2%
1%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootalyzer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wootalyzer

Wootalyzer's Pricing Post! - The price of today's woot item is saved here for future reference
------------------------------------------------------------
JVC 1080p LCD HDTV
$449.99 + $5 Standard Shipping
Condition: Refurbished

*DISCLAIMER* Wootalyzer! is in no way affiliated with Woot!, and this post may not always be here!

dcabal

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dcabal

4.5 stars on 13 reviews on Amazon for the 47" model

http://www.amazon.com/JVC-JLC47BC3000-47-Inch-1080p-LCD/dp/B0056VM8OO

coolbreeze

quality posts: 0 Private Messages coolbreeze

Ahh, you ship in a brown paper bag, hey? I like it already...!

harriswhite

quality posts: 0 Private Messages harriswhite

Has anyone read any reviews on this TV?

gravityisweak

quality posts: 27 Private Messages gravityisweak

For use as a computer monitor, is there a noticeable difference between 1080p and 720?

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1071 Private Messages whatsamattaU

To be clear, 32" $199.99, 37" $249.99, 42" $349.99, 47" $449.99

manual for all 4 TV's, looks like:
http://resources.jvc.com/Resources/00/01/51/18.PDF

Link to the 47": if you go to the bottom of the page, you can find links to the other 3
http://tv.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL028922&pathId=200&page=10

Your thighness, if that's you in the picture, the copyrighted next line would be "Does she come with the TV?"

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 589 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

whatsamattaU wrote:Your thighness, if that's you in the picture, the copyrighted next line would be "Does she come with the TV?"

We both wish that was me in that picture.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

dcabal

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dcabal

although only 2.5 stars on pcmag's review

"If you want a large HDTV with a less-than-$1,000 list price, the JVC JLC47B3000 is one of the few displays that qualify. Unfortunately, its almost-nonexistent feature set and middling picture quality can't justify its price tag,"

but that was at $949 and that was in november 2011.

cleverett

quality posts: 29 Private Messages cleverett
gravityisweak wrote:For use as a computer monitor, is there a noticeable difference between 1080p and 720?

Absolutely. The native resolution of this monitor is 1920x1080. A 720p monitor is 1280x720 (or 1366x768, depending on the unit)...far too low of a resolution for use as a computer monitor.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 589 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

dcabal wrote:although only 2.5 stars on pcmag's review

"If you want a large HDTV with a less-than-$1,000 list price, the JVC JLC47B3000 is one of the few displays that qualify. Unfortunately, its almost-nonexistent feature set and middling picture quality can't justify its price tag,"

but that was at $949 and that was in november 2011.

It's best to include links when referring to reviews. Thanks!

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

ardubu

quality posts: 8 Private Messages ardubu

I had a JVC Stereo Reciever - Bad.
I had a JVC Camcorder - Bad.
I had a JVC Car Stereo - Bad.
I had a set of JVC Headphones - Bad.
Why would I buy this?
Because I never learned!
HA! Yes, I did. I bought Sony and Sharp LED HDTV's - GOOD!

If you want, you pay...
But, if you need, you pay more!

whinestein

quality posts: 5 Private Messages whinestein

Bought a 42" recently and it's really good with good sound. Mother in law has it hooked up to SD cable, not HD, and picture is much better than I expected from other tvs.

dernst_ca1

quality posts: 38 Private Messages dernst_ca1

I'm looking for a 24" got any of those laying around?

-JMHSRV

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com

yogi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yogi

Anybody know which formats the video player supports (via USB)? I can't find it in the manual.

Eratosthenes

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Eratosthenes

I have the 32" model (exact same one) that I bought for $300 new from Amazon back in May of this year. I am very happy with it!

The price was a steal at $300 (and I had to leap on it once one was stocked, as it's constantly out-of-stock on Amazon) and I'm actually tempted to buy a second one at this price for no other reason than to get a second one.

I am a videophile - I have a B.A. in Arts & Technology (specialization in Computer Animation) and I get perfect scores on so-called "Color IQ" tests - and I really do enjoy this screen. Sure, it's not a high-end Samsung LED display, but it is very very nice for the price.

