WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Happy Music Monday! Today we're gonna talk about basslines, those things you never notice unless they're very, very, very good. But when they are, boy do they improve a song, right? Scott's picked five good ones but overlooked several on purpose, in hopes you might call him out on what he's missed. Go on, start taking notes so you can put him in his place. Here's the first one:

The Smiths - The Queen is Dead

Go find someone who likes The Smiths, and they'll talk for hours about the band. Go find someone who doesn't like The Smiths, and they'll probably say, "I would, if it wasn't for their lead singer." But when this song comes on, it's almost enough to make both sides agree. Andy Rourke knows when to get out of the way of the guitar, and when to make a bold move for control of the song. He might be standing behind Morrissey and Marr, but this song wouldn't be this song without him.

Off to a good start already! Grab your favorite Jaco Pastorius photo and meet Scott after the jump, he's got four more low and ready.

Hey! Remember our Spotify playlist will be featuring a great selection from last week's Music Monday comments. The theme of the mix this time is Political Songs so you can fondly remember those long-ago days when Barack Obama was still the president! But, anyway, before you start cheering/swearing, check out our current Music Monday below.

Marvin Gaye - Inner City Blues (Make Me Wanna Holla)

I had to limit each artist on this list to one song only, otherwise What's Going On would have taken five slots by itself. But since I could only pick one, this song won. The mix of smooth street-soundin' vocals over that jazzy bass pretty much set the standard for soul music immediately, and the record still holds up even today. If you've never heard it, fix that as soon as you can. And notice how good the basslines are.

Aerosmith - Sweet Emotion

There aren't very many times a bass player gets to do a solo as an intro, so that should help illustrate how beloved the low end of "Sweet Emotion" has become. Of course, the original was a hit well before videos were standard, but didn't that help add to the mystery? You might be sick of "Love In An Elevator" but "Sweet Emotion" still sounds fresh every time it sneaks onto your radio.

The Who - Boris The Spider

Yes, I've skipped a few great ones. No, I couldn't skip John Entwistle. This song might not have the smartest Who lyrics, but it certainly has one of the best basslines. Even over computer speakers you can still feel your lungs shaking, can't you?

Muse - Hysteria

Bass tracks normally aren't paced like guitar solos. That's part of the beauty of this Muse song. By just letting Christopher Wolstenholme just open it up, Muse creates something that's instantly recognizable and showcases just how hard a bassist can rock, when needed.

Scott would also like to add that that first person to post a Stranglers song in the comments will get his undying love and affection. Other than that, go nuts! Post what he missed! Then visit our Turntable.fm room for the regular Music Monday enjoyment, probably with much less bass… but you never know with them. Also, let us just remind you once again: some images come from the corresponding Wikipedia page and are here under fair use.

Quality Posts

wildcatfandave

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wildcatfandave

Another One Bites the Dust by Queen should be here, right? Hello? McFly?

tedzilla99

quality posts: 31 Private Messages tedzilla99

Got 2 for ya:

Big Time - Peter Gabriel
Tony Levin = The Man

Tommy the Cat - Primus

SAY BABY! Just about anything by Primus could go on this list, but this is one of my faves.

dwinn

quality posts: 4 Private Messages dwinn

Here's a good one:

strawhousepig

quality posts: 60 Private Messages strawhousepig

Oh my!

I'll just throw down an entire copy of Led Zeppelin II for starters and finish it up with Menahan Street Band - Make the Road By Walking (+ dem horns...)

Although, if we're really being honest here...

strawhousepig

The detuning bit in the middle of that Nilsson song is classic. What a smartass.

mossygreen

quality posts: 70 Private Messages mossygreen

Um, how about Making Plans for Nigel by XTC?

Or Peg by Steely Dan? (As a special bonus, here is a documentary clip where they talk about recording "Peg," at at approximately 1:40 in, the bass player talks about how they asked him to not play slap bass, but he thought he should, so he turned away from them and did it secretly.

Bonus: I have always found the bass in Something's in the House from Gary Numan's Tubeway Army very soothing. That song actually kept me in school one semester.

mossygreen

dwinn wrote:Here's a good one:

Oh! That's the bass-iest song of all time!

krusch

quality posts: 1 Private Messages krusch

It just so happened I was listening to "Penthouse and Pavement" by Heaven 17 when I saw this. That bass run through each iteration of the chorus is pretty amazing. (Apparently the bass player was 17.)

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33W3kMS2vp0

Also, you could pretty much put the entire front side of the first Violent Femmes album on here.

kevin rusch

CatCK

quality posts: 50 Private Messages CatCK

"The Chain", Fleetwood Mac

"These Boots Were Made for Walkin'", Nancy Sinatra

"Draggin' the Line", Tommy James

And one of the best openers ...

"Midnight Confessions", the Grass Roots

CatCK

strawhousepig wrote:Getting nervous Sir Paul may not get the spotlight. Definitely one of the best.

The Beatles - And Your Bird Can Sing (Mono) - YouTube
The Beatles(White Album)- Dear Prudence - YouTube
The Beatles-Obla Di Obla Da - YouTube
The Beatles - Penny Lane - YouTube
The Beatles - You Won't See Me - YouTube

etc.

