Poll: Grossest thing about hotels?
  • 54% - Bed bugs 897
  • 9.9% - Noisy neighbors (if ya know what we mean) 164
  • 18.3% - Hair in the drain 304
  • 5.6% - That disinfectant smell 93
  • 5.4% - The lukewarm pool 90
  • 6.7% - Other (comments, please) 112
1660 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

dunderhead

quality posts: 7 Private Messages dunderhead

I used to work as a housekeeping manager, and I think that the comforters are the worst since they aren't washed very frequently.

regards,
dunderhead

trixierix

quality posts: 1 Private Messages trixierix

In college I stayed at a motel 6 that had pubic hairs in the towels, fleas and only gave you one toilet paper roll at a time. But for $30/night we made due...ah, college life.

collett73

quality posts: 2 Private Messages collett73
dunderhead wrote:I used to work as a housekeeping manager, and I think that the comforters are the worst since they aren't washed very frequently.

I agree with this. You never know what bodily fluids are on those things. We always pull them all the way to the foot of the bed when we get into a room. They usually end up on the floor.

mlkpsu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mlkpsu

Bedspreads and blankets, which aren't washed every time.

gholt121

quality posts: 3 Private Messages gholt121

Toe nail clippings embedded into the carpet. YUCK!

Proud Woot!er since 2005.

Jeepinls

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jeepinls

I have learned to pull off the comforter, as other posts mention. Many times the sheets aren't changed either. Recently checked into one with ummm a large obvious area of use on the top sheet. YUCK!!!!

ardubu

quality posts: 6 Private Messages ardubu

I like looking under the bed - I found a condom, a bag of M&M's, and a $20 bill once! I had a good time, yes-sir-e-bob!

If you want, you pay...
But, if you need, you pay more!

wootgf

quality posts: 3 Private Messages wootgf
dunderhead wrote:I used to work as a housekeeping manager, and I think that the comforters are the worst since they aren't washed very frequently.

This. I worked the front desk at a hotel for a couple months in college. They rarely ever washed the comforters.

curtisuxor

quality posts: 56 Private Messages curtisuxor

wingedsurfgirl

quality posts: 25 Private Messages wingedsurfgirl

This for sure. I was going to post this very same thing. I worked at a hotel front desk as well, and yes... Avoid those comforters and blankets like the plague. Double check the sheets too. I once ended up in a luxury suite in Hawaii by mistake as it hadn't been cleaned yet. We only determined it when I went to climb into my bed to find pubic hairs ALL OVER, as well as waxing strips, blood, and god knows what else. I ask for clean sheets now, usually remake the bed no matter what, and put an extra clean sheet on the top. Fold the sheet over the blankets and don't ever let them touch you.
I also always check under the bed, in the closets, cupboards, etc. I have a fear someone may be hiding somewhere. Though my most recent find was illegal drugs and some legal narcotics, inside a cigarette box in a non-smoking room. I also don't like the platform style beds. There was a hotel that had them here in town, and a hooker was murdered and her body stuffed in there. I've been creeped out ever since.

richardlb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages richardlb

All of the above

SXN

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SXN

i work at a hotel; you don't really want to know...

leharris

quality posts: 0 Private Messages leharris

yep! That gets my vote.

beaglebrains

quality posts: 4 Private Messages beaglebrains

:x ....I'm never going anywhere again.

BooferFTW

quality posts: 4 Private Messages BooferFTW

The bedding, yes. Bleh I need a Silkwood shower just thinking about the comforters and blankets in a hotel.

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com

charliecarroll

quality posts: 104 Private Messages charliecarroll
ardubu wrote:I like looking under the bed - I found a condom, a bag of M&M's, and a $20 bill once! I had a good time, yes-sir-e-bob!

With all three????

YUK!

myfester

quality posts: 4 Private Messages myfester

And my mom laughs at my husband and I because when we travel, we bring our own pillows and comforters. When we go to a hotel, we look like we're moving in...because of all the loads of stuff we bring in. Now I feel justified (and still a lot grossed out!)

buddyboy9

quality posts: 1 Private Messages buddyboy9

People Juice!

buddyboy9

wirechief

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wirechief
buddyboy9 wrote:People Juice!

