly need a GPS to get there? :O



I was under the impression everyone with a GPS used it all the time. Are you implying people should remember stuff?!

clhug


quality posts: 1 Private Messages clhug
zelda26 wrote:Um... if she regularly goes to those places, why does she repeatedly need a GPS to get there? :O



I've got to say, I wondered the same thing. I need this thing when TRAVELING (something I will take on trips to where I don't go often, or have never been before). As such, I won't have a bunch of pre-set locations I can have one-touch items for. I need to be able to enter addresses, and someone's earlier comment about entering destinations by address manually has me a bit concerned.

jrcaesar


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jrcaesar

First time Woot poster:

Of the various Magellans that I had the chance to test and use in my role as an outside consultant, their 3065 was the one that finally got it right. I have this unit from two years ago, and it's served me well.

vinjoebob


quality posts: 0 Private Messages vinjoebob
zelda26 wrote:Um... if she regularly goes to those places, why does she repeatedly need a GPS to get there? :O



While I can't speak for the original poster, I use it to go to known destinations quite frequently, as it gives you an updated ETA as you drive... nice to know if you have a nagging relative wondering how long it's going to take you to get there.

inkycatz


quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
vinjoebob wrote:While I can't speak for the original poster, I use it to go to known destinations quite frequently, as it gives you an updated ETA as you drive... nice to know if you have a nagging relative wondering how long it's going to take you to get there.


Are we there yet? Are we there yet?

*texts* WHERE ARE YOUUUUU

I'm just hanging out, really.

pnixon


quality posts: 3 Private Messages pnixon
clhug wrote:I've got to say, I wondered the same thing. I need this thing when TRAVELING (something I will take on trips to where I don't go often, or have never been before). As such, I won't have a bunch of pre-set locations I can have one-touch items for. I need to be able to enter addresses, and someone's earlier comment about entering destinations by address manually has me a bit concerned.


I don't find entering addresses manually to present any problem - in fact much easier than my old Tom-Tom.

suspenser


quality posts: 0 Private Messages suspenser
zelda26 wrote:Um... if she regularly goes to those places, why does she repeatedly need a GPS to get there? :O



Real time traffic, isn't that obvious?

Bione


quality posts: 28 Private Messages Bione
clhug wrote:In looking this model up on the Internet, I see lots of references to just plain 3065 and other references to 3065T-LM which is what Woot shows. Any idea if there's a difference? Just want to make sure I'm comparing properly if I read reviewes of the just plain 3065.



Yes, the reviews are exactly the same because the 3065 unit is the same. The "L-TM" refers to lifetime traffic and map updates, which is really just saying that you're entitled to a lifetime subscription for those additional services. The electronics remain the same. This means that any user of a current plain old 3065 can upgrade to a lifetime traffic or map subscription ... for an additional fee, and with some of the caveats already described above (one PC computer, etc).

ctmiller


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ctmiller
clhug wrote:I guess the original poster you responded to did try to say that, but they misspoke.

No, they don't use cell phone towers for POSITION, but they require cell service for the MAP CONTENT. So if you lose cell service, you can see your position, on a nice blank screen.

There are some specific apps that can be purchased that contain in-memory maps, but you have to explicitly buy those, and have the memory capacity on your phone to support it. The standard navigation tools that come with smart phones do not have in-memory apps and require the cell data connection to display the actual map.



Google just released for free offline maps for all Android Phones. You download a selected area of the US to your smartphone and you have the maps in your phone memory. Therefore you don't need data, just your phone with GPS. All for FREE. These GPSs are all obsolete unless you have an iPhone or a WP7/8. Just another reason to leave Apple.

JonPowell


quality posts: 4 Private Messages JonPowell
wootiacDP wrote:I can tell you the one thing your phone can't do is provide you with navigation if you drop off the cellular network. Rural areas or off the main highways, and your phone can leave you hanging.. Unless you buy a nav app with full maps...

There is an advantage for heavy use...



