calculon68


quality posts: 0 Private Messages calculon68
danwat1234 wrote:That boombox is a piece of art. Looks like a TDK VHS tape.



It's close. If they crafted it to look like a SA90 audio cassette and slapped the words "Super Avilyn" on it....

shut up and take my money.

zollars23


quality posts: 15 Private Messages zollars23

I inexplicably want one of these! Maybe it's my inner 80's child coming through.

(V) (;,,;) (V) <---Zoidberg

{img]https://d3gqasl9vmjfd8.cloudfront.net/712b9375-5487-4897-baf4-2212baf8dbca.png[/img]

ymq


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ymq

USB/HARDDRIVE input? Does it has build-in MP3 player?

gak0090


quality posts: 76 Private Messages gak0090
calculon68 wrote:It's close. If they crafted it to look like a SA90 audio cassette and slapped the words "Super Avilyn" on it....

shut up and take my money.



see the similarity:

just invert the picture


gak0090


quality posts: 76 Private Messages gak0090
phear3d wrote:i saw one of these last year and was really impressed by the sound quality. the only gripe i had with it is the fact that the device youre playing music from is not hidden at all. i hesitated because of that and i think at the time it was $300 at best buy for the 2 speaker set up.



I totally agree with this. At the very least there should at least be either a compartment in the back or a fold out carrier where you can at least place your device. Even a removable mount similar to this would be cool

GORDONFREEMAN


quality posts: 0 Private Messages GORDONFREEMAN

I really dig it...but 10 Watts/channel?

Kinda weak...

Do any of you own this already? I'm on the edge

marcusburger


quality posts: 0 Private Messages marcusburger

I saw this briefly at a similar price at Walmart earlier this year. Never came back into stock, so a nice surprise to see it here!

lpmeteora81


quality posts: 0 Private Messages lpmeteora81

[Mod: politics removed, let's stick to the product]

IF YOU ALL SAW THE PRIZE FIGHT, AGAINST THE AUDIO BEATS BOOMBOX. IT MUST MEAN THAT IS THAT GOOD IF IT BEAT IT. WHICH EVER YOU BUY YOU'RE GETTING A GOOD DEAL, YOU WILL BE PAYING HALF THE PRICE!!

gak0090


quality posts: 76 Private Messages gak0090
GORDONFREEMAN wrote:I really dig it...but 10 Watts/channel?

Kinda weak...

Do any of you own this already? I'm on the edge



10 watts (RMS) per channel on a battery supported portable device is pretty rocking. You would be surprised how loud that actually is. You would need a marine battery to support anything with significantly more wattage.

bmxjimp


quality posts: 38 Private Messages bmxjimp

Careful people. A boombox is not a toy. A boombox can change the world!


My username didn't change to jimp for my birthday, but I understand. Thanks, we're good!

gak0090


quality posts: 76 Private Messages gak0090
bmxjimp wrote:Careful people. A boombox is not a toy. A boombox can change the world!



Eminem meets Glee?

wasserkapf


quality posts: 19 Private Messages wasserkapf

Since there is no CD player, will it work using a USB CD/DVD drive?

Something like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106382

hokienutzz


quality posts: 2 Private Messages hokienutzz

How does this compare to the newer wireless versions? Looks like the wireless versions do not have displays as you'd use your device to select content? Sound the same? How about these boomboxes vs the cube or the weatherproof speaker?

dowehaveto


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dowehaveto

Fine, one for me. I shall dance the Skit Tell dance.

cupofworms wrote:I knew I recognized this.

Picture




[MOD: embedded that most wonderful video for you]



gak0090


quality posts: 76 Private Messages gak0090
wasserkapf wrote:Since there is no CD player, will it work using a USB CD/DVD drive?

Something like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106382



It might work. I don't think you could stream the music via the USB, but if the USB is putting out enough voltage at least you could power the CD player via USB and use the aux-in for the sound

You might want to make sure the USB player has an audio out just in case, like this one:

http://www.targus.com/us/Downloads/PADVD010U_UG.pdf

But I don't know if there is enough power on that USB to support a device like this anyway.

maxlambertson


quality posts: 0 Private Messages maxlambertson

Would the usb input work with an iPhone 5? Or would you need to use the audio line in?

kwaping


quality posts: 7 Private Messages kwaping

I had the hardest time deciding between the 2x and the 3x versions. I ended up going with the 3x because the third speaker is a sub (albeit a tiny one). The extra bass is always helpful.

My plan is to park this near the tv and use it for tv audio most of the time, until it's needed for another use.

We have one of those new Roku projectors and the pairing of this boombox with that is going to make SUPER AWESOME PORTABLE THEATER!

copperweb


quality posts: 0 Private Messages copperweb

That kind of money for something that doesn't have something to protect the speakers?
Anyone with small children should be out. One finger punched through the cone.... grounded for LIFE.

zollars23


quality posts: 15 Private Messages zollars23

All you really need:

http://boomboxghettoblasters.com/

(V) (;,,;) (V) <---Zoidberg

{img]https://d3gqasl9vmjfd8.cloudfront.net/712b9375-5487-4897-baf4-2212baf8dbca.png[/img]

boxoman


quality posts: 1 Private Messages boxoman

Holy Batteries Batman!

This thing takes 10 D Batteries! It would be cheaper to fuel a nuclear submarine!

177runswamp


quality posts: 0 Private Messages 177runswamp

Brad likes to toot his own horn. I'm in for one.

bradpickerill wrote:Pass. I made my own earlier this year. 10" sub for bass in a truck box with 2 6" subs for highs with an iPod dock mounted at the top. It's all on 2" casters.