I was just getting on here to say people juice. We thought we were the only people that said that.

natalieug

quality posts: 11 Private Messages natalieug

The pillows!

pinkfreakindonut

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pinkfreakindonut

Remote controls. Especially if the buttons are all gummed up. Just think about people and pay-per-view Pilgrims.

olperfesser

quality posts: 2 Private Messages olperfesser

We travel a lot, always bring our own pillows. We also try to stay at some place other than the low end hotels. Hard to do when visiting relatives in a small town...

webslappy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages webslappy

Really surprised that bedding wasn't a choice but looks like the commenters picked up the oversight.

epicsatyr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages epicsatyr

Bed bugs has my vote....crap like that will keep me up at night

charast

quality posts: 0 Private Messages charast

pubic hair anywhere!! ack!! (I just threw up in my mouth a bit just thinking of it).

kmc4637

quality posts: 3 Private Messages kmc4637

When I first left home for college, my stepmom went with me to help me move in, and we decided to go earlier than we were expected so that we could look around the city. So we stayed in a hotel, and when we got in there, there were huge sections of the carpet that were WET. Not damp, SOAKED. We had no interest in finding out what the substance was either. We pulled the comforters off the beds so that we could walk over those sections of the floor (always with socks on). Don't even feel a little bit bad. There might have been other nasty things in that room, but all that's faded in comparison to the wet floors. We ended up getting moved to a cleaner room. I've never been in a room that bad since.

Rev.SpongeBobSP

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Rev.SpongeBobSP

Random unexplainable stains.

ShaggyTx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ShaggyTx

Travel with a small portable fluorescent light to expose how dirty your room is!

rehta

quality posts: 6 Private Messages rehta
ShaggyTx wrote:Travel with a small portable fluorescent light to expose how dirty your room is!

If you do that, you'll never stay anywhere!!

-Heather (First Burgandy Olfactory Center 12/6/11)

drummunkey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages drummunkey

So, it is really true that they are not washed between guests? To me, the beds are defintely the nastiest part. Not really concerned with bed bugs as much as just other peoples' general funk, fluids and whatever else they leave behind. Gross.

lynnp2632

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lynnp2632

Lumpy, soft mattresses that sag, box springs that WIGGLE, and pillows that can't be 'fluffed'!

rehta

quality posts: 6 Private Messages rehta

I always put the comforter on the floor unless it is white, which means it can be bleached and cleaned more often/more easily...and you'll see any kind of stain. I should probably be more careful with the blankets than I am though...

-Heather (First Burgandy Olfactory Center 12/6/11)

Ronnie4803

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Ronnie4803

I used to work at a hotel, and as a housekeeper, we were supposed to clean the glasses in the suites. I always grabbed a fresh washcloth & towel straight from the linen room and tried to have dish soap on hand. If that wasn't available, I'd use a new bar of facial soap. I know full well one of my managers used to use the same damp rag she wiped the toilet with and go right to the kitchenette & do the glasses. I asked & I was told "as long as they look clean". She also taught many people to clean like that, many of whom had poor hygiene to begin with, so who knows how many nasty glasses were done like that with all sorts of chemicals. To this day, I either use my own containers, disposable cups, or wash the glasses before I use them (paper lid claiming they're clean or not).

BigJoeD

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BigJoeD

The worst thing is knowing the comforters are dirty with people juice since they dont replace or wash them on the daily.

aehelephant

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aehelephant

I heartily concur with the comforters being the nastiest. I ALWAYS remove them first thing, and toss them in the corner. Yech.

Ktodd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Ktodd

While at a Holiday Inn, I found a lot of toe nail clippings and a condom rapper.

ogles

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ogles

Oh,guys... I travel for a living, which means I practically live in hotels.. While some have been mediocre at best there have a been a few that seem to have a decent standard of quality. i always check and make sure the comforters have been washed upon arrival, but I am going to have to say the remote control is the nastiest thing. That or the towels, even though they are washed, I don't want to imagine the things they have seen...

beentaken

quality posts: 0 Private Messages beentaken

I love my motorhome....!!!!!!!!