WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Turkey tastes best when:
  • 33.5% - baked 1331
  • 30.5% - deep-fried 1213
  • 26% - smoked 1035
  • 6% - not eaten (I’m a vegetarian) 237
  • 4% - it’s undergone some cooking procedure not listed here (comments, please!) 160
3976 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

Bgrant

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bgrant

Cooked in a Dutch Oven. ツ

wingedsurfgirl

quality posts: 25 Private Messages wingedsurfgirl

I bake it... But I also stuff it with rosemary and thyme. Yummmmm.

waterdogs

quality posts: 1 Private Messages waterdogs

Grilled.

ckeilah

quality posts: 149 Private Messages ckeilah

dead

Please do not increment my Quality Posts count. 69 is a good place to be. ;-)
MOD: We had to...we just HAD TO...

drakethegreat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages drakethegreat

Did you peepz think it meant what you can make? Deep-fried and Smoked are on a whole different level from Baked.

caseycat

quality posts: 2 Private Messages caseycat

I appreciate that props were given to us vegetarians! We got our very own answer option! W00t!

ltf217

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ltf217

roasted. although I heard deep fried is the way to go. hope to try it this year!

chrisville37

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chrisville37

when it's still gobbling

thearbiter

quality posts: 1 Private Messages thearbiter

I like to take leftover turkey, chop it up, throw it in a frying pan, and add ludicrous amounts of gravy. Simmer until the turkey absorbs all of the gravy. So gooooood.

bblhed

quality posts: 5 Private Messages bblhed
ltf217 wrote:roasted. although I heard deep fried is the way to go. hope to try it this year!

What this person said, there is no better way to soon a bird of any kind than on a spit over an open fire.

thedoctor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thedoctor

When it is stuffed with a duck, which itself is stuffed with a chicken. Turducken, yo!

ngibson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ngibson

I'm going to venture a guess that a large portion of the 'baked' population hasn't tried deep fried or smoked.

losbradley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages losbradley
thearbiter wrote:I like to take leftover turkey, chop it up, throw it in a frying pan, and add ludicrous amounts of gravy. Simmer until the turkey absorbs all of the gravy. So gooooood.

Sounds yummy! With leftover stuffing? Now I'm drooling...

wickedd365

quality posts: 3 Private Messages wickedd365

Covered in bacon

IAmGood

quality posts: 0 Private Messages IAmGood

It has been years since we have had a roasted turkey. We have been frying for at least five years and smoking for three years. Now we do both, very few leftovers.

dlcarst77

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dlcarst77

Leftover, cold on some delicious bread with swiss cheese, lettuce, tomato, and some good mustard.

Woots: 8
Hours wasted on Woot: countless
Regrets: 5

natedogg828

quality posts: 4 Private Messages natedogg828
dlcarst77 wrote:Leftover, cold on some delicious bread with swiss cheese, lettuce, tomato, and some good mustard.

and hopefully there is some leftover stuffing to toss on that sandwich

122 Woots to date across all sites (now Woot! says I am better than everyone else) including 7 Bags of Crap...snagged a Bunch of Centers (#6) to secure my black square!
Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com

spiralspeaker11

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spiralspeaker11

Stuffed with aromatics and roasted.

fossa4

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fossa4

barbecued.

fox016

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fox016

wrapped in bacon

stnkyjoe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stnkyjoe

Can you tell the pollsters don't cook? You don't bake a turkey, you roast it. I love turkey roasted, fried, smoked. Mostly I love it stuffed!

olperfesser

quality posts: 2 Private Messages olperfesser

Roasted, not baked with a couple of pieces of bacon on top. But I agree with bblhed, on a spit. My grill has such an attachment, and with a smaller turkey I would just let it spin and cook in its own juices.

JayBofMA

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JayBofMA

ROASTED!

polezrael

quality posts: 0 Private Messages polezrael

Baked after brining is amazing. I definitely recommend it!

zingriffy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages zingriffy

Turkeys are ROASTED not baked.

robertwooddellweaver

quality posts: 0 Private Messages robertwooddellweaver
stnkyjoe wrote:Can you tell the pollsters don't cook? You don't bake a turkey, you roast it. I love turkey roasted, fried, smoked. Mostly I love it stuffed!