I live in a rural area and use my smart phone all the time as a GPS and never had any problems. I prefer my smart phone GPS than the Magellan GPS I have which is a POS IMO.

uvacitas


quality posts: 0 Private Messages uvacitas

Reviews on C/NET mention that this thing flashes advertisements during use. Is this for real or is it for the "Commuter" model only?!?
http://reviews.cnet.com/car-gps-navigation/magellan-roadmate-3065-commuter/4505-3430_7-34122466.html

whatsamattaU


quality posts: 1077 Private Messages whatsamattaU
ctmiller wrote:Google just released for free offline maps for all Android Phones. You download a selected area of the US to your smartphone and you have the maps in your phone memory. Therefore you don't need data, just your phone with GPS. All for FREE. These GPSs are all obsolete unless you have an iPhone or a WP7/8. Just another reason to leave Apple.



unless
1. You don't have a smartphone (like me)
2. You don't want to give up the privacy for the GPS phone tracking help.

http://gps.about.com/od/gpsproductoverview/a/smartphone-vs-dedicated-gps.htm

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33153_7-57421254-10391733/does-it-still-make-sense-to-buy-a-gps/

http://academics.skidmore.edu/blogs/onlocation/2012/03/smartphone_accuracy/

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parent-cafe/1318957-portable-gps-vs-smartphone.htm


Ed3rd


quality posts: 9 Private Messages Ed3rd
IGetUp wrote:The "competitive advantage" is that standalone GPS's use satellite positioning as where phones use phone towers. Big, big difference.



Actually, the way I understand it all iPhones since the 3G and the iPad Wifi+3G have Broadcom GPS chips. Most current Android phones have GPS chips. The iPod, iPad, and most non-phone Android tablet/PDA devices do NOT have a GPS chip. They rely on a user entered starting point and the accelerometer to guess where they are. I think they might also rely on a database of known wifi hotspots to verify the guess.

A competitive advantage I haven't seen anyone mention yet is a dedicated GPS is actually designed to sit on a car dash in the sun for hours at a time.

All that being said, I'm in for one to replace my aging Mio C310 (yes, THAT Mio C310).



It's a krap! We cannot repel bags of this magnitude!
10/13/06 4/1/07 6/1/07 12/11/08 01/28/10 3/26/10

rlochner


quality posts: 0 Private Messages rlochner
Spankmeister wrote:Bought this brand for my daughter. It was a pile of nut-filled excrement! Steer clear!



I agree with this sentiment. My wife and I were given a magellan as a gift and it is awful compared to other brands I have used (e.g. Garmin).

CuzzinMerl


quality posts: 24 Private Messages CuzzinMerl
vinjoebob wrote:While I can't speak for the original poster, I use it to go to known destinations quite frequently, as it gives you an updated ETA as you drive... nice to know if you have a nagging relative wondering how long it's going to take you to get there.





credit: xkcd.com

Kingonawing


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kingonawing

Trying to buy this GPS and Woot keeps denying the transaction and no problems with the PayPal site. Guess something wants me to NOT Buy this product. Think I'm done with WOOOOOTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ROGETRAY


quality posts: 175 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

Kingonawing wrote:Trying to buy this GPS and Woot keeps denying the transaction and no problems with the PayPal site. Guess something wants me to NOT Buy this product. Think I'm done with WOOOOOTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



Have you tried using other forms of payment? Do you have a CC on your PayPal account?

If you attempt to purchase again, I can request from Member Services to see if there are any issues with your account.

Please repost here if you are still unable to process the transaction.

Sincerely,
Woot Staff

gdarland


quality posts: 4 Private Messages gdarland
countertenor wrote:It seems that standalone GPS systems are becoming obsolete with the use of smartphones. It would be nice if GPS units offered some kind of competitive advantage, like voice recognition for address and data input.



I have the TomTom VIA 1530TM 5" LCD Portable Automotive GPS which does in fact have voice recognition. I press a button, it asks me where I want to go, I tell it, and it gives me directions. I bought it from Costco almost a year ago for $119 and for the life of me, I cannot figure out why there are so many horrible reviews for this unit. I drive around town all day long for work, and find this unit to be invaluable just on the voice recognition alone.

gtd4912123

bvdbobcat


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bvdbobcat
zelda26 wrote:Um... if she regularly goes to those places, why does she repeatedly need a GPS to get there? :O



Some times you aren't always starting from the same location. I use 'home' all the time when I'm at different locations just to get to an area where I'm familiar.

bonkernrh


quality posts: 2 Private Messages bonkernrh
dk2943 wrote:I bought one of these a couple years ago. Great GPS. However, the updates only work if you have a PC. They do not work if you have a MAC.




Why would anyone spend twice the money for a MAC anyway?

charterarms


quality posts: 0 Private Messages charterarms
sudeepk wrote:Does it indicate the speed limits?



No