drakaeb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages drakaeb
vanuary wrote:Hi drakaeb. I'm the manufacturer rep. Look for the "SPECS" tab when you're on our website and looking at the product pages. This tab will show you the dimensions of the frames.
Was there a frame in particular you were wondering about?

I'm looking for ones similar in size to the MW frames. I need a wide frame.

vanuary

quality posts: 22 Private Messages vanuary
drakaeb wrote:I'm looking for ones similar in size to the MW frames. I need a wide frame.

Hi drakaeb. The Call of Duty MW3 frame is 137mm from hinge to hinge. The Halogen would be a close second at 135mm from hinge to hinge. Third place would go to the Rocket which is 132mm hinge to hinge.

philmills

quality posts: 2 Private Messages philmills
wunch wrote:FYI: that's a "sponsored post", which is Lifehacker's subtle way of saying "advertisement".

And the "Vision Council" appears to be nothing more than a trade organization / lobbying front for glasses manufacturers.
http://www.thevisioncouncil.org/content_1.cfm?navID=32

I'd really like some product like this to work (I'm a software engineer,so plenty of time spent staring at computer screens), but I'd need endorsements a little less bought-and-paid-for than that.

mrmysterious

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mrmysterious

I picked up a pair a month or so on here and figured that if it didn't work I was only out $40.

The first day I was kind of queasy from the minor correction.

The second day the correction didn't bother me.

After the third day I was reaching for them whenever I sat down at my desk.

I'm only using them for sitting at my desk at work and have noticed less strain on my eyes, as well as having the benefit of feeling overall less tired at the end of the day.

The yellow tint is a bit strange and took a little longer to get used to than the correction.

The only problem that I've had was when looking back and forth from my computer to a piece of paper on my desk. You have to make sure to get the sweet spot on your nose to keep from looking out from under the glasses when you look down.

If you are on the fence, might as well pick them up.

grumblegrumble

quality posts: 0 Private Messages grumblegrumble

I picked up the bit surfers last go 'round on woot and I do like them. I do have to comment though that while woot advertised them as "new" the box I received had the seal obviously cut open and I have to imagine they were returned/resold. At the price it was a good deal for "new", mediocre deal for used/"refurb". Not sure if I was the only one that got open box glasses, but I doubt it.

banix89

quality posts: 1 Private Messages banix89

I got a pair of the Wind Advanced last time they had this deal. They help make the screen easier on the eyes, but distort the view around the edges.

arth6250

quality posts: 0 Private Messages arth6250
corysterrett wrote:Bestbuy.com has some starting at $55. Sears.com has pairs starting from $60.
Also main Gunnar site has some pairs for $50 (probably soon to be discontinued?) http://shop.gunnars.com/outpost-web-exclusives/l/700

Not sure if all of those guys ship to Canada. It sounds like the main Gunnar site does from a quick google search. Don't beat me up too bad if I'm wrong.

Thanks for the heads up! I'll definitely check those out. And thanks woot for being so awesome! (even if you dont ship to canada all the time)!D

fuse404

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fuse404

Hopefully you can help me out, Vanuary. There are no specs for the Talons on the Gunnar webpage. Do you have that info?

Re: the product
Ordered a pair of Rockets for my self and so far I'm loving them. I've only had them for two days, but I managed to get in an 8 hour session to try them out and my eyes felt much better at the end than they normally do. The blue-blocking really helps cut the eye strain, and the magnification helps when you're reading a wall of text. I was also very impressed with the shape of the glasses. I wear contact lenses and they get very dry during long sessions, especially late at night. The lenses on the Rockets are shaped so that they help shield my eyes from airflow, reducing evaporation. This shape also means I can clearly see my 2nd screen when I glance over without having to turn my head. Also, even though the Rockets aren't part of their Gaming line, the frame is thin and light enough that I can comfortably wear even my largest pair of headphones.

So far I'm very pleased with the product and look forward to gaming more with them. My only real criticism is that there are practically no care instructions. They say to use an optical cleaning cloth (duh!) and a solution that is compatible with i-AMP technology... Of course the only solution they're admitting is compatible is their $10 lens cleaner. Last time a company sold me lens cleaner it was a $6 bottle of distilled water.

kazsmir

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kazsmir

How quickly does the standard shipping normally take to process deliver? I received the shipment notification a couple days ago, but the USPS tracking JUST came online today... Was hoping to have these this week, but I guess not.

Thanks

Update: Received them today, 11/16. Most of the reviews are spot on. When you first put them on, its a bit disconcerting... definitely adds clarity. Will post a review later after I've used them a few days.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 554 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

kazsmir wrote:How quickly does the standard shipping normally take to process deliver? I received the shipment notification a couple days ago, but the USPS tracking JUST came online today... Was hoping to have these this week, but I guess not.

