WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

For The Autumn Cyclist...

Nature, like you, prefers cycles. It's just Nature's cycles involve weather patterns and yours involve chains and spokes. But you two deserve each other, really. Gear up and hit the autumn outdoors! Lovely foliage, you know.

Quality Posts

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

Where is your favorite place to bike in the fall, and will this gear help you out?

I'm just hanging out, really.

ulkesh

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ulkesh
inkycatz wrote:Where is your favorite place to bike in the fall, and will this gear help you out?

There's 62 miles of paved trails, converted railway lines, that run near my home. It followings along a river, through some fields, and other beautiful scenery. In summer it's great, but in fall the colors are simply stunning. Definitely my favorite place to ride.

As for the gear... Not really. I have a tracking computer (my phone), I have lights, and I have packs. The only thing I don't have (yet) is another set of thermals to keep warm while cycling.

pz@woot

quality posts: 7 Private Messages pz@woot

Nano Lux Product Site

Couldn't find reviews on sites where it was being sold. All in $80 range

Signature oh signature, cannot think
of something clever...

fightingpillow

quality posts: 5 Private Messages fightingpillow

Amazon has some reviews on the vetta sky rider headlights. This review seemed helpful: "Sooo, you get what you pay for, but for 27$ I got 4 reliable years of use. It withstood rain, mud and several crashes before the mount broke in a really nasty crash at night. If your looking for a "be seen" with a little "to see" this is a great option with good battery life. It also has on of the better mount designs I've seen, and is easy to take out and use as a flashlight. If you're planning on riding more than 10-15 mph at night though, I'd recommend something brighter. I went out and spent the 100$ for a rechargeable 300 lumen light after that crash, and do at night appreciate it, but this cut it for 4 years."

zaskar1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zaskar1

i wouldnt recommend the sky rider ... the brightness is way too low for any decent ride

Brightness 78 lux ( High ) 42 lux

http://www.vetta.com/Cycling-Lights/Cycling-Headlights/Sky-Rider-Cycling-Headlight

titangears

quality posts: 9 Private Messages titangears

Here are a couple of reviews on this light (and the tail light - each sold on different Woots today):

http://uscyclingreport.com/content/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1010&Itemid=33

http://uscyclingreport.com/content/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1241&Itemid=33

Addicted to cycling and gadgets..

drcheeba

quality posts: 0 Private Messages drcheeba

I wonder IF this could be used on CAR WHEELS? The only reason I think this would be cool; would be for that "MPH/SPEED" mode where it showed the speed of the bike. After I saw that "MODE" previewed on the product video; All I could think of was: "HOW AWESOME IT WOULD BE IF I HAD THE 4-WHEELS ON MY 1991 FORD MUSTANG GT 5.0L DISPLAYING 120MPH AT ONCE." (I can modify anything to fit and be used on any car.)

But then I also thought how much more easy it will be for COPS to keep pulling me over...Like having a COP next to me while on the highway and him not caring for anything at that moment except those warm and freshly baked/fried donuts at DUNKIN DONUTS; to then look over to the car next to him (me driving) and think to himself THESE DAMN STREET RACERS KEEP MAKING MY JOB EASIER AND I DON'T HAVE TO LOOK FOR THEM, THEY COME TO ME BEGGING FOR A SPEEDING TICKET WHILE DISPLAYING THEIR SPEED IN BRIGHT NEON ON HIS TIRES...I GOTTA TAKE A PICTURE OF THIS BECAUSE NO ONE WILL BELIEVE HOW STUPID THIS KID WAS.

Anyone else think the same?

Stupoopy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Stupoopy
drcheeba wrote:I wonder IF this could be used on CAR WHEELS? The only reason I think this would be cool; would be for that "MPH/SPEED" mode where it showed the speed of the bike. After I saw that "MODE" previewed on the product video; All I could think of was: "HOW AWESOME IT WOULD BE IF I HAD THE 4-WHEELS ON MY 1991 FORD MUSTANG GT 5.0L DISPLAYING 120MPH AT ONCE." (I can modify anything to fit and be used on any car.)

