WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Gunnar Gaming Glasses: Pulling 3Gs

Throw on these glasses every time you game, and you'll be creating a ritual. Much like a playoff beard or an election pizza, these glasses mean you're "in the zone" and you can't ever lose. What? You DIDN'T buy an election pizza? Well, no WONDER things turned out the way they did!
Gunnar Gaming Glasses official site

Quality Posts

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

Time to get your GUNNAR on! Tell us about yours below!

I'm just hanging out, really.

gravityisweak

quality posts: 27 Private Messages gravityisweak

I've got a pair of the Weezers and they really do make a difference in making the screen less harsh. Some people complain about needing to get used to the yellow color, but it's not a problem I've had. These really do make a difference, and for this price they are worth a shot if you're curious about whether they'd work for you.

aldaras

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aldaras

I've had Gunnars before and they do work if you're usually staring at documents.

It's probably just me but while I game in the day when it's well lit I don't notice a huge difference. At night time it's a lot more relaxing looking at the screen. Especially when I turn off the lights and game at night. The contrast between the monitor light and darkness of my room don't bother my eyes at all. The frame is really light.

Yes, there's a yellow tint when you wear the glasses. However you get used to it relatively quickly within a short amount of time (<5m). If you're more worried about what you're doing instead of the yellow tint you completely forget about it. Everything looks like it's in normal color except for a slight yellow tint. In my experience when I remove the glasses everything seems more blue until I adjust to it again.

My only real problem with the glasses is that they made my ear sore where the arms rested on. I had to elevate the arms slightly above it and have my headset keep it in place. Not sure how it made my ear sore in that specific place since I have a circumaural headset. So it's not like it's pushing my ear into the frame's arm.

apiskur

quality posts: 0 Private Messages apiskur

Wondering which of these is able to accept prescription lenses. Also, is the yellow color the whole big deal with these glasses? What if I get my local eyeglass store to tint any ole set of lenses yellow? What's the difference?

masamunesslave

quality posts: 3 Private Messages masamunesslave

Picked the Wing style up last time, and loved them; only problem for me was that I require a minor RX, and the +.2 that these ones came with created a bit of an issue for me; so I ordered RX lenses, and they are awesome!

I would also like to note that my order from Woot did NOT come with the hard case, but rather just a protective sleeve. I would strongly recommend picking up the Gunner case too to keep your new glasses protected, especially if you are going to be transporting them a lot. I keep the protective sleeve on them inside the case too and use it as a cleaning rag.

I picked mine up at Best Buy because I had a gift card, but many online stores have them too:

Gunnar Authentic Leather Case @ Amazon.com

usclawyer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages usclawyer

I bought the Weezer branded ones in the last Woot plus event. I am not impressed. They feel cheap like a pair of $5 gas-station sunglasses. They pull on my ears a bit and dig in to my nose bridge.

The optics are a mixed bag. The yellow tint is not a problem, as you become used to it in a matter of minutes. The benefit seems minor, if even perceptable. The magnification was not helpful. My eyes freaked out for the first few hours trying to use them at the computer screen. I am near sighted and thus have natural magnification, so the extra magnification - mild as it is - was just too much. This may not be a problem for you, though. The magnification also makes them useless for gaming at a regular television set unless you want to be extremely close to the screen. The only gaming use for these seems to be for those who do PC gaming 10 inches from the screen. At 10 feet from the screen, I need my distance glasses to see comfortably, so I can't wear these.

Bottom line, though, is that I notice no appreciable difference in how tired my eyes are after a day of screen gazing. I think they are a gimmick with little, if any, benefit for your eyes.

gravityisweak

Another point I want to make, is that these ALWAYS sell out when they are offered. It took me a few go arounds before I could grab the pair I wanted.

These glasses are also mentioned in articles by Lifehacker as being recommended by the Vision Council.

http://lifehacker.com/5952963/why-your-eyes-are-killing-you-the-science-behind-eyestrain

orphaeus

quality posts: 2 Private Messages orphaeus

I own the MW3 set, which I bought from one the Woot Plus deals for Gunnar. I absolutely love them. They are a fine product.

4 things to point out:
1. If you aren't used to wearing glasses all the time it will take you a day or two to get used to having something on your face.

2. Check the dimensions on their website or at any resellers for the out of date models. I got the MW3 set because they were the largest and I needed them for my big head.

3. You will probably notice that these are considerably more useful in the evening, or sitting in your basement playing Halo 4 with the lights off If you are in a office setting right next to the window, you might benefit more from the glare protection than the eye strain reduction. If you game, or work on spreadsheets, in the evening you will almost definitely see a reduction in eye strain.