Thanks

It's not unusual for the tracking number to be issued a couple days before the shipment. A vendor will notify the shipper of an impending shipment and receive tracking numbers. Tracking will update once the orders are released to the shipper and they scan everything into their system.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

leeashlynn09

quality posts: 0 Private Messages leeashlynn09

What if your ordering these but you need prescription lenses? Surely you can't just go on the site and order them. That and I don't think you are selling any of the prescription styles...

imbrothercain

quality posts: 0 Private Messages imbrothercain

I grabbed a pair of these last time they were on here; specifically the Stylus style and I love them.

They really do make the difference when staring at computer screen all day for work.

My only complaints are that they are incredibly easy to smudge and use in an office setting can invoke plenty of comments and questions.

daforgo10few

quality posts: 0 Private Messages daforgo10few
vanuary wrote:Hi daforgo10few. Have you read some of my other posts about getting prescription GUNNARS? Here's one that I think will be helpful: http://www.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5151212&pageindex=1&replycount=106#post5151749.

Of the frames available on this WOOT sale, I would suggest either the Wi-Five or Groove since they will handle a +3.00D to -8.00D prescription. If you want to make sure your prescription will fit, you can email me your prescription so that our Rx Department can verify which frames will work with your for you. Please email this to van@gunnars.com.

email sent vanuary. hoping for some good news.

vanuary

quality posts: 22 Private Messages vanuary
daforgo10few wrote:email sent vanuary. hoping for some good news.

Just responded to your email!

Dartagnan87

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Dartagnan87

Anyone else receive their package today and open it up to find that it was not Gunnar gaming glasses?

Just wondering if it was just me

corysterrett

quality posts: 2 Private Messages corysterrett
Dartagnan87 wrote:Anyone else receive their package today and open it up to find that it was not Gunnar gaming glasses?

HaHa, what'd you get?

Dartagnan87

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Dartagnan87
corysterrett wrote:HaHa, what'd you get?

Package with 5 very large bandages, shipped from amazon.

I think some poor person that desperately needed these bandages is opening a box with Gunnar glasses. O.o

fuse404

Dartagnan87 wrote:Anyone else receive their package today and open it up to find that it was not Gunnar gaming glasses?

I did get a pair of Raynes in a Talon box, thought that was pretty odd. They're already on their way back for a replacement.

ancyker

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ancyker

Gaming Glasses

See also: Snake oil and $100 HDMI Cables.

Seriously. I like how woot doesn't even try to justify purchasing these. They just have them and link to the manufacturers website.

daviskyle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages daviskyle

I'm clearly in the minority here, but I picked up a pair last time around (a "why the hell not" impulse purchase), and they make my eyes hurt almost instantly. Like they are dry and over tired ... Even at the start of the day. I'm still giving them a shot (and just using drops more frequently) because so many people have had good results, but in the 8-10 times I've used them so far, I haven't seen the benefit.

Un0fficial

quality posts: 17 Private Messages Un0fficial

Ordered the Cobalt Jem pair. Got it in the mail yesterday around 2pm. Wore it the rest of the day for work and now I'm up for work and wearing them. My eyes feel so much better, and I'm not squinting anymore.

If you just got a pair, try this: Wear them for an hour, and then take them off and look at your screen. You'll see the difference.

Intrepid Wooter
58 total woots including (Not all listed)
12/1/2010, 4/1/2011, 7/12/2011, 9/14/2011, 12/6/2011, 12/25/2011, 3/22/2012, 4/24/2012, 5/22/2012, 6/26/2012, 7/12/2012(5x), 8/21/2013, 12/3/2013, 1/15/2014, 4/22/2014, 6/2/2014 Bags of Crap

fourrayg

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fourrayg

So I got my pair of Rockets in the mail yesterday. Using them at work today, they make a really noticeable difference. Plus I just got PRK the other week, so the reduced eye strain is a huge plus.

On another note, were these supposed to come with protective sleeves? I know technically it said nothing about them being included, but the pictures implied that there would be one. Has anyone received a pair on this shipment with/without?

corysterrett

fourrayg wrote:So I got my pair of Rockets in the mail yesterday. Using them at work today, they make a really noticeable difference. Plus I just got PRK the other week, so the reduced eye strain is a huge plus.

On another note, were these supposed to come with protective sleeves? I know technically it said nothing about them being included, but the pictures implied that there would be one. Has anyone received a pair on this shipment with/without?

