ohsnaparoomba

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ohsnaparoomba

These are total nonsense. You know, woot sometimes sells crappy items, but this is the first time I've seen then sell something that is basically a Fraud. I'm extremely disturbed by this, like "not sure I want to buy from woot anymore" disturbed. These bracelets do -nothing.- They are rubber bracelets with a hologram sticker. They have zero function other than to deprive the stupid of money. This nonsense has been debunked many times: ( http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2010/11/16/skeptic-check-power-bands/ ) and ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQs-IxOKywE ) and ( http://skepticbros.com/placebo-bands/ )

SERIOUSLY WOOT??????? I'm so angry right now, I can't even put it into words. Hey, if you're stupid enough to buy one of these, I hope you at least consider the Placebo Band, which has exactly the same effect, is much cheaper, and at least lets you admit that you are stupid: http://www.placebobandstore.com/

lwang

quality posts: 32 Private Messages lwang

Are these as effective as the 1ivestrong rubber bands?

jizake02

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jizake02

I can't believe we have so many crybabyfaces making comments.....the amount of complainers on here is incredible. Everyone knows these things don't work, which is why Woot is selling them so dang cheap! Woot isn't being deceiving or dishonest in any way. Does Woot claim anywhere on the ad that they work? The answer is no. Actually, Woot never even claims that the bracelet has a function at all!!!

LittleFoxx

quality posts: 1 Private Messages LittleFoxx

Gee wiz you guys whine a lot.... I ws actually going to get them because they looked neat. I had no idea that they "may/may not" do something. Heck I had to look all around just to find out why you all were squawking... lighten up... if they don't do anything who cares, it's not like they are saying these bracelets are going to cure cancer or something like that.. although technically if they are pushing on the pressure points on you wrists at the very least they are curbing nausea =P

brancher

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brancher
benjamis wrote:How can anyone claim no knowledge of whether they work or not? I know. They DON'T work. But fools and their money are soon parted, no one ever went broke underestimating the American people, etc.

Yes they do work. Mine work. Don't know how or why, but whenever I wear 'em (and I have 'em on every appendage on my body) crime doesn't happen around me and I can sometimes - on a good day - become invisible.

...you folks are so naive....

dnev

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dnev

canned vegetables guys. Come on... Shame

jmbunkin

quality posts: 28 Private Messages jmbunkin
LittleFoxx wrote:Gee wiz you guys whine a lot.... I ws actually going to get them because they looked neat. I had no idea that they "may/may not" do something. Heck I had to look all around just to find out why you all were squawking... lighten up... if they don't do anything who cares, it's not like they are saying these bracelets are going to cure cancer or something like that.. although technically if they are pushing on the pressure points on you wrists at the very least they are curbing nausea =P

+1

cappomutato

quality posts: 19 Private Messages cappomutato

These are perfect for when you need a lousy, large, overpriced rubber band. A little modification and it may work as a bumper for an iphone.

yay taco

wrek

quality posts: 4 Private Messages wrek

Black: Dimensional shift (short distance teleport)
Red: Fire suppression. I know, Fire would've been cool, but you know, suppression can be nice right?
Yellow: Electrical conductivity manipulation.
Blue: Extremely hydrophobic. Repels water.
Camo: mystery... try one and see?
Grey: Removes all concern. You become filled completely with apathy.
Sand: You can put people to sleep from up to 100 yards away.
White: Fight. Yep. Flight.

The bands can be mixed and matched. For example, Grey and Sand: you can put people to sleep from 100 yards but who cares?
White and Blue: You can fly underwater.
etc.,

You're so vain... you probably think this post is about you.. don't you? Don't you? You're so vain!

Woody1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages Woody1

I believe these are in the Affordable Care Act gift bags. But they call them Obama-Bands and will replace Wellness visits for all. Can be used as a contraceptive device as well.

