WootBot


quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Did you lose any friends with all the political hullaballoo?
  • 10.2% - No, I’m friends with like-minded people. 338
  • 44.7% - No, my friends are more mature than that. 1479
  • 9.7% - Yeah, and good riddance! They’re nincompoops anyway! 322
  • 12.7% - Yes, and it saddens me. We are a country divided. 419
  • 22.6% - I never had any friends to begin with. 749
3307 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

curtisuxor


quality posts: 56 Private Messages curtisuxor

If you lose friends because of your political beliefs, they weren't your friends to begin with.

goddess8681


quality posts: 1 Private Messages goddess8681

If I did lose some, I sure haven't noticed yet!

epicsatyr


quality posts: 0 Private Messages epicsatyr

I don't bring politics up anyway. Its an argument you will never win.

ChronoSquall14


quality posts: 39 Private Messages ChronoSquall14
curtisuxor wrote:If you lose friends because of your political beliefs, they weren't your friends to begin with.



Right here. And while I have very strong beliefs about politics, I try not to shove them down the throats of friends and family. I keep religion and politics to a minimum.

losbradley


quality posts: 0 Private Messages losbradley
epicsatyr wrote:I don't bring politics up anyway. Its an argument you will never win.



Yep. My thoughts exactly.

kutiel


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kutiel

I actually lost some family from it. It's really not a big loss to me but to my child.

cole103


quality posts: 9 Private Messages cole103

I'm pretty Independent(but that looks Progressive now) and I've been writing and debating daily with a number of Conservative/TeaParty folks for the last 4-5 years to get a wider understanding of those political mindsets. I guess I wouldn't exactly call them friends, but we had a reasonably amiable relationship, were able to kid each other and laugh about it. That all changed with this campaign---in September they became increasingly intransigent and downright belligerent, devolving into name-calling, at which point I told them that I was interested in reasonable debate, not abuse, but would be ready to talk at any time----and I've never heard from any of them again. THAT'S the division that plagues this country.

olperfesser


quality posts: 2 Private Messages olperfesser

I have some friends (and family) that are hard core. I just ignored them. It's not like they were actually participating, just passing on articles for what they believed. I, on the other hand, just let them know my point of view and don't take them seriously.

MISRy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages MISRy

My political beliefs, like my religion or my paycheck are restricted information so to speak. Restricted in that I limit who I share such things with. I note those who are vocal about it and adjust my opinion of them as needed.

kaetrace


quality posts: 1 Private Messages kaetrace

I didn't lose any this time, they all (ok, HE) went during the 2008 election. However, no big loss, bigots are everywhere. If I need another one, I can talk to the guy in the cube behind me...

"You do not have a soul, you are a soul. You have a body" C S Lewis

ladyloerya


quality posts: 2 Private Messages ladyloerya

I don't know if I have actually lost them, but I am ready to disown them because of their vehemence towards people who simply voted differently than they did. I have strong political opinions but am mature enough to respect that people don't have to think like me in any way. Just be a decent human being and we're all cool. I don't give a rotten apple which way you voted. I love to debate it in a friendly way but I know that anyone who voted simply voted whichever they thought made the most sense from their POV. Who am I to say they are WRONG? I am actually surprised...I thought some of these people were far more mature than this while some of the immature people I know have handled this very gracefully (from both sides of the fence).

Xexus


quality posts: 6 Private Messages Xexus

Just yesterday, I've notice that my FaceBook friends list decremented by one. Apparently, my old college roommate didn't find any humor in any of the three Anti-Romney photochops that I slapped together over the past few months. The 50+ Anti-Obama pics that he posted were perfectly acceptable of course. So much for tolerance. :^)

Signature censored by Woot

casey1953


quality posts: 0 Private Messages casey1953

too many of these so called friends decide to cackle has if they had really won some event when all they did was condem a nation and the people

kerflynn1188


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kerflynn1188
epicsatyr wrote:I don't bring politics up anyway. Its an argument you will never win.



this is the best policy in my opinion. i have political junkie friends, and i have rest-of-my-life friends, and i never blend the two.

lorrainemitchell


quality posts: 0 Private Messages lorrainemitchell
casey1953 wrote:too many of these so called friends decide to cackle has if they had really won some event when all they did was condem a nation and the people



They know not what they have done...yet.

wingedsurfgirl


quality posts: 25 Private Messages wingedsurfgirl

I have not rejected or "deleted" any friends because of our differing voting style, nor our differing of opinion. The majority of my friends are tactful when discussing such matters. I used to be one who never discussed it at all, but lately I've enjoyed it, as there is learning (social or otherwise) to be had from it. When others resort to name calling of either those that supported a candidate, or the candidates themselves with what is meant (I assume) to be clever and/or hateful silly name twists, I take the high road. If someone can't have a meaningful discussion around politics, and must resort to name calling, it is already proven that there is no point in further discussion. I know that some "friends" may have deleted me, but honestly, if this election of some figurehead meant more to them than our friendship... It wasn't much of a friendship afterall.