The colors and contrast on this screen are super-rich. I LOVE bright colors and high contrast (I'd plug my art website to prove my point, but I ain't no sellout, yo) but on this TV I generally have to keep fairly moderate color/contrast settings by my standards because this TV's actually TOO effective with them and can easily destroy an otherwise acceptable image if the settings are too extreme. Also, the blacks, even in a dark room and not viewed dead-on, are very rich...especially considering this is not an LED display. One look at the model line's name ("BlackCrystal 3000") and you know that rich blacks were at the top of the dev team's list.

The viewing angle is excellent. Viewing the screen dead-on is ideal, as with any LCD, and the color shift off-center is really quite minimal. Other than that initial shift from perfect in the center, there is effectively zero color/contrast pollution when viewing the screen from ANY angle. I've literally smushed my face up to the side of the bezel to try and sneak a peak at any form of bad viewing angle on this TV and I honestly can't find one.

The sound is incredible for built-in speakers. I have never been a fan of TVs or stations that automatically adjust the volume to be louder in quiet spots and quieter in louder spots (in fact I've almost universally hated it) but this TV seems to do it smoothly and subtly enough that I hardly ever even notice it.

ONE NOTE THOUGH: If you have the fancy faux-surround-sound thingy turned on along with the TruVolume adjustimicator turned on, MAKE SURE you turn down your volume before you click on a menu item on your Wii. The HISSSS/whoosh noise that a Wii makes when it zooms in on the home screen menu is REALLY SUPER LOUD and too short for the TV to auto-adjust itself.

One more thing: I have seen loooots of HDTVs that take forever to turn on...anywhere up to 50 seconds. This TV thankfully comes in at the quick end. The backlight turns on in about a second, there's a very brief JVC logo, and then it goes to its last-used input and loads the feed. Average turn-on time for mine from power button pressed to completely on is about 5-6 seconds (more like 8-10 seconds on HDMI input).

I set out several years ago in search of a Samsung 32" 1080p HDTV for $300 or under. After ages of waiting I decided on this TV as a graduation present for myself, and I am very happy with it.

sdc100

quality posts: 506 Private Messages sdc100
gravityisweak wrote:For use as a computer monitor, is there a noticeable difference between 1080p and 720?

That really depends on the size of the screen. The larger the screen, the more noticeable the difference. For a 32" monitor, most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two at about 5' away (the minimum recommended viewing distance). Keep in mind that 720p TVs can display 1080i, so the resolution is equivalent. Progressive scanning (the 'p') is only important in moving images because it allows a smoother picture. So if you mostly look at static images, i.e. text or webpages, or interlaced (the 'i') sources, then 1080p is unnecessary. Also note that currently, no TV stations are broadcasting in 1080p. They're either 720p or 1080i. 1080p is used mostly in Blu-Ray discs and action video games. Regardless, I wouldn't recommend anything beyond 27" for a computer monitor where you'll read a lot of text.

NuLLx42

quality posts: 1 Private Messages NuLLx42

Warning! the 37 and 32 inch do not do video according to the spec table. Only picture. Can anyone confirm or deny?

danwat1234

quality posts: 5 Private Messages danwat1234

Keep in mind with these 1080p HD TVS, they WILL eventually be obsolete. HD+ is coming out eventually, which is beyond the resolution of full HD, more like 2160p. So if you are buying a TV now, thinking it's future proof, it's not.

Eratosthenes

sdc100 wrote:That really depends on the size of the screen. The larger the screen, the more noticeable the difference. For a 32" monitor, most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two at about 5' away (the minimum recommended viewing distance). Keep in mind that 720p TVs can display 1080i, so the resolution is equivalent. Progressive scanning (the 'p') is only important in moving images because it allows a smoother picture. So if you mostly look at static images, i.e. text or webpages, or interlaced (the 'i') sources, then 1080p is unnecessary. Also note that currently, no TV stations are broadcasting in 1080p. They're either 720p or 1080i. 1080p is used mostly in Blu-Ray discs and action video games. Regardless, I wouldn't recommend anything beyond 27" for a computer monitor where you'll read a lot of text.