Yeah, I'd go for a language check. Some chef's use them interchangeably, with roasting meat, poultry, and vegetables, while baking seafood. Other use them to indicate temperature, where baking indicates <300 (or <350) and roasting higher, with more rapid and pronounced Maillard reactions.

Perhaps they meant a turkey prepared over an EasyBake(tm) Oven.

eholling

quality posts: 10 Private Messages eholling

I have never had a more juicy, flavorful turkey than one that has been deep fried. Seriously, for those of you who voted baked, you're either trying to be traditional (which I can respect), or you've never had one fried. Succulent.

Bouts of Consternation:
8/17/11; 9/14/11; 10/12/11; 11/09/11, 12/06/11; 4/26/12

And right now.

Sheena3745

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Sheena3745

Covered on cajun seasoning & a bit of parmesan cheese, *then* on bacon, *then* roast it.

rainger

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rainger
thedoctor wrote:When it is stuffed with a duck, which itself is stuffed with a chicken. Turducken, yo!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

Ktodd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Ktodd

The turkey needs to be brined before cooking. I prefer to roast the turkey.

sharkbiteax

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sharkbiteax
ngibson wrote:I'm going to venture a guess that a large portion of the 'baked' population hasn't tried deep fried or smoked.

Dead on @ngibson. They're only answering what they know, either that or they tasted deep-fried or smoked when it wasn't done properly. Y'all come on down to Texas and I'll show you how it's done.

jkadegis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jkadegis

griled

legs032761

quality posts: 0 Private Messages legs032761

Grilled on a Charcoal Weber and smoked with mixture pecan and hickory, sitting on top a bed of root vegetables and stuffed with, the seasonal fruits, apples, pears, oranges

mrsly69

quality posts: 27 Private Messages mrsly69

I have had turkey BAKED, SMOKED, AND DEEP FRIED. All three are good, but when you get a perfectly baked Turkey, it hands down beats any method. The problem, it that most people don't know how to bake a perfect turkey. It is an art. As with anything, you must use proper seasoning and it does vary. When you get the a perfectly baked turkey, it is like heaven. Deep fried is good, but it isn't nearly as good as baked. The key to bake a turkey, is a good brine, seasoning (varies, but I go crazy with garlic, rosemary, EVO, thyme, salt pepper, safron), and LOVE. It is work to make a perfect turkey, but if done right, it is the BEST. Deep fried is good and easy. That is why it is gaining popularity. It is the lazy man way to cook, but is consistent.

hippie1981

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hippie1981

I've only ever had it baked, but i bet deep-fried tastes best. Frying something always makes it taste better.

cappo

quality posts: 22 Private Messages cappo

Absolutely the best turkey I have ever tasted (I don't care much for turkey but I finished off the levtovers without ever getting tired of it!) is Alton Brown's recipe from the Thanksgiving episode of Good Eats.

Brined in vegetable stock plus a few extra ingredients, the inner cavity filled only with flavor giving ingredients (because stuffing is evil, and easily made outside the bird) then cooked at a high temp for 30 minutes before slapping on the turkey triangle for the remainder of the lower temperature roasting time.

Everyone who ate it admits it was the best turkey ever. NO GRAVY REQUIRED! Even leftovers were juicy and delicious, I cannot stop talking about it even to this day. I'm using that recipe again this year.

Barrysd55

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Barrysd55

I just had one of those giant smoked turkey drumsticks from a vendor at Universal Studios in Florida, it was amazing!

onthedl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages onthedl

If you don't brine your turkey, you don't know what you're doing!

facemeetpavement

quality posts: 0 Private Messages facemeetpavement

i'm just guessing that most people who didn't say smoked have never had it. i hadn't until last year and its one of the best things i've ever eaten. i'm sure there are some people who just don't like smoked things, but otherwise everyone should try to get their hands on some.