My JEM pair came with a white protective draw-string sleeve. I believe it was at the bottom of the box under the glasses.

soldier9599

quality posts: 0 Private Messages soldier9599

Yeah this is obviously a gimmick. These are just yellow tinted lenses with an anti-glare coating. The only glare an anti-glare coating will block is glare you would never have seen anyway if you weren't wearing glasses. People will fall for anything that's marketed well, won't they.

stascom wrote:How about dialing warmer colors in your monitor instead? If all they do is shift white balance and reduce brightness, why wouldn't I just calibrate my screen as such?

This will accomplish the same thing.

fuse404

soldier9599 wrote:Yeah this is obviously a gimmick. These are just yellow tinted lenses with an anti-glare coating. The only glare an anti-glare coating will block is glare you would never have seen anyway if you weren't wearing glasses. People will fall for anything that's marketed well, won't they.
This will accomplish the same thing.

I'm sure you know better than NASA, Swiss insurance, and my optometrist, but you might at least try a search engine before deciding to rage at a random eyewear company. Gunnar is just a new spin on proven tech that's over 20 years old. I guess you've never heard of BluBlockers?

But you don't have to take my word for it!

"Unlike UV light, blue light is visible to us. Blue light waves are what makes the sky, or any object, appear blue. Blue light waves are also very short and scatter easily, so a great deal of the glare we experience from sunlight also comes from blue light. Since we can't see UV light, we also can't see the lens filter used to protect us from UV rays. Conversely, since we can see blue light, we can also see blue blockers, the lens filters that block blue rays. Blue blockers do not act like regular sunglasses. They appear tinted, but they do not reduce overall light or make the world look darker. They alter the appearance of blue and green colors and reduce glare, but they don't affect the way other colors appear. In fact, they may even improve color contrast. Because of these characteristics, blue blockers were very popular a few years ago as sports glasses. Many people with macular degeneration find them particularly helpful regardless of their health benefits, because they reduce glare indoors and outdoors while keeping the world bright and visible."

from Macular Degeneration--The Complete Guide To Saving And Maximizing Your Sight
by Lylas G. Mogk, M.D. and Marja Mogk

meghano1989

quality posts: 5 Private Messages meghano1989

Is there a difference in these besides the style? Are the actual lenses different? I would like to get a pair for my brother who is a coder/programmer. After reading the comment below I'd also like to get a pair for myself for night driving. Even with 20/20 vision the glare from headlights really distracts me while driving at night. I'm just wondering which ones would be best and if anyone could help me out because after reading several of the descriptions I'm not really seeing a difference besides style.

snaldrich wrote:I have had mine for several years now. Forgot to take them off one night after gaming with my brother at his place and was very happy to note that they also help to reduce the glare from those ultra blue halogen headlights. Really makes a difference for me when driving at night. Love them.

corysterrett

meghano1989 wrote:Is there a difference in these besides the style? Are the actual lenses different? I would like to get a pair for my brother who is a coder/programmer. After reading the comment below I'd also like to get a pair for myself for night driving. Even with 20/20 vision the glare from headlights really distracts me while driving at night. I'm just wondering which ones would be best and if anyone could help me out because after reading several of the descriptions I'm not really seeing a difference besides style.

These glasses over here on woot all have the same color to them. On Gunnar's main site you can get glasses that have a clear "Crystalline Lens" that's better for people who work with photo/video editing and need to see true color.

They also offer sunglasses. Just mentioning that because that's the 3rd and final lens that they make.

fuse404

meghano1989 wrote:Is there a difference in these besides the style? Are the actual lenses different? I would like to get a pair for my brother who is a coder/programmer. After reading the comment below I'd also like to get a pair for myself for night driving. Even with 20/20 vision the glare from headlights really distracts me while driving at night. I'm just wondering which ones would be best and if anyone could help me out because after reading several of the descriptions I'm not really seeing a difference besides style.

My one note would be that most if not all of the computer and gaming glasses by Gunnar are +0.2 diopter lenses and may not be comfortable for viewing things farther away than a book or screen. Any regular blue blocker glasses should work for driving.

archbroseph

quality posts: 0 Private Messages archbroseph

NVM

Joseph Elliott

InspiredMom

quality posts: 1 Private Messages InspiredMom

Ok, in for 3 (!) - one for each of my gamer sons + 1 for me. Saw these at PAX East this year and really liked them, but waaaay too expensive. WOOT!

fourrayg

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fourrayg
corysterrett wrote:My JEM pair came with a white protective draw-string sleeve. I believe it was at the bottom of the box under the glasses.

It wasn't in there either. The only thing that came with it was a small black folded piece of paper with the warranty information inside the tube with the glasses, but nothing was in the box portion.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
fourrayg wrote:It wasn't in there either. The only thing that came with it was a small black folded piece of paper with the warranty information inside the tube with the glasses, but nothing was in the box portion.

Feel free to contact the manufacturer, then support@woot.com if you get any trouble from that!

I'm just hanging out, really.