4. Take into consideration what you're planning on using these for. I have a 24" monitor and play full screen games at about 10" away. I knew that I would need large lenses so that I can move my eyes without moving my head. If I were playing on my TV from 6-10' away I might be able to get the more stylish sets that have smaller lenses.

"You win some, you lose some, and some get rained out, but you gotta suit up for them all."
J. Askenberg

cafuller8

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cafuller8

I live near and game with the main Call of Duty player who is sponsored by Gunnar. He uses them when he plays at big tournaments and always wears them around as a sponsored athlete but admits they are more of a gimmick than anything. Personally, my vision is very good without any kind of eyewear so using them really had no upside. I found the distraction with my Astro headset and the yellow tint to outweigh the positives. Plus you feel like a nerd like never before! lol

FrankMoney

quality posts: 0 Private Messages FrankMoney
gravityisweak wrote:Another point I want to make, is that these ALWAYS sell out when they are offered. It took me a few go arounds before I could grab the pair I wanted.

These glasses are also mentioned in articles by Lifehacker as being recommended by the Vision Council.

http://lifehacker.com/5952963/why-your-eyes-are-killing-you-the-science-behind-eyestrain

Just a reminder that the lifehacker article is a sponsored post. So take it with a grain of salt.

jrlastre

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jrlastre

I've been wearing Rx glasses since I was about 10 yrs old (1974). Dedicated computer glasses are not new. For those asking why the glass lenses are yellow its to cut down on glare (you see it in shooting glasses as well). If I remember correctly color monitors also tend to be blue shifted so it helps with eye strain as well.

You can pick up a pair of shooting glasses and probably get some help with glare but they aren't cheap in general. Some safety glasses are tinted yellow but they're really cheap.

Per their website you can get them fit with Rx lenses (they recommend either Ziess or gunnars own). It bumps up the cost considerable, but personally I am used to it. I think this is for all their frames. I usually wear Oakley but I can't see putting in +$400 for a pair dedicated for just the computer. So I got a pair of Wi-Five and am hoping that for $45 + the cost of lenses it will work out.

stascom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stascom

How about dialing warmer colors in your monitor instead? If all they do is shift white balance and reduce brightness, why wouldn't I just calibrate my screen as such?

snaldrich

quality posts: 0 Private Messages snaldrich

I have had mine for several years now. Forgot to take them off one night after gaming with my brother at his place and was very happy to note that they also help to reduce the glare from those ultra blue halogen headlights. Really makes a difference for me when driving at night. Love them.

hieutp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hieutp

Are you kidding me? Woot only had ONE pair of the Bit Surfer???

corysterrett

quality posts: 2 Private Messages corysterrett

Buying by first pair. Going for the Gem model. Not sure if I'll be a fan of the blue frames or not. They look BA in the pictures though.

arth6250

quality posts: 0 Private Messages arth6250

I was really excited when I saw these! I saw the article on lifehacker when it was first published, and have wanted some ever since.

I've seen them on sale here a few times, but they sell out so quickly.

I finally got the chance to order them today, and viola! No shipping to canada!? I'm a little pissed...

Does anyone know where I can get these without spending $100 - $200?

Thinkgeek has them for about $60, and I know they will take my money. But I love woots good deals.

corysterrett

quality posts: 2 Private Messages corysterrett
arth6250 wrote:I was really excited when I saw these! I saw the article on lifehacker when it was first published, and have wanted some ever since.

I finally got the chance to order them today, and viola! No shipping to canada!? I'm a little pissed...

Thinkgeek has them for about $60, and I know they will take my money. But I love woots good deals.

Bestbuy.com has some starting at $55. Sears.com has pairs starting from $60.
Also main Gunnar site has some pairs for $50 (probably soon to be discontinued?) http://shop.gunnars.com/outpost-web-exclusives/l/700

Not sure if all of those guys ship to Canada. It sounds like the main Gunnar site does from a quick google search. Don't beat me up too bad if I'm wrong.

comma

quality posts: 12 Private Messages comma

I wonder if there are more people who choose not to buy something because it has "Call of Duty" slapped all over it than choose to buy it.

ongware

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ongware
arth6250 wrote:I was really excited when I saw these! I saw the article on lifehacker when it was first published, and have wanted some ever since.

Find someone you trust in the US and have them reship the woot order to you if the cost savings that way is worth it.

wirges

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wirges

If you go to the Gunnar website, they have a discount section. It is called "Gunnar Outpost". The glasses are all 50% off, but they are older models. If you search around for coupons, you can find ones that take about 10% off and will basically cover shipping. I got a pair for under $50 this way and LOVE THEM!

rkoneill

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rkoneill

I have the JEM Adv glasses. Very uncomfortable ear pieces, they hurt my ears and they feel like they're always going to fall off. I bought a pair of cheap rubber sleeves to go over them from Walmart which helped with both of those problems.