Regarding 1080i and 720p being equivalent resolutions, I respectfully disagree. 720 has a resolution of either 1280x720 or 1366x768 (921,600 or 1,049,088 total pixels) depending on the screen, while 1080 has a resolution of 1920x1080 (2,073,600 total pixels).

I'm going to assume that you know the differences, but I feel compelled by my Adderall to explain this in detail for anyone else that might be interested.

Full HD has more than double the total amount of pixels of 720HD, which means that double the amount of information can be displayed by the computer. This means that more icons, windows, or text can fit onto the screen.

The "p" and "i" have to do with the signal of the video. "P" in this case means progressive-scan, meaning that ALL of the image is sent at-once to the display. If a signal is 1080 HD 30p, that means that on every 1/30th of a second, a complete 1080 HD image is sent to the TV. If the signal were instead 720 HD and 24p, then a complete 720 HD image would be sent to the screen every 1/24th of a second.

The "i" in 1080i stands for "interlaced". Interlaced videos send their images in halves. A full HD image is 1920 pixels wide and 1080 pixels tall. What 1080i interlacing does is send images that are 1920 pixels wide but only 540 pixels tall. Interlaced HD signals are usually 1080 @ 60i, which means that they send half of an HD image once every 1/60th of a second. It splits the image in rows of odd and even pixels, sending the odd rows first and the even rows second. Once they reach the display , they're put back together into one image again.

Since progressive videos usually run at 30 frames-per-second and interlaced images usually run at 60 half-frames-per-second, the assembled image on the display will refresh as the exact same rate between 720p and 1080i. The difference is that, for static images, 1080i has more than double 720p's resolution.

Interlaced images are considered inferior to progressive signals when movement is involved, though, because of the way they work. Since the two halves of an interlaced image arrive at the display 1/60th of a second apart from each other, they sometimes don't line up perfectly. If something on-screen is moving quickly, it will appear artificially stretched or oddly blurred on the TV, while the same video sent with a progressive signal won't suffer from any artificial blurring like that.

Eratosthenes

NuLLx42 wrote:Warning! the 37 and 32 inch do not do video according to the spec table. Only picture. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Confirmed. I honestly had to plug in a stick and see what my options were, though. I think I may have messed with it once on the day I got the TV, but for me it's a pretty superfluous feature to have (possibly because I have a full-fledged computer hooked up to the TV, amongst other things). That being said, the menu system for the photos/slideshow looks very pretty and clean and seems to run rather smoothly.

alokeprasad

quality posts: 1 Private Messages alokeprasad

Can it be mounted on the wall?

I didn't see the mounting points in the picture of the back of the TV.

alokeprasad

quality posts: 1 Private Messages alokeprasad
Eratosthenes wrote:Confirmed. I honestly had to plug in a stick and see what my options were, though. I think I may have messed with it once on the day I got the TV, but for me it's a pretty superfluous feature to have (possibly because I have a full-fledged computer hooked up to the TV, amongst other things). That being said, the menu system for the photos/slideshow looks very pretty and clean and seems to run rather smoothly.

R U talking about playback of video files on a USB stick?

Eratosthenes

alokeprasad wrote:R U talking about playback of video files on a USB stick?

Yes I am. The smaller ones can only display photos from a USB stick, not videos.

As far as mounting, mine is currently mounted to my wall. It accepts standard VESA 200 brackets and the TV weighs only 20 pounds (the 32" version that I have), so you can get away with mounting it for pretty cheap. I think my turn/tilt/swivel arm wall mount was $15 or so from Amazon.

wootuser1967

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wootuser1967

VESA mount... in the specs. You'll need to provide the wall bracket or kite string.

alokeprasad wrote:Can it be mounted on the wall?

I didn't see the mounting points in the picture of the back of the TV.