Always thought he was very under-rated as a bass player. "And Your Bird Can Sing" is my all-time favorite Beatles song.

CatCK

Oh, how can I forget ...

"My Generation", The Who

mossygreen

CatCK wrote:Oh, how can I forget ...

"My Generation", The Who

It was a golden age, wasn't it?

dwinn

The Staple Singers' "I'll Take You There", featuring Patterson Hood's (of Drive by Truckers fame) dad David Hood on bass.

nejrob

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nejrob

There's always Stu Hamm. He plays Linus and Lucy on the bass

dwootshrute

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dwootshrute

An old pre-Stevie Nicks 1970 Fleetwood Mac tune, The Green Manalishi, is a long jam that really rocks with great bass.

tsarna

quality posts: 3 Private Messages tsarna

AZdeadhead

quality posts: 5 Private Messages AZdeadhead

Pink Floyd - One of These Days and Money.

Booker T. and the MGs - Green Onions.

Yes - Roundabout.

David Bowie and Queen - Under Pressure.

Cream - Sunshine of Your Love.

Sweet - Ballroom Blitz.

Michael Jackson - Billie Jean. (No, really)

Led Zeppelin - Dazed and Confused.

Plus many Black Sabbath, Megadeath, Anthrax and other assorted metal bands.

And I agree with the pre-Nicks Fleetwood Mac. Mick Fleetwood and John McVie are one of the best and most under-rated rhythm sections ever.

dell2342

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dell2342

Here you go

tsarna

dell2342 wrote:[Barney Miller theme]

One of my favorites!

workinpoor

quality posts: 15 Private Messages workinpoor

The Police: "Every Breath You Take."

tsarna

Paul Simon - You Can Call Me Al

bigjay686868

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bigjay686868

Really no vic yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEyEu-hS0fA&feature=fvst

Slydon

quality posts: 17 Private Messages Slydon

Staff

I gotta post my own Stranglers, I guess: Peaches

Hi, I'm one of the writers. My powers are limited but I'll do what I can.

NewspaperCrane

quality posts: 10 Private Messages NewspaperCrane

Icky Thump - The White Stripes

I miss me some wootTV.

dwinn

Herbie Flowers on Lou Reed's Walk on the Wild Side

rcgmail

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rcgmail
strawhousepig wrote:Oh my!

I'll just throw down an entire copy of Led Zeppelin II for starters and finish it up with Menahan Street Band - Make the Road By Walking (+ dem horns...)

Absolutely...Killing Floor/Lemon Song is my favorite of all time...

Outta room in the ol' sig area: Suffice to say, 30 Woots so far...total of 38 items...

pambo117

quality posts: 1 Private Messages pambo117

SpudWoot

quality posts: 4 Private Messages SpudWoot

How did Primus not make the list. Les Claypool has got to be one the greatest Base players of all time

strawhousepig

NewspaperCrane wrote:Icky Thump - The White Stripes

You are aware there is no bass used in this song, right? Or are you trying to get in on a technicality? :p

DJLarryDan

quality posts: 4 Private Messages DJLarryDan

Fugazi - The Waiting Room
http://youtu.be/RTWSSCYUD4E

zamoose

quality posts: 1 Private Messages zamoose

Your list is woefully incomplete without these additions:

Jane's Addiction "Been Caught Stealin'":

Depeche Mode "Personal Jesus":

The Gap Band "You Dropped a Bomb On Me":

Digital Underground "The Humpty Dance":

The Propellorheads "Spybreak":

CowboyDann

quality posts: 716 Private Messages CowboyDann

Right on with Aerosmith Sweet emotion. That was the first song to come to mind before I even read any of the song titles.

Here are a couple of my favorite baselines:
Led Zeppelin - Misty Mountain Hop

Lync - Uberrima Fides

And it wouldn't be a CBD post without some modest mouse
Modest Mouse - Tiny Cities Made of Ashes

strawhousepig

DJLarryDan wrote:Fugazi - The Waiting Room
http://youtu.be/RTWSSCYUD4E

Yesss!!

Unfortunately this gets me started again....

Nomeansno - Rags And Bones - YouTube
NoMeansNo - Living Is Free - YouTube
NoMeansNo - No Rest For The Wicked - YouTube
Nomeansno - Big cornucopia - YouTube [NSFW] (why yes, that is the word filter messing with comprehensible language)

apoor

quality posts: 2 Private Messages apoor

[Barney Miller theme: absolutely!]

A sleeper nomination: Paul Simon's "You Can Call Me Al" That explosion of a bass solo riff still gets me.

dwinn

The Who: The Real Me

strawhousepig

Too hard to resist.

AC/DC - Squealer - YouTube

dieseltravis

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dieseltravis

Red Hot Chili Peppers' version of Stevie Wonder's Higher Ground:

Black Sabbath's Paranoid:

Steppenwolf's Born To Be Wild:

Golden Earring's Radar Love:

Others beat me to Green Day's Longview, and Primus.

scottboileau

quality posts: 1 Private Messages scottboileau

John Munson (Semisonic, New Standards, Trip Shakespeare, & Twilight Hours) plays a mean bass. He also does some excellent fretless bass solos...

Kingbidgood