The metal piece connecting the lenses is annoying, I feel like I'm going to go cross eyed from it like in the Jerk. I'd recommend a pair that doesn't have a style that goes into the lens.

That said, I got used to it and I find they really do reduce my eye strain when playing Xbox in the dark at night. I also use them at my desk job later in the afternoon when my eyes are getting tired. They do make you look like a dork though.

stinhoutx

quality posts: 11 Private Messages stinhoutx

I picked up a pair of Halogen last time to supplement my pair of Stylus, on the recommendation of the rep for larger sets. Other than my eyelashes hitting the lenses, these stay put better throughout the day. I appreciate the flexible, slightly rubberized texture on the temples. I have a lot of air circulating in my workspace and these help shield my eyes and they feel less dry.

While I've had my share of Woot! remorse (like those Fila shirts and Aussie frozen slushie makers), these are in the winner's list for me.

drakaeb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages drakaeb

Does anyone have a chart of the different frame widths? I can't find one anywhere on the gunnar website or through google searches.

drakaeb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages drakaeb
stascom wrote:How about dialing warmer colors in your monitor instead? If all they do is shift white balance and reduce brightness, why wouldn't I just calibrate my screen as such?

The glasses also block UV. This isn't that big of a deal when using a computer, but should be noted. Also, in cases like mine, I can't adjust the monitor settings at my work because they are software controlled and my work blocks that software.

Some people, like me, also have visual distortion problems. I see a large amount of black floaters and a great deal of black "fuzz" through my vision (caused by brain damage). With the color shift, I can read text much cleaner. The white backgrounds are obviously tinted yellow, but the yellow tint on the black text is enough for me to differentiate it from the black "fuzz" in my vision. The black "fuzz" in my vision remains completely black and black text is a softer color. This makes reading much easier for me. I actually use my Gunnars at work far more than I use them for gaming. I'm considering picking up another pair this sale just to keep at work.

kschang

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kschang

For eyestrain, I found one of those drugstore "HD Vision" sunglasses to help, and they're down to $5 or $10 if you look for them. It's got a harsher yellow tint as they're sunglasses, but they work just fine indoors.

YMMV, of course.

erangel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages erangel
apiskur wrote:Wondering which of these is able to accept prescription lenses. Also, is the yellow color the whole big deal with these glasses? What if I get my local eyeglass store to tint any ole set of lenses yellow? What's the difference?

Don't own a pair of Gunnars, but I did have my current prescription glasses tinted.
The yellow tint does make a big difference when working with screens for extended periods.
I'm tempted to buy a pair of Gunnars just to get the frame to my local optometrist.

rhycochet

quality posts: 16 Private Messages rhycochet

got a pair of crystalline phenoms for digital painting, and a pair of white halogen sunglasses. love them both so far. although the crystalline lenses do look bomb, they really don't help with document reading at work. in fact, they strain me a bit more since it sharpens everything considerably...although for painting it's great at enhancing my perception of contrasts.

the amber tinted pair, i had one i picked up a long time ago from fry's electronics when they had them on display next to a PS3...but because of the "MLG" logo on the side i've been too embarrassed to wear them anywhere. but when i did wear them, they helped tremendously, and the yellow tint is a non-issue after a brief period of adjustment. as others have noted, it makes gaming and watching stuff at night on screens a lot more comfortable. important, because my desk at home is surrounded by a 30" monitor, 55" TV and a tablet to boot...and i often have my lights off while simultaneously using all three.

glad i have this chance to pick up a pair of halogen ash to match my white sunglasses this time around. the style is bomb, and the fit is great! the frame is VERY light and i barely notice i have them on. the white pair are my go-to sunglasses and i'm sure if i can overcome the mental anxiety of people seeing me with "geek" lenses...i'll be sporting the halogen ash at work as well.

after owning all three of their lenses: crystalline, amber, and sunglasses, i have to say that it's great to have one on my face at all times...no matter where i go.

BTW, paid full retail for both the crystalline phenom and halogen whites. worth every penny.

bbasbagi

quality posts: 3 Private Messages bbasbagi

Do they make a clip-on version for all of us gamers that already wear prescription glasses?

vanuary

quality posts: 22 Private Messages vanuary
drakaeb wrote:Does anyone have a chart of the different frame widths? I can't find one anywhere on the gunnar website or through google searches.

Hi drakaeb. I'm the manufacturer rep. Look for the "SPECS" tab when you're on our website and looking at the product pages. This tab will show you the dimensions of the frames.
Was there a frame in particular you were wondering about?

