hcvaugha

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hcvaugha

I bought this exact model from Best Buy about 5 months ago. It served my needs well as I ran Reason 6.5 and Sony Vegas. Unfortunately, my screen died on me a month later, starting off with green outlines and ultimately greening out entirely. I took it back for a full refund and will never buy an HP again. It's clear to me that there's a reason they're so cheap, so I'm saving up for a Macbook.

tljx

quality posts: 6 Private Messages tljx
whinestein wrote:HP is the Ford of the PC world. They make a good flagship model in each line then part it out to the lowest bidders. Then it's a crapshoot on how long the motherboard will last.

Lately, even on new laptops of different brands, I've had to replace hard drives and DVD drives within the first 6-10 months.

Eh, everyone seems to have their generalizations of a specific brand and horror stories to go along with it but my experience is they're all more or less the same. Most major brands have their reliable, top of the lines, expensive models, they have their budget models that are lower-spec'd and use cheaper parts, and they have the mid range models that fall somewhere in between. Pretty much all of them occasionally release an embarrassment that's plagued by an unusually high failure rate, usually due to a particular unreliable part (for example, any laptop model that used the 8600M or 8400M Nividia GPU). It happens.

There are some brands known exclusively for their cheap, generally low quality machines (think eMachines) but most of the major brands are fairly comparable. Short of warranty and customer service, they're mostly the same in terms of quality.

lucianato

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lucianato
Ubie wrote:No USB 3.0? Um... that's not a good thing.

For the record, Dell Outlet has been going crazy with 30% off sales on factory refurb and certified machines. I recently picked up a 14" Inspiron with the same processor and a larger HD (plus 3 USB 3.0 slots, natch), for under $310. Larger sized screens were going for even less.

In my experience, Dell seems to either make a buttload more computers than everyone else or people buy them more than any other company because as a computer repair tech, I've fixed more Dell laptops/desktops than all other companies put together. So which one is it? If you get any laptop, my advice is get ahold of a Windows OEM OS disk and just wipe the sucker! Do your own downloading of drivers and your computer will run quicker from the get-go! Proprietary bloatware is unacceptable!!! :^O

lucianato

hcvaugha wrote:I bought this exact model from Best Buy about 5 months ago. It served my needs well as I ran Reason 6.5 and Sony Vegas. Unfortunately, my screen died on me a month later, starting off with green outlines and ultimately greening out entirely. I took it back for a full refund and will never buy an HP again. It's clear to me that there's a reason they're so cheap, so I'm saving up for a Macbook.

So, you had one bad experience with HP and you totally discredit their name! hmmm, your logic is perplexing! Good luck with writing your Electronica! Hopefully it's better than your reasoning! <3

lucianato

rozellswoot wrote:don't buy an HP laptop - at least not by mail. Make sure you really test it out and be prepared to mail it back when it says "Explorer needs to restart"

Yet another person casseroleing about HP having issues. People! All computer brands will have these same issues at some point along the way! If you want to get the laptop, don't let these Debbie Downers spoil your excitement. There is plenty of reason to buy this computer. If you get a dud then return it. These computers aren't quality assured off the assembly line so it could happen to you. Don't let these naysayers rain on your parade!! <3

cummaster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cummaster
lucianato wrote:Yet another person casseroleing about HP having issues. People! All computer brands will have these same issues at some point along the way! If you want to get the laptop, don't let these Debbie Downers spoil your excitement. There is plenty of reason to buy this computer. If you get a dud then return it. These computers aren't quality assured off the assembly line so it could happen to you. Don't let these naysayers rain on your parade!! <3

the only reason im thinking about this deal is my dv7 referb im using now is buggy as hell and no batt life and a jacked up screen. i am an idi ot hp is the worst. i am addicted to the 17inches though

wiley1woot

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wiley1woot

Whot the ....? No USB 3.0?

archiestone

quality posts: 1 Private Messages archiestone
Ubie wrote:No USB 3.0? Um... that's not a good thing.

For the record, Dell Outlet has been going crazy with 30% off sales on factory refurb and certified machines. I recently picked up a 14" Inspiron with the same processor and a larger HD (plus 3 USB 3.0 slots, natch), for under $310. Larger sized screens were going for even less.

---
Checked Dell Outlet - not sure what you are referring to but every offer I clicked on for larger size Inspirons were either considerably more expensive than $310 or out of stock.

http://www.dell.com/us/dfh/p/inspiron-laptops?~ck=anav

coolbreeze

quality posts: 0 Private Messages coolbreeze
PocketBrain wrote:Your Mom would get this laptop...

You leave my mom out of this.

jpstrings

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jpstrings
hcvaugha wrote:I bought this exact model from Best Buy about 5 months ago. It served my needs well as I ran Reason 6.5 and Sony Vegas. Unfortunately, my screen died on me a month later, starting off with green outlines and ultimately greening out entirely. I took it back for a full refund and will never buy an HP again. It's clear to me that there's a reason they're so cheap, so I'm saving up for a Macbook.

lol, you can buy 6 of these computers for the price of 1 mac book pro.

note2001

quality posts: 26 Private Messages note2001

I'm cringing for any poor souls buying this one now, hoping they don't try commuting with it. HP laptops are not known for terribly great soldering.

I worked for HP a short while back for a couple of years... they chose to lease DELL laptops for our computers verses supplying us with their own brand. ... hmmmm.

tnode192

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tnode192
note2001 wrote:I'm cringing for any poor souls buying this one now, hoping they don't try commuting with it. HP laptops are not known for terribly great soldering.

Dunno, I've beat the crap out of my Elitebook 8440p for three years at work and other than the POS software that my company insists must be on it, it's run great.

The only hardware issue was that like every other laptop in the planet, there is no air filter and you must blow it out once a year or so or it will overheat.

One son burned up 2 Acers before we learned that, both my HP and my other son's Dell had to be blown out after two years.

hcvaugha

lucianato wrote:So, you had one bad experience with HP and you totally discredit their name! hmmm, your logic is perplexing! Good luck with writing your Electronica! Hopefully it's better than your reasoning! <3

Just sharing my experience and thoughts about it. The parts felt extreme cheap. Also, you're going to have to do a clean install of Windows to have it running at optimal performance because of all the god awful preinstalled HP trash. Good luck spamming Woot boards with your hopeless defense of HP products, I'm sure it serves you well!

hcvaugha

jpstrings wrote:lol, you can buy 6 of these computers for the price of 1 mac book pro.

So I could buy one computer that meets my needs or buy six that are stuffed full of poorly designed electronics and cheap parts.

roanie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages roanie

Just received my laptop yesterday, works fine. Looked up the warranty at HP and discovered that the warranty is going to run out next month, about 30 days. Was exoecting 90 days. Contacted Woot, haven't heard back yet. Other customers of this laptop might want to check your warranty!

Ron Mashburn

ScottNKris

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ScottNKris
roanie wrote:Just received my laptop yesterday, works fine. Looked up the warranty at HP and discovered that the warranty is going to run out next month, about 30 days. Was exoecting 90 days. Contacted Woot, haven't heard back yet. Other customers of this laptop might want to check your warranty!

Ron Mashburn

The Bad News: We got our laptop on Thursday. Had trouble with the screen on Friday. And today, Saturday, it's completely out.

The Good News: When I contacted HP and was told that the warranty had already expired (!), I simply needed to give them the woot order info and they are resetting the date for 90 days from the order date.