800+ woots! - Talk to the Square or don't

cl21977

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cl21977

O-M-G, this will be the perfect centerpiece for my Sillybandz collection! =0 MUUUST WAAASTE HARD EARNED MOOOONEEEEY....

RocketboyX

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RocketboyX

Why not just buy a Placebo Band, where they are currently running a charity drive?

http://www.placebobandstore.com/

Regular band for $4, or if you want one of the new "ion watch" style placebos, only $5

keeping my string of quality free posts alive

disregod

quality posts: 0 Private Messages disregod

If these are the same guys that I have heard about, I believe they were instrumental in forcing Power Balance to offer refunds to customers in Australia. Although it has been a while since I heard the podcast so I may be mixing up the details.

They have had "Placebo Bands" made
(in the same factory as a manufacturer of 'legitimate' hologram bracelets).

http://skepticbros.com/placebo-bands/

disregod

quality posts: 0 Private Messages disregod

Why not just buy a Placebo Band, where they are currently running a charity drive?

Damn. You beat me by 11 minutes...

FinStu

quality posts: 1 Private Messages FinStu

My brother wears one of these. I told him it was all smoke and mirrors but he just wears his because it's University of Texas orange.

vagel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vagel
DaZoneRanger wrote:Anybody know if these will enhance the effectiveness of my anti-mind-control foil hat?

These are actually GPS tracking beacons to let the government know who is dim enough to be easily brainwashed by propaganda.

Your hat says no, but your wrist says yes.

Hey why is that carpet cleaning van still parked down the street after 3 days?

blue_94_trooper

quality posts: 10 Private Messages blue_94_trooper
ohsnaparoomba wrote: You know, woot sometimes sells crappy items, but this is the first time I've seen then sell something that is basically a Fraud.

Well then you haven't been paying attention, this is at least the third time they've sold these.

Oh, and lighten up Francis.

ghostchaser

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ghostchaser

I have been a WOOT customer for many years but this is just uncalled for. Why sell a product that is a scam?
I am going to have to rethink about my relationship with WOOT.

From the Power Band press release "In our advertising we stated that Power Balance wristbands improved your strength, balance and flexibility.

We admit that there is no credible scientific evidence that supports our claims and therefore we engaged in misleading conduct in breach of s52 of the Trade Practices Act 1974.

If you feel you have been misled by our promotions, we wish to unreservedly apologise and offer a full refund."

fir813

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fir813
jokers10 wrote:I have seen woot! sell quite a few weird items over the years, but I have never seen them trying to rip people off until today. Power balance bands along with many other branded pieces of plastic and magnets are nothing more than fashion statements. Even claiming no knowledge of is they work or not is disingenuous to your customer base.

NO Magnets, just stickers of holograms. In Australia power balance was forced to admit they have no scientific evidence to back up their claims.

weiweiqi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages weiweiqi

doesn't work on me at all

dennwhite

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dennwhite

I had one of these on my wrist for about two or three weeks when I noticed a red rash under it. After I took it off the rash turned to dead skin and peeled.

stewartj2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stewartj2

Only willing to buy if I can get one large enough to fit around my neck magnetizing the blood flow to my brain...the potential benefits are obvious.

hdtvcamera

quality posts: 3 Private Messages hdtvcamera

A foolish person's ID band. Great idea. We need to know who they are at first sight.

gumbright

quality posts: 2 Private Messages gumbright

Not cool Woot.

Its okay to try to sell us products that maybe dont work as well as the should or things that nobody in their right mind would need or unholy unions of toaster ovens and golf club washers.

But these things are debunked pieces of fraudulent crap that even the manufacturer will not make any claim to efficacy over anecdotal testimonials. The hallmark of a scam.

Shame.

cessna007

quality posts: 4 Private Messages cessna007

These are for the people who paid for whiskey rocks.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
cessna007 wrote:These are for the people who paid for whiskey rocks.

Unlike these, a lot of people actually seem to like those whiskey rocks.