Maxsplat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Maxsplat

I bought 2 paris of these awhile back (Weezer and MLG) from Woot. I didn't realizer the +.2 in the lens would mess wiht my prescription so bad. Prescription lens are too pricey for me on these. I was really disappointed by that. Now I need to try and sell them to get my money back. I'm really bummed about it too. But the Weezers are comfy. I never opened the MLG pair.

CelestiteV

quality posts: 1 Private Messages CelestiteV

I was having problems getting to sleep at night after using my mac and/or iPad (and even TV) in the evening.
After a bit of research, I choose Gunnar. Unbelievable! The skeptic that I am, I am a believer.
A few times I have forgotten to put them on after 5pm... darn if I don't lay awake in bed for hours that night.
I am a complete believer... a must have!

vanuary

bbasbagi wrote:Do they make a clip-on version for all of us gamers that already wear prescription glasses?

Hi bbasbagi. Unfortunately not. We do have an Rx program available for those who need a prescription. For more informaiton on that, please visit http://www.gunnars.com/rx.

bingzhong

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bingzhong

Don't think they're made for just monitors/ PC screens.

These are great for reading documents and paperwork under lighting. In response those who are skeptical about these,, the reason why they're pricey is because they're covered with scratch resisting coating. HOWEVER, these are not made for outdoor use (ie: sunny or bright days like sunglasses).

The prices are amazing. I always miss out on the one I want, too. Even on eBay these still go for $60+ on bid.

"If you can dream it, you can do it," the man said as he was day-dreaming.

daforgo10few

quality posts: 0 Private Messages daforgo10few

Vanuary,

I have prescription of -6.75 if i am decrypting my doctors handwriting correctly. Would any of these work for me?

vanuary

daforgo10few wrote:Vanuary,

I have prescription of -6.75 if i am decrypting my doctors handwriting correctly. Would any of these work for me?

Hi daforgo10few. Have you read some of my other posts about getting prescription GUNNARS? Here's one that I think will be helpful: http://www.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5151212&pageindex=1&replycount=106#post5151749.

Of the frames available on this WOOT sale, I would suggest either the Wi-Five or Groove since they will handle a +3.00D to -8.00D prescription. If you want to make sure your prescription will fit, you can email me your prescription so that our Rx Department can verify which frames will work with your for you. Please email this to van@gunnars.com.

countdown

quality posts: 14 Private Messages countdown

I got some of these and I do find they help. I am very prone to headaches and migraines and my eyes are very sensitive to light. These help a lot with my late night gaming sessions.

That being said, I would like to propose an alternative to people who do not game. I use a program called "f.lux" at work. It is not quite the same because it does not make a difference until the sun goes down, but you can tweak it to just behave the same regardless of the sun if that's how you like it.

Basically, it is designed to follow the sun (based on your location) and adjust your screen accordingly to eliminate harsh bright colours when you are in low light. If your computer is not in a sunlit room, you can just set it to be night brightness all the time, or have a smaller contrast between its daylight and night settings. It's probably better if you read the little blurb on the site. But anyway, it accomplishes the same thing for me as these glasses do when working on my computer. The only reason I don't use it for gaming is because it is actually more effective and I don't want to lose that much image information when gaming. These glasses come in handy as a weaker alternative to this program when I am more paranoid about getting the most out of the image I am looking at.

gravityisweak

rkoneill wrote: They do make you look like a dork though.

Funny thing, my girlfriend asked me what the glasses were, and when I put them on she said "You should wear those all the time!" To each his own I guess. (or her own)

wunch

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wunch
gravityisweak wrote:

FYI: that's a "sponsored post", which is Lifehacker's subtle way of saying "advertisement".

Guardian195

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Guardian195
countdown wrote:I got some of these and I do find they help. I am very prone to headaches and migraines and my eyes are very sensitive to light. These help a lot with my late night gaming sessions.

That being said, I would like to propose an alternative to people who do not game. I use a program called "f.lux" at work. It is not quite the same because it does not make a difference until the sun goes down, but you can tweak it to just behave the same regardless of the sun if that's how you like it.

Basically, it is designed to follow the sun (based on your location) and adjust your screen accordingly to eliminate harsh bright colours when you are in low light. If your computer is not in a sunlit room, you can just set it to be night brightness all the time, or have a smaller contrast between its daylight and night settings. It's probably better if you read the little blurb on the site. But anyway, it accomplishes the same thing for me as these glasses do when working on my computer. The only reason I don't use it for gaming is because it is actually more effective and I don't want to lose that much image information when gaming. These glasses come in handy as a weaker alternative to this program when I am more paranoid about getting the most out of the image I am looking at.

Going to have to second f.lux, but I leave it on when gaming... If you disable it after using your computer in the dark for a few hours you'll instantly notice more "eye strain" from such bright blue light, and then turn it back on and rejoice