But then I also thought how much more easy it will be for COPS to keep pulling me over...Like having a COP next to me while on the highway and him not caring for anything at that moment except those warm and freshly baked/fried donuts at DUNKIN DONUTS; to then look over to the car next to him (me driving) and think to himself THESE DAMN STREET RACERS KEEP MAKING MY JOB EASIER AND I DON'T HAVE TO LOOK FOR THEM, THEY COME TO ME BEGGING FOR A SPEEDING TICKET WHILE DISPLAYING THEIR SPEED IN BRIGHT NEON ON HIS TIRES...I GOTTA TAKE A PICTURE OF THIS BECAUSE NO ONE WILL BELIEVE HOW STUPID THIS KID WAS.

Anyone else think the same?

What.

kenney9226

quality posts: 6 Private Messages kenney9226

In the pictures of the saddle bag, you don't show it attached to the saddle properly.

The strap hooks through the saddle rails and then loops down around the bottom of the bag to latch. Like a belt around the bag that goes through the two belt loops in the saddle rails.

Just so you know...

Junior2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Junior2

Have I missed sumpin? The info on the Vetta RT233 bike computer doesn't say it displays speed--which I want to know.

jratma

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jratma

Man, I like that Ready Now bike bag, but the $5 shipping fee just kills the deal- almost doubles the price. Too bad there's nothing else on woot I have a use for right now.

majhimujhuko

quality posts: 0 Private Messages majhimujhuko

Regarding the FX lighting kits, don't buy them. The "Wheel Writer" part only displays the effect on one side of the back wheel (don't think it can even mount properly to the front) and unless you have multiple kits to attach to a single bike, even if you're reaching speeds of 15mph, it ends up looking like a spinning bar of light: nothing like a solid picture. Just FYI.

kimthekimist

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kimthekimist
inkycatz wrote:Where is your favorite place to bike in the fall, and will this gear help you out?

I ride in Minneapolis where sunset is now before 5pm-lights are very useful. It would be nice if there was some cold weather gear too!

unpetitfou

quality posts: 2 Private Messages unpetitfou
fightingpillow wrote:Amazon has some reviews on the vetta sky rider headlights. This review seemed helpful: "Sooo, you get what you pay for, but for 27$ I got 4 reliable years of use. It withstood rain, mud and several crashes before the mount broke in a really nasty crash at night. If your looking for a "be seen" with a little "to see" this is a great option with good battery life. It also has on of the better mount designs I've seen, and is easy to take out and use as a flashlight. If you're planning on riding more than 10-15 mph at night though, I'd recommend something brighter. I went out and spent the 100$ for a rechargeable 300 lumen light after that crash, and do at night appreciate it, but this cut it for 4 years."

Actually, it looks like the review from Amazon was for a single 3-LED light. The Sky Rider product reviews from Amazon are here: http://www.amazon.com/Vetta-Sky-Rider-Bicycle-Headlights/dp/B001299FNQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1352307608&sr=1-1&keywords=vetta+sky+rider

It looks as though these lights are best suited for being seen, not for illuminating your own path very well. Which, for most purposes, is a perfectly good function. Unless you are "poaching trails," like the US Cycling report reviewers.

I may be in for a pair of the Sky Riders anyway, for the longer rides I take with my husband that extend into the evening hours. I'd feel pretty safe (and visible to drivers) with them.

eddie98700

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eddie98700

Nature prefers bicycles but what is the purpose of battery powered lights. Batteries are quite harmful to the environment and people usually don't dispose of them properly. It is very hard to recycle a battery because of the chemicals inside. Woot, you should promote cheap hand cranked LED light bicycle headlights/tailights or solar powered ones. I would buy one in an instant.

gbatte10

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gbatte10
Junior2 wrote:Have I missed sumpin? The info on the Vetta RT233 bike computer doesn't say it displays speed--which I want to know.

I got one for my brother. Yes, it shows the speed, trip distance, and more. You can find it here, http://www.vetta.com/cycling-computers/RT-Series/RT233-Wired-Cycling-Computer