lemminghunter


quality posts: 2 Private Messages lemminghunter
ladyloerya wrote:I don't know if I have actually lost them, but I am ready to disown them because of their vehemence towards people who simply voted differently than they did. I have strong political opinions but am mature enough to respect that people don't have to think like me in any way. Just be a decent human being and we're all cool. I don't give a rotten apple which way you voted. I love to debate it in a friendly way but I know that anyone who voted simply voted whichever they thought made the most sense from their POV. Who am I to say they are WRONG? I am actually surprised...I thought some of these people were far more mature than this while some of the immature people I know have handled this very gracefully (from both sides of the fence).



Great point!

That reminds me of a really awesome Ted Talk that LOTS of people on both sides should watch about now.

http://www.ted.com/talks/kathryn_schulz_on_being_wrong.html

cyndikoz


quality posts: 0 Private Messages cyndikoz

50% of my friends lean in my political direction, 50% do not, much like the country itself. The only friends I lost were the ones who calmly agreed that I was way more informed about the economy and some specific items (ie.Obamacare, fiscal cliff, etc.) then proceeded to call me a racist-bigot-hater because I didn't cast my vote in their direction. But I guess when your news comes from The View and The Colbert Report you must feel that way.

heatmirrorman


quality posts: 0 Private Messages heatmirrorman
cyndikoz wrote:50% of my friends lean in my political direction, 50% do not, much like the country itself. The only friends I lost were the ones who calmly agreed that I was way more informed about the economy and some specific items (ie.Obamacare, fiscal cliff, etc.) then proceeded to call me a racist-bigot-hater because I didn't cast my vote in their direction. But I guess when your news comes from The View and The Colbert Report you must feel that way.



Perfectly said!! No need to say anything more!!

lkolins


quality posts: 0 Private Messages lkolins
cyndikoz wrote:50% of my friends lean in my political direction, 50% do not, much like the country itself. The only friends I lost were the ones who calmly agreed that I was way more informed about the economy and some specific items (ie.Obamacare, fiscal cliff, etc.) then proceeded to call me a racist-bigot-hater because I didn't cast my vote in their direction. But I guess when your news comes from The View and The Colbert Report you must feel that way.



lkolins


quality posts: 0 Private Messages lkolins

As opposed to you who was tuned in to those in the know - Fox News.

lkolins


quality posts: 0 Private Messages lkolins

As opposed to you who was tuned in to those in the know - Fox News.

Moueska


quality posts: 53 Private Messages Moueska

No, no friends lost. I might've lost a few circle-ees on G+.

What I gained, however was greater. What, you might ask?

Great respect for Nate Silver.

XD

Moueska


quality posts: 53 Private Messages Moueska
Xexus wrote:Just yesterday, I've notice that my FaceBook friends list decremented by one. Apparently, my old college roommate didn't find any humor in any of the three Anti-Romney photochops that I slapped together over the past few months. The 50+ Anti-Obama pics that he posted were perfectly acceptable of course. So much for tolerance. :^)


post zem!!!

Also, I miss the heck out of dodgeball.

77mustang


quality posts: 0 Private Messages 77mustang
losbradley wrote:Yep. My thoughts exactly.



Sooo true. However, now I am going to have to pay for the evil that is generated from wishbone voters.

beich


quality posts: 0 Private Messages beich

you dont really think that anyone man, woiman, black, white, democrate, republican, tea party, wig, that has climbed high enough up the political ladder to win the presidential race hassent allready been bought by big bissness? he is a mouth piece ONLY. at least with Obama in his second tearm he will have the time to redeam himself..........

dunsparrow


quality posts: 2 Private Messages dunsparrow
cole103 wrote:I'm pretty Independent(but that looks Progressive now) and I've been writing and debating daily with a number of Conservative/TeaParty folks for the last 4-5 years to get a wider understanding of those political mindsets. I guess I wouldn't exactly call them friends, but we had a reasonably amiable relationship, were able to kid each other and laugh about it. That all changed with this campaign---in September they became increasingly intransigent and downright belligerent, devolving into name-calling, at which point I told them that I was interested in reasonable debate, not abuse, but would be ready to talk at any time----and I've never heard from any of them again. THAT'S the division that plagues this country.



I don't know what is worse. People who are closed-minded, or people who brag about how open-minded they are, while pretending to tell a story.