CaptFear

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CaptFear

Amazon reviews slam the 32 and 37 saying they quit working after a couple of months. The woot TVs are refurbs which makes me wonder if these are the ones that got returned from retail buyers experiencing the same thing. That may not be a bad thing if they upgraded what went wrong (ie. bad cap in power supply). I think I will wait for black Friday deal on a new TV though.

lrsmithwhaley

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lrsmithwhaley

While higher resolution tv's are coming out, viewing distance does play a part in that. The 2k, and 4k tv's coming out won't really be a leap for most consumers, especially if they buy a smaller size tv. Numbers are one thing, actual usability is another.

danwat1234 wrote:Keep in mind with these 1080p HD TVS, they WILL eventually be obsolete. HD+ is coming out eventually, which is beyond the resolution of full HD, more like 2160p. So if you are buying a TV now, thinking it's future proof, it's not.

comma

quality posts: 12 Private Messages comma

Get it while you can! Woot doesn't sell LCDs very often.

dtumd

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dtumd

ok, lets talk about something important. Is that Minka Kelly on the tv picture?

Tatts

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Tatts
sdc100 wrote:That really depends on the size of the screen. The larger the screen, the more noticeable the difference. For a 32" monitor, most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two at about 5' away (the minimum recommended viewing distance).

That has nothing to do with using it as a computer monitor. When used that way, a 720 (or 768) px display is very poor for reading text.
The reason that 720 is fine for video is completely different. The video does not, generally have much high contrast difference from one pixel to the next nor a static display that highlights the problem. And, unlike video, it's very difficult to scale a computer display to anything other than native resolution without serious display artifacts.

And, JVC has pulled out of the US market and is just licensing their name to other manufacturers (like Polaroid does). I don't know if these are pre-pull out or post. I've had good luck with JVC TVs in the past, but that was when JVC actually made them.

vagel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vagel

At this price for a refurb, I'd expect LED backlighting. Like this one: http://tech.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5233896

At least the 42 and 47 inch sets have 120hz to keep scrolling text clean.

dliidlii

quality posts: 34 Private Messages dliidlii

Sears is advertising a 39" 1080P LCD TV for 279 NEW,

tomh922

quality posts: 3 Private Messages tomh922

Dang the 32's are gone already. I've been wanting a bigger monitor. Although I noticed the 32 and the 37 are only 60 HZ refresh. I'm not sure how much difference that makes.

Eratosthenes

tomh922 wrote:Dang the 32's are gone already. I've been wanting a bigger monitor. Although I noticed the 32 and the 37 are only 60 HZ refresh. I'm not sure how much difference that makes.

Since the majority of monitors are 60Hz, it probably wouldn't have been noticeable to you.

olcubmaster

quality posts: 30 Private Messages olcubmaster

If you can hold out until Black Friday deals, Best Buy will have a limited quanitity of Toshiba 50" 1080p - 60hz LCD/LED for $399 Model: (50L2200U) w/2 HDMI inputs, PC video input and USB port.

New stock - mixed reviews.

http://bfads.net/Ad/Best-Buy-2012

Sugar 'em up and send 'em home

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
dliidlii wrote:Sears is advertising a 39" 1080P LCD TV for 279 NEW,

Links, friend. Links.

I'm just hanging out, really.

Ezpcconcepts

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Ezpcconcepts

In for a 42in. The gaming mode and 3 HDMIs sold me not to mention the consumer reports best buy moniker. One thing though, why is there no square trade warranty link on these?

EnigmaV8

quality posts: 0 Private Messages EnigmaV8
comma wrote:Get it while you can! Woot doesn't sell LCDs very often.

You must be new to woot. :\

mrsly69

quality posts: 27 Private Messages mrsly69
comma wrote:Get it while you can! Woot doesn't sell LCDs very often.

Sarcasm is a poor substitute for wit.

Eratosthenes

Ezpcconcepts wrote:In for a 42in. The gaming mode and 3 HDMIs sold me not to mention the consumer reports best buy moniker. One thing though, why is there no square trade warranty link on these?

TVs are rectangles, silly.