WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Happy Music Monday! This week we're gonna talk about politics… no, no, no, put down your torches and pitchforks, Scott doesn't really care who you're voting for, he just cares about the music. That's why you'll be finding a wide variety of political ideas in the songs below. And if you don't like them? Add your own! Here's a nice one to start us off right:

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Sweet Home Alabama

If you've ever stopped the radio on a classic rock station in the South, you've heard this song. But there's a chance you don't know it was also an answer song! Ronnie Van Zant wrote the song as a reply to Southern Man by his friend, Neil Young. But take note of Van Zant's anti-racism message too. This isn't a "redneck gettin' angry at Canada" song, this is a smart Southerner making a logical rebuttal... that also happens to have some great guitar.

We got four more inside, just after the jump. And, hey, remember to use your right to vote, okay? No matter who you like.

As always remember our new Spotify playlist will be featuring a great selection from last week's Music Monday comments. The theme of the mix this time is Halloween Songs. Enjoy the spooky magic one last time! But before you start reminiscing, check out our current Music Monday. See you after the jump?

Rage Against The Machine - Killing In The Name Of (NSFW because of all the f-bombs)

Rage Against The Machine offers a pretty complex package. Their sound is irresistible to angry young men, but some find them too leftist in their politics. They're very anti-establishment, but they're also rich from being on a major label. Well, ultimately they're just entertainers, right? At least you gotta respect how Tom Morello makes that guitar sing.

Phil Ochs - Love Me I'm A Liberal

Here's one you might not have heard! The great Phil Ochs, contemporary of Bob Dylan and part of the '60s folk movement, explaining the trouble with liberals. Of course there's a lot of sarcasm involved (and I don't think anyone would ever think that Ochs would have voted for Nixon) but it's a point well made about the nature of hypocrisy in politics.

Warren Zevon - Lawyers, Guns And Money (features one NSFW s-bomb hitting the fan)

Think really hard about the candidate you don't like, on either side. It's always the same thing, right? Be it Ted Kennedy, George Bush, or Al Gore's son, having a rich daddy always helps when there's trouble. Warren Zevon's tribute to a crisis covers the hot spots of the Cold War very well, but it also reminds us: sometimes those "youthful indiscretions" would land a non-politician in prison. Plus this is a great song, and that's the real reason it's included.

Jimi Hendrix - The Star Spangled Banner

When Hendrix fuzzed up the National Anthem, a lot of people took offense. But today, after Roseanne's infamous mis-singing and Christina Aguilera skipping lyrics, it's hard to say Hendrix's version was anything but loving. And that's why he's our closer, to remind us that we've got plenty of room for different ideas in our nation. If we don't both agree, maybe it's not that one of us is right… maybe we're both equally wrong.

See? Politics doesn't have to be about hating each other! So come together with us in the comments and add your favorite songs from whatever political viewpoint you like, in honor of our right to free elections. Then come meet up in our Turntable.fm room for the regular Music Monday enjoyment. Also, let us just remind you: some images come from the corresponding Wikipedia page and are here under fair use.

Quality Posts

chicken0102

quality posts: 41 Private Messages chicken0102

Not really sure if it fits in the same way that the rest of Scott's songs do, but there was the viral "This Land is Your Land" parody by JibJab for the 2004 election.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JibJab#.22This_Land.22

tslothrop

quality posts: 12 Private Messages tslothrop

mossygreen

quality posts: 71 Private Messages mossygreen

RWoodward

quality posts: 58 Private Messages RWoodward

The 60s & 70s gave us all those memorable political protest songs... Crosby, Stills & Nash's Ohio springs to mind immediately as does the "Feel Like I'm Fixin' to Die Rag" by Country Joe & The Fish.

And if you include International politics, Virtually any song ever composed by a Scot or Irishman going back to the 1600s. From "Sunday, Bloody Sunday" to "The Foggy Dew" and "Four Green Fields" on the Irish side to "The Green Hills of Tyroll," "Farewell to Nova Scotia" and "Barrett's Privateers" for the Scots and Scot-Canadians.

CowboyDann

quality posts: 716 Private Messages CowboyDann

I got a couple
Bob Dylan - Times they are a changin

A Bunch of dirty hippies - Ohio

bradleycorn

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bradleycorn

FTW!

JCTreb

quality posts: 1 Private Messages JCTreb

Joe Walsh. "Vote for Me"

kirnkorner2001

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kirnkorner2001

AC/DC - Money Talks

http://youtu.be/PmyzFsYEdco

DennisG2010

quality posts: 19 Private Messages DennisG2010

Wouldn't be the eve of the election without this one:

RadioCarla

quality posts: 1 Private Messages RadioCarla

"Vote for Me" by Chicago
Album: Chicago XI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSsIAmz7cuA

CatCK

quality posts: 50 Private Messages CatCK

"Won't Get Fooled Again", by The Who in 1971

"Revolution", by the Beatles in 1968

hobbified

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hobbified

Sitting on the sofa on a Sunday afternoon
Going to the candidates debate
Laugh about it, shout about it,
When you've got to choose
Any way you look at it, you lose

And here's to you, Mrs. Robinson...

snaylor34

quality posts: 2 Private Messages snaylor34

Bob Dylan - "Masters of War"
System of a Down - "Prison Song", "Deer Dance", "BYOB"
Radiohead - "Electioneering"
Muse - "Take a Bow"
Lupe Fiasco - "Round My Way"
Skinless - "A Unilateral Disgust"
Lily Allen - "F--- You"
Black Sabbath - "War Pigs"
Dream Theater - "The Great Debate"

mossygreen

quality posts: 71 Private Messages mossygreen
DennisG2010 wrote:Wouldn't be the eve of the election without this one:

Ah, you're reading my mind!

LarryLars

quality posts: 65 Private Messages LarryLars

"Convention '72" by The Delegates

Lyrics and ID of the song snippets used can be found in this discussion thread.

!

Have you checked your Private Messages lately?

docflash

quality posts: 16 Private Messages docflash

imnsfho, the best political song in history was sung by Ed Sanders and the Fugs in their second album. It's called 'Wide, Wide River' (though better known as 'River of promises.') One memorable lines is "why is it we always end up going for the lesser of two evils? Was George Washington the lesser of two evils? Sometimes I wonder . . ."

It's not safe for work and maybe not safe for home.

Here's a link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wa13uxFeoE

"i don't know how I got over the hill without getting to the top." --anon
more quotes.

strawhousepig

quality posts: 60 Private Messages strawhousepig

How could I forget! [NSFW] Nomeansno - My Politics

kchoschton

quality posts: 17 Private Messages kchoschton

Don Henley - End of the Innocence. And Genesis, Land of Confusion. Yeah, I'm an 80's MTV generation kid.

RWoodward

quality posts: 58 Private Messages RWoodward

Oh crap, I completely forgot Green Day. American I-d-i-o-t was a total indictment of the far right.

strawhousepig

quality posts: 60 Private Messages strawhousepig
Mr. Lydon wrote:strawhousepig actually bought something!

Hello, tried to point that out last week. :p

Slydon

quality posts: 17 Private Messages Slydon

Staff

strawhousepig wrote:Hello, tried to point that out last week. :p

How did I miss that? Guess I was rushing to get back to the trick-or-treating.

Hi, I'm one of the writers. My powers are limited but I'll do what I can.