YMMV.

I'm just hanging out, really.

DennisG2010

quality posts: 20 Private Messages DennisG2010

When Woot first posted these, I was just as angry and disappointed (disgusted, even) as many of those above me.
Now I'm just amused by the fact that they obviously purchase a very large quantity of something so undesirable and are trying desperately to sell them.
I definitely see a bucket of chum staple item, while supplies last.

BTW - if you wear these with the Gunnar gaming glasses, you will be leet at pwning newbs!

mamakin65

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mamakin65

Are these Power Bands what the Power Rangers use to wear?? If so I'm all in.

kevinnalts

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kevinnalts

How much would it suck to be the copyrighter for this entry. "A hologram improving your balance and strength." Sounds like a headline from The Onion.

kevinnalts

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kevinnalts
dennwhite wrote:I had one of these on my wrist for about two or three weeks when I noticed a red rash under it. After I took it off the rash turned to dead skin and peeled.

In fairness, this would be the first documented result from these things... not positive, but something.

zodar99

quality posts: 3 Private Messages zodar99

It's a disgrace for Woot to jump on the bandwagon of fleecing fools, even at a discount. This is shameful for you guys to have these on your site. They are an absolute rip-off and you know better.

geo8rge

quality posts: 33 Private Messages geo8rge

If you want to be featured on antiques roadshow 50 years from now, buy these and keep them in the original packaging. When they guy says where did you get them, you will have the original woot mailer.

(Overall signature size was getting large. Recommended signature size is 5k.)

DrunkCat

quality posts: 6 Private Messages DrunkCat

I really don't understand the outrage. I mean, I entirely understand hatin' on frauds and scams, but, Woot isn't selling you a cure, it's selling you a rubber band. No one is going to argue against you that these things actually work.

Seriously, spend your outrage on stuff that people actually still believe in, like religion.

Relax.

thezenmonkey

quality posts: 1 Private Messages thezenmonkey

People blowing off concerns as "whines" and so forth are completely missing the point.

We're not angry about this product alone. We're angry about how people make absolutely unconscionable amounts of money scamming other people with dreck like this. The people who make this stuff are no different from the people who sell you homeopathy, or "alternative" cancer cures. Yes, this *particular* item is harmless to the person wearing it. That does not mean the selling or promotion of it is harmless, when it encourages magical thinking and anti-science attitude. The person who buys this thinking it will help them is the same person who won't vaccinate themselves and/or their kids, helping to destroy herd immunity and putting everyone in danger. I'm really disappointed in woot for selling these at any price, and highly recommend those PlaceboBands mentioned above as an excellent alternative.

nanaejt

quality posts: 3 Private Messages nanaejt
DrunkCat wrote:I really don't understand the outrage. I mean, I entirely understand hatin' on frauds and scams, but, Woot isn't selling you a cure, it's selling you a rubber band. No one is going to argue against you that these things actually work.

Seriously, spend your outrage on stuff that people actually still believe in, like religion.

Are you drunk?

gfejer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gfejer

A rip off at 1/8 the price AND free shipping!

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

gfejer wrote:A rip off at 1/8 the price AND free shipping!

you wouldn't wanna pay full price, would you?

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

jrfinkel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jrfinkel

Pointless, stupid, waste of money.

gyung

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gyung

$4 per rubber wrist band is not cheap. These things probably cost $0.08 in materials, $0.06 in packaging and one MILLLION dollars for marketing (and lawyer fees).

haveabigjohnson

quality posts: 10 Private Messages haveabigjohnson

Woot, I was checking out the Powerbalance website. They have a list of unauthorized sellers, and Amazon is listed. These could be counterfeit! How can you guarantee me that my order of 1000000 will be real?! We REALLY need to check into this. I think it is funny that the form is called "report a fake" I think I will fill out a form and list Powerbalance.com as a fake.

http://www.powerbalance.com/report-a-fake