Sati


quality posts: 7 Private Messages Sati

That thing looks completely badass. Wow, haven't thought about TDK since I tossed all of my cassettes. Way better than some iPhone/iPod dock!

lilegrol


quality posts: 0 Private Messages lilegrol

What a great idea! I think I'll have my husband take a look and see if it's something we can use. We have a roku projector too and definitely need speakers for it! Thanks!

kwaping wrote:I had the hardest time deciding between the 2x and the 3x versions. I ended up going with the 3x because the third speaker is a sub (albeit a tiny one). The extra bass is always helpful.

My plan is to park this near the tv and use it for tv audio most of the time, until it's needed for another use.

We have one of those new Roku projectors and the pairing of this boombox with that is going to make SUPER AWESOME PORTABLE THEATER!



cmacclel


quality posts: 3 Private Messages cmacclel
copperweb wrote:That kind of money for something that doesn't have something to protect the speakers?
Anyone with small children should be out. One finger punched through the cone.... grounded for LIFE.



Your kids would need to have bionic fingers to punch through a carbon fiber cone

kwaping


quality posts: 7 Private Messages kwaping
lilegrol wrote:What a great idea! I think I'll have my husband take a look and see if it's something we can use. We have a roku projector too and definitely need speakers for it! Thanks!



Thanks hone... I mean, uh, mysterious stranger on the internet.

lilegrol


quality posts: 0 Private Messages lilegrol

Who is "hone"?
I can't wait to hear this with the roku!
All we need now is a screen...You think woot will have that as a deal?

kwaping wrote:Thanks hone... I mean, uh, mysterious stranger on the internet.



gak0090


quality posts: 76 Private Messages gak0090

Here's an interesting review. Check out the site- I definitely deserve a quality post for this:

http://www.gaygadget.com/2011/01/tdks-boombox-for-the-iphone/


inkycatz


quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
gak0090 wrote:Check out the site- I definitely deserve a quality post for this



It's no fun if you ask for them!

I'm just hanging out, really.

darthcrank


quality posts: 0 Private Messages darthcrank

A year ago these were at best Buy for $500 (3 speaker model).

Almost went for it then with some special offers....

can't believe my good fortune to have this in my inbox this morning at a little over $200.

gak0090


quality posts: 76 Private Messages gak0090
inkycatz wrote:It's no fun if you ask for them!



Just trying to draw attention to myself

hokienutzz


quality posts: 2 Private Messages hokienutzz
hokienutzz wrote:How does this compare to the newer wireless versions? Looks like the wireless versions do not have displays as you'd use your device to select content? Sound the same? How about these boomboxes vs the cube or the weatherproof speaker?



So really. Does anyone have any good information about these things? Is this really worth $200 when the new ones are more portable, wireless, and rechargeable?

bathejav


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bathejav

Went with the 3 speakers.. gotta get that bass. I think they are better than the new wireless ones because being connected with Bluetooth you will not get as high sound quality, plus they dont offer the 3 speaker one in that anyway.

However, the rechargeable batteries would have been cool, but I doubt ill be taking them on the go much.

phear3d


quality posts: 1 Private Messages phear3d

i thought i recognized this speaker..

this is the same boombox Beastie Boys used to preview their last album last year.

cappo


quality posts: 30 Private Messages cappo
sosuemesdc wrote:say...is anyone else bored w/ the fact that there is no way to contact Woot? I ordered a knife almost 3 weeks ago and all I get (for the last 3 weeks) is a stupid box that says "were packing your order up"...this is BS



Does this not work?

http://www.woot.com/support


GORDONFREEMAN


quality posts: 0 Private Messages GORDONFREEMAN
cmacclel wrote:Your kids would need to have bionic fingers to punch through a carbon fiber cone



The surounds are still delicate, no?

lethargicmass


quality posts: 10 Private Messages lethargicmass
kwaping wrote:I had the hardest time deciding between the 2x and the 3x versions. I ended up going with the 3x because the third speaker is a sub (albeit a tiny one). The extra bass is always helpful.



bathejav wrote:Went with the 3 speakers.. gotta get that bass.



I apologize for bringing physics into this, but I can't see how adding a third 6-inch driver could make any difference in the bass performance of this box -- long-throw voice coil or not. Given the relatively small volume of the enclosure, the 2-driver version should go just as low as the 3-driver version -- although the 3-driver box will likely go louder.

Of course, there's no frequency response performance cited anyway...


I love bacon!

GORDONFREEMAN


quality posts: 0 Private Messages GORDONFREEMAN

BTW, I found the TDK Consumer Electronics portal. Wasn't sure if this had been posted already.

http://www.tdkperformance.com/en-us/

GORDONFREEMAN


quality posts: 0 Private Messages GORDONFREEMAN

Found the three speaker model on J&R - $373.88

http://www.jr.com/tdk/pe/TDK_TP6803BLK/

Appears to be a good woot deal. J&R is normally a fair-priced site.

bathejav


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bathejav
lethargicmass wrote:I apologize for bringing physics into this, but I can't see how adding a third 6-inch driver could make any difference in the bass performance of this box -- long-throw voice coil or not. Given the relatively small volume of the enclosure, the 2-driver version should go just as low as the 3-driver version -- although the 3-driver box will likely go louder.

Of course, there's no frequency response performance cited anyway...



Well the 2 speaker would be lacking without a sub "While the 3 speaker is able to reproduce the original ambiance the full acoustics of the recording venue and to liberate the satellites’ midrange and treble drivers from having to reproduce quality bass frequencies, which are lacking in the 2"

Fertikas


quality posts: 2 Private Messages Fertikas

Wires. lol.